Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tea Bone posted:

I have a question. Why did we start referring to GRRM as GURM? I've only ever seen that abbreviation made in the bad thread(s) so I assume it stemmed from something in one of the early iterations of these threads.

Try pronouncing GRRM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Try pronouncing GRRM.
It's the same reason show-watchers are naming their daughters Kelly C.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Urdnot Fire posted:

It's the same reason show-watchers are naming their daughters Kelly C.

Is that really happening? Who am I kidding of course it is.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Trast posted:

Is that really happening? Who am I kidding of course it is.

There was some article showing last year Khaleesi beat out Susan or something similiarly not-ultra-common but common enough that it should definitely be beating out poo poo that some fatty boom boom ex TV writer dreamt up.

Gaze into the abyss: http://www.today.com/moms/dragon-babies-unite-khaleesi-more-popular-name-betsy-2D79509123

Oh and by the way "Daenerys" barely even registers so you know who's responsible.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 6, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
why is "Mason" the most common boys name, I've literally never met someone named mason, guess its some illuminati thing

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

SaviourX posted:

Lemon cakes best cakes.

Also every time I spoil or reveal something to the gf (who doesn't give a poo poo about show/books) or ask a question like 'where did they get the lemons from', the show loving tells us a minute later. Leave some godamn mystery you cuntsssss.

I have a magical ability that makes my wife and I laugh a lot, and me feel like a loving douche, because I say "Who IS that guy" or "but what about the X" and the very next sentence anyone says in the movie/tv show, is an answer to my question.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

It rests on the idea that Euron's figured out a way to go around the world the short way,

Ah, the old hollow Westeros theory.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

When Arya was like "I have one name left... the Hound." and the Hound glances over at her, my friend looked over at me and asked "is that guy the Hound?" completely straightfaced. I burst out laughing, but that quickly ended when I realized he was dead serious.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

There was some article showing last year Khaleesi beat out Susan or something similiarly not-ultra-common but common enough that it should definitely be beating out poo poo that some fatty boom boom ex TV writer dreamt up.

Gaze into the abyss: http://www.today.com/moms/dragon-babies-unite-khaleesi-more-popular-name-betsy-2D79509123

Oh and by the way "Daenerys" barely even registers so you know who's responsible.

Someone buy Si Hui an account.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

syscall girl posted:

Yes, his favorite weapon, fire. What?

Gregor burned his face that's why he's all fugly, so fire?

Or maybe cause The Mountain's a zombie frankenstein's monster or some poo poo now, who knows?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I think that's another Kylaerism, from a short about the Nurgle daemonlord Gurm.

I bet if you looked far enough back in the various old threads, you'd find a photoshop of a Forgeworld Great Unclean One with a fisherman's cap and beard.

The old threads are gone. The great Kyankalysm of 2014 washed them away in a torrent of reddish-white poo poo.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Destroyed in the siege of the internet's last troll lair.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Jeffrey posted:

why is "Mason" the most common boys name, I've literally never met someone named mason, guess its some illuminati thing
Because those are 2014ish newborn baby names, not names of adults. Give it time and you will.

I've never listened to the audio books. Is Euron pronounced Aaron?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

syscall girl posted:

The old threads are gone. The great Kyankalysm of 2014 washed them away in a torrent of reddish-white poo poo.

:negative:

Thank the Seven I still have Clegane, P.I. saved locally.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Oh shits, I hope Kylaer saved mine, because woooops.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It's going to be funny if she turns out to be the ultimate villain of the story. You know, past the part where she wants to rape and pillage the seven kingdoms with her slave army and dragons. Because that is perfectly cool with most show watchers.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Trast posted:

It's going to be funny if she turns out to be the ultimate villain of the story. You know, past the part where she wants to rape and pillage the seven kingdoms with her slave army and dragons. Because that is perfectly cool with most show watchers.

Really? I figured I would hold out hope that her storyline from "I'm gonna chill here for a while" to "I finally rode a dragon and now I'm making GBS threads across the plains" retains at least 1/4th of the lameness from the books and crushes these retarded parents poor hearts.

Or y'know she just dies out of nowhere, gets a red wedding of her own. That'd be fine too.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

wukkar posted:

Because those are 2014ish newborn baby names, not names of adults. Give it time and you will.

I've always pronounced it 'you-ron', but I could be wrong in that.

