Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tzz
May 15, 2005
COLD
Great, I'll make sure to stop by that shop, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

tzz posted:

I guess I'm out of luck because I'm in Battambang right now and I doubt I'll be going to the South again. I'll probably stay around here and Siem Reap a couple more weeks and then I'll take a flight to Chiang Mai.

The TSA is not an issue for me, getting it into Istanbul should be easy.

PS: I now feel the pain of your avatar :argh:
Battambang is one of my favorite towns. So sleepy and still kinda nice. The huevos rancheros at Cafe Eden are excellent and the breakfasts at Madison Corner are simple and good. The latter is run by Philippe, who also runs Pomme d'Amour, which is decent but a bit pricey. He's a real character in his own right and a generous host. White Lotus is probably the oldest "big" restaurant in town, serving mostly Khmer dishes (stick to the Khmer dishes). I always make sure to eat there.

As for hotels, I typically stay in the Seng Hout, which is clean, new and nice and has a rooftop bar and pool - all for about $12 a night, I think. I'm not huge on tourist gimmicks, but the bamboo train's worth doing just for the giggles. The Killing Cave and all that is sort of banal just because it's such an exercise in disaster tourism, something I've grown really sick of in Cambodia. Still, there are monks wandering around a very old monastery on a hilltop that doubled as a KR camp, so there are rusty howitzers scattered about and monkeys playing on them next to a hole where people got dropped into a cave when they were disposed of. Great photo ops and a great view too.

Personally, I find just hanging out in Battambang and talking to the various artists and owners and Khmer (whi could speak Thai or English anyway) and other local things much more interesting. Check out the couple of art galleries for sure and chat someone up. They do some interesting projects and some of the local artists are halfway decent.

There's a lopsidedly large missionary community which owns about half of the restaurants and things in town. For some reason they've made Battambang their city the way they have with Chiang Rai in Thailand.

tzz
May 15, 2005
COLD
Thanks for the recommendations!

I've only wandered around so far, but I think it's the best city in Cambodia for that. Nice architecture, cool riverside, not too crowded and overall very charming and laid back.

I had lunch at Madison but I found it a bit lacking and overpriced. It seems like a good place to go have a drink at night, though. Nary's Kitchen was the opposite, cheap with some of the best fish amok I've had (best fish amok award still goes to Lost Art in Kampot, whose owner is an awesome Australian old man). I might even go back to take one of Nary's cooking classes some day.

Today I'm planning to try some street food, but I'll make sure to check Eden and Lotus. Speaking of that, this country needs some sort of street food guide. I find it much harder to find good street food here than in Thailand, it's almost like a lottery. My old "find a crowded place" trick doesn't work here so well.

I moved to the Seng Hout for the terrace before even reading your post. I was staying at the Asia Hotel right next to the bus "station" but I only booked a couple of nights and I had to move to another room if I wanted to stay, so I thought I'd try some other place. Totally recommended, the rooms are much nicer than Seng Hout's for the same price. It's a shame it has no bar or terrace to hang out, which is probably a must here in Battambang since everything closes so early.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
Yeah, unfortunately you have to go looking for the best street food places in Cambodia, compared to countries like Thailand where it's easy to find. That said, generally you can't go wrong with the bread, grilled stuff (since that's pretty easy to tell if it's going to be terrible), including the grilled bananas, or sweet stuff. The noodle/rice soups can be pretty good too.

Often the crowded places are those "buffet"-type places, which are awful.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

tzz posted:

I had lunch at Madison but I found it a bit lacking and overpriced. It seems like a good place to go have a drink at night, though.
Definitely only breakfast at Madison. Lunch and the rest is just okay, yeah. I'm a fan of the cheese wontons at Gecko Cafe too, heh. At home I'd probably never order cheese wontons, but they're good and it's stupid food like home. Madison's definitely a good place to drink until late.

tzz posted:

I moved to the Seng Hout for the terrace before even reading your post. I was staying at the Asia Hotel right next to the bus "station" but I only booked a couple of nights and I had to move to another room if I wanted to stay, so I thought I'd try some other place. Totally recommended, the rooms are much nicer than Seng Hout's for the same price. It's a shame it has no bar or terrace to hang out, which is probably a must here in Battambang since everything closes so early.
There's a fairly cookie cutter, oddly-too-modern riverside place with a lovely Pinoy band a little bit to the South of town that is open pretty late and serves pitchers and very bad bar food. As well, if you ask the French guys at Madison where Canteen is, it's actual good street food. Late night, fried noodles with pork and vegetables and so on. In Southern Thailand I'd call it a localized version of Hokkien Mee, but not sure what it's called there. They just say "Allez a canteen" which I doubt is what locals would call it, so whatever it's called it's right along the riverside and open quite late.

