Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Chanthaburi it might be.

As for you Centripetal, you'll be fine in either Bangkok or Chiang Mai with that cash on hand for three months. It's worth noting that if you're living cheaply, Bangkok isn't terribly more expensive than Chiang Mai, and wages are higher on the whole in BKK anyway if looking for a domestic job is what you wind up doing. It's probably easier to network with expats doing your type of remote work in Chiang Mai, though, owing to the city's compactness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

duralict posted:

Definitely take an extra day and go see Borobudur while you're on Java anyway.

Would it be feasible to do so? We sort of have it planned moving towards Bali and it's in the opposite direction so it might be too great of a logistic/practical headache to adjust (though it does seem quite wonderful and I'd love to manage it!)

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

MothraAttack posted:

Chanthaburi it might be.
Be sure to eat moo chamuang (Chanthorn Restaurant near town center has it) and find kwayteow moo liang too, both local specialties.

MothraAttack posted:

As for you Centripetal, you'll be fine in either Bangkok or Chiang Mai with that cash on hand for three months. It's worth noting that if you're living cheaply, Bangkok isn't terribly more expensive than Chiang Mai, and wages are higher on the whole in BKK anyway...
Yeah, if you are willing to live in a bare room on the outskirts of Bangkok you can do it for like 3K a month plus expenses. The problem is that as a newly arrived tourist, figuring all this out is tough. Still, if you head out to Bang Na, Nonthaburi, Phra Padaeng or places like this everything suddenly plummets in price, but so does the ability to speak English and deal with foreigners. If you can manage to navigate it and want to stick around longer-term you can make your money go a looonngggg way if you eat local and then avoid travel and alcohol, basically, heh.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Just find a nice bargirl you can live with for free.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Centripetal Horse posted:

Heh, I actually live in Vegas. I'm looking to take language classes and otherwise live as cheaply as possible while still having internet, running water, and air conditioning. I was going to be rolling out with what I figured would be plenty of money to skate by for a year while taking classes, but that has been severely impacted by recent happenings. Should I be thinking Chiang Mai or something instead of Bangkok?

If you're planning to take language classes, consider getting an Education visa. It'll let you remain in the country for a year and save you from doing visa runs (leaving the country). Most schools will offer the visa and one year of lessons.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Just find a nice bargirl you can live with for free.
With a heart of gold.

I'll put up a craigslist ad and see what we can reel in.

EDIT: http://bangkok.craigslist.co.th/m4w/4445510762.html

EDIT EDIT: First response:

quote:

why don't you just stay where you are?
bargirls here have heart of gold
but they are not moron,,,
and PRince of Charming are absolutely not dirt poor
No luck yet for PRince of Charming :(

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Apr 29, 2014

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

Atlas Hugged posted:

How tough is Thai to learn if you already have functional Mandarin?

Edit: Just did a quick Wiki and apparently the languages aren't as related as I thought. I've been told they're structurally similar and that the tones aren't overly difficult if you're familiar with Mandarin tones though.

Thai uses the same four tones as Mandarin with one additional tone, a low tone. So tones aren't the problem. The major difference is that where Mandarin always uses short sounds for the vowels, Thai uses short and long (naaaaaaym is different from naym), and that is pretty confusing. But on the other hand, my Mandarin has all but evaporated from disuse and been mostly replaced with Thai in my brain.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

ReindeerF posted:

With a heart of gold.

I'll put up a craigslist ad and see what we can reel in.

EDIT: http://bangkok.craigslist.co.th/m4w/4445510762.html

EDIT EDIT: First response:
No luck yet for PRince of Charming :(

Brilliant

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
I'm going to Bali for 8 days in July. 3 of those days are already booked in a resort in Seminyak that I'm thankfully not paying for. The rest of the trip I have to plan (and pay for). I'm leaving 3 days for Ubud, which includes a half-day Mt Batur trek to the summit.

Any suggestions on what to do with the rest 2 days? I'm not into diving & snorkeling much. I think I can cover Uluwatu, Tanah Lot and the obligatory Jimbaran beach dinner during my Seminyak days?

Also, my dates fall in the middle of the Ramadan month. Even though Indonesia is muslim, Bali is a hindu island primarily, so I assume this won't matter much?

If anyone has any food/B&B recommendations for Ubud, that's welcome as well. Is Ibu Oka still good? It is too touristy after Bourdain, but as long as it's still as good, slightly higher prices and crowds don't bother me.

