Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

TVarmy posted:

i just want someone to hook up a 3d printer to print out arbitrary data entered in a form field.

it'd be like the time the GOP printed out Weedlord Bonerhitler, but with crappy plastic and lots of lovely yoda heads.

PRINT ') DROP TABLE;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Cantorsdust posted:

PRINT ') DROP TABLE;

one of those little table things you get in the pizza boxes comes out of the printer

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

iirc it's on a ledge so you can only see it in profile

the gold dildo is in dm-junkyard according to the internet but i couldn't find a picture and don't really wanna GIS giant golden junkyard dildo

anyways https://forums.epicgames.com/archive/index.php/t-356912.html read this thread it's adorable

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Pair raises $500K, preparing to rain bitcoins on undergrads
$100 per student hoped to spur innovation at MIT
By Austin Hess and Leon Lin
EDITORS
April 29, 2014
Donors have committed to giving $100 in bitcoins to each of MIT’s about 4,500 undergraduates this fall.

Jeremy L. Rubin ’16 and Daniel B. Elitzer, a first-year Sloan MBA student, are spearheading the project, which they hope will sow the seeds of an innovative bitcoin “ecosystem” at MIT.

Rubin and Elitzer said they’ve secured more than $500,000 in commitments from about 25 donors. Half of the money will come from Alexander Morcos ’97, who co-founded Hudson River Trading, a high-frequency trading firm based in New York.

Rubin and Elitzer met with MIT administrators before announcing their plans. An MIT spokesman wrote in an email that “[t]he administration wishes the project’s leaders and participants all success.”

The initiative’s press release lists 10 MIT faculty and staff as supporters of the project.

Former International Monetary Fund chief economist Simon Johnson, an MIT professor unaffiliated with the project, said that he was “all in favor” of encouraging innovation in finance and that Rubin and Elitzer’s experiment “could be a positive” for perceptions of bitcoin. He noted that the cryptocurrency’s credibility has become a bigger concern this year after the bankruptcy of Mt. Gox, once the largest bitcoin exchange.

Bitcoin is a digital payment system that uses a peer-to-peer network to facilitate payments made in units called bitcoins. Members of the network can use an open-source cryptographic protocol to verify payments in return for transaction fees and new bitcoins in a process called mining.

One bitcoin could be bought for about $443 at press time, according to Coinbase, a bitcoin wallet service. The value of one bitcoin rose from less than $15 in January 2013 to a peak of over $1,100 in December.

Rubin and Elitzer’s announcement months in advance is timed to give local businesses a chance to begin accepting bitcoin and to give students and researchers a chance to develop bitcoin-related applications.

“What I’m hoping is that infrastructure gets sufficiently built around MIT that bitcoin actually becomes a useful commodity to have,” Rubin said.

Rubin said: “Everybody has access to the Internet, right — so you want to launch a webapp? Everybody can do that. You want to launch a bitcoin or cryptocurrency app? That’s a little bit harder … you can’t test it in your immediate friend group. But hopefully [that’s] what we’ll enable.”

Elitzer said that they hoped the project would also spur new research, both in the technology of cryptocurrencies and in the economics of how people use them.

“Right now there is not a geographic place that you can go to and assume that people have relatively broad access to bitcoin,” Elitzer said, suggesting that that could change with their experiment, which might make for an interesting case study. “What might the world look like if bitcoin, or something like bitcoin, were widely accepted?”

MIT’s undergraduate education dean, Dennis M. Freeman PhD ‘86, said in a statement: “By bringing students and faculty together to inform members of the MIT community about what bitcoin is and to research its use, Rubin and Elitzer are helping everyone to better understand this emerging technology.”

This experiment is neither student’s first bitcoin-related project.

In 2013, Rubin worked with three other undergraduates on a bitcoin-related project called Tidbit. Tidbit was later subpoenaed by the New Jersey attorney general as part of a consumer fraud investigation. Rubin, with the help of the Electronic Frontier Foundation, a digital rights group, is currently fighting for the subpoena to be withdrawn. MIT has sent a letter to the New Jersey attorney general in support of Rubin.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Pinterest Mom posted:

In 2013, Rubin worked with three other undergraduates on a bitcoin-related project called Tidbit. Tidbit was later subpoenaed by the New Jersey attorney general as part of a consumer fraud investigation.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
So many people are working so hard on making Bitcoin the payment system of the future (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 6 minutes ago by Notapanicseller

Look on the mainpage. Nothing but amazing stories. And what happens? It gets destroyed by day traders, panic sellers, traders with insider information, manipulators and the list goes on. All i hear is about how the government is evil, how banks want to stop Bitcoin. Those people aren't the problem. People with bitcoins are.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Formatted my phone without backing up my wallet. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 36 minutes ago by JohnMLTX

Lost .271 btc. God dammit.

