Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

rejutka posted:

No. You can tell ICE loves travel journals and such as the book is a pretty interesting travel journal but the story stuff is pretty inconsequential or presented as such.

Basically the most interesting part of B&B is the chapter intro blurbs. Those come from actual travel journals.
I can't believe a book that heavily features Kallor could have been this boring.

I might be the only one but my favorite ICE novel is Stonewielder, probably mostly on account of having only one plotline that goes nowhere and it being a minor one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I just finished Blood and Bone myself yesterday actually.

I still think OST is his best book. I agree there was a lot of interminable slogging through jungle. The Osserc storyline was pretty inscrutable too. I didn't feel bored at all though, but there could definitely have been more revelation or closure at the end. Eh I won't bore you with a book report. It was a par ICE book.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I still think OST is his best book.
Story wise, yeah. I think his writing was better, from a technical perspective, in BnB.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

uh zip zoom posted:

Kruppe vs. Tehol the Only (wits only. No weapons, no warrens).

Everyone wins.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Blood and Bone was a letdown for me only in the sense that it nudged along the meandering Crimson Guard plot. It was really just a book about fleshing out a part of the world that has been mentioned but not really explored, and as an exploration of the setting I thought it was really good. I think it's the best-written of Esslemont's and the best at capturing the feeling of the main series, even if it was skimpy on big revelations. I'll be less forgiving of the book if Assail proves to be a bust, but I personally enjoyed B&B a lot.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Habibi posted:

Story wise, yeah. I think his writing was better, from a technical perspective, in BnB.

Yup exactly. I noticed too he has his pet words like Erikson's turgid: Cyclopean

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

uh zip zoom posted:

I like the "who would win in a fight" game. Let's play:

Quick Ben vs. Sormo E'nath.
Lostara Yil vs. Apsalar
Apt vs. Hedge
Baudin vs. Rallick Nom

Quick Ben, hands down. I just don't see Sormo knocking three dragons out of the sky.
Apsalar, again hands down. I don't remember anything Lostara Yil did that was particularly impressive. As the OP says, though: there are too many wor'ds, so I may be forgetting something.
Do you mean old, alive Hedge or new, Ascendant Hedge with an unlimited supply of cussers? If the former, then Apt. If the latter, I'd go even odds on Hedge.
Rallick if he gets the drop on Baudin. Baudin in a straight up fight.
Depends on who's on home turf. If on neutral ground, probably Kruppe given he seems to have some inside knowledge into the workings of Ascendants.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

Apsalar, again hands down. I don't remember anything Lostara Yil did that was particularly impressive. As the OP says, though: there are too many wor'ds, so I may be forgetting something.

Lostra was the one who killed a bunch of short tails when they busted through the heavies. It was described as a 'Mist of blood' by the guy who was laying on he ground wounded. I think that was it anyway.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Spermy Smurf posted:

Lostra was the one who killed a bunch of short tails when they busted through the heavies. It was described as a 'Mist of blood' by the guy who was laying on he ground wounded. I think that was it anyway.

Didn't Shadowthrone say that Lostara was one of the best Shadow Dancers he had ever seen? I think I remember something like that being said to her in a conversation. Or she said she stopped doing it because reasons. The details area bit hazy, but I think that was two separate conversations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Spermy Smurf posted:

Wasn't that Cotillion possessing her, though?

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

I honestly don't remember.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Blood and Bone has Old Man Moon who seems pretty boss.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

uh zip zoom posted:

I like the "who would win in a fight" game. Let's play:
Lostara Yil vs. Apsalar

Which Apsalar are you talking about? First Heroes Apsalar or Cotillion-host Aspalar....either Apsalar would win versus Lostara Yil, so Apsalar vs. Apsalar?

Kruppe vs Tehol is missing a fighter. You need to add in Iskaral Pust to make it a 3 man(Wits Only. No Weapons, No Warrens, No Wifes) fight.
the real winner in this version would be the reader

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

tuluk posted:

Kruppe vs Tehol is missing a fighter. You need to add in Iskaral Pust to make it a 3 man(Wits Only. No Weapons, No Warrens, No Wifes) fight.

Forget all this prequal nonsense. I just want an alternate reality book about the three of them trying to run the Letherii Empire.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

tuluk posted:

Also no donkeys.
In my mind I am imaging this as an hilarious ineffectual slap fight where the combatants gets dragged apart when it gets pathetic enough.

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014

Cardiac posted:

Also no donkeys.

You are literally cutting the comedic value of the fight by 3000%
Serious Thunderdome business: WhiskyJack vs Coltaine

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Cardiac posted:

Also no donkeys.

Agreed. Mainly because the only animal I remember being around tehol are plucked chickens. And plucked chicken vs. donkey vs. maybe-shadowthrone donkey is a gamebreaker.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 2, 2014

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

pakman posted:

Didn't Shadowthrone say that Lostara was one of the best Shadow Dancers he had ever seen? I think I remember something like that being said to her in a conversation. Or she said she stopped doing it because reasons. The details area bit hazy, but I think that was two separate conversations.