I find it weird that there's more kids being named Arya than Sansa. 'Arya' is kind of a mouthful and can't really be shortened. Alternatively, give your kids a normal name.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

syscall girl posted:

What. All the archives are gone? Permanently? Fuuuuuuuck. Sorry, SaviorX, I don't have any of yours saved. And your The Wire stuff owned so hard :smith:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It's not necessarily permanent, just down. Given the amount of care put into the forums by Lowtax it might be awhile though...

Somehow I missed the wire stuff. I'm guessing it's because I watched the wire after reading the OG bad thread. I want to read it now.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Wire stuff was amazing. Everytime I see or hear "milk of the poppy" now I chuckle a little.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Tea Bone posted:

I find it weird that there's more kids being named Arya than Sansa. 'Arya' is kind of a mouthful and can't really be shortened. Alternatively, give your kids a normal name.

Yeah but Sansa is also the name of a lovely cheap mp3 player in the USA too so there's that. And Sansa is still a pretty bad character.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SaviourX posted:

Oh shits, I hope Kylaer saved mine, because woooops.

It's probably(?) not gone forever, so much that it's gone indefinitely. Lowtax should have the forums fixed by the time Winds of Winter is out.

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
Is that why I can only access the forums through the user CP?

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Tea Bone posted:

Arya sounds just like "Aria" though, which is a legit word and plausible name. With "Sansa" everybody's gonna know your daughter was named after a TV show, and not even after its awesome girl-power star, Kalyssie.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

CherryCat posted:

Is that why I can only access the forums through the user CP?

Try logging out.

After checking to see what everyone else was saying about search and archives being broken I couldn't see the subforums anymore but could at least see my bookmarks in the user cp. Logging out and in fixed it for me.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Arya sounds just like "Aria" though

No it doesn't, get out show watcher.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

wukkar posted:

I've always pronounced Euron the same as "urine, " though that may say more about my accent than how the name is actually supposed to be pronounced. I'm pretty sure it isn't "Aaron" though, since that's how I pronounce the name of his brother, Aeron.

I wouldn't trust the audiobooks when it comes to name pronunciation anyway. I'm looking at you, Pe-tire Baelish.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I just realized Daddy Greyjoy is still alive on the show hahaha. Take that other leeches.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I just realized Daddy Greyjoy is still alive on the show hahaha. Take that other leeches.

Well once he dies they gotta show Euron/Daario so they're holding back.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Moose King posted:

I've always pronounced Euron the same as "urine, " though that may say more about my accent than how the name is actually supposed to be pronounced. I'm pretty sure it isn't "Aaron" though, since that's how I pronounce the name of his brother, Aeron.

I wouldn't trust the audiobooks when it comes to name pronunciation anyway. I'm looking at you, Pe-tire Baelish.

My favorite was Bree-anne. Or Bry-eine. Or Bry-anne. In the same paragraph. And this was the fourth book, when Dotrice had been pronouncing it "Bry-eine" constantly for the last couple of books. Guess he figured if GURM didn't give a poo poo, why should he?

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Moose King posted:

Pretty sure Aeron is pronounced pretty similar to the Herman Miller Aeron chair, which is "air-ron." Which, in my mind, makes Euron "yoor-ron."

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

Davros1 posted:

My favorite was Bree-anne. Or Bry-eine. Or Bry-anne. In the same paragraph. And this was the fourth book, when Dotrice had been pronouncing it "Bry-eine" constantly for the last couple of books. Guess he figured if GURM didn't give a poo poo, why should he?

Bry-eine was the pronunciation that still makes me cringe to this day. Hearing that and Pih-tar was god awful.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Gnossiennes posted:

Pretty sure Aeron is pronounced pretty similar to the Herman Miller Aeron chair, which is "air-ron." Which, in my mind, makes Euron "yoor-ron."

That's how I always read it too.

But I'm the guy who read Jaime as high-me so...

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Im lucky I saw the show first cos I'm pretty sure I'd call him "Jaim" if I hadn't.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
In my head, I pronounced Aeron as Air-In and Euron as Your-in and fAegon as Oh, For gently caress's Sake.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I hope they show him next episode like "HA! My enemies are vanquished, now it's time to reap my plunder!" then smash cut to Stannis getting a raven saying that Balon fell off a bridge and died.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

ruddiger posted:

I hope they show him next episode like "HA! My enemies are vanquished, now it's time to reap my plunder!" then smash cut to Stannis getting a raven saying that Balon fell off a bridge and died.

Right in the middle of Davos trying to explain that poo poo away as a coincidence.

The Herman Miller Aeron chair - Now available in true nights watch black from Dany's Shit4less

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

ruddiger posted:

The show isn't cool enough to do that. I wish it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
So guys how about Asha's mission :lol: