Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It's also possible that it is still Yui in Unit-01 up to some unspecified point, likely between Rebuild 2 and 3, and also allowing for the possibility that she has a different agenda or that the status of her soul isn't exactly the same as the original series. In EoE it actually does take Shinji's conscious will to start the process, after all. Maybe in Rebuild she's there but only as a catalyst rather than as the ghost in the proverbial machine.

We know almost nothing about Rebuild's version of the conspiracy except that a) Yui's contact experiment still happened and resulted in her disappearance and b) Kaworu is still somehow associated with SEELE. The Katsuragi expedition definitely happened differently, lots of characters have different agendas (SEELE, Fuyutsuki) or at least it's unclear whether they do (Ritsuko, Kaji) and then of course there's whatever Mari's up to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

So what does it mean when Fuyutsuki says that Yui is the control system for Unit-01 in Rebuild 3? Is her soul still the one inside or is she similar to an operating system for the EVA itself?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Scyantific posted:

So what does it mean when Fuyutsuki says that Yui is the control system for Unit-01 in Rebuild 3? Is her soul still the one inside or is she similar to an operating system for the EVA itself?

I'm fairly certain Fuyutsuki's information is out of date by the time he tells Shinji that. He hasn't seen Unit-01 since before the timeskip, Gendo doesn't seem to be keeping him as much in the loop as he used to and presumably he has no way of knowing things that only Wille have seen/measured, i.e. the 0.0% sync ratio. Plus Gendo addresses the Lilith corpse as Yui and now seems disinterested in Unit-01.

As for what "control system" actually means, the more literal and science-like these questions get, the less chance there is of them ever being answered. :v:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Franz von Dada posted:

No, that's exactly what I'm talking about.

I know Eva Units can run fast and jump high, but all those giant leaps through the sky are way too much. Sure, we see they destroy the enviroment they step on, but they don't look heavy. They're too slick and neat. This is hard to explain, but I guess the original Units just felt more gritty and had these clunky movements that made them seem like heavy machinery rather than super robots that can do anything. Maybe it was because of the lack of budget but then [plinkett] the limitations just made it cooler. [/plinkett]

Mechs having weight is one of the reason I really liked Big O.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EGdTSeIbhM

Squallege fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 12, 2014

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I kind of wish that we got to see more about the SEELE moon base and the big thing they found there. That was cool.

I think ImpAtom is right as far as Rebuild 1.0 goes. It was just a straight up remake of the show. Even 2.0 pretty much was. It seemed to be heading for a 'things will go down differently during the last 'arc' and it might be a happy ending!' It was only 3.0 where things started to get really weird, but 3.0 is still fantastic.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Despite the story going off the rails and into a ditch with teeth I still really liked 3.33.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

notZaar posted:

If you don't remember any fan service in Eva maybe you should watch rebuild 2.0 again.

I meant the original series. Rebuild comes under spin-off/sequel for me as it's after the fact of a whole series and movie.

The original series was made before fan service was a named/trope of a thing.

God I heard just type those two words together.

I think unless you stumble across the original series without a poo poo ton of people hyping it for you I
You're probably not going to enjoy it on the same scale.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Facepalm Ranger posted:

The original series was made before fan service was a named/trope of a thing.

No it wasn't. Misato promises "more fanservice!" in every next episode preview. (Up to a point.)

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Squallege posted:

Despite the story going off the rails and into a ditch with teeth I still really liked 3.33.

Maybe if you liked it in spite of a concerted effort not to, you should reconsider whether or not it was actually "bad."

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

mr. stefan posted:

Maybe if you liked it in spite of a concerted effort not to, you should reconsider whether or not it was actually "bad."

I never thought it was bad. In fact, I really like a lot about it. The story is just a bit of down side. It gets a little confusing but I think it's good.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

No it wasn't. Misato promises "more fanservice!" in every next episode preview. (Up to a point.)

I...I just don't remember. I only remember the to be continued in rebuild 1, misato's English voice actor saying "and plenty more fan service" I almost cringed to death.

