Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ak Gara posted:

At first I thought Michael Bay would be a terrible choice for a live action Eva... But Evangelion was never a show about giant robots fighting, it was about the lives of the people effected by it.

Hideaki Anno is a director who makes total schlock and then hates himself for it and Japan for loving it. So he makes arguably his best show, his magnum opus, which is at the same time also total schlock but grows into a deeper meta-commentary on his particular genre of schlock.

Michael Bay is perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
A live action Eva wouldn't work. You wouldn't get that psychological thriller aspect just right.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Facepalm Ranger posted:

A live action Eva wouldn't work. You wouldn't get that psychological thriller aspect just right.

Making it an exact replica of the TV show wouldn't work but that's a stupid way to do any adaptation.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
That article is bollocks because its source doesn't exist and there currently is no live-action Eva in development because former-ADV is suing Gainax for trying to take the rights back.

That and live-action Eva will be loving atrocious for many reasons.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I don't think I want to watch the US Army defeat all the Angels.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Unrelated to Michael Bay: Is there a clear distinction in Rebuild 3 between Evangelion units with the traditional designation (Eva-01, Eva-02, etc.) and the "Mark" designation (Mark.04A and B, Mark.06, Mark.09)?

The best I can come up with is that the Mark.whatever units are related to the Adams of Second Impact (possibly being derived from a crucified Adams somewhere instead of Lilith?) or to the Angels since Mark.09 is referred as a Vessel of Adams and possibly related to the original Wunder (which is totally biomechanical in some way), Mark.04 is an Angel/Eva hybrid of some sort, and Mark.06 is linked to Kaworu and is also an Angel, but there's no explicit reason that some are numbered differently from others.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Ak Gara posted:

Remember the complaints about the Transformers movies? How it wasn't about the Transformers but instead it was about the humans and so the film sucked balls?

At first I thought Michael Bay would be a terrible choice for a live action Eva... But Evangelion was never a show about giant robots fighting, it was about the lives of the people effected by it.

I think...I think he might just pull it off.

Then they would gently caress it up and make it PG-13 and not 18 rated like they should and gently caress it up like that new Robocop movie.

He'd only film the battles, make all the evas gray, make Pen2 into a giant monster, and make the big nosed Seele guy the only human character just to piss us off. He hates us and wants to crush our dreams.

You ask for proof?

Turtle Lips.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Ak Gara posted:

Then they would gently caress it up and make it PG-13 and not 18 rated like they should and gently caress it up like that new Robocop movie.

...you know there's not really anything super R-rated about Eva until EoE, right? You can get away with a fair bit of gore in a PG-13 as long as it's not human gore.

Also, Michael Bay is a lot smarter than people give him credit for. Transformers is dumb because Transformers is a dumb franchise; Pain and Gain, the first thing he's done in a while that was really a serious movie, kicked a lot of rear end and is probably one of the better black comedies of the last few years.

ninja edit: also turtle-lips wasn't him, Jonathan Liebesman (director of Battle: Los Angeles and Wrath of the Titans) is behind that one.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

BattleCattle posted:

He hates us and wants to crush our dreams.

Just like Anno :3:

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

You can get away with a fair bit of gore in a PG-13 as long as it's not human gore.
The violence and gore involving Eva-03 (which was pre-EoE) would be enough to provoke any competent censor. You can argue that "it's not actually human" but the scenes are clearly meant to evoke sympathy in the viewer by presenting recognizable physiology, pain, and injury. In both versions of the fight, we were treated to reaction shots of the supporting characters staring in slack-jawed horror. It's impossible to pretend that the audience is supposed to interpret the scene as just "giant robot saves the day by punching out a giant monster; both combatants suffer some damage in the fight" (cf. Gypsy Danger v Otachi, which was PG-13) Also, the TV version ends with a human child being mutilated.

