Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live
I have an Evangelion tattoo and I can confirm that is anime is entry level poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Hurry up and watch the rest! I need you to keep doing this so I can reclaim my past! I have to suck your psychic anime essence to feel alive!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Oh god we're going to have a meltdown come EoE. Can't wait :unsmigghh:

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

If it's too painful, Bisse, you can always run away,

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Robotnik Nudes posted:

If it's too painful, Bisse, you can always run away,

We know it's let him down. He's been a fool to himself.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Oxxidation posted:

We know it's let him down. He's been a fool to himself.

Our posting binds again what custom's sword has parted.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Eyyy, I like that Bisse kid, s'got moxie!

Serious give your final report of the two eps and the end of evangelion. Don't do them separately!

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
When the TV series is done, during -that- scene, just imagine they're talking to you, Blisse. You'll deserve it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bisse posted:

What the gently caress is happening I was expecting mad power up not this whatever this is ok it's eating it. This is SO loving WEIRD. :stare: It is... howling like a wolf? This thing is a god drat animal what the fuuuuuck

The howling sound in the Japanese dub is great, for one specific reason: it's actually a slowed-down version of Megumi Hayashibara (Yui's voice actor) screaming. No one can say Anno doesn't pay attention to detail.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Serious give your final report of the two eps and the end of evangelion. Don't do them separately!

I actually disagree with this, I'd give EoE a day or two after the series ending if possible. Gives you time to consider what you saw before it's all overturned (OR IS IT?)

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I actually disagree with this, I'd give EoE a day or two after the series ending if possible. Gives you time to consider what you saw before it's all overturned (OR IS IT?)

Actually yes, you're right.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Vermain posted:

The howling sound in the Japanese dub is great, for one specific reason: it's actually a slowed-down version of Megumi Hayashibara (Yui's voice actor) screaming.

Yeah I like the English dub but that's one of the major things the Japanese one has over it. That howl is loving terrifying.

I never really thought about this while watching the show, but EVA-01 is scary. The show really drives the point home as much as it can that the Evangelions are basically eldritch horrors powered by human souls and kept barely in check by technology. It's interesting how Rebuild completely drops this aspect in favor of just treating them like mecha.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 16, 2014

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Yeah I like the English dub but that's one of the major things the Japanese one has over it. That howl is loving terrifying.

I never really thought about this while watching the show, but EVA-01 is scary. The show really drives the point home as much as it can that the Evangelions are basically eldritch horrors powered by human souls and kept barely in check by technology. It's interesting how Rebuild completely drops this aspect in favor of just treating them like mecha.

Does rebuild do that? I know that having units all the way up to 13 makes the Eva's less special, but...hmm actually yeah 3.33 makes them seem a lot more like standard mechs... Now I'm sad. What was up with the giant Eva unit that had the sears in it though?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Does rebuild do that? I know that having units all the way up to 13 makes the Eva's less special, but...hmm actually yeah 3.33 makes them seem a lot more like standard mechs... Now I'm sad. What was up with the giant Eva unit that had the sears in it though?

That was ___Lillith___

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

That was ___Lillith___

huh, she was all fossilised and more mecha looking than her regular marshmellowy self...wait...wasn't she also on the moon this time round?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Are you referring to the Mark 6? :psyduck:

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

Are you referring to the Mark 6? :psyduck:

Maybe I am...hey what happened to that anyway?!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
That reminds me, what was the name of that goofy nuclear-powered giant robot they tried to replace the Eva with?
Jet Alone...yeah...I wonder why they even bothered sabotaging that clunky thing. It would've just gotten torn apart by the first Angel they tested it on. Didn't even have an A.T. Field. :v:

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

TheFallenEvincar posted:

That reminds me, what was the name of that goofy nuclear-powered giant robot they tried to replace the Eva with?
Jet Alone...yeah...I wonder why they even bothered sabotaging that clunky thing. It would've just gotten torn apart by the first Angel they tested it on. Didn't even have an A.T. Field. :v:

I feel like it was a matter of keeping funding flowing to NERV, and not whatever defense contractor was responsible for the Jet Alone. Could also be making that up.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yes, an Angel tearing apart a nuclear-powered robot is definitely a thing you want to let happen near your headquarters.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Cardboard Box A posted:

