Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Digital War posted:

Here's the finished product.

According to recent posts in the thread it's still standing.

Yup.

I drove out to see it a few months back and was amazed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Someone needs to sneak over there in the middle of the night and put that thing out of its misery. Then when the fire dept. shows up to put it out, someone at the city eventually figures out that there wasn't a permit or inspection for it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Couldn't you just call up the local regulatory agencies and tattle-tale on it? Burning it down or just pushing it over might destroy the evidence of how terribly it's built.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

just pushing it over might destroy the evidence of how terribly it's built

Somehow...I feel like this might not be the case...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So we're having Veridian Homes build us a house. It's pretty exciting for I've never built a house before. Right now it's just an empty corner lot.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
When is the last time you were sorely disappointed by nothing happening when there was supposed to be something happening?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Suave Fedora posted:

When is the last time you were sorely disappointed by nothing happening when there was supposed to be something happening?

I can think of a few dates I went out where I was sorely disappointed by nothing happening.

They said the time from starting to dig the hole until move in time is 4 months. Of course it all depends on selling my condo. Anyone want a condo in Madison, WI?

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Haha, good counter. I'm just ribbin' ya. I hope it goes as planned but the unfortunate reality (as it is in South Florida) is that these things often get delayed, at a minimum, by three months. I have a friend waiting on a house to be finished in August, and another relative in September, and the September one is still getting kickback from the county on permits.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

4 months to build a house??? That seems crazy, unless it's "dropping off a mobile home on a slab and hooking up utilities".

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

4 months to build a house??? That seems crazy, unless it's "dropping off a mobile home on a slab and hooking up utilities".

I know right? We'll see. It's this home:

http://www.veridianhomes.com/build/plans/the-kennedy?sort=alpha-rev&show=12&page=1

I see all these horror stories in this thread and it makes sense to pay extra so I don't have to worry as much. 30 year warranty on water in the basement makes me thrilled.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Six to seven months is average, so I could see 4 for a template home. Things move a lot faster when you have made the same house 30 times.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So it's like a company that has set designs they know how to build really quickly?? That's an interesting concept. I guess if you've been building the same house over and over and have all the supply chains and work-flow down pat you could maybe pull it off. Never seen anything like that before. It's called a template home?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah basically they have like 20 set designs, but it's totally customizable. For instance, I'm adding 4 feet to the garage, removing the half wall up the stairs and putting in a railing system, removing the tub in the master bath and putting in a kick rear end shower, etc etc etc.

The house might be 219k, but it's gonna be closer to 275k when it's all said and done.

One of their engineers added all the changes to the schematics and printed them out for me.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
On a semi-related note, one thing I've always kind of wanted to do is build a geodesic dome house from a kit. It just seems like it'd be a lot of fun to build, though I'm not so sure how usable all the square footage would be since a lot of the walls are curved.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

GreenNight posted:

So we're having Veridian Homes build us a house. It's pretty exciting for I've never built a house before. Right now it's just an empty corner lot.

You know this is the terrible construction thread, right? Was this just an introduction so we'll all know the backstory?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

uwaeve posted:

You know this is the terrible construction thread, right? Was this just an introduction so we'll all know the backstory?

Welp. I'll shut up now.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

GreenNight posted:

Welp. I'll shut up now.

I wasn't trying to be a dick, I honestly hope you don't have content for the thread :v:

This may be the right place for general construction stuff, I don't know. It just hit me that it's like a grand setup: you've picked out your custom dream house. You're a courteous, pragmatic person introducing yourself so we know what's going on when it comes time to tell us about the bonus fecal fountain in your yard or how the garage wound up down the hill or something.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Honestly, I've been following this thread for ages, and didn't have much to contribute. I am absolutely terrible at home improvement and not very handy. It's one big reason I'm going with a new build.

I guess I can talk about the shirt I found in the dryer vent half way in the attic of my condo. Almost burned the drat place down.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Baronjutter posted:

I've been watching some new homes come up next to the highway on my drive into work, and while I haven't been keeping careful track (nor seeing the state of the interior), they're easily beating 4 months. Maybe even 3. Checking now, they're Veridian.

uwaeve posted:

If it holds true to what I've heard of Veridian's reputation, he posted it in the right thread.

(to reassure GreenNight a little bit, I've only heard from people who's opinions are definitely colored by their distaste for the cramped cookie cutter subdivision, which of course Veridian specializes in)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pretty much every house here is unique and designed by an architect and they're mostly pretty ok, yet still ugly cheap suburban looking poo poo gets built. I'm not even talking a matter of taste ugly, I mean objectively by every measure really badly designed ugly poo poo. It boggles my mind how someone can hire a trained architect, pay like 10k for the design, 500k for the land, and 400k for the construction, and out of all of that they decided "Huge cheap stucco box with off-the-shelf details inconsistently tacked to the outside in a horrible mix of eras and styles."

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah, our lot is quite small, so I definitely understand. They didn't hide that fact and you can easily see it when you drive around the neighborhood. People have no room to complain about that though because they know it going in.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, I don't understand how people can buy a house in a subdivision and then complain about the house being in a subdivision.

:confused:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Slugworth posted:

Six to seven months is average, so I could see 4 for a template home. Things move a lot faster when you have made the same house 30 times.

uwaeve posted:

Just wait. Those houses are typically slapped together with pre-built walls and trusses.

They're quite interesting as the age or burn.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Veridian?! :ohdear: Yeah your house is likely going to belong in this thread. I would REALLY suggest visiting the construction site on a regular basis to make sure things don't get to messed up.

I have lived in Madison, WI my whole life and the people that run Veridian, formerly Don Simon Homes and many others, have a reputation as being home "slap it together with cheap unskilled day labors-ers" rather than actual home builders. This review pretty much sums up most people's experience with a Veridian home.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

MH Knights posted:

Veridian?! :ohdear: Yeah your house is likely going to belong in this thread. I would REALLY suggest visiting the construction site on a regular basis to make sure things don't get to messed up.

I have lived in Madison, WI my whole life and the people that run Veridian, formerly Don Simon Homes and many others, have a reputation as being home "slap it together with cheap unskilled day labors-ers" rather than actual home builders. This review pretty much sums up most people's experience with a Veridian home.

I've been in Madison the last 20 years or so. We'll see what happens. This is the first negative thing I've seen concerning them. I work with a half dozen or so folks who have had houses built by them and has nothing but good things to say.

Might be moot though, because the lady that was suppose to buy my condo canceled after driving around the neighborhood saying that there was too many minorities for her liking.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Too many minorities for her in Wisconsin? That's pretty impressive racism.

Don't let the thread freak you out - Staying on top of the company as they build the place will ensure that it comes out OK. Contractors will only be as lazy as they think they can get away with. Find a friend that knows construction or even periodically hire an inspector to visit the site with you.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
When I hear Veridian, all I see is this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRQieGR1iUU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I have a couple of building design questions, and this seems the most appropriate place to ask. These are for the detached backyard workshop that I'm still slowly working on (current status: first round of planning approval failed, mostly because my site plan needs more details). In the interests of not having the resulting structure show up in this thread...

1) I belatedly realized that my plan doesn't call for eaves on the "ends" of the building (the 16' walls of the 16'x24' structure). There's eaves on the long walls, but not on the short. Is this a problem? We have a fairly mild climate (San Francisco Bay Area) but do get the occasional storm with driving rain.

2) Any recommendations on siding? My house is blue stucco, which I'm not about to try to replicate, but part of the approval process is that they want to make sure that the structure doesn't clash too much with the house. Why this matters considering the structure won't be visible from the street, I don't know. The siding will be placed on 3/4" sheathing, for what it's worth.

3) On that note, any opinions on OSB vs. plywood sheathing?

4) Currently my plan is to handle building construction first and then do electrical later, just in the interests of simplifying the main construction phase (I'll be contracting out the electrical work anyway). This will apparently require two planning approval processes. How stupid is this? Should I just bite the bullet and plan in the electrical system now?

5) On that note, I'd like to have accessible ceiling outlets so I don't have to run power cords into the middle of the room. However, the ceiling is a vaulted ceiling, with the rafters hanging from a ridge beam that's 12' off the ground. I guess I could run some 16' beams across the room at intervals and stick outlets on those, but that seems kind of hokey and defeating the purpose of having a nice open ceiling. Any ideas?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

3) On that note, any opinions on OSB vs. plywood sheathing?
Plywood for the roofing, OSB for the sheathing. It's cheaper, and you don't need the strength of plywood.

quote:

5) On that note, I'd like to have accessible ceiling outlets so I don't have to run power cords into the middle of the room. However, the ceiling is a vaulted ceiling, with the rafters hanging from a ridge beam that's 12' off the ground. I guess I could run some 16' beams across the room at intervals and stick outlets on those, but that seems kind of hokey and defeating the purpose of having a nice open ceiling. Any ideas?
There should be some options for dangling retractable cords out there that will let you keep the wiring up on the ceiling but have retractable drops where you need them.

Alternately, if you're going to have a slab poured, put some 2" conduit to strategic places in the floor and not have any electrical cluttering the floor or airspace where you don't want it. That's my plan, some day, if I don't get to do the raised floor like I want. And if I do, the electrical will STILL be under the floor surface. :)

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 26, 2014

stash
Apr 18, 2007

It's not what you think...
Pillbug
From reddit:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

is that a fan hanging from a drop ceiling tile :pwn:

stash
Apr 18, 2007

It's not what you think...
Pillbug
It's cool, they used an "old work" box since the drop ceiling tiles are old.

If it was spinning while it fell, the romex would probably hold it up while it thrashed around the room destroying itself.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That picture is just perfect.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Yeah, our lot is quite small, so I definitely understand. They didn't hide that fact and you can easily see it when you drive around the neighborhood. People have no room to complain about that though because they know it going in.

Hey, I don't know Veridian's work, but, based on looking at your link, and what I've seen from a friend's recent house-buying issues, you need to seriously ask them what the plan is, if you have a plumbing issue with those bathrooms. In one, the wet wall is in a walk-in closet, so it's easy to put in an access panel, but the other one, holy poo poo, the wet wall backs up on the main hallway. If you have a leak or something, and it's very possible, considering it's being put up in a loving hurry, you're doing demo-work to get at it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

kizudarake posted:

Hey, I don't know Veridian's work, but, based on looking at your link, and what I've seen from a friend's recent house-buying issues, you need to seriously ask them what the plan is, if you have a plumbing issue with those bathrooms. In one, the wet wall is in a walk-in closet, so it's easy to put in an access panel, but the other one, holy poo poo, the wet wall backs up on the main hallway. If you have a leak or something, and it's very possible, considering it's being put up in a loving hurry, you're doing demo-work to get at it.

Good point. They do give a 30 year warranty against water in the basement and a 10 year against plumbing (and electrical) issues, but that's something to be aware of too.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I say run beams (ceiling joists) so that you can store extra poo poo up in the rafters, copy the last picture fron this post. That post from AI's horrible failures thread is a little shop of horrors that belongs in this thread.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

kizudarake posted:

Is this a regional thing? I'm not saying access panels aren't a good idea, but with the exception of whirlpool tubs, I have literally never seen an access panel for plumbing, and I worked in water damage restoration for the last seven years. Plumbing being inaccessible without demo is very much the norm here, and wouldn't scare me away from a home.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FClGhto1vIg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Crotch Fruit posted:

I say run beams (ceiling joists) so that you can store extra poo poo up in the rafters, copy the last picture fron this post. That post from AI's horrible failures thread is a little shop of horrors that belongs in this thread.

Part of the goal of the vaulted ceiling was so that I wouldn't have ceiling joists; I want a nice open space here (and I also have specced in skylights in the roof plan; not much point for those if there's joists in the way!). I mean I guess I could have joists over only part of the space...ehh.

Also, that workshop is even more of a deathtrap than my garage is. Cripes.