Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

mastajake posted:

ASoIaF Book 8: Turns out, everyone's a Targaryon!

Ya that'd be too many Targs. Needs to be Aegon, Dany and Jon. 3 heads, 3 people. Jon wins it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

mastajake posted:

I guess I need to re-read the books. I thought Victarion (the whole ironborn plot, really) was lame. And that definitely seems to be in the minority.

I was with you on this, but I may have just been getting tired of new plots after working through the books pretty rapidly. It might be different when you had to wait several generations for a new book to be written.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The secretest Targ was you, all along!

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The secretest Targ was you, all along!

I knew my mother was having an affair with that ethereally pretty silver-blonde guy!

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cornwind Evil posted:

it was pointed out that I'd misread the flashback prophecy scene and that Cersei had murdered her own best friend as a child, it vanished.

wait whut now? I'm too lazy to dig up my books - give me the 411?

InFlames235 posted:

Victarion, on the other hand, has what looks like a pretty drat important quest and has had multiple POV chapters. We also know that Book 6 has more Victarion in it as well with his surprise attack on the cities in Slavers Bay. Just seems too important (and bad rear end) to get rid of.

It is pretty bad rear end and all, but what does he actually contribute to the plot? In the books he brings the Horn from old valyria, which I assume matters in controlling the dragons, but there are plenty of ways they could write that poo poo in. They have a limited number of episodes to tell a rapidly expanding story. To me it seems like cutting the gently caress out of new characters is the only way for them to go.

PS: What ever happened to the loving Horn of Joramum. Remembered when that, and dragonglass, like.. mattered? Is that old horn that mance found actually a dragon controlling horn?

PPS: In the book - whatever happened to the fuckers at craster's keep?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

InFlames235 posted:

Ya that'd be too many Targs. Needs to be Aegon, Dany and Jon. 3 heads, 3 people. Jon wins it all.

gently caress Aegon. Hope he dies.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

kcroy posted:

Coldhands kills them

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

InFlames235 posted:

Coldhands kills them

for serious?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

kcroy posted:

wait whut now? I'm too lazy to dig up my books - give me the 411?

It is pretty bad rear end and all, but what does he actually contribute to the plot? In the books he brings the Horn from old valyria, which I assume matters in controlling the dragons, but there are plenty of ways they could write that poo poo in. They have a limited number of episodes to tell a rapidly expanding story. To me it seems like cutting the gently caress out of new characters is the only way for them to go.

PS: What ever happened to the loving Horn of Joramum. Remembered when that, and dragonglass, like.. mattered? Is that old horn that mance found actually a dragon controlling horn?

cersei remembers going to see robbs wifes grandmother something spicer , from somepalce in essos. she is a fortune teller. she tells cersei and her friend some thngs, one of them being that all of her kids will die before her and she wont have any children by robert. then she pushes her friend down a well because she thinks that no one knowing about the prophecy means it wont come true.

the horn that mance found wasnt the horn of joramun, probably. but maybe its the one sam/jon found. or maybe its the one that gets blown inside of winterfell.

i think summer and coldhands and meera killed the mutineers? i know coldhands fed them to meera and jojen and bran

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

jsoh posted:

cersei remembers going to see robbs wifes grandmother something spicer , from somepalce in essos. she is a fortune teller. she tells cersei and her friend some thngs, one of them being that all of her kids will die before her and she wont have any children by robert. then she pushes her friend down a well because she thinks that no one knowing about the prophecy means it wont come true.

the horn that mance found wasnt the horn of joramun, probably. but maybe its the one sam/jon found. or maybe its the one that gets blown inside of winterfell.

i think summer and coldhands and meera killed the mutineers? i know coldhands fed them to meera and jojen and bran

I forgot about that top part.. I didn't realize Cersei killed her. Or maybe I forgot.

