Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Fart Car '97 posted:

I could, but they've taken a real serious temperature beating in the last 2 weeks. I think I'm just going to cut my losses and spend the extra $12 on some new plants. It's not like I grew these from seed, so I have no attachment to them.

it may not be too late. Pinch off all but one or two flowers and see what happens. Also get a couple of spares just in case the old plant has a hard time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

Smoked. That is genius.

Nah....I didn't come up with that. it's pretty common. Pepper taxonomy is ridiculously complicated and follow no logic that I can see, but fresh, canned, dried or dried+smoked is about the way you'll find them.

For example, a Jalapeno when it's fresh is called a Jalapeno whether it's green or ripened. It's called a chipotle or morita when it's ripe and smoked.

Poblanos are only poblanos when they are fresh. Dry them and you get either an ancho (when it dries reddish) or a mulato (when it dries almost black). And I see now way to tell which it's gonna be. Peppers from the same plant sitting next to each other in my drying rig will turn out different.

And there's a bunch of other common oddities like the above.

I just give them all a try and see what I like.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Back on mint chat for a little bit. My brother is renting a house and not sure if he'll be moving in a month or 10 years. Since he doesn't want to do tons of work just to potentially leave it, he was pretty interested when I was talking to my wife about how plague-ish our mint can be when left unchecked. I posted before, but basically it tries its heart out to get out of a bricked in flower bed but mowing keeps it in check. Mowed down mint smells good on so many levels.

Anyway, he asked if I could dig one up and pot it for him so he could see if he can bring some life to his otherwise completely dead and barren gravelled over flower bed in front of his porch. I tried to dig one up but quickly realized/remembered that where 99% of my mint grows is probably 6 inches of gravel/big rear end rocks. This made digging some up impossible because the tip of my shovel never got more than a couple of inches in the ground. So at this point I said screw it and just started pulling some up by the roots. The first two snapped, but the third came up with I swear a root the size of a thin pencil and probably 10-12 inches long.

Now keep in mind, normally I don't transplant plants by RIPPING THEM OUT OF THE GROUND but since I have so much mint, and since mint is so drat resilient I decided to give it a shot. I grabbed an old clay pot I haven't used in eons, threw in some cheap rear end potting soil and perlite, some H2O, and gave the mint plant a new home. For the first 8 hours this thing was hating life with a passion and was limp as a wet noodle. I shoved a random stick in there and tied it up with yarn to try and do something. I went out later that night (last night) and son of a bitch did that thing bounce back!

The picture doesn't show it too much, but believe you me there is a night and day difference in how much this mint has bounced back. I can't imagine how perky and alive this thing is going to look when I get home from work but rest assured I know it's going to live forever now.

-- If you can't tell, the stick is on the right in first picture showing how severe the lean is. The second pic shows it standing near vertical again

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Excess pepper option: fermented hot sauce (basically Sriracha). I used about 90% cayenne last year and it turned out fine. It could've used more garlic and some other peppers for flavor instead of just heat but it was roughly the same heat level as Sriracha.

Tyson Tomko posted:

Now keep in mind, normally I don't transplant plants by RIPPING THEM OUT OF THE GROUND

This is how you make gardening metal. :black101:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Excess pepper option: fermented hot sauce (basically Sriracha). I used about 90% cayenne last year and it turned out fine. It could've used more garlic and some other peppers for flavor instead of just heat but it was roughly the same heat level as Sriracha.

Ohhhh...that's another good one. I'll have to remember that for this year.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Ohhhh...that's another good one. I'll have to remember that for this year.

Also, pepper jelly. It's amazing! Peppers and sugar, how can you go wrong?

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

SpannerX posted:

Also, pepper jelly. It's amazing! Peppers and sugar, how can you go wrong?

Hell yes. You can put peppers and grape jelly in a crock pot along with any meat pretty well and magic will happen.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

One of the most delicious things I've ever eaten was quail in a habañero jelly glaze.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Trebuchet King posted:

One of the most delicious things I've ever eaten was quail in a habañero jelly glaze.

We do that with ribs.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Trebuchet King posted:

Habanero, not habañero. But yeah, habanero jelly rocks. I regularly make smoked pork loin with a finishing sauce of about 5:1 habanero jelly and maple syrup.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Ok, what the hell should i do with these bean seedlings s that have a huge stock (4 inches long)and only two leaves? It can't support its own weight and is falling. SHould i put a really tiny stick in the planter and prop them up?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

SpannerX posted:

We do that with ribs.

Ribs get a mustard-based BBQ rub, sorry--I'm too stubborn to do anything else.

Now I'm thinking I should grow either some habaneros for jelly or jalapenos to make chipotles for my chipotle slaw recipe--which is what I'm growing the cilantro for, incidentally.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Tyson Tomko posted:

Now keep in mind, normally I don't transplant plants by RIPPING THEM OUT OF THE GROUND but since I have so much mint, and since mint is so drat resilient I decided to give it a shot.

