Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

It would be realyl funny if they just skipped everything in the last 2 books and next season was the finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
In the book they're all killed by Coldhands, and aren't a plot point at all.

Lands of Always Winter... eternal, 17 year mystery, revealed at the end of a random episode in Season 3 when there is still bucketloads of book content to wade through...

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

kcroy posted:

What the gently caress happens to the group at craster's in the books. are they just not mentioned? I had written them off, but perhaps that was clever misdirection by the grrm?

Coldhands kills them. Since Coldhands is cut, they wrote a new bit for Jon.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
I would guess the Showrunners decided that a proper adaptation of Bran's Book 3 and 5 plotline would have sucked, the mutineers being killed offscreen by Coldhands is anti-climatic (especially with Rast's larger presence in the series), and that the possibility of Jon and Bolton's man running into Bran north of the wall is a tempting story idea.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

Jesus, that was great. I'm all for any new material in Westeros I can get, so the Bran/Others changes were definitely welcome.

Can't wait to see what the Mountain that Blogs says about this.

Saeka fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 28, 2014

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I found the unison chant by Craster's wives to be super cheesy, other than explicitly showing the transformation of a baby into an other there wasn't any new lore really, in the books when Sam spirits Gilly and her boy away from the keep he is told by the other wives that "the boy's brothers are coming", and those are clearly the others.

Though I agree that the show's changes to Bran and the mutineers makes some decent TV and is generally a good change.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

It's just more dudes for Jon Snow to badassfully kill.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I found the unison chant by Craster's wives to be super cheesy, other than explicitly showing the transformation of a baby into an other there wasn't any new lore really, in the books when Sam spirits Gilly and her boy away from the keep he is told by the other wives that "the boy's brothers are coming", and those are clearly the others.

Though I agree that the show's changes to Bran and the mutineers makes some decent TV and is generally a good change.

Its more the fact the guy with horns was confirmed as the Night's King, all but confirming a few theories and killing off a few others, as well as cementing the Others as a definite organised group etc.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
Well well well.

If I'd be Gurm, I'd be making GBS threads myself right now. I think the story changes so far are a sign of the show's writers' mistrust of Gurm and his ability to complete his own saga. I think they have taken an obvious choice to steer the show into the direction they see fit, with less regard to the books because they know by the time season 6 will start filming, they are on their own with no "source material" to use.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah they're almost fully into completely new territory with some of the plot threads and books ahead with others.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pretty interesting little change, or advance spoiler. Whatever we're calling it. Nice to see Darth Maul getting work.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Not to mention the entire Stannis - Jon + Winterfell storyline is shot to poo poo as Jon knows Bran is alive. Also this random Bolton chap at the wall (Locke?). No Coldhands has been confirmed by the actor that plays Sam. Possibly no Victarion, and Asha is loving off around the entire continent of Westeros with 50 men to march on the Dreadfort (LOL).

Also loving hilarious how through a series of stupid scene jumps and lines, the following was revealed:

- Blatantly obvious who killed Joffrey (lol this was just retarded, why did they make it so explicit)
- Blatantly obvious Sansa will kill Littlefinger ("Shes not a killer... yet Cut to Sansa looking at Littlefinger")
- Obvious Jon won't kill Ygritte, it'll be Random Orphan Boy Whose Dad Ygritte Killed - he's a "great archer" and they did a ton of lingering shots of him getting a good look at her.

So yeah, I'm done.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Wait so the Wildlings who went over the wall still haven't attacked Castle Black or what?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Nope. Supposedly, since Jon escaped back to Castle Black and they've lost their element of surprise, they trying to lure the crows out into the open using village raids. Some are theorizing that the show writers are going to have both sides of the attack happen simultaneously.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Lord Twisted posted:

Also loving hilarious how through a series of stupid scene jumps and lines, the following was revealed:

- Blatantly obvious who killed Joffrey (lol this was just retarded, why did they make it so explicit)
- Blatantly obvious Sansa will kill Littlefinger ("Shes not a killer... yet Cut to Sansa looking at Littlefinger")
- Obvious Jon won't kill Ygritte, it'll be Random Orphan Boy Whose Dad Ygritte Killed - he's a "great archer" and they did a ton of lingering shots of him getting a good look at her.