What does this mean
"the one that gets blown inside of winterfell"

I definitely didn't get the part about coldhands and them feeding them to meera/jojen/bran... For some reason - I was able to reread and enjoy the other books, but I only gave ADWD a quick read through.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

during "a ghost in winterfell" there is a sounding of a horn, twice, as well as drumming. the drumming is definitely from outside but the horn maybe isnt. mance is in the castle at this point and may be in the crypts, looking about for magical artefacts from the kings of winter. the horn that is blown is blown twice, signalling wildlings maybe. maybe not? speculation!

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

kcroy posted:

I forgot about that top part.. I didn't realize Cersei killed her. Or maybe I forgot.

You didn't forget, nowhere it is said that Cersei killed her. It's implied but so vaguely that most people miss it I suppose (or at least I did).

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

doesn't she like, explicitly remember thinking about how if no one ever talks about a prophecy it never comes true, and then it goes right to her friend at the bottom of a well

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
when does sersí go explore swamps

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
I originally read the scene as Cersei hearing her fortune and her friends' (and that her friend would soon die) and when her friend died, she felt trapped by the prophecy that the only way she'd ever be anything is by being a piece of meat to be passed around, and that eventually made her so drat embittered that she ended up sociopathic because of it. But as said, it is very much implied Cersei pushed her friend into the well herself. I always read it as one of two ways.

1) She was jealous that her friend wanted Jaime, and hence committed murder when she was what...ten years old?

2) She WANTED the prophecy to come true, wanting the power that came with it without thinking of the aftermath (a younger queen will cast you down, you will outlive your children, you will be strangled by a brother in some form), and hence she murdered her friend to ensure its passing. Which means she was willing to kill her own best friend, as a child, for power.

The woman's a soulless monster. Littlefinger got twisted into the villain he is, Gregor is a genetic freak with likely far, FAR too much testosterone and who knows what was causing his headaches. Tywin watched his father's kindness be abused to the point where he cut himself off from anything resembling empathy, Joffrey was raised by a delusional selfish father and a monstrous mother who just wanted him as an avatar for power, along with no consequences, and who knows what genetic damage the incest caused that made him more prone to what he came. If Dany ends up the villain, she has the same incest-based mental risks, she was forced into great hardship at a young age, she was sold to a man who may have more or less raped her into Stockholm syndrome, she had her attempts to help thrown back in her face as not enough, she was handed incredible power, and then she set out to try and right wrongs only to find the wrongs were so systematically ingrained in the civilizations she was passing through she might as well have been trying to bail out the oceans with a bucket, and she's not even twenty years old, hell in the books she's not even sixteen. But Cersei had no demons, no abuses, no troubles. She was in the best position possible, and yet she was still so screwed up she murdered her own best friend as a child.

Some people are just born bad. GRRM's very nasty point is that everyone assumes it of Tyrion, the ugly dwarf, and hence get hosed over because it's really the golden child and beauty.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 11:16 on May 29, 2014

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

well, she was raised by that father who had no empathy, and lost her mother very young, and also had that same incest filled ancestry (tywin and joanna were first cousin) as well as being raped over and over and over and over and over for 16 years.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people
Try not to forget that the stupid girl said she wanted Jaime that same night, where Cersei could hear her.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

jsoh posted:

well, she was raised by that father who had no empathy, and lost her mother very young, and also had that same incest filled ancestry (tywin and joanna were first cousin) as well as being raped over and over and over and over and over for 16 years.

If the rape you are referring to is Robert, that started when she was an adult, or at least in her late teens. One could argue that it was the immense pressures and troubles that Viserys and Dany were raised under that led to their incest-based birth issues kicking off (Rhaegar, after all, seemed nearly perfect, and even Aegon took time to become the mad king), or in Dany's case, possibly ticking beneath the surface ready to explode. And yes, Tywin's heartlessness and the loss of their mother would have left their mask on Cersei, but Jaime was exposed to the same and he didn't turn out that way. It's been suggested that due to how brains develop, children are innately sociopathic until their minds have grown enough to grasp the concept of empathy. It is very very rare, despite this, for children to commit murder.