Are talking the English voice or Japanese voice version? As I watched the English one and only began hearing the term fan service during that time when anime began to mostly be the high school girl comedy/shite stuff was coming out a few years ago.

I wish fan service meant more than t&a...

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Squallege posted:

I never thought it was bad. In fact, I really like a lot about it. The story is just a bit of down side. It gets a little confusing but I think it's good.

3.0 suffered from time gap and nobody explain what's what to shinji (or audience) and an almost 10 minute long montage of piano playing. Kwarou was much better done in the series.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I...I just don't remember. I only remember the to be continued in rebuild 1, misato's English voice actor saying "and plenty more fan service" I almost cringed to death.

Since they did the same "and plenty more fan service" thing in Japanese for Rebuild 3, you might want to consider if there might be a note of dark irony to the whole thing instead of it being played absolutely straight.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

cafel posted:

Since they did the same "and plenty more fan service" thing in Japanese for Rebuild 3, you might want to consider if there might be a note of dark irony to the whole thing instead of it being played absolutely straight.

Are you trying to tell me that you didn't feel titillated by the fan service that was that mouth canyon?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Facepalm Ranger posted:

3.0 suffered from time gap and nobody explain what's what to shinji (or audience) and an almost 10 minute long montage of piano playing. Kwarou was much better done in the series.

I'll give you the piano sequence, mostly because I forgot it even happened. But nobody explaining anything to Shinji pays off when he yanks the spears out and starts fourth impact accidentally. Which puts him at 0 for 2 as far as solving his problems with the Eva goes.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Squallege posted:

I'll give you the piano sequence, mostly because I forgot it even happened. But nobody explaining anything to Shinji pays off when he yanks the spears out and starts fourth impact accidentally. Which puts him at 0 for 2 as far as solving his problems with the Eva goes.

No, I'm pretty sure by the time Shinji grasps the Spear the only person who doesn't realize it's a horrible idea is Shinji himself.

What I kinda don't get is why Kaworu decided mumbling to himself about how things weren't the way they were supposed to be was preferable to yelling at Shinji to stop.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The piano sequence is great, man. It's not the best Shinji / Kaworu scene in the franchise (that would be the one where they're descending the wall together and Kaworu guilt trips him) but how can you hate sketchily animated technicolor horses as a metaphor for gay platonic love?

Pureauthor posted:

What I kinda don't get is why Kaworu decided mumbling to himself about how things weren't the way they were supposed to be was preferable to yelling at Shinji to stop.

Maybe the series really is a time loop, but Kaworu is the only one who experiences it. And since he isn't the POV character, all this means is that he acts weirdly unconcerned when everything goes horrifyingly wrong, because he'll just start over, but everyone else still has to live with the consequences.

Although that kind of implies that at some point yelling and trying to stop him already didn't work.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 12, 2014

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pureauthor posted:

No, I'm pretty sure by the time Shinji grasps the Spear the only person who doesn't realize it's a horrible idea is Shinji himself.

Well yeah. That's what's so great about it. Everyone knows pulling those spears is a terrible idea but Shinji. Like in the beginning when nobody would explain anything about what happened after he saved Rei (except Kaworu, kinda) to him. He's just out of the loop and it comes back and bites them in the rear end.

Squallege fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 12, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Much more likely: Kaworu, the Angel of Betrayal, doesn't actually have Shinji's best interests at heart.

"Oh yeah, I live in the basement of your monomaniacal father's Museum of Giant Naked Dead Moms, and consider him the most devious and powerful human being alive, even capable of manipulating and outsmarting me, but all of this devastation? Totally your fault. Now let's get in the robot again."

edit: Making Shinji happy is Kaworu's "be re-united with Yui."

There's also a sort of interesting parallel between Yui's willingness to let the world end as long as Shinji can be happy and Kaworu's... well, willingness to let the world end if Shinji thinks it'll make him happy.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 12, 2014

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
He's not the Angel of Betrayal, he's the Angel of Free Will.