Although a world which operated on the "human gore" standard would be kinda neat. Every movie opens with a disclaimer:

quote:

This film is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental. In fact, it doesn't contain any humans at all - the characters may appear human, but they're actually just very well-crafted androids who think that they're human. Therefore any objectionable content involving them is not grounds for censorship. Neener neener. Please enjoy the following ninety minutes of G-rated decapitations and vigorous buttsex.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

US film and television censorship is a political game. It's not even remotely consistent from one movie or show to the next and trying to reverse engineer a set of clear rules used for it is hopeless.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

sniper4625 posted:

I was linked to this: http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/22755/20140522/neon-genesis-evangelion-live-action.htm

Haven't been able to find any more reputable sources confirming, but if true, that's uh...unexpected.

Hey, anybody else remember WETA doing concept Evangelion stuff back around 2003? I'd bet that's where this keeps coming up from.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Wade Wilson posted:

Hey, anybody else remember WETA doing concept Evangelion stuff back around 2003? I'd bet that's where this keeps coming up from.

I remember holding on to the hope that'd come out for the longest time. Had one of the concept pieces as my desktop background and everything.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

My dream-casting for years has been that they get Javier Botet to do mo-cap for any Eva movie, because he actually has the same sort of hosed lanky proportions the evangelions all have. I mean, it'll end up being Serkis because that gently caress always does the high profile stuff, but still.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

GulMadred posted:

The violence and gore involving Eva-03 (which was pre-EoE) would be enough to provoke any competent censor. You can argue that "it's not actually human" but the scenes are clearly meant to evoke sympathy in the viewer by presenting recognizable physiology, pain, and injury. In both versions of the fight, we were treated to reaction shots of the supporting characters staring in slack-jawed horror. It's impossible to pretend that the audience is supposed to interpret the scene as just "giant robot saves the day by punching out a giant monster; both combatants suffer some damage in the fight" (cf. Gypsy Danger v Otachi, which was PG-13) Also, the TV version ends with a human child being mutilated.

I'm actually mostly thinking of stuff like AVP: Alien vs. Predator, which was PG-13 in spite of lots and lots of alien gore (including a facehugger getting cut in half in slow-motion with green blood spurting out of both halves and a xenomorph getting its face torn off with a lengthy focus on the mutilated corpse), and the Transformers movies, which were PG-13 in spite of the robot fights actually being really loving brutal.

Also, the Russian pilots dying in Pacific Rim was pretty gnarly (still PG-13) and Evangelion 1.11 got a PG-13 in spite of Shinji getting briefly boiled alive and rivers of blood spraying out whenever an Angel died.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

US film and television censorship is a political game. It's not even remotely consistent from one movie or show to the next and trying to reverse engineer a set of clear rules used for it is hopeless.

Yeah, the only real consistent rule is that if you're a bigger studio you can get away with more.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ak Gara posted:

Remember the complaints about the Transformers movies? How it wasn't about the Transformers but instead it was about the humans and so the film sucked balls?
Actually, no. I remember those movies sucking in every aspect, though! And the racist little robots from the second one.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

GulMadred posted:

In both versions of the fight, we were treated to reaction shots of the supporting characters staring in slack-jawed horror. It's impossible to pretend that the audience is supposed to interpret the scene as just "giant robot saves the day by punching out a giant monster; both combatants suffer some damage in the fight" (cf. Gypsy Danger v Otachi, which was PG-13) Also, the TV version ends with a human child being mutilated.

Fight Club did a similar thing in which the Narrator beat the hell out of Angel Face and the reaction shots of the crowd were what made it horrible. We only saw brief flashes of the beating but long shots of the grimacing onlookers.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I'm actually mostly thinking of stuff like AVP: Alien vs. Predator, which was PG-13 in spite of lots and lots of alien gore (including a facehugger getting cut in half in slow-motion with green blood spurting out of both halves and a xenomorph getting its face torn off with a lengthy focus on the mutilated corpse), and the Transformers movies, which were PG-13 in spite of the robot fights actually being really loving brutal.

