Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

visceril posted:

Edit 2: we aren't gonna see ToJ through Treevision because there are no wierwoods in the south and it's been that way long before Rhaegar was even born. There's that one island but I think since the trees don't have eyes carved into them bran can't see through them
He already saw a dragon flying over King's Landing. Show-Bran isn't limited to the tree internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

nooneofconsequence posted:

He already saw a dragon flying over King's Landing. Show-Bran isn't limited to the tree internet.

Isn't there a Godswood in King's Landing, though?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Not in the sky.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Kind of a entmoot point since the show can put the virtual camera wherever and it doesn't have to be an actual character's POV.

They're gonna let Bran see whatever the show writers want him to see. They haven't even put the details of how the heart trees are supposed to work in the show yet so they've got free reign to use Bran's visions and Jojen's green dreams for exposition however they see fit.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

kcroy posted:

+ necro since Jojen is dead. Didn't they eat him or something?

edit: it would be awesome if Jojen is Howland Reed, who looks very young!

GRRM just took vore to a whole new level.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Well, I'm too lazy to look up wether or not the trees actually need the faces carved into them to work, but I do remember that Bloodraven can control birds as well--a whole flock at once.

Maybe it's his unique power, maybe it's super sayian warging. We'll see in season 6 I guess.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

I seem to remember Bran being able to tap into every living thing down to blades of grass because his power was so great.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Wow. When you think about it that way, Jaime saved the seven kingdoms TWICE. if Bran's legs weren't broken and he woudlve never had crow visions.

Jaime is TPtwP

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
It's funny that people are just now finding out that George uses a dosbox to write the series when the true vets have been laughing about it for years.

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

Normy posted:

I seem to remember Bran being able to tap into every living thing down to blades of grass because his power was so great.

Wasn't that Eragon? :confused:

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Walking Dad posted:

It's funny that people are just now finding out that George uses a dosbox to write the series when the true vets have been laughing about it for years.

I saw an article tonight on the BBC newsfeed, and it made me want to punch him all over again. loving.dos. why? because he can't turn off auto-correct? allmyrage.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jeffrey posted:

Yeah I don't think Tywin was being coy about a secret whore island, it seemed obviously not an actual single place. Tyrion harping on it was more showing his mood than an actual thing he was looking for.

yeah, he might be looking for his (ex) wife though ( in addition to him being traumatized / drunk / whatever )

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
well yeah that is the implication, but I don't think he expects an answer from anyone. It is the author's way of showing his obsessive thoughts. I don't know how realistic he thinks actually finding her is, but I'm guessing he's not delusional in that sense.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007

kcroy posted:

I saw an article tonight on the BBC newsfeed, and it made me want to punch him all over again. loving.dos. why? because he can't turn off auto-correct? allmyrage.

I figure it's more that he's been working with that program for years and years, why bother changing and learning something new when what you have works just fine? It was probably a pretty up-to-date program when he started writing.

Third
Sep 9, 2004
The most noble title any child can have.

Dr. Platypus posted:

I figure it's more that he's been working with that program for years and years, why bother changing and learning something new when what you have works just fine? It was probably a pretty up-to-date program when he started writing.

It was probably up-to-date when he stopped writing too.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Dr. Platypus posted:

It was probably a pretty up-to-date program when he started writing.

Can you imagine if he was just a little older, though? Le fouquer would be shuffling stacks of punchcards to feed his ENIAC in the house across the street.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

returnh posted:

It was probably up-to-date when he stopped writing too.

:drat:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Can you imagine if he was just a little older, though? Le fouquer would be shuffling stacks of punchcards to feed his ENIAC in the house across the street.

Alan Turing was not prosecuted for homosexuality, but for theorising a machine that would help GRRM write his theoretical books.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Would it help GRRM if he released the next book in serial fashion? He has so many drat POVs and they have such disparate story lines he may as well release them separately now. Plus he's already given us ~1/5 of a book with his sample chapters.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr. Platypus posted:

yeah, still makes me want to punch him. I would somehow be more accepting if he was still writing on typewriter or something - but of all the things to cling to, loving WordStar. Look at this lovely defense of it:

"But Martin's solution seems optimal, especially if you're sitting down to write thousands of pages."

yes, young writers everywhere can take a page from his book on good writing habits...

