Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm really curious but I don't want to step into the GoT threads, how much further has its ratings got to go before it's bigger than the Sopranos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rarity posted:

I'm really curious but I don't want to step into the GoT threads, how much further has its ratings got to go before it's bigger than the Sopranos?
The non-spoiler thread doesn't really talk about ratings, but numbers are available on the respective Wikipedia pages, which include caveats about comparing the raw numbers.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rarity posted:

Even if it ever manages to get more viewers it'll never be bigger than Sopranos.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Fox is willing to give a lot of rope to creatives, at least in comedy.

Dads renewal.

Chances of renewal from TVbytheNumbers

Rake 0%
Surviving Jack 5%
Dads 25%
Family Guy 100%

Deadpool posted:

Even if it ever manages to get more viewers it'll never be bigger than Sopranos.

Didn't the Sopranos already end? Was it really that popular?

Ravane fucked around with this message at 13:03 on May 7, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ravane posted:

Didn't the Sopranos already end? Was it really that popular?

Yes it ended. But Sopranos was landmark television. Game of Thrones is popular but it's not landmark television.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Sopranos was a show where everyone who watched it felt the need to make sure everyone they knew was aware they watched.

So it seems more popular than it was. It still had really good ratings though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Aphrodite posted:

The Sopranos was a show where everyone who watched it felt the need to make sure everyone they knew was aware they watched.

So it seems more popular than it was. It still had really good ratings though.

I'm guessing it was also a much larger proportion of people watching TV at the time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Its best rated seasons aired from 2002 forward, I don't know how much the audience has changed since then.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Its best rated seasons aired from 2002 forward, I don't know how much the audience has changed since then.
The 10th highest rated show in 2001-02 had a 11.4 rating while in 2012-13 it had a 4.1 rating, so yes, things have changed to say the least.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

The 10th highest rated show in 2001-02 had a 11.4 rating while in 2012-13 it had a 4.1 rating, so yes, things have changed to say the least.

Yeah, but that only proves the audience is more spread out. Unless you have the shares too.

Edit: According to this the 2001-2002 estimate was 105.5 million households.

Their 2013 estimate was 10 million more. So decent growth, but not a huge difference.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 7, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, but that only proves the audience is more spread out. Unless you have the shares too.

Edit: According to this the 2001-2002 estimate was 105.5 million households.

Their 2013 estimate was 10 million more. So decent growth, but not a huge difference.
The 10th ranked show in 2001-02 was West Wing where a 11.4 rating was an 18 share.

The 10th ranked show in 2012-13 was Grey's Anatomy where a 4.1 rating was an 11 share.

It's possible I'm reading the numbers wrong, but it seems like a 64% drop in eyeballs only resulted in a 39% drop in share.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Ravane posted:

As I said a few months ago, we'll know we're in the darkest timeline if Dads gets renewed and Almost Human gets cancelled.

I really feel like this is going to happen, but I have a history of making terrible bets. If the darkest timeline doesn't occur, I'll incur a two week probation. Let's :toxx: about it.

Fox just cancelled Dads (as well as Enlisted and Surviving Jack). We're not the darkest timeline, woohoo.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/fox-dads-surviving-jack-cancelled/

Unfortunately, I'll now be probated. Ah well, just in time for Finals.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Deadpool posted:

Yes it ended. But Sopranos was landmark television. Game of Thrones is popular but it's not landmark television.

What does this even mean? There's no real barometer for what a "landmark" program is other than the person describing it as such happens to like show X more than show Y.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

JohnSherman posted:

What does this even mean? There's no real barometer for what a "landmark" program is other than the person describing it as such happens to like show X more than show Y.

The Sopranos was the first non-horror drama that isn't Oz on a pay cable network to achieve mainstream popularity in America.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Game of Thrones is mainstream popular? Everything I've seen with my own eyes seems to tell me otherwise. I certainly see more people talking about GoT than I ever did Sopranos (outside of the finale.)

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Probably because torrents are a lot easier than stealing HBO back in the day.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

Game of Thrones is mainstream popular? Everything I've seen with my own eyes seems to tell me otherwise. I certainly see more people talking about GoT than I ever did Sopranos (outside of the finale.)

Game of Thrones is mainstream. It's get referenced on talk shows and on the 24 hour news channels from time to time.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Ravane posted:

Fox just cancelled Dads (as well as Enlisted and Surviving Jack). We're not the darkest timeline, woohoo.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/fox-dads-surviving-jack-cancelled/

Unfortunately, I'll now be probated. Ah well, just in time for Finals.

Dads, along with Rake, Surviving Jack, and Enlisted. Also Idol gets another season to continue its downward spiral. Meanwile on NBC, SVU got renewed.

RIP Enlisted and Surviving Jack. You deserved much better than you got.

ToastyPotato posted:

Game of Thrones is mainstream popular?

This is the :psyduck:est question. Obama made a GoT reference at a recent event. It's loving enormous.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Game of Thrones is much much bigger than Sopranos ever was if you look at it globally.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

ToastyPotato posted:

You see GoT references everywhere outside of nerd media, mainstream newspapers run articles about it from time to time or reference it. GoT gets reviewed and pondered on in the New Yorker, The Atlantic, The Rolling Stone, The Telegraph and the Guardian. "You win or you die", "Winter is coming" and other things are referenced pretty often in places you wouldn't expect.

