Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
So is GRRM still blogging about pizza and football instead of working on the books?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Joramun posted:

I just got this recommended to me on Amazon. Apparently Dozois and the Gurm are releasing another collection of short stories this June, featuring a new ASoIaF tale "chronicling one of the biggest rogues in the entire history of Ice and Fire". That can only be Ser Pounce.

the gurm is editing Gaiman's work? Jesus tittyfuck christ.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Davros1 posted:

Awesome world builder.

American Tolkein. Remember the scenes with Bilbo twisting young Samwise's titties?

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

frodo's manhood glistened wetly

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
he gently removed his fingers from sam's rohirric swamp

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Fog Tripper posted:

Remember: He's not your bitch!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nothus posted:

Remember: He's not your bitch!

No, but Gaiman apparently is his now. :v:

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

The fatsmug leading the tweesmug.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
So apparently someone raped the poo poo out of someone on the show last night, I dunno I haven't watched this season yet 'cos I'm busy.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fog Tripper posted:

If by "editing" you mean his publisher is putting his name on the cover...

Shoehead posted:

So apparently someone raped the poo poo out of someone on the show last night, I dunno I haven't watched this season yet 'cos I'm busy.

yeah they reinterpreted a scene as MORE rapey than GRRM, perhaps as a bet?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

kcroy posted:

The only thing I could think of fitting in at where the show is at is Jaime loving Cersei on the corpse of their dead incest child, in a chapel, while she is on the rag. And if they made that rapey then holy loving poo poo.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shoehead posted:

The only thing I could think of fitting in at where the show is at is Jaime loving Cersei on the corpse of their dead incest child, in a chapel, while she is on the rag. And if they made that rapey then holy loving poo poo.

wow that is cute you spoiled something in this thread. and yep, that's the scene! While it isn't her "moon time" or w/e, she is like NO ITS WRONG! and he is really agressive, holding her down, tearing off her shrift ( or some other layer of women's clothing - its like a labyrinth down there, so I'm not gonna pretend I know what I'm talking about when it comes to underclothing from ye ancient times ). I'm embarrassed to admit I looked away, because you know, incest rape, and I'm not sure even how the scene ended.

edit: guess its a "shift" not "shrift"...

kcroy fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Apr 21, 2014

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
God the TV show has visibly lost pace after the War of the Five Kings ended. The story didn't seem so laggard in the books. If they don't kick some life into this show in the next few episodes they might actually lose a significant portion of the viewers by the time the season comes to an end.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

OhYeah posted:

God the TV show has visibly lost pace after the War of the Five Kings ended. The story didn't seem so laggard in the books. If they don't kick some life into this show in the next few episodes they might actually lose a significant portion of the viewers by the time the season comes to an end.

I kind of feel the same way. They named this episode Breaker of Chains, Dany of course, and she was in the episode for what, five minutes? Are they purposefully making her story crawl?

I also kind of wondered how Dany had like a dozen catapults too but whatever. Suspend my disbelief I guess.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

kcroy posted:

wow that is cute you spoiled something in this thread. and yep, that's the scene! While it isn't her "moon time" or w/e, she is like NO ITS WRONG! and he is really agressive, holding her down, tearing off her shrift ( or some other layer of women's clothing - its like a labyrinth down there, so I'm not gonna pretend I know what I'm talking about when it comes to underclothing from ye ancient times ). I'm embarrassed to admit I looked away, because you know, incest rape, and I'm not sure even how the scene ended.

edit: guess its a "shift" not "shrift"...

I've gone soft!

Also holy loving poo poo, show, what are you at?!

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
This is the bit where the show runners need to become Tywin Lannister ruthless and start shredding and discarding crappy slow moving plot. Were it up to me, I'd compress the second half of book 3 and books 4 and 5 into season 4 and 5 and then be ready with fresh original material in season 6+7 wrapping the story up then.

They have the outline, GRRM has about outlived his usefulness.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hunky Joe posted:

I kind of feel the same way. They named this episode Breaker of Chains, Dany of course, and she was in the episode for what, five minutes? Are they purposefully making her story crawl?

I also kind of wondered how Dany had like a dozen catapults too but whatever. Suspend my disbelief I guess.

I thought she was throwing the bodies of the slave children at them, and I thought that was pretty grimdark. I was wrong :(

PS: she should have thrown some goddamn weapons along with those chains.