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

Mike N Eich posted:

Would it help GRRM if he released the next book in serial fashion? He has so many drat POVs and they have such disparate story lines he may as well release them separately now. Plus he's already given us ~1/5 of a book with his sample chapters.

If he just put a new chapter up on kindle or whatever whenever he finished one and compiled them after the fact for a full release, that would still require him to write new chapters. So no dice.

When did they eat Jojen?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

kcroy posted:

yeah, still makes me want to punch him. I would somehow be more accepting if he was still writing on typewriter or something - but of all the things to cling to, loving WordStar. Look at this lovely defense of it:

"But Martin's solution seems optimal, especially if you're sitting down to write thousands of pages."

yes, young writers everywhere can take a page from his book on good writing habits...

What's the issue? He's mastered the keyboard shortcuts, it's disconnected from the Internet to remove distractions. Both of those seem like decent suggestions to young writers.

Iirc, lawyers still cling to wordperfect for the same reason.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The issue is he will only write on his immobile computer. He doesn't write on anything else, so when he's off on convention duty 364 days a year, he doesn't get anything done.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Ron Jeremy posted:

What's the issue? He's mastered the keyboard shortcuts, it's disconnected from the Internet to remove distractions. Both of those seem like decent suggestions to young writers.

Because he could buy a cheap Acer from Costco and just...not connect to the modem. Then he'd have a product someone could actually help him with if it breaks.

He definitely deserves to be punched, for many reasons

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The issue is he will only write on his immobile computer. He doesn't write on anything else, so when he's off on convention duty 364 days a year, he doesn't get anything done.

He also has a cardiac monitor death switch that will slag his computer with thermite if he dies before finishing his magnum gropus.

Okay, I kid. Made that up. There isn't anything to destroy.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Ron Jeremy posted:

What the gently caress would Gurm know about removing distractions.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ron Jeremy posted:

no, it's because all the court documents and templates are in WP, and converting/reformating is an ugly option. So that poo poo just self-propagates.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

He realized writing was distracting him from the NFL.

Tofu Injection posted:

When did they eat Jojen?
In Bran's last ADWD chapter, the Children feed him a red paste that unlocks his green seeing ability; Jojen was last seen before this, having his chronic fits and getting more depressed. It's not a for-sure thing, we'll have to wait for the show to give us a definite answer.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I seriously have trouble discerning in this thread whether you're all being tongue-in-cheek jokey, if if a lot of you genuinely loving hate the author of books you ostensibly enjoy.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

freebooter posted:

I seriously have trouble discerning in this thread whether you're all being tongue-in-cheek jokey, if if a lot of you genuinely loving hate the author of books you ostensibly enjoy.

People are mad. Real mad. Mad about books that will never be written.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

freebooter posted:

I whisper Gurm's name every night before I go to sleep.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

freebooter posted:

Its entirely possible to enjoy something and also recognize that the person who made the thing you enjoy is an rear end in a top hat with poop in his wiener.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

freebooter posted:

What does stockholm syndrome count as?

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
The last page of this thread is really, really funny.

My favorites are the ENIAC in the house across the street, and poop in his weiner.

Thanks.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

freebooter posted:

“Oh, my sweet summer child," The Bad Thread said quietly, "what do you know of hate?

Hate is for the winter, my little lord, when the football comments nest 100 deep and the new wildcard book announcements come howling out of the north.

Hate is for the long night, when GRRM doesn't post about the books on his blog for years at a time, and little children are born and live and die all in darkness without a Tyrion Chapter, and Meanwhile back at the Wall... all is frozen and no single plot progresses.”

well he did stop writing, so he could focus on football, figurines and his theater.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Hate is for the fact that he hasn't released a complete book, with an actually climax/ending in over 14 years.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

It's pretty obvious that Bran is gonna warg into a dragon at some point.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I kinda wonder how the books of other clients of his editor look like. Right now the quality is on a level of late R Jordan WoT books.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ron Jeremy posted:

WP51 has huge penetration (lol) mainly because of formatting and in the case of the people actually typing the poo poo from recordings, a very robust and easy to use keyboard macro system. Also probably like 100% of it is pirated copies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I've decided I am actually okay with HBO stopping production of the show to wait for GRRM. It occurs to me that the whining the show-only people would do would be far more entertaining than watching Dany tornado making GBS threads in a field.