Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

FishTaco posted:

My recommendation would be for you to give it the gently caress up.

Get it the gently caress up maybe.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

astrollinthepork posted:

I'm getting so close to pulling off wheelies on command. I've had two accidental wheelies in my 3 years of riding all on the 919. One was a power wheelie at like 50 MPH that scared the hell out of me. The other was a clutch up in first that shot up QUICK. Went back down hard and scared me from trying again for a while.

Today I've been practicing clutching up in 2nd at 15-25 MPH. I got it up a few times but couldn't hold them for more than a second or two. You've really gotta be high up in the rev range to pull it off and it's difficult getting that without getting slightly scared. But I'm getting there.

The gently caress is all this poo poo? I just WoT and the front pops right up.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Says the guy with the RC8.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

FishTaco posted:

I think most people would agree that the way it looks from the factory should be reasonably attainable with minimal cleaning. I've never been one of those types to spend more time cleaning than riding, but HD motorcycles seem to need that. The Japanese bikes I had could be washed whenever the hell you wanted and they would look fine, although most of them did have fairings.

As the owner of Japanese bikes and HD bikes all I have noticed is that they're both made of chrome and steel. They both have ethanol resistant clear coats, and they both have the occasional bit of leather and plastic. They dirty up about the same and require the same poo poo to clean them.

Maybe the problem is using HD branded cleaning products? The Honda poo poo doesn't lift the paint cuz it's made in 'Merica Mexico.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

Digital_Jesus posted:

That's awesome that you're comfortable with that. I'm not.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Power Wheelies are way less scary than clutching it up imo. Embrace the insanity.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Digital_Jesus posted:

Power Wheelies are way less scary than clutching it up imo. Embrace the insanity.

Stupid question: WOT from where? Idle? Low speed? I know the idea is to suddenly whack the throttle all the way open, but do you want to be rolling at a decent clip first? My SV1K shudders like a tractor if I gas it under 3000 rpm so presumably a starting point for sick monos is above that?

tjones
May 13, 2005
Embrace it, youve already come to the dark side. Wait until you start learning to shift through gears and higher gear standups. That's where it gets insane.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

prukinski posted:

Stupid question: WOT from where? Idle? Low speed? I know the idea is to suddenly whack the throttle all the way open, but do you want to be rolling at a decent clip first? My SV1K shudders like a tractor if I gas it under 3000 rpm so presumably a starting point for sick monos is above that?

Really depends on your bike. I can do it in second just above 3k *shrug*. I can do it in first at like 5mph too but that one was an accident and I thought I was gonna die so I don't recommend that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

prukinski posted:

You could probably get it to pop at around 4k in second. Cover the rear brake, cowboy.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

I was going down the highway, no other cars around, I'm tired, decided to try laying on the tank. Scootched my rear end back, laid on the tank bag. Everytime I looked at the speedo I was going faster than I meant, from less drag and all I suppose. I see a couple cars in the distance, one in the left lane going exactly the speed limit, should've given me a clue as to what the other car was, but I didn't think much of it. Looked at the speedo, going 70, slowed down a bit. Pass the first car, then realize the second car is county sheriff. fuuuuuuu. Speed limit is 55, speedo said 66-67, probably more like 62 or so. I figured slowing down then and pacing him would be more suspicious/disrespectful than anything else so I just said gently caress it and kept going and passed him, slowed down a little bit more though. He got behind me for a mile or two, but pulled off without pulling me over.

I wish I could find one of those big radar signs so I could see just how far off my speedo is.

Digital_Jesus posted:

I tried this, I just went faster :smith:.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
^^^^ Lean back, pull on bars, snap throttle.

SuperDuke review finally posted in my project thread :)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Digital_Jesus posted:

I found power wheelies on my ZX10 not frightening at all. The thought of using my clutch to do it on my 919 scares the poo poo out of me. WOT in first does lift the front a bit, but then you hit the limiter and it's all over. I literally am just too scared of doing a backflip and when I do get brutal with the clutch, as soon as the front lifts off I get scared and cut the throttle because I have no ingrained instincts as to what to do if things get out of hand, so I'd rather not risk it.

tjones
May 13, 2005
I know with my r6, power wheelies are the exact opposite. You have to be right at the top of the rev range and chop the throttle while bouncing the front a bit to get it to come up. By then you're full into the power band and the loving thing just rockets up.

Clutch ups on the other hand can be done at a lot lower rev and you can use it to begin the lift and use the throttle to coax the wheel up to the balance point.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Razzled posted:

The future is Tom Cruise's bike from Oblivion! Fold-out controls and totally electric!
:krad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLxqkvfMsQQ

Halfway there.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

I live in Japan and I've seen a few of these for sale (never seen one driven, although there are a number of tiny bikes, like Ape's, Monkey's, etc). They're quite expensive as they have a cult following, usually about $1k for a decent one with no problems. I'd buy one if it was closer to $500 (and I had a prayer of getting parts overseas), it'd be a hoot to bring home in my luggage and hoon around on.

The 30kph thing is still the law in Japan for 50cc's (probably has to do with the 50cc license being piss easy to get, in comparison with a car or motorbike license), though few bikes have hard limiter these days, my old YB-1 had a speedo that went to 60 which it would do without too much flogging, though a little red LED on the cluster would flash above 30. I live in the sticks and cops generally don't care as long as you aren't being flagrant about it, I've heard Tokyo and other cities are different.