In both cases in AVP, they're distinctly "inhuman" creatures, whereas an Evangelion is both literally and figuratively human. It's rather like how American cartoons in the 90s tended to have robotic foes who would violently explode or leak oil with nary a second glance: they're robots, so it's Okay.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
In that recent Tron movie people died in pretty gruesome ways but I think that got a PG rating. I guess it was okay cause they were made of sparkles :v:

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Zeruel posted:

I don't think I want to watch the US Army defeat all the Angels.

But that would be the beauty of of a live action EVA if it did real justice to the material. All the trailers and previews would make people think it was cgi robot battles and sexy army ladies shoot-kicking angels to death. And then they watch it and its actually EVA that we all know and love with the characters and the horror and the what the gently caress did I just watch? I'd dream of a 3.5 hour monstrosity like apocalypse now where they keep getting jerked between angels and civilian life and you get the real crushing arc, but that's just me. Of course its not real, not happening, never will happen, and is totally impossible to boot.

Ultra violence isn't a problem with ratings for blockbusters these days. They'd have to cut some of the sexual stuff since the pilots are so young. The whole jerking off over an unconscious girl would make it unratable but what studio would greenlight that? But tearing apart a monster and eating it isn't so bad. They would probably just have to make an over the top version they could cut down to show they were making changes.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

LtSmash posted:

Ultra violence isn't a problem with ratings for blockbusters these days. They'd have to cut some of the sexual stuff since the pilots are so young. The whole jerking off over an unconscious girl would make it unratable but what studio would greenlight that?

Only in America. Film it in Japan or France and we'll get the "I'm so hosed up" scene we all want.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

Actually, no. I remember those movies sucking in every aspect, though! And the racist little robots from the second one.

Go read the CinemaD thread on transformers and have your mind blown wide open. Bay is perfect.

Of course, it'll never happen. The live-action Eva will come out sometime after the live action Akira that's spent over a decade not getting made.

EDIT: Unless you count Chronicle as the live-action Akira, which is fair.

Robotnik Nudes fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 31, 2014

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Go read the CinemaD thread on transformers and have your mind blown wide open.

Better yet, dont

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Go read the CinemaD thread on transformers and have your mind blown wide open. Bay is perfect.

Of course, it'll never happen. The live-action Eva will come out sometime after the live action Akira that's spent over a decade not getting made.

EDIT: Unless you count Chronicle as the live-action Akira, which is fair.

And a couple months after Eva Live Action, we'll have Cowboy Bebop with Keanu Reeves as Spike.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

TARDISman posted:

And a couple months after Eva Live Action, we'll have Cowboy Bebop with Keanu Reeves as Spike.

20XX will be a banner year for anime.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

If Duke Nukem DNF eventually got made, anything is possible. :colbert:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

TARDISman posted:

Go Cumberbarch or go home.

Scyantific posted:

Found this on Facebook. Apparently, it's Benedict Cumberbatch as Spike from Cowboy Bebop???

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Can't wait for American Eva to look something like this

I musn't run away... oh

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Scyantific posted:

Dubdersnatch has the look but Spike should sound like a cool apathetic American dude. His voice would be terrible and he isn't "cool".

Robotnik Nudes fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 2, 2014

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

Can't wait for American Eva to look something like this

I musn't run away... oh

I keep trying to read this right-to-left. God damnit.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Scyantific posted:

That's loving appalling.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah that's really bad.

BEARS IN THE BARN
Oct 9, 2004

Valentin posted:

Is there a clear distinction in Rebuild 3 between Evangelion units with the traditional designation (Eva-01, Eva-02, etc.) and the "Mark" designation (Mark.04A and B, Mark.06, Mark.09)?

The best I can come up with is that the Mark.whatever units are related to the Adams of Second Impact (possibly being derived from a crucified Adams somewhere instead of Lilith?) or to the Angels since Mark.09 is referred as a Vessel of Adams and possibly related to the original Wunder (which is totally biomechanical in some way), Mark.04 is an Angel/Eva hybrid of some sort, and Mark.06 is linked to Kaworu and is also an Angel, but there's no explicit reason that some are numbered differently from others.

