Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014
Something is very wrong here, could this be the machinations of Chaos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Doesn't matter, get it while you still can before they quadruple the price!

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Just read Yarrick: Imperial Creed and it's a really solid book. Pretty insightful book into the early career of Yarrick and the way it was told was pretty engaging

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

There's a new Night Lords HH novel avail now in eBook form called "Prince of Crows" written by ADB!

With this and the soonish release of the Night Lords Omnibus paper back it's starting to look like I'l be having a very Night Lords summer.

KramFoot
Sep 25, 2011
Prince of Crows was a story in the Shadows of Treachery novel, the new cover for it looks awesome though.
Oh also Nick Kyme just mentioned on his blog that he's writing a sequel to Vulkan Lives. or at least planning it out. I don't know whether to be happy or afraid right now.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

KramFoot posted:

Prince of Crows was a story in the Shadows of Treachery novel, the new cover for it looks awesome though.

Sorry I should have said novella and not novel. Also I still haven't read Shadows of Treachery but it looks like I have a good excuse to now.

KramFoot
Sep 25, 2011
Shadows of treachery also has The Crimson Fist novella in it as well so if you can find a copy or ebook it you're sorted

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

KramFoot posted:

Oh also Nick Kyme just mentioned on his blog that he's writing a sequel to Vulkan Lives. or at least planning it out. I don't know whether to be happy or afraid right now.

Board up the windows and hide the women and children.

KramFoot
Sep 25, 2011
No-one is safe. The only option is exterminatus. Or hopefully it's a actually decent story- unless it ends up being a direct sequel to UE... In which case prepare for emo kurze and all sorts of blandly described escapades! Anyways, just started Vengeful Spirit and Loken is in it? When did this happen? Feel like I've missed a story somewhere.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

KramFoot posted:

When did this happen? Feel like I've missed a story somewhere.

Audiobooks, apparently the same as just about all the Death Guard material in HH outside Flight of the Eisenstein.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Vulkan during Unremembered Empire spoilers or something?

I'm pretty sure I'm thinking of Unremembered Empire, why was Vulkan so insane during the parts he appeared? I picked up the book in-store and started reading at some random point and it was basically Vulkan being crazy.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Vulkan during Unremembered Empire spoilers or something?

I'm pretty sure I'm thinking of Unremembered Empire, why was Vulkan so insane during the parts he appeared? I picked up the book in-store and started reading at some random point and it was basically Vulkan being crazy.

They tortured him out of his mind while trying to find ways to kill him.

Vulkan is 100% immortal, you see.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
In Unremembered Empire didn't Vulkan get permakilled by grammaticus with the fulgurite spear? Also didn't one of the Eldar basically tell Grammaticus "This might cure his insanity, if you use the one thing that kills a perpetual on him"

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

UberJumper posted:

In Unremembered Empire didn't Vulkan get permakilled by grammaticus with the fulgurite spear? Also didn't one of the Eldar basically tell Grammaticus "This might cure his insanity, if you use the one thing that kills a perpetual on him"

No, he's fine. There was a heartbeat at the end.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion

UberJumper posted:

It would have killed him if a being with nothing but murder in his heart used it on him. John instead realized he could use it to cure Vulkan, but at the cost of his own immortality. John killed himself to try and save Vulkan. But the act is what put Vulkan into a coma.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

wiegieman posted:

No, he's fine. There was a heartbeat at the end.

EyeRChris posted:

It would have killed him if a being with nothing but murder in his heart used it on him. John instead realized he could use it to cure Vulkan, but at the cost of his own immortality. John killed himself to try and save Vulkan. But the act is what put Vulkan into a coma.

It says the heartbeat was wishful thinking on the part of the mourning Salamander

Shroud
May 11, 2009
We know he does stuff after the Heresy, so we know he'll live (unless they retcon).

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Fried Chicken posted:

It says the heartbeat was wishful thinking on the part of the mourning Salamander

That was what i thought, even all the other primarchs consider him dead.

Shroud posted:

We know he does stuff after the Heresy, so we know he'll live (unless they retcon).

I really really do not want Vuklan to magically pop back to life, that would just be silly.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

UberJumper posted:

That was what i thought, even all the other primarchs consider him dead.

I really really do not want Vuklan to magically pop back to life, that would just be silly.

Well, I hate to break it to you, but the fluff has Vulkan leading the Salamanders until well after the Heresy before eventually vanishing into the Eye of Terror the way Russ and Corax do. So he's going to come back, John did heal him, but not in time to intervene on Terra, because historically the Salamanders weren't there.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

jng2058 posted:

Well, I hate to break it to you, but the fluff has Vulkan leading the Salamanders until well after the Heresy before eventually vanishing into the Eye of Terror the way Russ and Corax do. So he's going to come back, John did heal him, but not in time to intervene on Terra, because historically the Salamanders weren't there.

Kyme's afterward mentions the possibility of a regular marine donning vulkan's equipment and fulfilling the role prior fluff put on Vulkan.

They can do what ever, same as Fulgrim's fall/fate has bounced around, but as of now Vulkan is D.E.D. Dead

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Fried Chicken posted:

Kyme's afterward mentions the possibility of a regular marine donning vulkan's equipment and fulfilling the role prior fluff put on Vulkan.