I think true 'bad seeds', in fiction and in real life, are very, VERY rare, but they exist, and Cersei is one.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Cornwind Evil posted:

If the rape you are referring to is Robert, that started when she was an adult, or at least in her late teens. One could argue that it was the immense pressures and troubles that Viserys and Dany were raised under that led to their incest-based birth issues kicking off (Rhaegar, after all, seemed nearly perfect, and even Aegon took time to become the mad king), or in Dany's case, possibly ticking beneath the surface ready to explode. And yes, Tywin's heartlessness and the loss of their mother would have left their mask on Cersei, but Jaime was exposed to the same and he didn't turn out that way. It's been suggested that due to how brains develop, children are innately sociopathic until their minds have grown enough to grasp the concept of empathy. It is very very rare, despite this, for children to commit murder.

I think true 'bad seeds', in fiction and in real life, are very, VERY rare, but they exist, and Cersei is one.

Cersei does not exist as anything other than the adult she is after Robert dies. Everything we know from before that is her internal monologue, coloured by her experiences. Obviously her killing her friend was pretty lovely tho!

jsoh fucked around with this message at 12:28 on May 29, 2014

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

whowhatwhere posted:

I knew my mother was having an affair with that ethereally pretty silver-blonde guy!

Is your mom's name... JENOVA?

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

jsoh posted:

Cersei does not exist as anything other than the adult she is after Robert dies. Everything we know from before that is her internal monologue, coloured by her experiences. Obviously her killing her friend was pretty lovely tho!

I think it's both. We're suppose to feel sympathy for the dreams she had vs the reality of being married to Robert as a mirror to Sansa's own journey. But through the story of murdering her friend when she's a teenager (still full of these hopes and dreams not yet crushed) we can see that the brutality precedes that.

But really I think the defining moment we learn she has been awful for a very long time is Oberyn telling the story of his visit to Casterly Rock. Here is a Cersei who has not lived years under the rule of an emotionally disconnected father. Yes she's grieving for her mother, but so is Jaime, and he doesn't feel the need to torture his infant brother.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Capital letters are an affront to the bad thread and I feel guilty using them.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

jsoh posted:

First-cousin marriage being taboo is a pretty recent thing and it's still legal almost everywhere outside China and about half the states in the USA [/GeorgeMichaelBluth]

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It takes repeated generations of inbreeding to have a real effect - one generation won't do anything - but I wouldn't be surprised if the high houses had managed to set up quite a narrow gene pool between them by this point.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Little Kielbasa posted:

First-cousin marriage being taboo is a pretty recent thing and it's still legal almost everywhere outside China and about half the states in the USA [/GeorgeMichaelBluth]

We had the signatures to put the bill through but...

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Cornwind Evil posted:

I like how you're all "Life experiences and/or genetics explain why all these characters are awful people, but Cersei is just evil for no reason."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Tender Bender posted:

I like how you're all "Life experiences and/or genetics explain why all these characters are awful people, but Cersei is just evil for no reason."

She was raised by Tywin, one of the evillest assholes in the Seven Kingdoms. Jaime got screwed up, Tyrion got screwed up and Cersei got screwed up, all in different ways, because their father is an evil rear end in a top hat.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

MikeJF posted:

It takes repeated generations of inbreeding to have a real effect - one generation won't do anything - but I wouldn't be surprised if the high houses had managed to set up quite a narrow gene pool between them by this point.

Well, I don't know about that so much. Consider that there's only been a Seven Kingdoms for three hundred years by this point. Before that, the Houses probably married within their zones, with the occasional marriage to someone from another kingdom. And even then, it probably depends on the family. The Martells don't seem to give a poo poo about who they gently caress, while the Lannisters seem prissy enough to only marry within their strata.

Things may have actually gotten better in that regard since the Targaryens set up shop, frankly.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

kcroy posted:

for serious?