The Mark.XX designation is given to units under 'ownership' of NERV (technically the NEMESIS SERIES are 04C, which I didn't even know until I just looked it up).

What's interesting is that each MK.XX series has a pretty blatant link to a given unit, MK04 has 'Eva-04' on the back of the space pylon versions insinuating it's partially made of Unit-04 parts, MK09 looks like Unit-00 with a different helmet, MK06 doesn't have any direct link but was built on the moon with Kaworu just sitting on it for a while (some people think given it's similar appearance to Lilith + it's location of construction that it's EoE/Original series Eva-01 that floated into space. I don't.). Each unit is capable of 'angel-like' wizard powers: MK04 mostly just sucks but is classified like an angel from the crew of Wunder, MK06 is classified as the twelfth angel, MK09 is a giant core and capable of going all sparkly before getting blown up. Both 06 and 09 are strongly alluded to be surviving Adams or Vessels.

Eva-13 makes no loving sense though. It's referred to as a surviving Adams and as simply 'Evangelion 13', no unit or mark title. My guess is nearly nothing in 3.0 will be answered in Final, save for maybe a buildup between Gendou and Yui motives which are only hinted at in 3.0.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

If 4.0/Final is it's own movie entirely with nothing to do following 3.33 thus giving no resolution, I'd laugh so loving hard.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

BEARS IN THE BARN posted:

The Mark.XX designation is given to units under 'ownership' of NERV
Reasonable, but too easy. This thread needs more epileptic trees. Therefore, let's try to connect the Mark.XX designations (which are arbitrary as hell) to :siren: Bible chapters :siren:. I don't know why we're using spoiler tags for a 2012 release, but I guess I'll follow suit. If someone can confirm that it's not necessary then I'll happily edit them out.

------------------------------------------------

The thematic role of the Evangelions has shifted in Rebuild - they're all about manifestation of individual will. The Nemesis series (Mark.04) is an early suggestion of this fact - they have life and power, yet they are utterly obedient to Gendo's purpose (even to the point of serving as cannon-fodder). They stalk his enemies and guard his possessions, but they have no part to play in any instrumentality scenario. They lack the element of aspiration or "hope" which was present in the TV series Evangelions. They do not reflect an alternative path of human evolution, but rather a dystopian future of gene splicing, cloning vats, cyborg bodies, and thought-control.

Mark 4 includes the parable of the sower. The seed holds the secret of eternal life, yet its fruition is not guaranteed. We are told of three reasons why the crop might fail. There are three subtypes of Nemesis units. Jesus told the parable rather than speaking plainly, because he did not intend his message to be understood by the uninitiated. The Nemesis series is a corruption of the original nature and purpose of the Evangelion program (which is visually reinforced by their chimeric appearance), but this fact is not immediately obvious to the audience (who perceive them as incomprehensible monsters). In Jesus' parable, the fault for the failed crop lies not with the seed itself, but with the sower (who has a duty to cast the seed into fertile ground). TV Gendo showed concern for Unit-01 (for obvious reasons); Rebuild Gendo has much greater power to create life yet treats it with less respect. Even when he brings an artificial god into the world, it is always a means-to-an-end rather than an end-in-itself.

Mark.06 is clearly superior to its prototype, test-type, and production-type brethren. It appears in a deus ex machina moment and effortlessly resolves the crisis. It is indifferent to mundane concerns (e.g. "Umbilical cable? Bitch, I just flew here from the moon under my own power."), its capabilities outclass anything that came before, and its pilot is privy to many secrets. At this point in the story, Nerv had zero combat-ready Eva units and was facing probable tangification in Near Third Impact. They ought to have welcomed Mark.06 as a the answer to their prayers. Mark.06, for its part, had reached its proper place - the focal point of the Angel war and of the various plans for the future of humanity. It ought to have remained there, in the spotlight, and played a major role in subsequent events.