[–]JohnMLTX[S] 2 points 26 minutes ago

I did a system restore and forgot about my wallet. Not sure what they'll be able to do...

[–]JohnMLTX[S] 1 point 8 minutes ago

:C goddammit. I'm so mad at myself. I had some of that coin since 2010...

[–]SearchForTruthNow2 1 point 2 minutes ago

Take it as a learning lesson

...!
Oct 5, 2003

i lost my phone, and BTC-E's Support not Reply me. so i really lost $479 USD? (i.imgur.com)

submitted 17 minutes ago by tim885885

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Bitcoins. World Involvement. And it's legality. Everyone should read this. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 3 hours ago * by 9to5everything

Bitcoin is not a currency and technically is 100% legal everywhere in the world. There is no reason it can be banned and Im surprised how many people don't realize this. Even in china, unless they start beating their citizens as to why they are not allowed to use it, theres no reason for it to be banned.

If John buys a pair of sneakers on the internet for $400 then decides he wants to trade it for other sneakers or use it to barter, noone can tell John anything. Correct? Right because there's nothing wrong with it. He's allowed to do this.

Lets say the sneaker he buys turns out to be something everyone wants and the demand goes skyhigh and the value turns into $1000. He now owns a pair of shoes that is worth $1000. It is his money and he's allowed to do whatever he wishes with them.

Bitcoin is basically taking the American dollar or world dollar and shifting it to a new "economy" or a virtual world as we call it. Liberals love this because this is allowed and by law they can't be bothered.

Once again. Legally this is allowed. 100 percent no doubt about it.

One problem now. There are flaws in Bitcoins because the internet is not the safest place to keep your "goods". This is true but people that have decided to use bitcoins know that there are risks. Just like the stock market. Or a shoe market where people barter sneakers in return for other items. Theres a risk with everything you do in life.

At this point, bartering shoes or buying and trading coins should be beyond the governments control. Technically if John wants to barter sneakers with his own money he is allowed to. Wether the shoe gets lost somewhere or stolen, thats the risk John takes and eventually the money will find its way back into the world market.

I understand this can have a 100% negative effect on the everyday world because one person in the end could have stolen billions of dollars.

Or maybe it's a good thing if you actually think about it.

On one side The U.S. government keeps raising taxes on everything from your weekly salary to your every last purchase. The money keeps going in but the economy isn't getting any better. They have enough money to buy a whole new country but they can't figure out the right way to spread the funds. Maybe shifting money to Bitcoins is a good thing. Maybe a stop to their weekly allowance (as funny as it sounds) will show them the value of money or the value of each person using their currency because if you think about it, we are using their service and they are in the ones in control. Maybe the use of Bitcoins and shifting a good amount of U.S. dollar to a new economy where we barter our hard earned money before it goes back into the world economy is a great idea.

No doubt about it were lab rats playing the game of the home team which is the gov't and thats fine. But are we not able to experiment and think outside the box for something this technologically brilliant? Nothing about this idea should be regulated by the government. WE DONT HAVE TO USE THE AMERICAN DOLLAR IN OUR EVERYDAY PURCHASE. I SURE DONT. I can technically move my money to pesos and make my everyday purchases in pesos if everyone else did it. Or back to the shoes, I could spend the rest of my life making payments and purchases in shoes. THAT'S MY CHOICE.

CHINA NEEDS TO WAKE UP. We get it your copy cats (no pun intended) and waiting for us to make the move first.

And do we even need China??? At least for now. Think about it. I get it, they are a big part of the world economy but why can't BItcoins move forward without every single countries involvement? If they see the new markets like Bitcoin's growing they will eventually have no choice but to join. For example, just like Overstocks involvement in Bitcoin, if Bitcoin was still at value of $1000 right now, or just growing in general Amazon would have no choice but to accept Bitcoin because they would lose a HUGE amount of business to Overstock. AMAZON WOULD HAVE NO CHOICE ADDING ANOTHER HUGE VENDOR TO THE LIST.

