Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Discount Philosopher and Cat Whisperer

Brainamp posted:

Looking for a decent Sci-fi novel. Preferably something recent. Catch is that it has to have an audiobook version.

Altered Carbon - 500 years from now you have an implant that effectively makes you immortal. Noirish tough guy investigates what seems a pointless suicide. One of my all time favorites. By Richard K. Morgan

The Skinner - thousands of years from now on an extremely weird planet extremely weird stuff goes on. Another one of my all time favorites. Many other books set in The Polity Universe precede and follow. By Neal Asher.

The Disappeared - Police procedural set on the moon, which is Earth's gateway to the dozens of alien races, complete with unfathomable legal agreements, a Space Traffic Cop makes some interesting decisions. 7 more books follow in The Retrieval Artist series. By Kathryn Rusch.

Avogadro Corp. Email program gets a little too smart for its own good. By William Hertling.

Jennifer Government. Imagine the Citizens United victory taken a few steps further. Corporations rule. You can call 911 but it ain't free. Also Lexicon, if words could kill....Both by Max Barry.

Apocalypse A-Go-Go. The power of boobies after the fall. By Victor Gischler.

God's War (followed by Rapture and Infidel) is book one of The Bel Dame Apocrypha. . Umayama is not a fun place to live. Nor is life easy for disgraced Bel Dames (Government Assassins). Another top favorite. By Kameron Hurley.

I own the print/Kindle versions and audio versions of all the above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
I want Robert E Howard in space! Closest I can think of is maybe Dune and... Warhammer 40k. No hard-sci fi, please. I want pulp, absurd scale and a sense of myth. Hell, the movie Chronicles of Riddick satisfies my requirements pretty well. I'm just kinda hoping for something... better.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

DirtyRobot posted:

I want Robert E Howard in space! Closest I can think of is maybe Dune and... Warhammer 40k. No hard-sci fi, please. I want pulp, absurd scale and a sense of myth.

Since "good" wasn't one of your qualifications, I recommend Piers Anthony - Bio of a Space Tyrant

(don't actually read this)

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

DirtyRobot posted:

I want Robert E Howard in space! Closest I can think of is maybe Dune and... Warhammer 40k. No hard-sci fi, please. I want pulp, absurd scale and a sense of myth. Hell, the movie Chronicles of Riddick satisfies my requirements pretty well. I'm just kinda hoping for something... better.

If you can stand semi-racist pulp scifi from the 1920's-1930's , Doc EE Smith's lensmen series or Skylark of space series are epic.
Planets & suns are used like bullets around the 3rd book of skylark series, and the series ends with turning a entire galaxy into a mega-galaxy-supernova for REASONS.
The Lensmen series has similar galactic weapon ideas, but is more focused on different generations of basically proto-Green Lanterns.

Just be aware that EE Smith was heavily into nudism, and genetic purity.
And I wasn't kidding about anything I just wrote.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

DirtyRobot posted:

Ben Bova's Orion series might suit.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

tuluk posted:

If you can stand semi-racist pulp scifi from the 1920's-1930's , Doc EE Smith's lensmen series or Skylark of space series are epic.
Planets & suns are used like bullets around the 3rd book of skylark series, and the series ends with turning a entire galaxy into a mega-galaxy-supernova for REASONS.
The Lensmen series has similar galactic weapon ideas, but is more focused on different generations of basically proto-Green Lanterns.

Just be aware that EE Smith was heavily into nudism, and genetic purity.
And I wasn't kidding about anything I just wrote.
This sounds great, thanks. I enjoy Rider Haggard even though he's a racist gently caress, and I also enjoy old Weird Tales comics and so on, so I can probably stand whatever unpleasantness the 20s and 30s have to throw at me. (Admittedly, the genetic purity bit does sound especially bad.)

Selachian posted:

Ben Bova's Orion series might suit.
This is a great recommendation. I've read most of em, but Google tells me he released one in 2011 I haven't read. Awesome.

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 10, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

DirtyRobot posted:

Robert E. Howard in space was almost literally the John Carter of Mars series by Edgar Rice Burroughs (same guy who wrote Tarzan).