Bran (as Summer) finds some of the bodies and eats some meat (I can't remember if it was some of the deserters or just Craster's meat). When Bran asks Coldhands why he killed them, Coldhands says something like "They were foes".

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
IIRC (but I've been wrong almost every single time with trying to remember something from this series), Coldhands also offers them meat one night by the campfire, and since they're starving they don't ask questions but it's heavily implied the characters know it's human meat

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Yeah Cersei's a lovely person, no doubt, but I did start feeling kind of bad for her in a "whoa she's actually mentally hosed up pretty bad, no wonder she can't make any non-crazy decisions ever instead of completely terrible ones all the time" sort of way. It doesn't excuse her horrible behavior or anything but it does give her an element of humanity instead of just being a Saturday morning cartoon villain like Ramsay.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Jeffrey posted:

Capital letters are an affront to the bad thread and I feel guilty using them.

It's insanely hosed up

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
People ITT talking about real life genetics, please stop. GURM has established his own retarded rules of genetics. The fact that it was literally impossible for Robert Baratheon to have a child with light hair was a huge plot point. Real genetics talk can :getout:

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Traxus IV posted:

Yeah Cersei's a lovely person, no doubt, but I did start feeling kind of bad for her in a "whoa she's actually mentally hosed up pretty bad, no wonder she can't make any non-crazy decisions ever instead of completely terrible ones all the time" sort of way. It doesn't excuse her horrible behavior or anything but it does give her an element of humanity instead of just being a Saturday morning cartoon villain like Ramsay.

I felt bad for her in the moment when she was being mentally tortured by the nuns, or doing her walk o shame, but when I stop to think about how she's done literal Hitler-like things such as delivering people to an evil scientist to be vivisected, tortured and experimented on, and has not felt a moment's guilt or empathy for her victims' suffering, then I think she's beyond any type of sympathy or consideration of her background/upbringing like I would with some other characters.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

mkay0 posted:

People ITT talking about real life genetics, please stop. GURM has established his own retarded rules of genetics. The fact that it was literally impossible for Robert Baratheon to have a child with light hair was a huge plot point. Real genetics talk can :getout:

I like to think that bastards really are biologically predisposed to be shitheels in Gurm's world.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
GURM really does hold some weird biologically essentialist beliefs, like that Ramsay is a complete monster at least partially because he's the product of a rape.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

savinhill posted:

I felt bad for her in the moment when she was being mentally tortured by the nuns, or doing her walk o shame, but when I stop to think about how she's done literal Hitler-like things such as delivering people to an evil scientist to be vivisected, tortured and experimented on, and has not felt a moment's guilt or empathy for her victims' suffering, then I think she's beyond any type of sympathy or consideration of her background/upbringing like I would with some other characters.

Like, yeah Cersei can't be the next Theon or Jaime, but you still feel something for her. A part of you can relate to her character. Hopefully, you can't relate to Ramsay the same way.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mike N Eich posted:

GURM really does hold some weird biologically essentialist beliefs, like that Ramsay is a complete monster at least partially because he's the product of a rape.

It could go either way since knowing you were a product of rape, as well as a bastard could influence your behavior but I say always assume the worst when an absolute fucker is involved.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I never quite understood how the Hound felt about the Stark sisters. For example, the scene after the battle of Blackwater. He got no romantic bone in him, doesn't he? No self delusions at all - he knows he's (seen as) a monster. So why does he ask Sansa if she'll come with him? (Not to speak of him kissing or not kissing her.)
I also never was sure if he protected Sansa from Joffrey out of spite for Joffrey's cruelty (perhaps because it reminds him of his brother?), or because he specifically likes Sansa.

And besides for his claims, he seems to care about Arya in some way, besides for the ransom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
He was drunk as hell and figured she might have been scared enough to want to get out with a guy who would ensure she wasn't raped or killed by Cersei.