Those Motocompos were actually designed to fit in the trunk of a certain Honda car of the era, the idea being you drive to the area you want to go to, park in cheap/free parking, then pull the Motocompo out of the trunk and ride it in to the more dense urban area. Needless to say the concept never caught on, cool little things though.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I would absolutely love one of those as a pit bike. Too bad they're so hard to get. But 30kph? Christ that's below moped speed.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

FishTaco posted:

I think most people would agree that the way it looks from the factory should be reasonably attainable with minimal cleaning.

I'm not so sure. They way it comes from the factory is a non-ridden type of condition. If you want it to look like it did when it came out of the factory, don't ride it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ola posted:

I'm not so sure. They way it comes from the factory is a non-ridden type of condition. If you want it to look like it did when it came out of the factory, don't ride it.

I would go insane if I had to keep the swingarm and chain guard on my bike clean, never mind the rest of it.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I would absolutely love one of those as a pit bike. Too bad they're so hard to get. But 30kph? Christ that's below moped speed.

30 kph is the old Swedish (and some other parts of Europe) standard for mopeds. Max 1 hp and max 30kph, and it's a moped. No stuff about having pedals or poo poo like that.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nidhg00670000 posted:

30 kph is the old Swedish (and some other parts of Europe) standard for mopeds. Max 1 hp and max 30kph, and it's a moped. No stuff about having pedals or poo poo like that.

Nowadays there are sex toys more powerful than that.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

captainOrbital posted:

That seems easy enough.

My b. Forgot to turn the gps tracker on.

I also just rode for thirteen hours and fell the gently caress asleep for nine at some econolodge in the UP. I saw some deer though, so that was cool terrifying.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I think I've posted this before, but here's a Street 750 that isn't blacked out

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Yeah that looks rad as hell. I'd ride that any day.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

metallicaeg posted:

I think I've posted this before, but here's a Street 750 that isn't blacked out

I know given the type of bike I'm asking the wrong question but how much lean angle can you actually get out of that rear tyre?

tjones
May 13, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

I would go insane if I had to keep the swingarm and chain guard on my bike clean, never mind the rest of it.

Kerosene works wonders for built up grease/oil. I clean my swingarm bits every few oil changes with a little bit of kerosene and a rag, then wash it all down with soapy water.

The front sprocket on the other hand...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

tjones posted:

Kerosene works wonders for built up grease/oil. I clean my swingarm bits every few oil changes with a little bit of kerosene and a rag, then wash it all down with soapy water.

The front sprocket on the other hand...

I really should clean the chain, sprockets and swingarm soon.

But I'd much rather ride it than clean it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I know given the type of bike I'm asking the wrong question but how much lean angle can you actually get out of that rear tyre?

The profile looks identical to the pilot activ commuter tyre on my girlfriend's hyosung. The answer: not very much. Still pretty sweet looking, I was ready to condemn those as ugly and cheap looking based on all the blacked-out pics but that actually looks good.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

The profile looks identical to the pilot activ commuter tyre on my girlfriend's hyosung. The answer: not very much. Still pretty sweet looking, I was ready to condemn those as ugly and cheap looking based on all the blacked-out pics but that actually looks good.

See I think it's the other way - looking at that I'm just left thinking how much nicer the Guzzi V7 looks, but the blacked-out ones look pretty cool to me.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The blacked out Guzzis look better, too.

Wonder how much the inverted fork option costs.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bugs me that they clearly went for a more performance-orientated look for that particular bike, in the vein of the XR1200, but it still has forward controls.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Slavvy posted:

Bugs me that they clearly went for a more performance-orientated look for that particular bike, in the vein of the XR1200, but it still has forward controls.

And still a single front disc.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I was thinking the same thing. It looks like a fun sporty standard but not with low bars and your feet sticking out like that.

FishTaco
May 28, 2014

Ola posted:

Could be, I guess. Water spots as credibility and character marks. Other manufacturers besides HD manage to use finishes that retain their characteristics with less maintenance. Nothing wrong with choosing that as a consumer, either.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

They've been advertising the Street way better too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udjMgFjzBLQ

(Some of the bikes in that video are XR750s :shh:)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Slavvy posted:

performance-orientated

It's "oriented", goddamnit. Don't reduplicate words that already exist :mad:

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Maybe he needs an orientation on which way to get oriented.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

If you want one (or are looking to get anything else Japan-specific), get in touch with Apex Moto. It's a foreigner-run shop here that can buy stuff on Yahoo Auctions (Japanese eBay) and would probably be willing to ship overseas or handle export processes. Obviously their time/effort costs something, but they seem quite reasonable. Probably gonna work out a consignment deal with them on the GS650 my German buddy is planning to buy and travel with me on this summer. Be a good place to get an Africa Twin now that the earlier ones are becoming US-legal, for example.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

It's "oriented", goddamnit. Don't reduplicate words that already exist :mad:

:saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Slavvy posted:

Those aren't forward controls, forward controls are mounted forward of the motor, thusly;

These are actually mids, if you look closely you will note that the peg and control are mounted in the middle of the case. Something about the bike's layout makes for odd perspective.

(e): Likely due to the fact that on sportbikes the pegs tend to be mounted rearward.

Outside Dawg fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 8, 2014