The same caveats about 30's racism apply. Burroughs was trying so hard not to be racist! He was always certain to make sure there was at least one Good Black Martian, Good Green Martian, etc.!See, John Carter is a confederate soldier and swordsman from Earth, and so on Mars, he has super-strength due to the lower gravity . . .

If you saw the recent John Carter movie it's pretty much that, on the page. It's a shame the film flopped, but all the best scenes got used in star wars, so audiences have seen it all before a hundred times by now (you know the big fight in the space arena? Burroughs invented that).

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 10, 2014

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I'm looking for modern murder-mysteries. I've read a lot of older noir (Raymond Chandler etc) but I'd like to find some stuff that's a little more contemporary. Somebody gets killed, somebody else tries to figure out who killed them. Don't need to be well written: it's for analysis more than pleasure.

I wouldn't object to an Urban-Fantasy twist (I liked London Falling) but I'd prefer stuff that's just straightforward policework.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Robert E. Howard in space was almost literally the John Carter of Mars series by Edgar Rice Burroughs (same guy who wrote Tarzan).

The same caveats about 30's racism apply. Burroughs was trying so hard not to be racist! He was always certain to make sure there was at least one Good Black Martian, Good Green Martian, etc.!See, John Carter is a confederate soldier and swordsman from Earth, and so on Mars, he has super-strength due to the lower gravity . . .

If you saw the recent John Carter movie it's pretty much that, on the page. It's a shame the film flopped, but all the best scenes got used in star wars, so audiences have seen it all before a hundred times by now (you know the big fight in the space arena? Burroughs invented that).
Okay, cool. In my head I actually almost conflate Burroughs and Howard, and yet I'd dismissed John Carter of Mars for some reason--I'll check it out.

Your mentioning Star Wars is interesting, because it's a perfect example of exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for, I suppose becuase it's obviously such a loving homage to what I'm looking for. And yet I didn't even think of it when I made my post, because in my weirdo brain (the same one that conflates Howard and Burroughs occasionally) Star Wars gets its own category. (Also, I'm Star Wars'd out.)

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

DirtyRobot posted:

Okay, cool. In my head I actually almost conflate Burroughs and Howard, and yet I'd dismissed John Carter of Mars for some reason--I'll check it out.

You're probably remembering the literal ripoff of the first John Carter book that Robert Howard did called Almuric.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I'm looking for modern murder-mysteries. I've read a lot of older noir (Raymond Chandler etc) but I'd like to find some stuff that's a little more contemporary. Somebody gets killed, somebody else tries to figure out who killed them. Don't need to be well written: it's for analysis more than pleasure.

I wouldn't object to an Urban-Fantasy twist (I liked London Falling) but I'd prefer stuff that's just straightforward policework.

Maybe try the Charlie Parker books by John Connolly? They're incredibly dark mysteries with just a taste of the supernatural. The series starts with Every Dead Thing.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Ed McBain's 87th Precinct books? There are a ton of them, they're generally good reads, and they're written in a very simple, just-the-facts style. Although McBain was leaning pretty heavily on formula characters near the end of his life.

punissuer
Nov 6, 2009
I love spy novels with John Le Carre being my favorite. Any recommendations for non-fiction which goes deeper into espionage tradecraft? Dead drops, James Bond hair on the door frame, etc...?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

punissuer posted:

I love spy novels with John Le Carre being my favorite. Any recommendations for non-fiction which goes deeper into espionage tradecraft? Dead drops, James Bond hair on the door frame, etc...?

Spycatcher is pretty much that, though the veracity is disputed. There's a book that's sort of a layman's field guide, called something like Guide to the Secret War, and I liked it, but I can't remember the actual title.

Fenrra
Oct 13, 2010

funkybottoms posted:

Josh Bazell's Beat the Reaper, Don Winslow's Savages, Charles Stross' Laundry Files series and The Android's Dream, Simon Morden's Petrovich books, Mike Carey's Felix Castor series, Joe Lansdale's Hap and Leonard books, maybe Scott Sigler's Infected series

Thanks for the advice! Picked up "Beat the Reaper" And loving it so far.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I'd really like a good urban fantasy series that doesn't involve a detective type as a lead character. I loved The Dresden Files & liked the Southern Vampire Mysteries, but would like something with a bit less "there's a supernatural serial killer afoot!" stuff.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Mog posted:

I'd really like a good urban fantasy series that doesn't involve a detective type as a lead character. I loved The Dresden Files & liked the Southern Vampire Mysteries, but would like something with a bit less "there's a supernatural serial killer afoot!" stuff.