IF HUGE COMPANIES CONTINUE ACCEPTING BITCOINS CHINA WONT HAVE A CHOICE BUT TO ACCEPT IT. THEY DONT REALIZE BITCOINS IS NOT ONE FORM OF PAYMENT. ITS A FORM OF PAYMENT IN ADDITION TO THE AMERICAN DOLLAR OR YEN. IF SOMEONE PAYS ME IN PENNIES OPPOSED TO BILLS AT THE END OF THE DAY IT IS STILL MONEY. OF COURSE I ACCEPT IT. PAY ME IN A PAIR OF SHOES THAT IS EQUIVALENT TO MY ITEM FOR SALE AND IF I AGREE TO ACCEPT IT THEN THAT IS MY OWN BUSINESS DECISION. IF I PUT A "SNEAKER ACCEPTED" LOGO IN MY CHECKOUT THAT IS MY BUSINESS. When I barter my sneakers for limited edition U.S. coins NOONE says anything. But when it has the word coin next to it, it becomes a problem. Maybe thats what needs to change. It should be called something else like an item we use everyday or maybe even a new word.

China - It's time to let your people spend their money the way they want to. Eventually if this works you won't have control because they will purchase. Look how big China is, when a good amount of people there start buying Bitcoins you wont have any choice but to let them do it. It's just a matter of time before they realize this.

The money will find its way back into the economy. There are risks involved, just like when you jampack 10,000 workers into a factory that only holds 8,000. You take a risk, just like John when he decided to use his money to buy shoes and barter it because in the end its his pair of shoes.

Bitcoins is not equation for fixing the world but there should be no rules when it comes to this and there is no need for Bitcoins to be banned by anyone or any government. Day by day we realize our potential when we come out with a technological idea that makes this world that much better. What if we said printing your teddy bear is a stupid idea. We wouldn't know the potential of what it can do. The U.S. gov't is hoping the next "Economist" will come up with a solution but I highly doubt it will magically just happen or one person waking up one day and saying "Hey! I figured it out!".

Regulate your government. Noone cares. It's yours. If we want to use our money for our own services its our choice. Nothing about it is illegal nor against the norm. I'm not some guy on a forum saying "hey I want my voice to be heard". Im some guy on a forum saying I realize whats going on and it will eventually work. This is technology at its finest and it will work because in the end genius finds its way around. You have CEO's of Virgin (Keep in mind, a guy who is sending people to SPACE!) and CEO's of multi billion dollar companies who have taken the risk of accepting Bitcoins and have studies it and understood the risks and you as a Politician who masters the political field tell business magnates they have no idea whats going on? Thats sort of an insult. These are the guys sending your children to space and the ones who deliver your Christmas gifts on time when that time of the year comes around.

Im telling you if Bitcoin fails, an alternative will be formed eventually and possibly perfected because when the idea of an airplane came out, everyone thought it was stupid... and look now.

-Elham

...!
Oct 5, 2003

How many years till DAOs could replace insurance providers? (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 5 hours ago by wildlight

I sure hope it's soon. I'd love crowd funded insurance where we can all pool our money and agree to charge the lowest profitable rates possible. I suppose, there will be a need for sophisticated arbitration services or ridiculously well scripted smart contracts before this could be particularly marketable. Is anyone working on this already? Is there any interesting theory on how such systems could work?

[–]wildlight[S] 1 point 5 hours ago

Of course they will. I'm not so interested in how long its going to take for people to adapt, but when all the pieces will be in place for it to ht the market. I'm wondering if DAO's can find a way to comply with state laws or if they will simply have to bypass the existing system again. Maybe people will have warmed up to the idea by the time they are available.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Could projects like BitWasp or DarkMarket be the basis for subpoena-less AirBnBs and Ubers of the future? (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 6 hours ago by _bc

I just read through Here’s The Real Reason Governments Are Cracking Down on Uber And Airbnb. It likens both companies to bitcoin, in that they similarly allow "users and buyers to transact without mediation by the powers that have traditionally controlled those transactions". Both airbnb and uber are disruptive, but neither is decentralized.

Data on thousands of airbnb customers are at stake. New York State wants to identify New Yorkers who they claim are illegally renting out their apartments.

Could a site based on Bitwasp or DarkMarket fill roles similar to these companies while better-preserving the privacy of customers?

TL;DR could we see articles, in the future, on TaxiRoad and RentersRoad - examples of a more-readily appealing "Dark Web" that might win-over more converts to bitcoin?

[–]DannyDesert 4 points 6 hours ago

100 % this is going to happen.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

quote:

Bitcoin is not a currency and technically is 100% legal everywhere in the world. There is no reason it can be banned and Im surprised how many people don't realize this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myWaa6xvPZ4

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3629572

Underwear
May 13, 2006

quote:

Even in china, unless they start beating their citizens as to why they are not allowed to use it, theres no reason for it to be banned.