:goonsay:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Speaking of Yui, the flashback/memory shot of her in 3.33 makes her look something look Unit 13. Arms crossed over her chest with red glowing circle things on the back of her hands, just like Unit 13's secondary arms.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

He's both, and if the events of Rebuild are anything to go by, the first is a consequence of the second. :aaaaa:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Much more likely: Kaworu, the Angel of Betrayal, doesn't actually have Shinji's best interests at heart.

"Oh yeah, I live in the basement of your monomaniacal father's Museum of Giant Naked Dead Moms, and consider him the most devious and powerful human being alive, even capable of manipulating and outsmarting me, but all of this devastation? Totally your fault. Now let's get in the robot again."

edit: Making Shinji happy is Kaworu's "be re-united with Yui."

There's also a sort of interesting parallel between Yui's willingness to let the world end as long as Shinji can be happy and Kaworu's... well, willingness to let the world end if Shinji thinks it'll make him happy.

He may not be too far off. Gendo did handle an angel single handed. :v:
https://imgur.com/a/pwnMy#U0XzqGm

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Squallege posted:

He may not be too far off. Gendo did handle an angel single handed. :v:
https://imgur.com/a/pwnMy#U0XzqGm

I'm dying here, what is this from?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Kaworu is a goon.
Evidence:

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW
goatman was here

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 12, 2014

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Hello, goatse, my old friend

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

(SEELE, Fuyutsuki)

I get that there's reason to think that Fuyutsuki isn't involved in Gendo's/Yui's schemes the same way he was originally, but why do we think that Seele wanted anything meaningfully different from want they wanted in the original series, again? You know, before Gendo murdered the poo poo out of them.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Do you think one of the SEELE monolith guys was all "Um, excuse me, excuse me, I have something to say. Um, hi, I'm just wondering, should we really be putting our life support system in each reach of this Gendo guy? I mean, he's not exactly trustworthy..."?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

I get that there's reason to think that Fuyutsuki isn't involved in Gendo's/Yui's schemes the same way he was originally, but why do we think that Seele wanted anything meaningfully different from want they wanted in the original series, again? You know, before Gendo murdered the poo poo out of them.

Mostly because they seemed content to die. Keel Lorenz was the only one in the original series who gave any indication of that, and only by the time of EoE, and even then it's not 100% clear what he meant. Series SEELE is very concerned with their own survival even only taking into account what's said in the show.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Mostly because they seemed content to die. Keel Lorenz was the only one in the original series who gave any indication of that, and only by the time of EoE, and even then it's not 100% clear what he meant. Series SEELE is very concerned with their own survival even only taking into account what's said in the show.

...Oh, yeah, I forgot. At first I thought SEELE was silent when Gendo was pulling the plug on them, but I remember now. Keel or somebody goes "YES INDEED INHERIT OUR WILL PROPHECY RABBLE RABBLE" before he goes, doesn't he? That doesn't really fit in too well with the whole "use Instrumentality of a means of acquiring a godlike soul jar to ride around in for eternity" thing, does it?

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 12, 2014

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

The Eva trip report continues!

11: Not on a good run after the previous hot springs poo poo. This better get better soon. Ok the power is off, that's actually an extremely cool angel ability. Ok black spider legs of death. So it's basically a walking EMP spider. What it wasn't the angel that turned the power off? I didn't really follow there. Asuka is annoying. Haha, gonna flood the base with stomach acid, good plan spider. That was a great action scene even though it was only 1min long. A little surprised that the spider went down to regular gunfire... so it had no AT field and apparently was not what turned off the power... and its only means of doing much of anything is dropping a few drops of acid below it... worst angel ever??
Also did... did the previous writer team get fired? Where did all the lovely fanservice go? I think after I watch this series i will checkout interviews and stuff to see if I can figure out what the hell the deal with the last 4 eps were because drat. It's back to great now.