Yes, an Angel tearing apart a nuclear-powered robot is definitely a thing you want to let happen near your headquarters.
Yeah but apparently they had no problem potentially triggering a nuclear meltdown with their sabotage. I mean, Misato only barely manages to stop it. :v:
I forget how close the Jet Alone project stuff was to their headquarters though, I guess it could have been a Japanese city far enough from Tokyo 3 for them not to care.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah but apparently they had no problem potentially triggering a nuclear meltdown with their sabotage. I mean, Misato only barely manages to stop it. :v:

Misato didn't stop it, did she? I was under the impression it was cancelled remotely at Gendo's behest. Like, doesn't she board it and try to stop it and at the last possible second everything is mysteriously fixed and cut to Gendo getting off the phone or something?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

Misato didn't stop it, did she? I was under the impression it was cancelled remotely at Gendo's behest. Like, doesn't she board it and try to stop it and at the last possible second everything is mysteriously fixed and cut to Gendo getting off the phone or something?
Oh yeah, you're totally right. That episode is one of the really forgettable ones for me. Alongside the volcano baby angel ep.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Oh yeah, you're totally right. That episode is one of the really forgettable ones for me. Alongside the volcano baby angel ep.

Perhaps it was set up that way to make Misato think she stopped Jet Alone.
And Magmadiver is pretty fun if mainly for the unique music they had for it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Ak Gara posted:

This is as entertaining as tricking people into watching School Days. :shobon:

Wait, does that actually work? How do you get people to sit through boring harem poo poo long enough for it to go off the rails?

(Have I made this exact same post before? I think I have)

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
You havn't in this thread, but maybe in a previous thread. I think we might be posting in circles.

:v:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Perhaps it was set up that way to make Misato think she stopped Jet Alone.
And Magmadiver is pretty fun if mainly for the unique music they had for it.

The way the scene plays out suggests it wouldn't have gone nuclear at all regardless. The fact that she managed to get on board seemed like unintentional icing on the cake for showcasing not only how jet alone is dangerous, but also that Evas/Nerv is the answer to all angel problems.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Near the beginning of the episode there's also some computer stuff or something. Some shot of someone doing something fishy or something like that.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Kind of unrelated to anything, but, well, I saw this over in the Webcomics thread...

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Kind of unrelated to anything, but, well, I saw this over in the Webcomics thread...

Heh.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't get what comic it's referencing but Spongebob as Lilith on a cross that is Patrick is pretty great

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Vermain posted:

The howling sound in the Japanese dub is great, for one specific reason: it's actually a slowed-down version of Megumi Hayashibara (Yui's voice actor) screaming. No one can say Anno doesn't pay attention to detail.

That is a great bit of trivia. Goddamn.

Also loving this goon trip report. I'm gonna echo the recommendation of others - watch 25, 26 and End of Eva all in a row.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Megumi Hayashibara also did a ton of background voices. That radio program playing in the background where a woman complains about how her boyfriend is really looking for a mother? She did that.

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice
Yuko Miyamura (Asuka's voice actor) also did a couple of those. Prominently, she is the host in the radio program that talks about why all seasons have been replaced by summer and why that means golden times for scuba-diving. There is even one scene where she voices a housewife that has a conversation with another housewife played by Megumi Hayashibara.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

That radio program playing in the background where a woman complains about how her boyfriend is really looking for a mother?

This is why I wish I could speak and understand other languages. How many things like this are sitting in the background that I've missed? Probably a million, but I'll never find them for myself.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

dublish posted:

This is why I wish I could speak and understand other languages. How many things like this are sitting in the background that I've missed? Probably a million, but I'll never find them for myself.
The subbed version I saw (ADV, back when anime came to us on $30 DVDs with 3-4 episodes) included it.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

The subbed version I saw (ADV, back when anime came to us on $30 DVDs with 3-4 episodes) included it.

We called those glory days :allears:.

I remember when Virgin Megastore here in the UK was closing down and they were selling anime at 50-75% off. I thought I had found Mecca! I completed so many series(es?) those few months :allears:.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Paracelsus posted:

Evangelion on VHS was two episodes per tape for £15 (about $25) each in the UK.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I remember I had fellowship of the ring on VHS. How did we even fit all that on to tape back then? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

$30 for 2 episodes subtitled.

Bought a dubbed copy of episodes 23 and 24, it was mislabeled and came with the subbed version instead. Felt so smug about the $5 young me saved.