They can do what ever, same as Fulgrim's fall/fate has bounced around, but as of now Vulkan is D.E.D. Dead

I'm tellin ya guys, when it comes to the Salamanders, Nick Kyme has gone mad with power.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fried Chicken posted:

According to White Dwarf, Vulkan may be alive in 40k but in stasis as an exhibit in a Necron museum.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Anyone checked out Templar? It's a new audio drama by John French, so it should be at least decent.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cythereal posted:

According to White Dwarf, Vulkan may be alive in 40k but in stasis as an exhibit in a Necron museum.

Well that could be basically anybody in Trazyns vaults. It's just a big dude in baroque armor. That's pretty much the extent of his description.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
If he's dead, the Salamanders are going to be awfully disappointed when He'stan finally gets the final relic, The Unbound Flame, and opens it up.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
They find the Unbound Flame and inside is Vulkan's skeleton, giving a thumbs up while wearing cool sunglasses.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

They find the Unbound Flame and inside is Vulkan's skeleton, giving a thumbs up while wearing cool sunglasses.

I want this to be true so so badly.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So we know Russ just stopped in the middle of a speech and said basically "I have to go, my planet needs me" and rushed off into the Eye of Terror. Why did Corax and Vulkan decide it was better to personally go there than to lead their armies?

Also,

Improbable Lobster posted:

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Corax basically went into a doom spiral after the Alpha Legion sabotaged the whatever-the-uber-marines-were-called and having to personally execute those that were left after fending off the Alpha Legion. After a bit (this is all from memory so I've probably missed a few details) he ripped off the famous Tennyson quote "nevermore" and flew off into the Eye of Terror without so much as a by-your-leave.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Serpentis posted:

Corax basically went into a doom spiral after the Alpha Legion sabotaged the whatever-the-uber-marines-were-called and having to personally execute those that were left after fending off the Alpha Legion. After a bit (this is all from memory so I've probably missed a few details) he ripped off the famous Tennyson quote "nevermore" and flew off into the Eye of Terror without so much as a by-your-leave.

Tennyson?

Edgar Allen Poe! From the Bloofy "Raven" poem! Have you never watched the simspons dammit?

Shroud
May 11, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

Well that could be basically anybody in Trazyns vaults. It's just a big dude in baroque armor. That's pretty much the extent of his description.

True. I'm not sure people remember that baroque means to be excessively decorated. It could be a chapter master, champion, or even a Custodes. My bet's on either Azkaellon or Raldoron, though.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Tennyson?

Edgar Allen Poe! From the Bloody "Raven" poem! Have you never watched the simspons dammit?

...whoops. In all fairness, they're both from the same era! (And no, never did).

More on topic, I actually found the Corax and the Raven Guard fairly well portrayed in the HH books so far (I've only gotten to The Primarchs at this point). I certainly thought it was done a bit better than poor old Ferrus Manus in Fulgrim/Feat of Iron.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Nephilm posted:

They tortured him out of his mind while trying to find ways to kill him.

Vulkan is 100% immortal, you see.

Vulkan Lives

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Shroud posted:

True. I'm not sure people remember that baroque means to be excessively decorated. It could be a chapter master, champion, or even a Custodes. My bet's on either Azkaellon or Raldoron, though.

Well, there is a story in Xenos Hunters where Trazyn captures a Blood Angel acting in a Deathwatch capacity, so that could be the SM in baroque armor. Or he could have a stash of a few dozen Marines. Not sure where you're getting Azkaellon or Raldoron from, though. Azkaellon is a chapter relic who never decomposes and Raldoron was a chapter master after Sanguinius died.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Let's be honest, Trazyn probably has a bunch of Space Marines in his vaults, probably posed fighting some CSM or other enemies. If they're lucky, they're in stasis or it's just bones within posed power armor. If they're unlucky, they're just dosed with massive amounts of paralytics.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

Not sure where you're getting Azkaellon or Raldoron from, though. Azkaellon is a chapter relic who never decomposes and Raldoron was a chapter master after Sanguinius died.

Conspiracy option: that's not actually Azkaellon's body.

Also, I didn't realize there were official records of their deaths, my bad.

I figured the Blood Angels were the most "artistic" of the Astartes, although the Emperor's Children could fit the bill as well...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Shroud posted:

Conspiracy option: that's not actually Azkaellon's body.

Also, I didn't realize there were official records of their deaths, my bad.

I figured the Blood Angels were the most "artistic" of the Astartes, although the Emperor's Children could fit the bill as well...
No biggie - I'm not as up one the lore as I used to be and I was wondering if I had missed something along the way.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Speaking of Vulkan and his armor, apparently he is the next Primarch to be out

Pictures from the May 18th Forgeworld Weekender

Its funny, I figured Corax would be next since they made a whole minigame about him. Maybe because they did that they are putting extra attention on his model and it isn't ready yet?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Fried Chicken posted:

Its funny, I figured Corax would be next since they made a whole minigame about him. Maybe because they did that they are putting extra attention on his model and it isn't ready yet?

Minigame?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Maybe that's not the right term, but Extermination has a game using a modified set of the core rules for playing out how Corax and his honor guard were hunted down after the Dropsite Massacre.