It's my second visit to Bali, the first was years back when Kuta seemed like a ...great idea. Now with THE MISSUS no more of that!

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Lovina on the north coast is worth a couple days. Rent bikes and ride to the Buddhist temple.

Padang Bai on the east coast is more convenient and has a couple of nice hidden beaches.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Welp, another 16 dead on the same drat highway as last month. Got to hear Mae Sot's one emergency chopper going back and forth for an hour.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

MothraAttack posted:

Welp, another 16 dead on the same drat highway as last month. Got to hear Mae Sot's one emergency chopper going back and forth for an hour.
Trivia: Hua Hin's top hospital has a helipad as the major hospital there are the only hospital group with their own dedicated LifeFlight chopper (something we invented, fellow Houstonian, ahem). Unfortunately, they can't use it in Hua Hin because they have to call the local palace for permission first. That is a 100% true piece of trivia, I can vouch for it.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007
I'm in Patong, Phuket for the next week. I'm a virgin (male) goon complete with obesity and neckbeard who desperately wants sex so if you're around and keen for a drink, give me a shout.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

cent0r posted:

I'm in Patong, Phuket for the next week. I'm a virgin (male) goon complete with obesity and neckbeard who desperately wants sex so if you're around and keen for a drink, give me a shout.

Boy you really know how to sell yourself

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

CronoGamer posted:

Boy you really know how to sell yourself

I was told by my councilor females admire honesty.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

you might have more luck by yourself tbh

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Here is a comprehensive list of people I have no interest in hanging out with or interacting with in any way when I am in SEA:

1. White people
2. Europeans
3. Russians
4. Americans (non-Asian)
5. Australians

Note: I am white. Exceptions include if you're there for a legitimate purpose like economic consulting or being a doctor or on a honeymoon

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Keep us posted.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Here is a comprehensive list of people I have no interest in hanging out with or interacting with in any way when I am in SEA:

1. White people
2. Europeans
3. Russians
4. Americans (non-Asian)
5. Australians

Note: I am white. Exceptions include if you're there for a legitimate purpose like economic consulting or being a doctor or on a honeymoon

White guilt much?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

1. White people
2. Europeans
3. Russians
4. Americans (non-Asian)
5. Australians

You're a cliche from the China thread. Welcome to the SEA thread. No one does this nonsense here.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
I hope you don't like the beach

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

You're a cliche from the China thread. Welcome to the SEA thread. No one does this nonsense here.

Of course, the old cliches from the China thread that I don't read.

duralict posted:

I hope you don't like the beach

Easy to ignore people at the beach.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I avoid certain classes of tourists, but that's about it. While Maindlanders and Indians and Russians can be a nightmare at airports or in other situations where order is required, they're otherwise a non-issue. The guy who drives me nuts, though, is the lonely white male tourist in his mid-forties or older who sits near you at the restaurant and bar and who you can see is dying for you to make eye contact so he can strike up a conversation which will involve his life story, what he's doing here, where he's been, where he's going and then THE GIRLS before he asks, 30 minutes later, "So, what do you do?" When I met Mothra at a favorite cafe near KSR this happened. It's happened once or twice since then. You always have to find a way to ask for the check and GTFO as fast as possible.

ORLYSHESFROMISAANOKTHXBYE

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Yea obviously I was joking. I am a friendly person in real life. However asking variations of "why are you here" as the first or second question to raise to a non SEA who approaches you is smart considering how many people are forthcoming with their weirdness. In my case I have no interest befriending weirdos in Buddhist spiritual journeys or Christian missions nor do I care for full moon parties and the like.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

ReindeerF posted:

I avoid certain classes of tourists, but that's about it. While Maindlanders and Indians and Russians can be a nightmare at airports or in other situations where order is required, they're otherwise a non-issue. The guy who drives me nuts, though, is the lonely white male tourist in his mid-forties or older who sits near you at the restaurant and bar and who you can see is dying for you to make eye contact so he can strike up a conversation which will involve his life story, what he's doing here, where he's been, where he's going and then THE GIRLS before he asks, 30 minutes later, "So, what do you do?" When I met Mothra at a favorite cafe near KSR this happened. It's happened once or twice since then. You always have to find a way to ask for the check and GTFO as fast as possible.

