Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
except you're forgetting about towns E and F that insist on the road connecting to them despite being 20 miles out of the way in opposite directions, oh and the speed limit has to drop by 30mph when it goes through town E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Magic Underwear posted:

City A and City D want a roadway built between them and want to split the cost fairly. City B, directly between A and D pleads poverty and won't give any money toward it even though they will get use of the road. What are they going to do, spend extra money just to avoid city B? City C is slightly out of the way but wants the road to detour to them, but they are poor too. City D is willing to put in way more money than anyone else, but only on the condition that the construction of the whole road is done by a company owned by the mayor's brother. The mayor of D also wants to route around B because the mayor of B mistook the mayor of D for a valet at a party 8 years ago. the road is finished 3 years late and severely overbudget, and bypasses B and C entirely, out of spite.

gently caress you for making me write this.

this is why roads are stupid and in the glorious bitcoin future everyone will use trains. nobody ever asks "who will build the tracks?" because the answer is freedom, and they're scared.

also buy your tickets before you get on the train because if your transaction doesn't confirm before you get to your station, you get killed forced into servitude a scammer tag.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

rjmccall posted:

except you're forgetting about towns E and F that insist on the road connecting to them despite being 20 miles out of the way in opposite directions, oh and the speed limit has to drop by 30mph when it goes through town E

also town E's entire income is based on giving out tickets from that sudden speed change

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
fortunately you can shoot everyone in town E for initiating force against your sovereign geo metro

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rjmccall posted:

lol if you think this isn't the standard for local government projects anyway
the current state of planning for californias bullet train project is exactly like this

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Magic Underwear posted:

City A and City D want a roadway built between them and want to split the cost fairly. City B, directly between A and D pleads poverty and won't give any money toward it even though they will get use of the road. What are they going to do, spend extra money just to avoid city B? City C is slightly out of the way but wants the road to detour to them, but they are poor too. City D is willing to put in way more money than anyone else, but only on the condition that the construction of the whole road is done by a company owned by the mayor's brother. The mayor of D also wants to route around B because the mayor of B mistook the mayor of D for a valet at a party 8 years ago. the road is finished 3 years late and severely overbudget, and bypasses B and C entirely, out of spite.

gently caress you for making me write this.

rjmccall posted:

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?
What kind of voluntaryist utopia has mayors anyway?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

FMguru posted:

the current state of planning for californias bullet train project is exactly like this

except cities A-F are all suing to stop the train from being built anyway because reasons

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

rjmccall posted:

i think he was arguing in favor of federal government roadways

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
west coast needs at least 20th century railroad mainlines badly lmbo

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
people just automatically attach a negative stigma to taxes

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
funny thing is californians voted for it

in 2008

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

there's a lawsuit going on right now about how the rail planning is now technically under partial federal jurisdiction, and thus might be exempted from strict local environmental and economic impact laws and i'm in the camp that's all "good, just build the fucker already goddamn"

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

it's not like it's a complex system
• one line going from sd-la-sf, with a junction midway between la and sf
• a spur from somewhere along the northern half of the line to sacramento
• a spur from somewhere along the southern half of the line to vegas

fucker will pay for itself, just loving do it god

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Eegah posted:

funny thing is californians voted for it

in 2008
they might - might - break ground on the first segment of it by 2020. incidentally, the first segment will run from fresno to merced or something like that

funny thing is that the straight line from sf to la is basically all mountains so theyre routing it through the central valley, where it will have to zig and zag and make regular stops in order for them to get the rights of way they need. plus once it gets close to sf it has to slow down as it passes through fancy neighborhoods like palo alto. the whole thing will cost several hundred billion dollars and be no cheaper to travel or take less time than flying or driving

i want a statewide hsr system so badly i can taste it but this thing is a lemon

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

FMguru posted:

they might - might - break ground on the first segment of it by 2020. incidentally, the first segment will run from fresno to merced or something like that

funny thing is that the straight line from sf to la is basically all mountains so theyre routing it through the central valley, where it will have to zig and zag and make regular stops in order for them to get the rights of way they need. plus once it gets close to sf it has to slow down as it passes through fancy neighborhoods like palo alto. the whole thing will cost several hundred billion dollars and be no cheaper to travel or take less time than flying or driving

i want a statewide hsr system so badly i can taste it but this thing is a lemon

gently caress local concerns

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

we should build a giant machine to just bore an enormous undergroudn tunnel underneath all of these nimby fuckos