PPS: what kind of lovely slave collar comes OFF?!?!

The pace of this show will be interesting. I assume that it's gonna be a long rear end trial. Dany begins her misrule. poo poo will be happening at the wall that is interesting. Today's episode seemed so short.. like there is SO MUCH poo poo HAPPENING that is interesting, its hard having it served out parcel by parcel. I'm really looking forward to season 5 and a super condensed feast/dance, and the stunning conclusion in season 7!

or something.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

kcroy posted:

incest rape

Wasn't Jaime supposed to be likable at this point, what the hell? :psyduck:

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Franz von Dada posted:

He is all passionate I guess? and I don't know why she is being such a jerk about his hand, or about him getting captured. I always pictured her a bit more petulant about that stuff, hurt, not bat poo poo mean/crazy.

I loved Tywin's scene btw - he was much less heavy handed than I pictured him, which played well.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

kcroy posted:

It's just as rape in the book, she just starts saying yes sooner.

Oh, and here, because those of you who don't have the book or haven't read it in a while should suffer just as I have.

we gave this man money posted:

That night, when Khal Drogo came, Dany was waiting for him. He stood in the door of her tent and looked at her with surprise. She rose slowly and opened her sleeping silks and let them fall to the ground. “This night we must go outside, my lord,” she told him, for the Dothraki believed that all things of importance in a man’s life must be done beneath the open sky.

Khal Drogo followed her out into the moonlight, the bells in his hair tinkling softly. A few yards from her tent was a bed of soft grass, and it was there that Dany drew him down. When he tried to turn her over, she put a hand on his chest. “No,” she said. “This night I would look on your face.”

There is no privacy in the heart of the khalasar. Dany felt the eyes on her as she undressed him, heard the soft voices as she did the things that Doreah had told her to do. It was nothing to her. Was she not khaleesi? His were the only eyes that mattered, and when she mounted him she saw something there that she had never seen before. She rode him as fiercely as ever she had ridden her silver, and when the moment of his pleasure came, Khal Drogo called out her name.

They were on the far side of the Dothraki sea when Jhiqui brushed the soft swell of Dany’s stomach with her fingers and said, “Khaleesi, you are with child.”

“I know,” Dany told her.

It was her fourteenth name day.

I'd also like to remind everyone that this was in the first book. He absolutely had the chance to age them if he wished. It wasn't a 13 year old embracing her sexual power that made him regret the ages in this book. It was murdermonkey Arya.

LEFTENANT RIGHTIE
Dec 29, 2008
LONGWINDED MISOGYNY GIMMICK

rypakal posted:

It's just as rape in the book, she just starts saying yes sooner.

no see it wasnt rape in the book because some women just take a little longer to enjoy it at first but you just have to keep at it until they do and then its not rape
-the bad thread

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Saw a friend post on Facebook how he was disappointed that Daerneys hasn't done anything yet on the show.

Oh sweet summer child.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Joramun posted:

I just got this recommended to me on Amazon. Apparently Dozois and the Gurm are releasing another collection of short stories this June, featuring a new ASoIaF tale "chronicling one of the biggest rogues in the entire history of Ice and Fire". That can only be Ser Pounce.

Looked at this and thought 'oh, EDITEDBYGURM's name isn't as big as usual'. Then I realised it's loving on there twice.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President
I can't remember, in the books what was Tywin's stance on Tyrion's trial? Surely he's not so stupid as to believe Tyrion would have poisoned Joffrey that obviously, but he never seems to use his influence to actually stop his son's death spiral towards an execution. The way I remember it, the whole process was being driven by Cersei's irrational loathing, but now that I think of it it makes no sense that Tywin would just let that happen unless he was cool with it. Was he looking at this as a fine opportunity to finally knock off his least favorite little spawn?

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Tywin was basically planning on commuting Tyrion's execution and sending him to the Wall, which is really killing two birds with one stone.

Even if Tywin had been more interested in clearing Tyrion's name, Cersei was on such a huge warpath that nothing was going to stop her.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

CPFortest posted:

Even if Tywin had been more interested in clearing Tyrion's name, Cersei was on such a huge warpath that nothing was going to stop her.
And even if you somehow manage to convince her it's not Tyrion, it's really likely she would then start an insane witch-hunt for the culprit in court and her next target would be the Tyrell.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Toplowtech posted:

And even if you somehow manage to convince her it's not Tyrion, it's really likely she would then start an insane witch-hunt for the culprit in court and her next target would be the Tyrell.