Literally no clue.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

...! posted:

the already steep $.30 parking fee
jfc

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

the mit bitcoin thing posted:

Half of the money will come from Alexander Morcos ’97, who co-founded Hudson River Trading, a high-frequency trading firm based in New York.

HFT- but with bitcoin
7 trades/second

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

how many people on reddit realize the dogecoin driver is barely a driver?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

sleepwalkers posted:

how many people on reddit realize

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

sleepwalkers posted:

how many people on reddit realize the dogecoin driver is barely a driver?

/r/dogecoin knows because it's the cheapest driver they could buy. they just think it's funny he'll be on the starting line of talledega in that goofy car.

/r/bitcoin is up in arms and think its a waste of something that could be VERY VALUABLE in the future.

dogecoin wins again

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
spotted on another blog (stratechery, an excellent tech/business blog), heres a breakdown of how credit card fees are assessed in a typical $50 transaction, and why its so hard for companies like square to make a living in that market

quote:

There are two broad categories of payment “opportunities”: building on top of credit cards, and replacing them. Square falls into the former. The challenge here is that margins are incredibly tight. Consider a $50 transaction paid for with a Visa card swiped through a Square reader:

- The interchange fee (which goes to the card-issuing bank) for swiped Visa cards is 1.51% + $0.10, which in this example is $0.855
- Various assessment charges (where Visa actually makes its money) come to ~.11% + $.03, which in this example is $0.085
- Square charges merchants 2.75% for swiped cards, which in this example is $1.375

Square’s final takeaway is at most $0.435. Were the card issued by American Express, Square would actually lose money (assuming a $1.75 fee from a 3.50% discount rate).

Those aren’t great margins, to state the obvious.

Yet Square cannot really charge more. Credit card processing fees are one of the largest expenses a business faces, and every percentage point increase is a significant incentive for said business to go to the trouble of setting up and managing their own merchant account.
so the actual fee charged to the merchant for a typical credit card transaction is under 2%

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

/r/cryptocurrency continues to be an untapped gold mine.

How much have you made/lost daytrading cryptocurrencies?Fun (self.CryptoCurrency)
submitted 11 days ago by shulaces88

Starting capital? Biggest gain? Biggest loss? Let's swap some stories. Should be a fun read for some new traders out there.

[–]Xavhorn 4 points 7 days ago
Started with 15 LTC bought @ $13 each last November and didn't even sell at the $40~ peak.
LTC crashed back down so I sold it at the same price and broke even to get into Megacoin.
Megacoin was up according to Coinmarketcap.com so I bought in at the peak and lost half of my original $200 investment on LTC when it went down.
Then I got into Bytecoin and I lost money in that as well when it lost half of it's value. I was so pissed when the price shot back up after I sold my coins.
I was down to $50 and by that time Quarkcoin just had its second pump and dump so I ridiculously thought there might be a third one and put that last $50 and another $200 on Quark, along with $200 from a friend of mine.
So I waited and waited and Quark was not getting pumped. I eventually lost my patience after 3 weeks and sold at a small profit and paid back my friend the exact amount he lent me, vowing to never gamble.
Fast forward to February and I find out about Counterparty the day AFTER the burn period ended. My loving luck.
Either way, I buy around $200 worth of XCP from a reputable Bitcointalk member and held that for a long time while missing the pump to 0.029 BTC on Poloniex due to not knowing how to install the command client properly and not being able to send my XCP to my Poloniex account.
In March, I discover Auroracoin and get a feeling it's going to get a nice pump and it does... right after my payday so I miss the pump. I think and HOPE it gets pumped again before the airdrop so I invest $200 again into this coin.
It gets pumped around two weeks before the drop, but I don't sell, like an idiot. The drop comes and price comes crashing. I sell at a $150 loss on my investment.
Fast forward to early this month and Chancecoin. Another proof of burn project. I'm going all in on this one. I saw how successful Counterparty was so I figure that this has to give me at last a 100% return on my investment or better.
I even borrowed money to do so. I have around $1000 in BTC invested in Chancecoin right now so I missed the Blackcoin train because I was focused on the Chancecoin. Kind of pissed about that, but I'm still happy with my Chancecoin investment.
Recently I threw 0.15 BTC at Whitecoin and I'm praying I can ROI on that when the POS is active. If it performs even at a fraction of how Blackcoin performed and I can get at least a 500% ROI. I'm going to burn that into more Chancecoins.
And now I'm here. All in on Chancecoin and praying that Proof of Burn has some ROI magic. I finally figured out how to get Chancecoin GUI client running so I won't be late to the exchanges again.
It's been quite a journey and it's still not over.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
I'm thec12 year old in that post

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice
child actor is trying to buy gox for 1 bitcoin and then depositors will take a 75% haircut and get worthless shares

reuters posted:

U.S. and Canadian customers of failed Tokyo-based bitcoin exchange Mt. Gox have agreed to settle their proposed class action lawsuits that alleged the company defrauded them of hundreds of millions of dollars.