Ha, this is great. I wish there were more indications in gardening books, etc. about this sort of thing. My mom horrified me at first by doing the same with liriope - I asked if I could have some, she grabbed some chunks, stuffed it in a grocery bag, and gave it to me and it's growing like gangbusters. Better, in fact, I need to thin it out.

Likewise it would be lovely to know about plants that absolutely hate everything and will die seemingly out of spite. I've had some issues with squash borer which will make it look like your squash/zucchini committed suicide, but that's understandable. I mean stuff like so-called 'container tomatoes' which will immediately keel over the second they're put outside.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
I completed my hastily constructed hobo cloche :)

Hopefully it can actually keep the warmth in so my potted chillies will actually grow. I have no idea how tall the pepper plants get, but I can make it taller if needs be.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Cimber posted:

Ok, what the hell should i do with these bean seedlings s that have a huge stock (4 inches long)and only two leaves? It can't support its own weight and is falling. SHould i put a really tiny stick in the planter and prop them up?
If they can't support their own weight and they're still on their seed leaves your solution is probably to plant more beans.

Where do you have them? My first guess would be that they're not getting enough sun, which will make beans leggy like that.

Trebuchet King posted:

Now I'm thinking I should grow either some habaneros for jelly or jalapenos to make chipotles for my chipotle slaw recipe--which is what I'm growing the cilantro for, incidentally.
Jalapeño, not jalapeno. Not really trying to give you a hard time here, just making the point that jalapeño and habanero have different N sounds in 'em, because it's one of those things that a lot of people get wrong (I said `habañero' for years myself).

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ Yeah, Habanero sounds like "ha-ba-neero" jalapeno sounds like "ha-la-payn-yo"

Tyson Tomko posted:

Hell yes. You can put peppers and grape jelly in a crock pot along with any meat pretty well and magic will happen.
I think you misunderstand - people actually make jelly out of peppers. I've got a bunch of jalapeno jelly in my pantry, that my mom made. Best rub ever for a pork shoulder. :3:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 5, 2014

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Honestly, we mostly use it on crackers with cheese. The second batch I made was so hot. It burns. :D

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dilettante. posted:

I completed my hastily constructed hobo cloche :)

Hopefully it can actually keep the warmth in so my potted chillies will actually grow. I have no idea how tall the pepper plants get, but I can make it taller if needs be.

Taller than that, most likely (depending on variety) but by the time they are too big for that enclosure they probably won't need it anymore.

Looks like you've done just fine.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

What are my tomatoes dying of now? They're acting healthy, but why are they so dark?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

SubG posted:

If they can't support their own weight and they're still on their seed leaves your solution is probably to plant more beans.

Where do you have them? My first guess would be that they're not getting enough sun, which will make beans leggy like that.

I have them in this starter.

Also you can thank my kids for taking out the identity tags after I got done planting them. What are half of them? :gonk:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cimber posted:

I have them in this starter.

Also you can thank my kids for taking out the identity tags after I got done planting them. What are half of them? :gonk:

Nothing in there has enough light or air circulation. You need both to make good starts from seed.

All of that stuff is super leggy.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Whoops!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fart Car '97 posted:

There are definitely Aim bots out for tanks. I just came across two KV2s crawling along one-shotting everyone from half way across the map through completely blocked trees.

Speaking of aim bots, yours just fired into the wrong thread.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

And I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for you :argh:

What I meant to type before switching tabs was

"Everything in that tray is pretty much a lost cause and is gonna fall over when you transplant it."

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

SubG posted:

Jalapeño, not jalapeno. Not really trying to give you a hard time here, just making the point that jalapeño and habanero have different N sounds in 'em, because it's one of those things that a lot of people get wrong (I said `habañero' for years myself).

Not gonna lie, I was typing habanero on my phone and saw I could do the n-thing, so I did--then the later post re: jalapeños was on my computer and it's not as...apparent? how to do that, hahah. I realized as I was typing it up earlier that I'd end up with them backwards, then.

Now I just need to free up the space for more boxes and then it's on to flowers, lettuces, or peppers...still haven't made my mind up.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fart Car '97 posted:

And I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for you :argh:

I'm here to help.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Trebuchet King posted:

Not gonna lie, I was typing habanero on my phone and saw I could do the n-thing, so I did--then the later post re: jalapeños was on my computer and it's not as...apparent? how to do that, hahah. I realized as I was typing it up earlier that I'd end up with them backwards, then.
To be fair, half the mexicans I know pronounce jalapeno as "halapeeno" too, so v:shobon:v

kills4pie
Feb 28, 2014

Bean posted:

What are my tomatoes dying of now? They're acting healthy, but why are they so dark?

Have they been recently frost bitten or over fertilized?