Cersei should just be locked up somewhere to keep her out of trouble.

Patience...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Franz von Dada posted:

Basically, most of the half decent characters* in the book aren't being portrayed very well by the show writers. Jaime and Stannis particularly. They're not really doing a good job of making Jaime sympathetic in the least, and the show Stannis is decidedly not the Mannis. Instead of Stannis seemingly going along with R'hllor and Melisandre to fulfil his goals in the books and not really being a believer, they've just got him as a doormat and Melisandre's puppet. Ours is the fury. :smith:

*Davos and Tywin are pretty good in the show.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 21, 2014

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I don't get how you can watch the Blackwater episode and not think TV-Stannis is the Mannis.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Joramun posted:

Funny bit, that "Game of Thrones" story mention. Martin may as well mosey off to the cattle pen and let the show producers burn an HBO brand on his rump.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

AtAt-de-fay posted:

Funny bit, that "Game of Thrones" story mention. Martin may as well mosey off to the cattle pen and let the show producers burn an HBO brand on his rump.

Ugh I didn't even notice that. Oh well, not like anybody in real life calls the series by the original title anymore since nobody knows what it means and books are the devil I guess.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I think some of the latest paperbacks have GAME OF THRONES in big writing with the name of the book as a sub heading. They might not even mention ASOIAF.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Just wait until you get your hands on "The World of Ice and Fire: The Untold History of Westeros and the Game of Thrones"

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Junkenstein posted:

I think some of the latest paperbacks have GAME OF THRONES in big writing with the name of the book as a sub heading. They might not even mention ASOIAF.

Well they are the officially licensed novelizations, after all.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

HidaO-Win posted:

This is the bit where the show runners need to become Tywin Lannister ruthless and start shredding and discarding crappy slow moving plot. Were it up to me, I'd compress the second half of book 3 and books 4 and 5 into season 4 and 5 and then be ready with fresh original material in season 6+7 wrapping the story up then.

That's my thinking too, that is probably the longest they can stretch the series to considering the written material so far. If they play to drag AFFC/ADWD stuff for any longer than that then God help us all.

Junkenstein posted:

Then I realised it's loving on there twice.

Hahaha better milk it while everyone still associates your name with the series.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Some characters are going to hit the end of book 5 this season, no idea what they are going to do. I haven't actually watched everything yet, I'm in season 3, but no way can they stretch out bran or theon long enough for another season on top of this one. I guess the show is reaching the part that GRRM found hard to write, I guess they have similar figuring out to do.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Did James rape Sersí in the books?

I don't remember it.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Hogge Wild posted:

Did James rape Sersí in the books?

I don't remember it.

A Storm of Swords posted:

She touched his face. "I was lost without you, Jaime. I was afraid the Starks would send me your head. I could not have borne that." She kissed him. A light kiss, the merest brush of her lips on his, but he could feel her tremble as he slid his arms around her. "I am not whole without you."

There was no tenderness in the kiss he returned to her, only hunger. Her mouth opened for his tongue. "No" she said weakly when his lips moved down her neck, "not here. The septons..."

"The Others can take the septons." He kissed her again, kissed her silent, kissed her until she moaned. Then he knocked the candles aside and lifted her up onto the Mother's altar, pushing up her skirts and the silken shift beneath. She pounded on his chest with feeble fists, murmuring about the risk, the danger, about their father, about the septons, about the wrath of gods. He never heard her. He undid his breeches and climbed up and pushed her bare white legs apart. One hand slid up her thigh and underneath her smallclothes. When he tore them away, he saw that her moon’s blood was on her, but it made no difference.

"Hurry," she was whispering now, "quickly, quickly, now, do it now, do me now. Jaime Jaime Jaime." Her hands helped guide him. "Yes," Cersei said as he thrust, "my brother, sweet brother, yes, like that, yes, I have you, you're home now, you're home now, you’re home." She kissed his ear and stroked his short bristly hair. Jaime lost himself in her flesh. He could feel Cersei's heart beating in time with his own, and the wetness of blood and seed where they were joined.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

So the showrunners thought that there weren't enough rape?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Hogge Wild posted:

So the showrunners thought that there weren't enough rape?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_urvjCXg6c