ORLYSHESFROMISAANOKTHXBYE

Well and truly the worst kind. Holy gently caress there was this one old dude in Kampot town, any time I ran into him at a restaurant there the place automatically got put on my black list for 6 months... the only place I ended up consistently eating at was the one run by a guy from Manchester who couldn't loving stand him and kept him out of the bar.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Also, just curious, but how often do you guys run into Embassy staff? US embassy or otherwise. I know as Peace Corps we saw them on occasion because of government connected stuff, but I am curious how often others run into them since they seemed a bit of a reclusive lot.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

CronoGamer posted:

Also, just curious, but how often do you guys run into Embassy staff? US embassy or otherwise. I know as Peace Corps we saw them on occasion because of government connected stuff, but I am curious how often others run into them since they seemed a bit of a reclusive lot.

Working overseas and particularly SEA, outside of certain consulting firms, is becoming a senior level deal. Most people I worked with and met in the embassy and other places have 10-15 years experience which means established families and quiet boring lives. I worked at a branch of an organization that is quite huge but only had an office of 46. Pretty much everyone but me and a handful were over 42. This is a big change from even 10 or 15 years ago- basically a result of lowering overhead through country-ownership.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Working overseas and particularly SEA, outside of certain consulting firms, is becoming a senior level deal.

Are you saying as a whole this is the case? That's simply not true. There are tons of FSOs in their 20s.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

CronoGamer posted:

Are you saying as a whole this is the case? That's simply not true. There are tons of FSOs in their 20s.

In general, of course there are young people but I figured you meant people who could help with employment etc. which are generally older people than before. Where are those young people I don't know.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

CronoGamer posted:

I saw several in their late 20s/early 30s (but none younger) when I took the FSO test on-site in Bangkok. That said, you figure that Bangkok is huge, their hours are sometimes weird and they're very clique-ish, so you really don't run into them in my limited experience. I've heard that you're more likely to meet them in towns like Vientiane, which are smaller and have more insular expats in general.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

e: never mind

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
e: ^ well now this post is unintelligible

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Editing my comment too, now we're all friends :P

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 1, 2014

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

In general, of course there are young people but I figured you meant people who could help with employment etc. which are generally older people than before. Where are those young people I don't know.

I don't know where you got anything about employment from. We were just talking about foreigners and expats and the kind of people you hang out with, that's why I asked about that "class", if you will, of expat (i.e. not a hippie backpacker on a spiritual discovery, not a shitfaced bogan on a 3 year "gap year", not a creepy older guy using teaching gigs to supplement his BOOMBOOM down on the riverfront)

The point I was driving towards over all was that I had no problem with other white people in SEA unless they showed themselves to be one. I was never the "hey our skin color is the same, we're best pals now" type but I wouldn't shun people. Well, not that much, I think it's impossible not to as a PC volunteer.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
In my two years in Vietnam, I had no problems making friend with cool interesting expats and just ignoring the Aussies, hippies and sex addicts. It's just... easy. Maybe I have a natural way of letting people know not to talk to me when I don't want to and vice-versa but I can't say that having to deal with UGH THIS OLD WHITE DUDE TALKED TO ME IN A BAR ever happened.

EDIT: Tomorrow I'm flying to the Cayman Islands for a job interview, all expenses paid. I have a good offer for Hong Kong too so I'm now pulling my hair off having to decide between the Caribbean and HK.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm all too happy to late the old white guy tell me his life story because that usually means I drink for free for the rest of the night.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

I actually don't mind that guy so much. What I hate are the men who want to sit down and tell me about how their missus said all Thai men have tiny penises.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm all too happy to late the old white guy tell me his life story because that usually means I drink for free for the rest of the night.
With your new mate who is ex-SAS!

Chrono, if you're here long enough and network a lot in professional circles you eventually connect with an Embassy hive. In my experience they tend to be pretty nice. I have a number of friends with PX (commissary?) privileges who let me tag along to buy beer and stuff, which is nice, heh.

If you want to meet the embassy Marines go to play pool at Bully's. At least that used to be the spot. I'm not friends with any so I dunno.

Moistly here you need to go to stuff like AmCham happy hours and events (eg 4th of July) to meet Embassy staff in Bangkok.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

You mean to tell me, all you have to do is sit there and nod to some old guy at a bar for free drinks? GOD drat IT I'VE BEEN DOING IT WRONG!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Wish I hadn't spoke earlier about border crossings. This one -- not sure about others -- now limits you to three total land crossings. Looks like ME MISSUS and I are fleeing Thailand this weekend!