They're not precisely a series, but you might enjoy Charles De Lint's Ottawa books (Moonheart, Spiritwalk, Jack of Kinrowan, Yarrow et al).

Moral
Feb 9, 2014

I'm not really sure what I'm doing.

regulargonzalez posted:

I guess Wheel of Time would be a pretty good fit, although it follows the pov of more characters. But for world building and a sense of exploring and discovering the world with the main character(s), it'd be tough to do better. And there are lots of "little clue" type things but they tend to be a bit more subtle than in Kingkiller Chronicles and, given the scope of the Wheel of Time series, often don't have a payoff for several books.

Really late response but I honestly forgot I had posted her a while back. I'll pick it up! When I don't have a book to read it kind of feels like I'm wasting my time, so anything is better than nothing. I've had a few RL friends recommend the Wheel of Time as well so I suppose now's better than never.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So I recently decided to do some reading about Rasputin. Obviously he's a very contentious figure so there's a hell of a lot of misinformation about him. What would be a good book, or a good pairing to get the full story? Obviously the sensational demonisation makes for entertaining reading but I'd also like to know about him as an actual person.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Ddraig posted:

So I recently decided to do some reading about Rasputin. Obviously he's a very contentious figure so there's a hell of a lot of misinformation about him. What would be a good book, or a good pairing to get the full story? Obviously the sensational demonisation makes for entertaining reading but I'd also like to know about him as an actual person.

I read The Rasputin File by Edvard Radzinsky a few years ago. Here's what I said about it at the time.

quote:

A biography of the eponymous monk. The file in question refers to documents compiled by investigators instigated by the provisional government following the revolution, intended to show how debauched the last tsar's regime had become (thereby justifying the revolution post hoc). The author's quest for this file spanned decades, and was valuable for containing what was unavailable from any other source: testimony of followers and friends of Rasputin, who was at the time of his death the most hated man in Russia.

All I really knew about Rasputin came from that Boney M song, so virtually everything in this book was new to me: the semi-feudal state of Russian empire at the dawn of WWI; the religious, superstitious, and mystical leanings of the russian people; the semi-literate siberian peasant's power over the tsar's wife, and, through her, over the tsar and his decision making during wartime; alongside the primitive state of the russian economy and social organization, the surprisingly modern state of their secret police.

The author is a playwright, not an academic historian, and it shows in the prose: despite (or maybe due to) the translation, the narrative really crackles. Here's what the NYT had to say:

quote:

This work is a gripping tale of Rasputin's ascent to power, a story almost Tolstoyan in its complexities and ironies, as royal relatives and hangers-on enter and exit the stage. Sometimes the trees of intrigue overshadow the forest of a nation's fate, but the reader's concentration is fortunately aided by a prefatory guide to all the main characters and a genealogical table of the Romanovs. Radzinsky does not flinch from scandal about the marital breakups, the drunken orgies and the liaisons of all sorts that crisscrossed the Russian court.

Even though this isn't an academic biography, I feel like the author stays true to the sources, and although he speculates freely (eg on Rasputin's state of mind, on his enemies' motivations, on events where no eyewitness testimony exists) he is careful to preface these speculations for what they are.

This is a great book, full of weirdness and drama and tension.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I was looking at that but unfortunately my library doesn't have it and I'm strapped for cash at the moment. They do have Rasputin: The Last Word, though. It's by the same author. Is it just an alternate title or a different work?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I believe "Last Word" is the alternate English title.

Adib
Jan 23, 2012

These are strange times, my dear...

Ddraig posted:

I was looking at that but unfortunately my library doesn't have it and I'm strapped for cash at the moment.

I guess it is the same book according to dokmo—but for the future, you might want to see if your library does interlibrary loans. That way, even if they don't have the book you're looking for, they may be able to borrow it from another library.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Adib posted:

I guess it is the same book according to dokmo—but for the future, you might want to see if your library does interlibrary loans. That way, even if they don't have the book you're looking for, they may be able to borrow it from another library.