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

coyo7e posted:

^^^ Yeah, Habanero sounds like "ha-ba-neero" jalapeno sounds like "ha-la-payn-yo"

I think you misunderstand - people actually make jelly out of peppers. I've got a bunch of jalapeno jelly in my pantry, that my mom made. Best rub ever for a pork shoulder. :3:

I did misunderstand but I've had all kind of pepper jelly too and I fully agree it owns. We've had it with ribs, deer sausage/salami and straight up cheese and crackers of course. Also I wasn't sure if haberno was an "n" or an "ñ" so learn something new every day.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I got my community garden plot and it's 10x20ft. That seems like a pretty big size? I just want to grow a bunch this year now that I'll have the spot.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 6, 2014

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I don't see any point in Square Foot Gardening. It doesn't accomplish anything that thinking intelligently about plant spacing wouldn't accomplish anyways.

You have a set amount of space. Different plants require different amount of space to grow to their fullest. Decide what you want to grow, plot out plant location and spacing accordingly. You don't need some silly system to accomplish this!

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 6, 2014

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Yea after a quick read I was like nope. I have 200sq. ft. so much space.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
Picked my first cherry tomato today. Delicious. After a bit of a rocky patch everything seems to be doing wonderfully. The pole beans are blooming and the potatoes are growing like crazy.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Fart Car '97 posted:

I don't see any point in Square Foot Gardening. It doesn't accomplish anything that thinking intelligently about plant spacing wouldn't accomplish anyways.

You have a set amount of space. Different plants require different amount of space to grow to their fullest. Decide what you want to grow, plot out plant location and spacing accordingly. You don't need some silly system to accomplish this!

This is true, it seemed like the original book/concept came out because people weren't thinking intelligently about plant spacing. If you have a completely open back yard, the square foot method is a good starting point: you end up with a garden that's manageable and tidy. It's definitely a system for total beginners.

Unfortunately, the latest iterations of the method seem to be really big on selling stuff and overcomplicating matters. They really emphasize raised beds, custom soil mixes, even the "grid" to lay out the beds. The original Rodale book from the early 80s was far more streamlined, with the biggest takeaways being "don't dig up your entire yard, idiots" and "don't plant a bunch more stuff than you could grow/eat" which are good, but obvious points to anyone with one year's experience.

There's some helpful info there (how to build a cheap cold frame, how to stagger your plantings so you end up with different yields at different times, etc) but the Internet has all the info for free.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tyson Tomko posted:

Also I wasn't sure if haberno was an "n" or an "ñ" so learn something new every day.

It's okay, adding the ñ to habanero because you expect Spanish words to have an ñ in them is a common enough phenomenon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercorrection

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

vonnegutt posted:

Likewise it would be lovely to know about plants that absolutely hate everything and will die seemingly out of spite. I've had some issues with squash borer which will make it look like your squash/zucchini committed suicide, but that's understandable. I mean stuff like so-called 'container tomatoes' which will immediately keel over the second they're put outside.

Most root vegetables shouldn't be transplanted. Squash doesn't like root disturbance very much either.

kills4pie posted:

Have they been recently frost bitten or over fertilized?

I would say too much Nitrogen too but then those little holes in some of the leaves could be from frost damage. What the soil mixes and any fertilizer regime? What's the weather been like the last few days?

cheese eats mouse posted:

I got my community garden plot and it's 10x20ft. That seems like a pretty big size? I just want to grow a bunch this year now that I'll have the spot.

That's big but not too big. Our garden rents 9x12 (~108 sqft) plots and we recommend beginners only get on plot, and have limit of 2 unless there are unrented plots later in the spring.

You'll have plenty of room for some bigger stuff like winter squash, or melons if your climate allows them.

Cpt.Wacky fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 6, 2014

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Welp one of my tomatoes had curly top so I pulled it up. Hope the rest don't get it.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Cpt.Wacky posted:

That's big but not too big. Our garden rents 9x12 (~108 sqft) plots and we recommend beginners only get on plot, and have limit of 2 unless there are unrented plots later in the spring.

You'll have plenty of room for some bigger stuff like winter squash, or melons if your climate allows them.

I'm in a 7 zone so it's pretty open. I just got the call today that I'm off the wait list so I'll see what kind of shape the bed is in maybe this weekend or next week.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

vonnegutt posted:

Unfortunately, the latest iterations of the method seem to be really big on selling stuff and overcomplicating matters. They really emphasize raised beds, custom soil mixes, even the "grid" to lay out the beds.

Five minutes on the internet will find Mel having a freakout somewhere about people making Square Foot Gardens™ without a grid. He gets seriously unhinged. It's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Molten Llama posted:

Five minutes on the internet will find Mel having a freakout somewhere about people making Square Foot Gardens™ without a grid. He gets seriously unhinged. It's amazing.

We have an old copy of the 1981 version and it was actually helpful, so to find out that it's ...mutated... in recent years was a big surprise. The basic premise made a lot of sense to me - plant things as close as possible to minimize both weeding and thinning, as well as keeping a garden to a small size while retaining productivity - it just made sense.

It seems like his focus shifted from eliminating wasteful processes to Maximizing Garden Yields, which is cool, except it seems as if the costs have gone way, way up. Which is great for the brand, but not so much for the people who garden as a way to get top quality produce for the lowest price.

He has definitely always been emphatic. Even the early book comes off really preachy (without all the product placement).