The class action plaintiffs agreed to support a plan by Sunlot Holdings to buy the shuttered exchange and accept their share of bitcoins still held by Mt. Gox, according to a statement and court filings.

Mt. Gox filed for bankruptcy in Japan and the United States earlier this year after saying it lost some 850,000 bitcoins - worth more than $400 million - in a hacking attack. It subsequently said it found 200,000 bitcoins.

"BEST OPTION"

Once the world's biggest bitcoin exchange, Mt. Gox is slated to be liquidated after the Tokyo District Court granted the company's request to abandon plans to revive its business.

In return for settling separate class actions, the U.S. and Canadian customers will share in a 16.5 percent stake after Mt. Gox is sold to Sunlot, a firm backed by child actor-turned entrepreneur Brock Pierce and venture capitalist William Quigley.

In addition, the customers will split the 200,000 bitcoins that Mt. Gox said it found after seeking bankruptcy protection, and will also split up to $20 million in fiat currency held by the administrator for Mt. Gox.

"This is the customers' best option and the only chance they have for full restitution," said a statement from Jay Edelson of the Edelson law firm, the lead attorney in the U.S. case.

Sunlot has proposed buying Mt. Gox for one bitcoin, or less than $500, according to the Wall Street Journal. A sale to Sunlot must be approved by the Tokyo court.

The court-appointed administrator for Mt. Gox, attorney Nobuaki Kobayashi, did not respond to a request for comment on Tuesday, a national holiday in Japan.

The settlement releases Mt. Gox's founder, Jed McCaleb, and Gonzague Gay-Bouchery, once the exchange's chief marketing officer. The pair committed to help pursue the class action against the remaining defendants: Mt. Gox CEO Mark Karpeles, parent company Tibanne, the company's banking partner Mizuho Bank Ltd and others.

The settlement needs to be approved by the Canadian and U.S. courts overseeing the class actions cases.

The U.S. class action is Gregory Greene et al v Mt. Gox Inc et al; United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois, No. 14-01437

The Canadian class action is David Joyce et al v Mt. Gox Inc et al, Ontario Superior Court of Justice, CV-14-500253-00CP (Reporting by Tom Hals in Wilmington, Delaware and Nathan Layne in Tokyo; Editing by Ian Geoghegan)

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

FMguru posted:

spotted on another blog (stratechery, an excellent tech/business blog), heres a breakdown of how credit card fees are assessed in a typical $50 transaction, and why its so hard for companies like square to make a living in that market
so the actual fee charged to the merchant for a typical credit card transaction is under 2%

it's actually a bit worse when you drill down to specific merchant types - for instance, restaurants pay lower swipe fees straight off the bat, notwithstanding discounts for volume.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Verdafolio posted:

child actor is trying to buy gox for 1 bitcoin and then depositors will take a 75% haircut and get worthless shares

Child actor Brock Pierce star of First Kid (with Sinbad). Also sued Bryan Singer for pedophilia back in 2000. Crazy world.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

doing a reference call this morning for an old coworker

the company is one of the startups trying to legitimize bitcoins

it's going to be so awkward explaining to the person how I didn't think poorly of my old cow til he tried working at their stupid startup

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Verdafolio posted:

What possible loving reason would the Japanese courts approve this jfc

not only that but I imagine there are lots of business liabilities still due that are protected or prioritized under Japanese business law, wouldn't they be required to assume those liabilities too?

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

FCKGW posted:

me, vowing to never gamble.
I'm going all in on this one.
All in on Chancecoin

lol these loving people

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

FCKGW posted:

/r/cryptocurrency continues to be an untapped gold mine.

How much have you made/lost daytrading cryptocurrencies?Fun (self.CryptoCurrency)
submitted 11 days ago by shulaces88

Starting capital? Biggest gain? Biggest loss? Let's swap some stories. Should be a fun read for some new traders out there.