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

i voted against that poo poo when it was on the ballot

what was the original cost estimate, like 30 billion? did anyone ever believe that

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Linguica posted:

i voted against that poo poo when it was on the ballot

what was the original cost estimate, like 30 billion? did anyone ever believe that

no. i didn't believe it and i still voted for it.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

duTrieux. posted:

we should build a giant machine to just bore an enormous undergroudn tunnel underneath all of these nimby fuckos
just reuse parts of this: http://idlewords.com/2007/04/the_alameda-weehawken_burrito_tunnel.htm

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

exactly, it's not like the technology doesn't exist

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

wrap people up in warm blankets that smell of flour and butter and then load them into pneumatic tubes that get them where they need to go

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

seriously though everybody needs to read all of these words (and there are a lot of them)

quote:

By the time they reach Cleveland the burritos are fully heated through and traveling uphill at about twice the speed of sound. A series of induction coils spaced through central Pennsylvania repeats the magnetic process in reverse, draining momentum from the burritos and turning it into electrical power (though Weehawken residents still recall the great blackout of 2002, when computers running the braking coils shut down and for four hours burritos traced graceful arcs into the East River, glowing like faint red sparks in the night).

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

duTrieux. posted:

don't do this, we tried it in seattle and some surveyor missed a six inch pipe so now the machine's broken and stuck for 18+ months

on the other hand it was digging a cars-only tunnel so maybe it was just karma

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Crust First posted:

also buy your tickets before you get on the train because if your transaction doesn't confirm before you get to your station, you get killed forced into servitude a scammer tag.

i read a book once where gunslinger-librarians ruled the world after an emp war left the world without electricity or computers

in the book the trains ran on human pedaling power and the price of your ticket varied according to how much you pedaled during the ride

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Heavy Zed posted:

What kind of voluntaryist utopia has mayors anyway?

all of them

they're called warlords though

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Thesoro posted:

don't do this, we tried it in seattle and some surveyor missed a six inch pipe so now the machine's broken and stuck for 18+ months

locating pipes after the fact if they weren't properly recorded is a shitshow, even with the tech we have today

coulda just been a lovely surveyor though

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Samurai Quack posted:

locating pipes after the fact if they weren't properly recorded is a shitshow, even with the tech we have today

BLOCKCHAIN

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
high speed rail is pretty much useless at most distances, since you can generally get along just fine slightly slower

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

Samurai Quack posted:

well either way the city and the contractor are pointing fingers at each other and we have an $80 million machine that will cost $125 million to repair and also has dug 1000 feet of a five mile tunnel and will be at least two years behind schedule and also was a lovely idea to begin with even if everything went right

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thesoro posted:

on the other hand it was digging a cars-only tunnel so maybe it was just karma

as an employee of a company that makes nde equipment, i'd like to thank you and all other moron construction companies that damage pipes

:911:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Greyhawk posted:

i read a book once where gunslinger-librarians ruled the world after an emp war left the world without electricity or computers

in the book the trains ran on human pedaling power and the price of your ticket varied according to how much you pedaled during the ride

swoleocracy

errybody got sweet glutes in the future

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
seattle shouldn't have decided to raise its street level up by dumping trash and debris and piling dirt on it in the first place tbh

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Greyhawk posted:

ugh now ive remembered that Revolution was a tv show and now i feel ill

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

hobbesmaster posted:

as an employee of a company that makes nde equipment, i'd like to thank you and all other moron construction companies that damage pipes

:911:
not a damaged pipe, it was some old pipe everyone forgot about

edit: like i'm sure it got damaged when the 60ft diameter boring machine clunked into it but that's not rly the problem

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Adult Sword Owner posted:

ugh now ive remembered that Revolution was a tv show and now i feel ill

theres totally nothing implausible about a virus on a usb drive preventing electricity from working, jeez

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Install Windows posted:

theres totally nothing implausible about a virus on a usb drive preventing electricity from working, jeez

it was actually AI networked nanomachines

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Thesoro posted:

boring machine
i thought these were mostly used to generate your posts

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

FMguru posted:

i thought these were mostly used to generate your posts
shiiiiiiiiiiii

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

wait, I thought the pipe that broke the tunneling machine was from a test bore to make sure that the tunneling machine could operate in that area

• Locked thread