There are also a couple of wannabe legit (not pervy or sex touristy) clubs in town hidden upstairs where the local university kids go to drink and stuff. I wandered in on accident once and got taken there for someone's staff's birthday once. Kinda fun just to see how Battambang's pseudo-cosmopolitan young party crowd go out I guess, heh.

EDIT: I also take pleasure in yelling HOWDY ELDERS to all the Mormons when I'm there.

EDIT: Reminder that Battambang is the second most populous city in Cambodia, heh.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Apr 24, 2014

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I've been fired basically so my gf and I are planning our last 3-4 week blowout in south east asia before we head back to the states. Things that are must do

-Angkor Wat
-Vang Vieng, just for the ridiculousness of it
-Proper time in Bangkok
-Full Moon Party somewhere, June 13th. Open for suggestions
-All the perfect Thai beaches
-Something in Vietnam even though I don't know poo poo about it.

I'm basically looking for suggestions of things to fill in the gaps, or things I absolutely have to see that aren't included. i've only ever been to Bangkok and Kanchanaburi. Money is kinda an issue but whatever I don't know when I'll be over here again. I'm also not opposed to heading down to Malaysia, Singapore, or the Philippines if anyone did something there life altering.

This might be my last big excursion before I have to settle down and get serious about life so I'm willing to go nuts. Halp.

tzz
May 15, 2005
COLD
Welp, my quest for good street food hit a bump in the road when I had a bland noodle soup and I spent all day feeling all dizzy and nauseous, although the unbearable heat and humidity today might be the ones to blame for that. Still, I'm not giving up just yet: I found a woman frying some glorious patacón-style banana and I'll look for that Canteen tomorrow.

I'm also getting swamped by work and it's only going to get worse next month, so I think it's time for me to settle down in Chiang Mai for a while starting next week and get a subscription at one of those fancy coworking places. Kinyei and Eden here in Battambang are perfect to get some work done while sipping good espresso, but I still feel uncomfortable staying so much time working in cafes.

No sight of Mormons yet, just heard one Mexican missionary nut job (evangelical I guess) talking some disturbing bullshit while I pretended not to understand. Turning contraception into a sin, exactly what this country needs! :doh:

FizFashizzle posted:

I've been fired basically so my gf and I are planning our last 3-4 week blowout in south east asia before we head back to the states. Things that are must do

I did your Thailand and Cambodia part a few years ago and had a great time. I started in Bangkok, went South stopping on some beaches before taking the ferry to Koh Samui (I liked Khanom the most), then went to Phangan's FMP... I got way too drunk there, got lost and ended up in some random Thai village separated from my friends for a few days, but they went back to Surat Thani and waited for me in Ao Nang while visiting Phi Phi and that stuff. We then took a cheap flight from Phuket to Kuala Lumpur to Siem Reap. I'm not sure how can you link SR and VV or Vietnam, it seems way too spread out for me if money is an issue.

tzz fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 24, 2014

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
It might be back up now but Laos finally sat on VV a while back to stop it being such a huge horrible shitshow.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Vang Vieng is running but it's toned way, way down. Mostly the government got sick of debauched tourists corrupting the monks, with the lesser problem of fishing teenage Lao Lao-pickled falang corpses out of the river on a regular basis. The Death Slide was dismantled and most of the bars are gone. There are maybe 3-4 left. It's still a big draw for younger backpackers, though. The teens thought it was wicked rad but everyone who went over 25 figured there were better places to drink, better places to go tubing, and better places to see temples. It's not as wild as it used to be.

Honestly, go if you're going to pass through Laos anyway and maybe spend a day in Luang Prabang, but I'd prioritize it under the rest of the stuff on that list. It's not going to be Burning Man in The Jungle.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

That's disappointing. Although it will probably make the rest of the trip easier.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
It was bullshit goon sir

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

tzz posted:

I still feel uncomfortable staying so much time working in cafes.