[–]Xavhorn 4 points 7 days ago
Started with 15 LTC bought @ $13 each last November and didn't even sell at the $40~ peak.
LTC crashed back down so I sold it at the same price and broke even to get into Megacoin.
Megacoin was up according to Coinmarketcap.com so I bought in at the peak and lost half of my original $200 investment on LTC when it went down.
Then I got into Bytecoin and I lost money in that as well when it lost half of it's value. I was so pissed when the price shot back up after I sold my coins.
I was down to $50 and by that time Quarkcoin just had its second pump and dump so I ridiculously thought there might be a third one and put that last $50 and another $200 on Quark, along with $200 from a friend of mine.
So I waited and waited and Quark was not getting pumped. I eventually lost my patience after 3 weeks and sold at a small profit and paid back my friend the exact amount he lent me, vowing to never gamble.
Fast forward to February and I find out about Counterparty the day AFTER the burn period ended. My loving luck.
Either way, I buy around $200 worth of XCP from a reputable Bitcointalk member and held that for a long time while missing the pump to 0.029 BTC on Poloniex due to not knowing how to install the command client properly and not being able to send my XCP to my Poloniex account.
In March, I discover Auroracoin and get a feeling it's going to get a nice pump and it does... right after my payday so I miss the pump. I think and HOPE it gets pumped again before the airdrop so I invest $200 again into this coin.
It gets pumped around two weeks before the drop, but I don't sell, like an idiot. The drop comes and price comes crashing. I sell at a $150 loss on my investment.
Fast forward to early this month and Chancecoin. Another proof of burn project. I'm going all in on this one. I saw how successful Counterparty was so I figure that this has to give me at last a 100% return on my investment or better.
I even borrowed money to do so. I have around $1000 in BTC invested in Chancecoin right now so I missed the Blackcoin train because I was focused on the Chancecoin. Kind of pissed about that, but I'm still happy with my Chancecoin investment.
Recently I threw 0.15 BTC at Whitecoin and I'm praying I can ROI on that when the POS is active. If it performs even at a fraction of how Blackcoin performed and I can get at least a 500% ROI. I'm going to burn that into more Chancecoins.
And now I'm here. All in on Chancecoin and praying that Proof of Burn has some ROI magic. I finally figured out how to get Chancecoin GUI client running so I won't be late to the exchanges again.
It's been quite a journey and it's still not over.

at least with shitcoins you won't lose as much as fast at a casino and can still fuel your gambling habit

he'll never learn, rip

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
"didn't even sell at peak"

That's because you DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE PEAK IS AT THE TIME, the biggest danger of daytrading is not recognizing the difference that hindsight makes!

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

theflyingorc posted:

"didn't even sell at peak"

That's because you DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE PEAK IS AT THE TIME, the biggest danger of daytrading is not recognizing the difference that hindsight makes!

daytraders.txt

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

FCKGW posted:

It gets pumped around two weeks before the drop, but I don't sell, like an idiot.
I figure that this has to give me at last a 100% return on my investment or better.
If it performs even at a fraction of how Blackcoin performed and I can get at least a 500% ROI. I'm going to burn that into more Chancecoins.

lol @ this guy living paycheck-to-paycheck and going into debt to day-trade shitcoins, constantly chasing bubbles and losing. literally buying up something called "chancecoins". jfc

makes a convincing case for legalizing casino gambling. at least then he'd get some free drinks for his money.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

...! posted:

Bitcoins. World Involvement. And it's legality. Everyone should read this. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 3 hours ago * by 9to5everything

Bitcoin is not a currency and technically is 100% legal everywhere in the world. There is no reason it can be banned and Im surprised how many people don't realize this. Even in china, unless they start beating their citizens as to why they are not allowed to use it, theres no reason for it to be banned.

If John buys a pair of sneakers on the internet for $400 then decides he wants to trade it for other sneakers or use it to barter, noone can tell John anything. Correct? Right because there's nothing wrong with it. He's allowed to do this.

Lets say the sneaker he buys turns out to be something everyone wants and the demand goes skyhigh and the value turns into $1000. He now owns a pair of shoes that is worth $1000. It is his money and he's allowed to do whatever he wishes with them.

Bitcoin is basically taking the American dollar or world dollar and shifting it to a new "economy" or a virtual world as we call it. Liberals love this because this is allowed and by law they can't be bothered.

Once again. Legally this is allowed. 100 percent no doubt about it.