Mark 6 tells us of the story of Jesus' return to Nazareth. He brings a new message and seeks to teach, yet the people doubt his lessons, cast suspicion upon his origins, and even accuse him of blasphemy. In the TV series, Nerv personnel feared Kaworu's otherness and suspected that he was an instrument of Seele's plots. Gendo and Fuyutsuki expressed surprise at the unusual construction techniques used on the Mark.06. Jesus' message is rejected and he is disparaged: “A prophet is not without honor, save in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house.” Mark.06 is not shown to play any role in actually fighting angels; Kaworu explains that its service to the Lilim left it degraded and ruined. Jesus' mission to his people did not bring about an immediate spiritual revival; this work was passed onto his disciples and their successors. Mark.06 holds the Twelfth Angel within itself for fourteen years; neither Mark.06 nor Kaworu play an active role in the apotheosis of Eva-13.

In the TV series, Adam had a major role in the world (e.g. Second Impact) but only an indirect role in driving onscreen events. Lilith was similarly relegated to the background - she had enormous power, but that power needed to be brought into play and guided by the actions of human beings (e.g. defeating angels, gathering artifacts, conspiracizing, and Shinji's decisive role in Instrumentality).

Rebuild 3 changes this - the Angel War is no longer a proxy war between two ostensibly-uninvolved superpowers. The Adams are active participants in the world and their powers can overwhelm anything created by the hands of men. They retain the outward appearance of human artifacts (Evangelion units) but they demonstrate their true nature at climactic moments.

Mark 9 includes the story of the transfiguration. Jesus' divine nature has previously been indicated by miracles and his fulfillment of prophecy. He is attended by disciples who attest to his nature. But such signs are not universally recognized, and many remain in doubt. Mark.09 displays some weird capabilities (e.g. pulling a rocket booster out of its rear end) but the audience is still disoriented by the timeskip - maybe it's just new technology? Mari calls it an Adams vessel, but she's an unwelcome Mary Sue so we can redirect her output straight to /dev/null amirite? Jesus ascends a mountain, shines with divine radiance, is joined by heavenly figures, and the voice of God declares that poo poo Just Got Real.Mark.09 ascends into the sky alongside Eva-13. Admittedly, it plays a complementary role rather than a central one, but its nature is clearly and unambiguously demonstrated. The crew of the AAA Wunder are certainly left without any doubts as to the character of their opponent. The transfiguration of Jesus is not the end of his story. He returns to the world of men and resumes the life of a prophet. He must live and die as a man and then be reborn. Mark.09 gets killed by Eva-02' ... oops. Maybe the biblical parallel thing doesn't work out perfectly. Then again, perhaps we'll get some kind of Mark.16 in the fourth movie.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Ak Gara posted:

If 4.0/Final is it's own movie entirely with nothing to do following 3.33 thus giving no resolution, I'd laugh so loving hard.

You know, I thought Half-Life 3 was the Thing That's Never Going to Happen that I wanted. I was wrong. It is this.

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice

Ak Gara posted:

What I want to see is 4.0 actually continuing the story, but then suddenly the action comes to a screeching halt, and the animation rapidly starts degenerating, first turning into still images, then production stretches, and finally just pictures of the manuscript, before cutting to Shinji standing in a featureless, dark room holding that manuscript as he says: "I get it, this is also a possible world. One possibility that's in me."

The rest of the film then plays out exactly like the last part of Episode 26, except it is in HD.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

With co Director Don Hertzfeldt? I'd buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEARS IN THE BARN
Oct 9, 2004

Utritum posted:

What I want to see is 4.0 actually continuing the story, but then suddenly the action comes to a screeching halt, and the animation rapidly starts degenerating, first turning into still images, then production stretches, and finally just pictures of the manuscript, before cutting to Shinji standing in a featureless, dark room holding that manuscript as he says: "I get it, this is also a possible world. One possibility that's in me."

The rest of the film then plays out exactly like the last part of Episode 26, except it is in HD.

I have a stern requirement of 4.0: It must have live action, and it also must have a shot of a theater audience.