I spend a lot of time working from a bar: https://www.facebook.com/BanyanBarKohTao

It's actually surprisingly good for productivity. During the day there are often one or two other people working remotely there and it's a good place to bounce ideas off people and to come up with new approaches to old problems. Of course it can be a bit messy and it's easy to get distracted when it's full of daytime drinkers, but the food is good and the night time antics are hilarious.

Finch! fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 25, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

tzz posted:

Welp, my quest for good street food hit a bump in the road when I had a bland noodle soup and I spent all day feeling all dizzy and nauseous, although the unbearable heat and humidity today might be the ones to blame for that. Still, I'm not giving up just yet: I found a woman frying some glorious patacón-style banana and I'll look for that Canteen tomorrow.

I'm also getting swamped by work and it's only going to get worse next month, so I think it's time for me to settle down in Chiang Mai for a while starting next week and get a subscription at one of those fancy coworking places. Kinyei and Eden here in Battambang are perfect to get some work done while sipping good espresso, but I still feel uncomfortable staying so much time working in cafes.

No sight of Mormons yet, just heard one Mexican missionary nut job (evangelical I guess) talking some disturbing bullshit while I pretended not to understand. Turning contraception into a sin, exactly what this country needs! :doh:
On the food note in Battambang, White Lotus is good for a compromise, but if you want market/street food eat inside the middle of the old French market in the center of town. Charcoal stoves and soups and noodles and so on. Good stuff. Cranks up around 06:00 along with the coffee and tea.

EDIT: Oops, White ROSE. Not Lotus. I always gently caress that up even though I've been eating there for like eight years.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 26, 2014

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

Pixelante posted:

Vang Vieng is running but it's toned way, way down. Mostly the government got sick of debauched tourists corrupting the monks, with the lesser problem of fishing teenage Lao Lao-pickled falang corpses out of the river on a regular basis. The Death Slide was dismantled and most of the bars are gone. There are maybe 3-4 left. It's still a big draw for younger backpackers, though. The teens thought it was wicked rad but everyone who went over 25 figured there were better places to drink, better places to go tubing, and better places to see temples. It's not as wild as it used to be.

Honestly, go if you're going to pass through Laos anyway and maybe spend a day in Luang Prabang, but I'd prioritize it under the rest of the stuff on that list. It's not going to be Burning Man in The Jungle.

I've talked to a few travelers who say VV is still pretty great but not the same as it used to be. I'm from NZ so I'm doing the reverse route of all the Euro backpackers (moving from Malaysia upwards). I'm over 25 though T_T

tzz
May 15, 2005
COLD

ReindeerF posted:

On the food note in Battambang, White Lotus is good for a compromise, but if you want market/street food eat inside the middle of the old French market in the center of town. Charcoal stoves and soups and noodles and so on. Good stuff. Cranks up around 06:00 along with the coffee and tea.

EDIT: Oops, White ROSE. Not Lotus. I always gently caress that up even though I've been eating there for like eight years.

Hah, I thought you were confusing White Lotus with Lotus, a bar/restaurant/art gallery right in the centre. They do documentary and movie screenings, poetry readings, 2x1 pizza night and other events. Even though some of those are way too artsy for me, it's one of the best places I've found in Battambang to hang out, so thanks for the unintended tip :P

The old market is great for some sausages and grilled meat, but it closes down way too early. Down by the Governor's building there's a night market that closes much later where there's some tasty stuff too.

I'm leaving tomorrow to Siem Reap so I won't be able to try that White Rose this time, but I can definitely see myself coming back here in the future. I've grown quite fond of this town.

Finch! posted:

I spend a lot of time working from a bar: https://www.facebook.com/BanyanBarKohTao

It's actually surprisingly good for productivity. During the day there are often one or two other people working remotely there and it's a good place to bounce ideas off people and to come up with new approaches to old problems. Of course it can be a bit messy and it's easy to get distracted when it's full of daytime drinkers, but the food is good and the night time antics are hilarious.

I've also found that I'm extremely productive working at cafes, especially when working in the mornings while everybody is sleeping in Europe. That's the catch, though, I often have to spend my evenings mailing, skyping and calling people and by that time cafes are either closing or getting full of early drinkers.

I'm gonna go to Chiang Mai, stay there a few weeks visiting the surroundings and then I'll see about maybe moving to an island for some more lazy hammock days.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Who has experience in Vietnam?