Yeah they do interlibrary loans, I did a search for it on their website which crosslinks all their libraries. I'll go for Last Word, then. Thanks for the recommendation people.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Just a general tip here, interlibrary loan is the best thing in the world.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Libraries are pretty much the best things ever, but interlibrary loans are the icing on the cake. Ever since my laptop blew the gently caress up I'm pretty much on first name terms with the staff of at least two libraries nearby.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

But library books have those annoying covers and then I can't keep it on my shelf forever when I'm done

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I spent thousands on crappy scifi paperbacks when I was younger and didn't even end up reading half of them. Nowadays I'm content not paying for any books except for history and reference books I might need to use again and again, and occasionally genre short fiction anthologies, when they're 1˘ plus shipping on Amazon.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Discount Philosopher and Cat Whisperer

The Last Policeman by Ben Winter and The Retrieval Artist series by Kathryn Rusch might be appropriate. Book 1 of The Retrieval Artist (The Disappeared) is not a murder mystery but book 2, Extremes, is, and so are many of the other books in this rather good series.

http://smile.amazon.com/Last-Police...+last+policeman

http://smile.amazon.com/Disappeared...etreival+artist

http://smile.amazon.com/Extremes-Re...=extremes+rusch

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

nvm

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
I just finished reading William Gibson's Neuromancer and really liked it. I'm trying to decide if I should continue next on to the other two books in the trilogy or skip them and check out one of his other two trilogies OR if that was considered his best offering move on to something else in the cyberpunk genre.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

StickFigs posted:

I just finished reading William Gibson's Neuromancer and really liked it. I'm trying to decide if I should continue next on to the other two books in the trilogy or skip them and check out one of his other two trilogies OR if that was considered his best offering move on to something else in the cyberpunk genre.

They're both pretty fun (although the sprawl trilogy may read a bit dated). The bridge trilogy is better but if you enjoyed Neuromancer there's no reason not to keep going. Gibson is at his best obsessively contemplating objects of craft/trash/art/tech and you get good moments in both series. Just don't expect to meet any people you'll remember.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

I'm trying to improve my third person prose and was wondering if you guys would recommend any good third person books. Classics are nice but I would prefer something more modern and something that you think is beautifully written. The genre doesn't matter.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Recommend a third person book? Seriously? You might as well ask for a recommendation for a book with words. Do you read at all?

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Raspberry Bang posted:

I'm trying to improve my third person prose and was wondering if you guys would recommend any good third person books. Classics are nice but I would prefer something more modern and something that you think is beautifully written. The genre doesn't matter.

Havw you tried GRAVITY'S RAINBOW by THOMAS PYNCHON?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Raspberry Bang posted:

What avenue of third person? Limited? Omniscient? Past tense? Present tense? Narrative first? Subjective? Objective? Omniscient? Fiction? Nonfiction?

Have you read anything?

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Raspberry Bang posted:

Have you tried Clarissa by Samuel Richardson?

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Get a huge short story anthology or omnibus and read every story, especially if the book has "Best American Short Stories" or "Best African American Short Stories" or "Best Whatever" in the title. Even if a particular story is written in the first person or second person or whatever. Read them. Then get another omnibus and do it again. Then read every book you might have gotten told to read for high school. Keep doing this for a decade, and write every chance you get in the meantime. After a decade burn everything you wrote and keep reading. Your prose should improve.

Fenrra
Oct 13, 2010

Brainamp posted:

Looking for a decent Sci-fi novel. Preferably something recent. Catch is that it has to have an audiobook version.

On Basilisk Station by David Weber is pretty awesome. If you go through audible for your audiobooks you can pickup the Ebook for free and get the audiobook for like 1.99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Here are some good third-person books.

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon
The Once and Future King by T.H. White
East of Eden by John Steinbeck
Stoner by John Williams
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

They're all fiction. They're also my go-to recommendations for anyone who wants good prose.

The Awful Book of the Month this month, One Hundred Years of Solitude, is also a brilliant book written in third-person.