One problem now. There are flaws in Bitcoins because the internet is not the safest place to keep your "goods". This is true but people that have decided to use bitcoins know that there are risks. Just like the stock market. Or a shoe market where people barter sneakers in return for other items. Theres a risk with everything you do in life.

At this point, bartering shoes or buying and trading coins should be beyond the governments control. Technically if John wants to barter sneakers with his own money he is allowed to. Wether the shoe gets lost somewhere or stolen, thats the risk John takes and eventually the money will find its way back into the world market.

I understand this can have a 100% negative effect on the everyday world because one person in the end could have stolen billions of dollars.

Or maybe it's a good thing if you actually think about it.

On one side The U.S. government keeps raising taxes on everything from your weekly salary to your every last purchase. The money keeps going in but the economy isn't getting any better. They have enough money to buy a whole new country but they can't figure out the right way to spread the funds. Maybe shifting money to Bitcoins is a good thing. Maybe a stop to their weekly allowance (as funny as it sounds) will show them the value of money or the value of each person using their currency because if you think about it, we are using their service and they are in the ones in control. Maybe the use of Bitcoins and shifting a good amount of U.S. dollar to a new economy where we barter our hard earned money before it goes back into the world economy is a great idea.

No doubt about it were lab rats playing the game of the home team which is the gov't and thats fine. But are we not able to experiment and think outside the box for something this technologically brilliant? Nothing about this idea should be regulated by the government. WE DONT HAVE TO USE THE AMERICAN DOLLAR IN OUR EVERYDAY PURCHASE. I SURE DONT. I can technically move my money to pesos and make my everyday purchases in pesos if everyone else did it. Or back to the shoes, I could spend the rest of my life making payments and purchases in shoes. THAT'S MY CHOICE.

CHINA NEEDS TO WAKE UP. We get it your copy cats (no pun intended) and waiting for us to make the move first.

And do we even need China??? At least for now. Think about it. I get it, they are a big part of the world economy but why can't BItcoins move forward without every single countries involvement? If they see the new markets like Bitcoin's growing they will eventually have no choice but to join. For example, just like Overstocks involvement in Bitcoin, if Bitcoin was still at value of $1000 right now, or just growing in general Amazon would have no choice but to accept Bitcoin because they would lose a HUGE amount of business to Overstock. AMAZON WOULD HAVE NO CHOICE ADDING ANOTHER HUGE VENDOR TO THE LIST.

IF HUGE COMPANIES CONTINUE ACCEPTING BITCOINS CHINA WONT HAVE A CHOICE BUT TO ACCEPT IT. THEY DONT REALIZE BITCOINS IS NOT ONE FORM OF PAYMENT. ITS A FORM OF PAYMENT IN ADDITION TO THE AMERICAN DOLLAR OR YEN. IF SOMEONE PAYS ME IN PENNIES OPPOSED TO BILLS AT THE END OF THE DAY IT IS STILL MONEY. OF COURSE I ACCEPT IT. PAY ME IN A PAIR OF SHOES THAT IS EQUIVALENT TO MY ITEM FOR SALE AND IF I AGREE TO ACCEPT IT THEN THAT IS MY OWN BUSINESS DECISION. IF I PUT A "SNEAKER ACCEPTED" LOGO IN MY CHECKOUT THAT IS MY BUSINESS. When I barter my sneakers for limited edition U.S. coins NOONE says anything. But when it has the word coin next to it, it becomes a problem. Maybe thats what needs to change. It should be called something else like an item we use everyday or maybe even a new word.

China - It's time to let your people spend their money the way they want to. Eventually if this works you won't have control because they will purchase. Look how big China is, when a good amount of people there start buying Bitcoins you wont have any choice but to let them do it. It's just a matter of time before they realize this.

The money will find its way back into the economy. There are risks involved, just like when you jampack 10,000 workers into a factory that only holds 8,000. You take a risk, just like John when he decided to use his money to buy shoes and barter it because in the end its his pair of shoes.

Bitcoins is not equation for fixing the world but there should be no rules when it comes to this and there is no need for Bitcoins to be banned by anyone or any government. Day by day we realize our potential when we come out with a technological idea that makes this world that much better. What if we said printing your teddy bear is a stupid idea. We wouldn't know the potential of what it can do. The U.S. gov't is hoping the next "Economist" will come up with a solution but I highly doubt it will magically just happen or one person waking up one day and saying "Hey! I figured it out!".