12: Ok the enemy this time is abstract art from outer space. IDK WTF but I love it. Good show Japan, good show :japan:

13: This ep feels a little slower and darker. Mood is a bit different. HAHAHA THE CORROSION HAS AN A-T FIELD! MIND. BLOWN. Ok wow this is tripping balls, so the 'angel' this time is a selfreplicating superintelligen evolving nanoorganism? Ok :techno: time, let's hack the thing. Ok on the list of childhood traumas, 'My mother's psyche was split in thrice and forged into supercomputers' ranks pretty drat high up there. Did you realize you're hacking your own mom. I feel like there is a lot of potential for yo momma jokes somewhere in this.
Not a single 'action scene' but drat this episode was sooo tense.

14: :10bux: :ughh: :10bux:
Although it was interesting to note that apparently they bothered to re-animate the 'abstract space art' death-explosion even though the rest of the episode is Ctrl-C,Ctrl-V.

15: Drama episode I guess. Ok he is a spy, things have gone political. Interesting that the corrosion, which is by fair the weirdest angel, is also the one that doesn't fit the 'schedule' whatever that is. 'Dead Sea Scrolls', 'Adam', Adam being crucified, i'd think there was depth behind this christianity stuff if I hadn't read the FMA author interview where she said she crucified Greed in that one scene because 'it looked cool'. Nevertheless good show and I am seriously intrigued. Ok humans are growing out of Adam's bottom, so let me guess the plot from here: Adam was the first organism on Earth, created humans, humans captured Adam because humans be humans, now Angels are appearing from somewhere to save Adam. Sounds about right eh, lets see how that holds water... would also explain why Tokyo-3 is the constant target.

16: *plop* hello I am a floating disco ball nice to meet you :stare: Are those closed eyes I spy in that things' design? Ok now we're talking, un-hittable thingamobob with unavoidable shadow attack, can't wait to see future angels, this is bizarre nightmare fuel. Bye bye Shinji! Holy fuuuuck that claustrophobia. Stuck in that thing and ok the liquid he is submerged in smells like blood. Man I would freak the gently caress out if I was in Shinji's seat. Poor kid, holy crap. Ok the Eva is more important than Shinji? I'm quite disgusted that his dad gives some amount of fucks about Rei and the Evas but zero amount of fucks for Shinji. Whoa Asuka you did not just insult and taunt a dying man. Whoa. Oh my god. What is your problem. Ok, Freud time. Ok iiii love this internal monologue, you're afraid of being hurt, you're afraid of the Shinji that exists in others minds. Whoever wrote this has a really good grip on the human psyche.
Exit from the womb, H.R. Giger Alien style. My god. Why did I ever doubt NGE. And why did his mothers soul appear out of nowhere that was trippy. And yes 'what are the evas' that is a very good Q by now.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 13, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Bisse posted:

13: This ep feels a little slower and darker. Mood is a bit different. HAHAHA THE CORROSION HAS AN A-T FIELD! MIND. BLOWN. Ok wow this is tripping balls, so the 'angel' this time is a selfreplicating superintelligen evolving nanoorganism? Ok :techno: time, let's hack the thing. Ok on the list of childhood traumas, 'My mother's psyche was split in thrice and forged into supercomputers' ranks pretty drat high up there. Did you realize you're hacking your own mom. I feel like there is a lot of potential for yo momma jokes somewhere in this.
Not a single 'action scene' but drat this episode was sooo tense.

This is actually one of my favorite episodes from the original series, simply because it's self-contained and you get a lot of insight into Ritsuko, who I think was sadly underutilized as a character.

Bisse posted:

Exit from the womb, H.R. Giger Alien style. My god. Why did I ever doubt NGE. And why did his mothers soul appear out of nowhere that was trippy. And yes 'what are the evas' that is a very good Q by now.

That's not the first time his mother's soul appears. It's just the most obvious manifestation and the first time you get a definite hint that it's her. Think about other times Shinji has hallucinated, where he was and what he was doing at the time, and who appeared in his hallucations. There's a lot to piece together but it's not impossible.