No, he said that to Apsalar after she had torn through the Claw to exact revenge on Pearl.

anilEhilated posted:

Yes.

E: QB, Apsalar, toss-up, Baudin, draw when they both pass out.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 2, 2014

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

tuluk posted:

Iskaral Pust is the judge. Also, I mean dead hedge and post gardens of the moon Apsalar. surely these fools won't notice the ad hoc manner in which I create this hypothetical contest

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

uh zip zoom posted:

Iskaral Pust is the judge. Also, I mean dead hedge and post gardens of the moon Apsalar. surely these fools won't notice the ad hoc manner in which I create this hypothetical contest

Placing Iskaral Pust as the judge would end with Iskaral Pust declaring himself the winner in every match, regardless of the actual participants or outcome
....just like how Iskaral ended up the High Magus of High House Shadow.
Mixing fact and conjecture at the same time is sure to cloud the issue sufficently to insure total victory

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

From my recollection Yil was the best shadow dancer that Cotillion had seen. During the fight she did get possessed. She was still good, just not that good. Apsalar wins

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I was in a rush this morning and set my copy of Reaper's Gale on top of my car as I was loading it. And then I drove away. Didn't realize it until I was already far down the road and had no chance to turn back. Sigh.

So... has anyone read the eBooks lately? When I last checked on them, they were full of typos and formatting errors which made them pretty annoying to read. Is there a newer/better version I can get? I have an iPhone with all the relevant apps, so iTunes/Kindle/Nook are all open to me.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

the later malazan series ebooks had better OCR scans and way less typos.
early malazan ebooks have horrible formatting & OCR scanning typos.
note: unsure if amazon.com's "the Malazan empire" ebook collection fixed the earlier books formatting problems.

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

Aranan posted:

I was in a rush this morning and set my copy of Reaper's Gale on top of my car as I was loading it. And then I drove away. Didn't realize it until I was already far down the road and had no chance to turn back. Sigh.

So... has anyone read the eBooks lately? When I last checked on them, they were full of typos and formatting errors which made them pretty annoying to read. Is there a newer/better version I can get? I have an iPhone with all the relevant apps, so iTunes/Kindle/Nook are all open to me.

I bought the entire series after it came out. There were very few OCR errors until the third book, that thing is just riddled with errors. House of Chains as 0 so far that I've noticed

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
There are a bunch of errors in the first three (like Toc the Younger turning into Toe the Younger occasionally), but it's not a big problem imo

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's not a big problem if you're rereading the series, but it would be a major pain in the rear end for a first timer. I heard they fixed them for the complete release, but the original one was pretty goddamn terrible.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I've used nothing but ebooks since starting the series a year or two ago. The versions from Google have not had any errors I've noticed. I read fairly quickly, so it's possible my eye simply skips errors and fills then in, but I haven't found it distracting, for whatever that's worth.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

I purchased all of them except for the first one from Amazon and I have no complaints. They even show me which passages are highlighted most often.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

I've used nothing but ebooks since starting the series a year or two ago. The versions from Google have not had any errors I've noticed. I read fairly quickly, so it's possible my eye simply skips errors and fills then in, but I haven't found it distracting, for whatever that's worth.

I started this year with the Google versions and haven't had any problem either.

Holy poo poo I am having a tough time getting through Midnight Tides.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
The digital versions have been revised at least twice. For example GotM got a new pass probably taken from the 10th anniversary reissue.

My wife worked on the kindle and when it released there was basically no selection at all. I remember when there weren't even kindle editions of any Erikson work :grandpa:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Did they actually release an update to the Kindle versions or just use the revised versions for the omnibus?

My versions are still rife with errors

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Well I don't know for sure, but if you have annotations on a copy you've downloaded (even last page read iirc) it won't overwrite with a new one since the locations could all get offset.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

only one plotline that goes nowhere and it being a minor one.

That does sound like Stonewielder, yes.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

Tooter posted:

From my recollection Yil was the best shadow dancer that Cotillion had seen.

Unfortunately this isn't a dance-off.

(I believe Cotillion was talking about actual dancing, not killing, he saw Lostara dancing for him when he visited the temple).

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

bucketybuck posted:

Unfortunately this isn't a dance-off.

(I believe Cotillion was talking about actual dancing, not killing, he saw Lostara dancing for him when he visited the temple).

The dance is a martial art.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

The dance is a martial art.

Yes, but there's a difference between theory and practice

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

For example GotM got a new pass probably taken from the 10th anniversary reissue.

That's actually the old one :)

GotM has two versions on paper, the original UK, which was used for 10th anniversary too, and a revised one for Tor.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Habibi posted:

Yes, but there's a difference between theory and practice

She seems pretty drat good in practice too.

I still think Not Apsalar would win though.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Abalieno posted:

That's actually the old one :)

GotM has two versions on paper, the original UK, which was used for 10th anniversary too, and a revised one for Tor.

lol, figures. What's the difference? Re typeset for the print edition and new OCR for the ebook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Masonity posted:

She seems pretty drat good in practice too.

I still think Not Apsalar would win though.

Yes, that's the idea.