Regulate your government. Noone cares. It's yours. If we want to use our money for our own services its our choice. Nothing about it is illegal nor against the norm. I'm not some guy on a forum saying "hey I want my voice to be heard". Im some guy on a forum saying I realize whats going on and it will eventually work. This is technology at its finest and it will work because in the end genius finds its way around. You have CEO's of Virgin (Keep in mind, a guy who is sending people to SPACE!) and CEO's of multi billion dollar companies who have taken the risk of accepting Bitcoins and have studies it and understood the risks and you as a Politician who masters the political field tell business magnates they have no idea whats going on? Thats sort of an insult. These are the guys sending your children to space and the ones who deliver your Christmas gifts on time when that time of the year comes around.

Im telling you if Bitcoin fails, an alternative will be formed eventually and possibly perfected because when the idea of an airplane came out, everyone thought it was stupid... and look now.

-Elham

Lol!

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

[–]blorg 2 points 21 minutes ago

The whole "plan" is handwaving. It's 22 pages of pumping up how marvellous these characters are, and then their plan to get the lost coins back on page 27 is:

Restoration of the secret key and bitcoins
<1> Digital investigation of lost coins.
<2> Restoration of bitcoins

That's it. That's the plan. For which they want $10m up front out of creditors' money.

Also, interesting to see on page 14 that under "Associations and Industry Groups in Which Group Members Participate (Serve as Officers)" the first of three listed is "Bitcoin Association", which was founded by Bruce Fenton, who is on here talking this rescue plan up constantly.

[–]MrDiddyK 3 points 12 minutes ago*

Well, now I understand what Bruce Fenton's angle on promoting this plan is. /u/bruce_fenton has paraded around this sub for weeks spreading lies and misinformation about the nature of this plan in an effort to promote it, all the while claiming to have no actual connection to it and no interest in it beyond a"very small amount of Bitcoin which was at Gox"

Well, right here in the plan it specifies this investment group includes serving officers of the Bitcoin Association, which Fenton has indicated in the past he is President of.

Who wants to bet that Bruce has been promoting this scam because he has been expecting to be brought into the fold by his buddies in the Bitcoin Association and been offered a BS position in the "New Gox" as they collect salaries from what's left of the assets and bleed it even more dry?

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Robawesome posted:

[–]blorg 2 points 21 minutes ago

The whole "plan" is handwaving. It's 22 pages of pumping up how marvellous these characters are, and then their plan to get the lost coins back on page 27 is:

Restoration of the secret key and bitcoins
<1> Digital investigation of lost coins.
<2> Restoration of bitcoins

That's it. That's the plan. For which they want $10m up front out of creditors' money.

Also, interesting to see on page 14 that under "Associations and Industry Groups in Which Group Members Participate (Serve as Officers)" the first of three listed is "Bitcoin Association", which was founded by Bruce Fenton, who is on here talking this rescue plan up constantly.

[–]MrDiddyK 3 points 12 minutes ago*

Well, now I understand what Bruce Fenton's angle on promoting this plan is. /u/bruce_fenton has paraded around this sub for weeks spreading lies and misinformation about the nature of this plan in an effort to promote it, all the while claiming to have no actual connection to it and no interest in it beyond a"very small amount of Bitcoin which was at Gox"

Well, right here in the plan it specifies this investment group includes serving officers of the Bitcoin Association, which Fenton has indicated in the past he is President of.

Who wants to bet that Bruce has been promoting this scam because he has been expecting to be brought into the fold by his buddies in the Bitcoin Association and been offered a BS position in the "New Gox" as they collect salaries from what's left of the assets and bleed it even more dry?

rofl... where has this thread been all my life??

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

...! posted:

How many years till DAOs could replace insurance providers? (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 5 hours ago by wildlight

I sure hope it's soon. I'd love crowd funded insurance where we can all pool our money and agree to charge the lowest profitable rates possible. I suppose, there will be a need for sophisticated arbitration services or ridiculously well scripted smart contracts before this could be particularly marketable. Is anyone working on this already? Is there any interesting theory on how such systems could work?

i hope somebody pointed him towards marx

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
This poo poo is actually getting kinda sad. What kind of jackoff lawyers would take this case

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice

Samurai Quack posted:

This poo poo is actually getting kinda sad. What kind of jackoff lawyers would take this case

free promotion in a national publication because bitcions are a thing

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
so these people have absolutely no say in the japanese liquidation right? this is all just :circlefap: about how smart they are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Boxturret posted:

so these people have absolutely no say in the japanese liquidation right? this is all just :circlefap: about how smart they are

phoenix wright is as close as they get to the japanese legal system

• Locked thread