I'm trying to figure out if a trip to Hanoi to see Ha Long bay will be worth it.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

I really enjoyed Ha Long Bay and if you're going to be in the area, it's worth a visit. Hanoi is a cool place to visit too.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Not sure if it counts but I'll be in Bali from May 18 - ?, then up through Malaysia and the rest of SE Asia from late June to September. Thread has been great for planning so far. If anyone wants to meet up send me an ole PM.

Question: a friend of mine is coming to visit July 23 - August 3. We're going to do a bit of Thailand and then down into Cambodia. She's heading back to the US from Bangkok though, so we'll need re-entry visas. I'm planning on going to Vietnam and Laos after that and then maybe back to Chaing Mai for a bit later in the year. Is it best to just get normal visas at the border or?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
How Long Bay

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

mintskoal posted:

Not sure if it counts but I'll be in Bali from May 18 - ?, then up through Malaysia and the rest of SE Asia from late June to September. Thread has been great for planning so far. If anyone wants to meet up send me an ole PM.

Question: a friend of mine is coming to visit July 23 - August 3. We're going to do a bit of Thailand and then down into Cambodia. She's heading back to the US from Bangkok though, so we'll need re-entry visas. I'm planning on going to Vietnam and Laos after that and then maybe back to Chaing Mai for a bit later in the year. Is it best to just get normal visas at the border or?
Are you referring to Thailand? Just enter and exit the country as usual, there's nothing special you need to do assuming you are both US citizens. There's no visa involved.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Gail Wynand posted:

Are you referring to Thailand? Just enter and exit the country as usual, there's nothing special you need to do assuming you are both US citizens. There's no visa involved.

Yes, we both are from the US and I am referring to Thailand. Does that mean each time I enter and exit the country I'm good for 30 days, or are there other restrictions on that?

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

mintskoal posted:

Yes, we both are from the US and I am referring to Thailand. Does that mean each time I enter and exit the country I'm good for 30 days, or are there other restrictions on that?

Yes. As an American you're good for 30 days. Don't worry about visas if you're staying less than a month each time you enter.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Just remember that you need to get the Vietnam visa in advance, you can't get it at the border. Flying in to do a VoA (just google Vietnam visa, I picked the cheapest service I could find) is the least annoying option for Vietnam. Laos and Cambodia you can get at the border, but some crossings might be pretty scammy.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

mintskoal posted:

It's 30 days by air and 15 on land.

tzz
May 15, 2005
COLD

cent0r posted:

It's 30 days by air and 15 on land.

Some people say it's 30 days by land too if you are from one of the G7 countries.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

tzz posted:

Some people say it's 30 days by land too if you are from one of the G7 countries.

Thanks all. I've Googled this stuff but it's a bit unclear. I was aware of the rules for Vietnam though.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It was 30 days by lanbd, then it was 15 days, then it was 30 days again and now it's back down to 15 days again apparently - by land. Anyway, yeah, by air it's always 30. As an American you just waltz in and waltz out, no worries.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Still 30 days by land here for G7, ignore them Thai Visa folks.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

I heard it was 30 days the first time you enter by land, but if you try to do border jumps after that, it's only 15. Bottom line: Nobody has any idea how visas for Thailand work.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

Chair Huxtable posted:

I heard it was 30 days the first time you enter by land, but if you try to do border jumps after that, it's only 15. Bottom line: Nobody has any idea how visas for Thailand work.

To save myself the trouble, I just got a 60 day tourist visa in Malaysia before crossing over.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
I was in here asking a lot of questions about Thailand a few weeks back. I disappeared because my plans and my finances took a nasty hit to the tune of over half the liquid dollars I intended to have. I am currently grinding out a few bucks doing various things online. Would it be suicide to go ahead with my plans if it meant landing in Thailand with only $4-$5k in my pocket, plus the expectation of another $1,500-$3k in income in the first three months, not including my online work?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
That's plenty for general backpacking. Should last forever if you A) don't travel constantly or B) don't try to live a baller lifestyle at the bars.

Chair Huxtable posted:

Megadittoes.

This banner just showed up on SA's rotation (Google I'm sure) at the top of this page:

THAILAND WOMAN
REAL RELATION

Captivating copywriting.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 29, 2014

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

You can travel and live in SEA for relatively little, but it's a lot like Vegas- the more money you have, the better (and it's not hard to spend there). Having less money can be somewhat compensated for by doing a lot of research. I spend more when I live and travel in SEA than when I live in San Francisco or Washington DC. I find myself traveling and being more outgoing in Asia though, and eating out/doing more stuff, so it is what it is. 8k is totally doable for 3-4 months.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 29, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, basically if you stay in places for a longer time you'll spend less overall because A) you're not spending money on traveling and B) you'll escape the tourist-only stuff that always gouges people and C) you can negotiate long-term rent. It's very easy to spend a shitload, though.