Sure, Obama is kinda a nerd, but that's from the Twitter account of the loving White House:

Decius fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 8, 2014

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I had a typo guys. I meant to type "Game of Thrones isn't mainstream?" Look at the last sentence of that post I made. I see way more people talking about GoT than Sopranos. That was my point. It is really mainstream and popular so I don't see how it isn't or won't be bigger than Sopranos.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Decius posted:

You see GoT references everywhere outside of nerd media, mainstream newspapers run articles about it from time to time or reference it. GoT gets reviewed and pondered on in the New Yorker, The Atlantic, The Rolling Stone, The Telegraph and the Guardian. "You win or you die", "Winter is coming" and other things are referenced pretty often in places you wouldn't expect.

Sure, Obama is kinda a nerd, but that's from the Twitter account of the loving White House:

Obama's favorite vegetable is arugula. He's more than just a nerd, He's probably a TVIV poster.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Sigh, I'm still heartbroken about that. The Following gets to continue to fall and get stupider and a show that was shown out of order gets reamed.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

RIP Enlisted and Surviving Jack. You deserved much better than you got.

Surviving Jack at least got a small(super small) chance. Enlisted was tossed to the Friday slot with no hesitation at all.
Still, Mindy's renewal is like, the top surprise of the season. I'd normally say that for About a Boy and Blind Dad, but they get the Voice prop-up so they don't seem to suffer the same fate as Thursday.

Also, thanks Glee! You really are showing how worth it was for Fox to give you a 2 year extension.
If Fox renews Glee next year(Or is it ending this year?), that will be the biggest surprise ever. That or surprise cancelling Family Guy.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Postal Parcel posted:

Sigh, I'm still heartbroken about that. The Following gets to continue to fall and get stupider and a show that was shown out of order gets reamed.

I would be very surprised to see a renewal for The Following. Which is to say that it's getting renewed.

Postal Parcel posted:

If Fox renews Glee next year(Or is it ending this year?), that will be the biggest surprise ever. That or surprise cancelling Family Guy.

It is ending next year as a creative decision and there are some very embarrassed executives responsible for keeping it on the air another season. To be perfectly frank I think it's probable that it gets a Friday timeslot in the Fall where it can continue to decay until they run out of episodes, which I'm sure they're hoping happens by midseason.

And Family Guy's remaining episodes will air and I'm sure there are plenty already done. It's their top-rated Sunday show and one of their top 5 overall (if I'm not mistaken).

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CW renewed Beauty and the Beast. There are no words.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Deadpool posted:

Yeah, WTF. That's after they pushed it back on the schedule to summer airing. Does it have some insane international love or someting?

They also renewed Hart of Dixie and The 100.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/05/08/beauty-and-the-beast-renewed-by-the-cw/261847/

The Carrie Diaires, Star-Crossed and The Tomorrow People were cancelled.

Gave greenlights to The Flash, iZombie, Jane the Virgin and The Messengers.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/05/08/the-cw-greenlights-the-flash-izombie-jane-the-virgin-the-messengers/261858/

Supernatural Bloodlines was NOT picked up. Wonder if we'll get a follow up next season on Supernatural to possibly pick up the dangling plot threads from that episode.

Teek fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 8, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jane the Virgin's concept sounds ridiculous. I don't know how you make a full series from that.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Jane the Virgin's concept sounds ridiculous. I don't know how you make a full series from that.

Well it's already a full series in South America so I guess your answer is out there already.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Deadpool posted:

I believe you mean Peoples' Choice Award recipient Beauty and the Beast. :colbert:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Chris McKenna possibly ironitweeting (coined it) about Community being cancelled, then immediately walking it back leads me to be unnecessarily concerned over Community's chances

I mean, logically if Community was gonna be cancelled we should've heard about it already, but I'm still mega worried.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Occupation posted:

Chris McKenna possibly ironitweeting (coined it) about Community being cancelled, then immediately walking it back leads me to be unnecessarily concerned over Community's chances

I mean, logically if Community was gonna be cancelled we should've heard about it already, but I'm still mega worried.

NBC gains nothing from cancelling Community at this point. They could at the very least give them a reduced season, but for what? They have nothing to put there. Nothing they put there will cost less AND get more viewers at this rate.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Deadpool posted:

There can't be actual fans for this show, I refuse to believe it's still running without dirty money being poured into it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I am fairly certain that my mom watches almost every single show on CW, EXCEPT Beauty and the Beast. That might literally be one of the few shows she does not watch on that channel.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Deadpool posted:

Between that and Mindy I'm questioning the value of conventional wisdom w/r/t renewals and cancellations because :vince:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I still haven't figured out why William Shatner continues to plug CW shows constantly on Twitter. He's either a giant fanboy or cashing a check (for some reason). I lean towards the latter, of course...

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Once Upon a Time, Castle, Scandal, Grey's Anatomy, Revenge and Resurrection were renewed by ABC:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/05/08/once-upon-a-time-resurrection-renewed-by-abc/261911/

They greenlit How to Get Away With Murder, Blackish, American Crime, Galavant and The Whispers:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/05/08/abc-greenlights-shonda-rhimes-drama-how-to-get-away-with-murder/261919/

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Goldbergs and Agents of [Nothing] too.

They also picked up another Marvel series.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Ravane posted:

Obama's favorite vegetable is arugula. He's more than just a nerd, He's probably a TVIV poster.

The fact that his favorite vegetable is an actual vegeteble precludes him from a being a goon from any subforum.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Well it's already a full series in South America so I guess your answer is out there already.

Yeah but how many episodes do they do? They might be like England where they do 6 episodes once every passing of Halley's Comet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but how many episodes do they do? They might be like England where they do 6 episodes once every passing of Halley's Comet.

153 episodes. Telenovelas, assuming the show is successful, will typically have a pretty long run, from my very limited knowledge of them thanks to some of my family members watching them through out the years.

• Locked thread