Yeah, I gringed at those scenes as well. Why were they done in such a manner? Usually good shows will leave a lot of questions unanswered and be as unambiguous as possible, but this time they decided to spell two key events out for the viewers. I can't see any good reason for this.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
The show has finally spoiled the books!

RIP A Song of Ice and Fire.

Love live the Game of Thrones.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
Oh poo poo I better go watch the new episodes fast before everything is revealed

SPOILERS GUYS GEEZ :qq:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Those who post often in TVIV know that they definitely have to make who killed Joffrey as explicit as possible.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Shoehead posted:

Wait so the Wildlings who went over the wall still haven't attacked Castle Black or what?

They're biding their time 'til the season finale.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Lycus posted:

Those who post often in TVIV know that they definitely have to make who killed Joffrey as explicit as possible.

Yeah, I don't fault the showrunners for that. Even with poo poo being explicitly spelled out, viewers still find ways to not understand what the hell is going on.

Of all the "mystery" murders (or attempted ones) in the series, which one is the only one to be clearly spelled out? The Jon Arryn one? Joffrey's is more connect the easy to see dots, and the Bran assassination attempt was a long after the fact supposition.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I just want TV watchers to come in here to try and spoil us on the books as the series progresses. I don't know about anyone else, but after all these years of waiting for the damned books to be finished I look forward to any confirmed spoilers.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

I just want TV watchers to come in here to try and spoil us on the books as the series progresses. I don't know about anyone else, but after all these years of waiting for the damned books to be finished I look forward to any confirmed spoilers.

Pod pops Brienne's cherry.

You heard it hear first.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I couldn't care less about spoilers in general, and ASoIaF in particular. I'll read the books regardless so give me all the spoilers u can handle.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

unlimited shrimp posted:

I couldn't care less about spoilers in general, and ASoIaF in particular. I'll read the books regardless so give me all the spoilers u can handle.

death is certain

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

unlimited shrimp posted:

A spoiler is proof that the story is making progress. I welcome this.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I haven't seen any of the show, but if it diverges from the books and goes its own way, I'll cheer it on.

OhYeah posted:

If I'd be Gurm, I'd be making GBS threads myself right now.

He does that anyway.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Kylaer posted:

I haven't seen any of the show, but if it diverges from the books and goes its own way, I'll cheer it on.

They sat with GRRM and forced him to tell them how the story ends.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
End of episode White Walker looked like a blue Darth Maul. Immersion ruined.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

rypakal posted:

I think book readers just officially got spoiled. Glad we don't have to wait 3 years.

Lord Twisted posted:

Well that's pretty crazy. Looks like winds of winter has already begun.

Yeah, I almost shat on my dick when I saw that scene.

Lord Twisted posted:

You're probably right, I'm a retard so I didn't get these when I watched the show.

But what I really want to see is more Diana Rigg.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Night%27s_King

I totally don't remember that at all, guess it was important...

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I figured that cut-to-Sansa was merely ironic emphasis on the fact that she was indeed involved in Joffrey's murder, don't know if it's such a blatant 'she's gonna Littlefinger' moment.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I just hate the fact that both direwolves were captured so nonchalantly.

That ending white walker scene was pretty awesome though, it was like a live action Frazetta painting.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Oh yeah that was confusing, why do they have ghost? Did Jon not take him with him when he joined the wildlings?

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I figured that cut-to-Sansa was merely ironic emphasis on the fact that she was indeed involved in Joffrey's murder, don't know if it's such a blatant 'she's gonna Littlefinger' moment.

It's still pretty obvious she's going to end up killing Littlefinger though.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

CPFortest posted:

It's still pretty obvious she's going to end up killing Littlefinger though.

She'll hire a Faceless Man to do the job.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Jeffrey posted:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Night%27s_King

I totally don't remember that at all, guess it was important...

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Elman posted:

She'll hire a Faceless Man to do the job.

Arya will probably could kill both.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

my thoughts exactly

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Why is she farting through her eye? Could someone fix this pic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Lord Twisted posted:

It's more explicit and drawn out in the books where Sansa plays 20 questions with Littlefinger about it on the boat or wherever the gently caress.