Anyways, that's basically where the "real" Evangelion starts so if you weren't 100% on the early stuff you should be in for a fun ride from here on out. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 14, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Oh and regarding religious imagery in Evangelion: it's not pointless or meaningless, despite what the internet will tell you, but it's probably not meant to be taken in its original context either. The show was inspired by (among many other things) the Aum Shinrikyo sarin gas attacks on Tokyo, and it has a really cynical and distrusting attitude towards -- not even religion, exactly, but towards people who think they have a direct line to the truth.

As such many of the Christian and Kabbalistic symbols have their meaning distorted, sometimes even outright reversed.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

A comment on the Action scene stuff. I like an action scene that tells you a story.

The Ep2 action scene does, it tells you how heavy and clunky and unstable pieces of machinery the evas are.
The Ep3 action scene tells you something about Shinji's mind and what a terrifying goddamn experience it is to pilot an Eva.
The acid spider action scene shows their teamwork and shows a character willing to risk her life for others.
The 'abstract art' action scene tells you what a weird rear end loving enemy they are facing and the kind of rushed decisionmaking and risks they have to take to stand a modicum of a chance.

The ocean fleet battle and the 'Dance like you gotta win' action scenes, however, tell you nothing. They are generic action scenes where 'things happen' and that is all, which is what I haaaate in most modern movies. Scenes like that are pointless wastes of time. E.g. it is what ruined the second Hobbit movie for me. I will give you that they were well-coreographed and animated though.

If you look at the first Die Hard in Nakatomi Plaza, every single action scene is about information exchange. People make uninformed and dumb decisions because they don't have enough information on what is going on. People kill each other to prevent the flow of information in undesirable directions. Those are action scenes with a purpose and which help tell/advance a story.
In Terminator 2 every action scene is about the ruthlessness and behaviour of robots. Every action scene in that movie tells you something about Arnold and the enemy robot. What each of them will and will not do to achieve their goals. You watch a robot gain human traits through the decisions it makes under pressure.

Compare that to uh lets say Superman: Man of Steel where punchmans and punchwomans punch mans and womans because they are good/evil and that is that. That was a dull loving movie.

I consider *shoots beam at corrosion* "*gasp* A-T FIELDO??!?" to be a better 'action scene' than Balette Eva Combat for that reason.

So yeah that is my thought on action scenes in general.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 14, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The blackout episode was unique in that it was drawn by Studio Ghibli. Go back and look at the faces, it's very unnaturally smooth frames.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Dance Like You Want to Win tells you that Asuka and Shinji are capable of coordinating / bonding but won't do it because of a) petty teenage bullshit and b) possibly something deeper that makes both of them unwilling to open up to others. That's arguably more important than any of the other stuff you mentioned. :v:

Spectral
Mar 24, 2013
Something I never understood about the ending of episode 16: what exactly is happening here?

Shinji's mom says hi, young Shinji (symbolising the angel?) presents Yui with this core-like object, then Unit 01 goes nuts.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Mods change my name to A-T FIELDO tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Dance Like You Want to Win tells you that Asuka and Shinji are capable of coordinating / bonding but won't do it because of a) petty teenage bullshit and b) possibly something deeper that makes both of them unwilling to open up to others. That's arguably more important than any of the other stuff you mentioned. :v:
You mean the joke at the end of the action scene, and the rest of the awfully written episode, did that. The (de)synchronization was the point of the entire episode with the dance-mat thingies and the squabbles and the 'coming naked out of shower'/'should i kiss her while she is sleeping' tripe. The action scene itself just shows you what the episode already establised.

But yeah I will give you that if the episode itself was better written maybe I would have gotten something nice like what you stated out of it. As it was though it was *attempt to get my dick raging for teenage girl, the episode* *robo balette* *baakano shinjiii dont kiss me midle of the niiiight~~~*

And don't even get me started on the underwaterbattle stuff. don't touch me theeeeereeee noooo, but we gotta save the world asuka I have to sit in this sexually frustrating position in this cramped space right now.

EDIT: OK i'm done whining about this stuff, those episodes sucked, moving on...

Bisse fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 14, 2014