On an unrelated note, looks like you've got your own True Crime story, Siem Reap. Congrats!

http://brighamyoung401.wordpress.com/

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Journalist grapevine for a bit was that he was figured killed by ex-Khmer Rouge elements. Looks like there was some shady business going on for a while, then.

And, speaking of border entries: I haven't had a visa since last year since I currently live 5 kilometers from a border crossing (I can see Burma from my house! Well, could from my old one), but since that's changing I'll need to do a border crossing from Bangkok next month. What's the best one? So many to choose from.

MothraAttack fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 29, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Either Aran/Poipet or Trat/Koh Kong is easiest, with Poipet being the closest. You can catch the 05:00 (AM) van or bus out to Rong Kluea Market (the border market just past central Aran) and be back by afternoon probably. Poipet and Aran are both shitholes, of course. Trat's very boring and quiet, but you could stop over in Koh Chang. The Khmer touts at the border crossing there are the most ridiculous border touts I've ever experienced. I've recounted my experience there previously, but they came over to the Thai side like 10 minutes after I was in Thailand to tell me that I had forgotten to pay them a bribe - no joke.

If you've picked up a bit of Thai, I recommend the Baan Pakard border checkpoint near Chanthaburi. Pailin, a quaint little town, is a 10 minute moto ride across the border, Battambang is just an hour and a half furhter and the whole trip is very hassle-free compared to most borders. Even if you just want to pop in and out, spending a night in Chan is worth it. Very quaint and modern for an off-the-beaten-path (unless you're a gem trader) Thai provincial capital.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 29, 2014

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.
I've got a plan put together to hit up some destinations with a few friends, we're doing a bit of a mix of hiking and little odds and ends. We also have an additional week we're thinking of doing either Cambodia or somewhere in Vietnam. Any recommendations, suggestions, or issues with our itinerary (the hiking stuff is a bit more fixed but the rest is flexible)?

11-May Fly Bangkok to Surat Thani
Ferry from Surat Thani to Koh Phangan (arrive afternoon)
12-May Koh Phangan
13-May Koh Phangan
14-May Koh Phangan -
15-May Koh Phangan
16-May Ferry/Bus/Flight from Phangan to Bangkok
Fly from Bangkok to Surabaya (Arrive 1:00am)
17-May Drive to Ranupani
18-May Semeru Volcano - Hike to Kilimati Base Camp
19-May Semeru Volvano - Hike to Summit, then back to Ranupani
20-May Drive to Ijen Crater Base
21-May Ijen Crater Hike (start 2am)
Ferry to Bali (Arrive in afternoon)
22-May Bali
23-May Bali
24-May Bali
25-May Bali to Lombok
Private transport from Lombok Airport to Senaru
26-May Mount Rinjani
27-May Mount Rinjani
28-May Mount Rinjani
Arranged Transport from Senaru to Kuta, Lombok
29-May Lombok
30-May Lombok
31-May ???
???
1-Jun ???
2-Jun ???
3-Jun ???
4-Jun ???
5-Jun ???

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
Go to Angkor, obviously.

Definitely take an extra day and go see Borobudur while you're on Java anyway.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

XyrlocShammypants posted:

You can travel and live in SEA for relatively little, but it's a lot like Vegas- the more money you have, the better (and it's not hard to spend there). Having less money can be somewhat compensated for by doing a lot of research. I spend more when I live and travel in SEA than when I live in San Francisco or Washington DC. I find myself traveling and being more outgoing in Asia though, and eating out/doing more stuff, so it is what it is. 8k is totally doable for 3-4 months.

Heh, I actually live in Vegas. I'm looking to take language classes and otherwise live as cheaply as possible while still having internet, running water, and air conditioning. I was going to be rolling out with what I figured would be plenty of money to skate by for a year while taking classes, but that has been severely impacted by recent happenings. Should I be thinking Chiang Mai or something instead of Bangkok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
How tough is Thai to learn if you already have functional Mandarin?

Edit: Just did a quick Wiki and apparently the languages aren't as related as I thought. I've been told they're structurally similar and that the tones aren't overly difficult if you're familiar with Mandarin tones though.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 29, 2014