Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Pakled posted:

Some time ago, I came across this collection of anti-Catholic KKK political cartoons from the 1920s. It's pretty, uh, interesting.

This would have a very different message nowadays.

Uh, so, the Catholic Church wants to keep the Bible out of public schools?

IIRC it was a fight over the legality of private Catholic schools and Jesuit colleges. Protestants wanted them made illegal and replaced with public schools which would teach the correct biblical religion as opposed to the evil papist Catholicism

edit: here you go

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Catholicism_in_the_United_States#Parochial_schools_under_attack

quote:

Catholic schools began in the United States as a matter of religious and ethnic pride and as a way to insulate Catholic youth from the influence of Protestant teachers and contact with non-Catholic students.[18]

In 1869 the religious issue in New York City escalated when Tammany Hall, with its large Catholic base, sought and obtained $1.5 million in state money for Catholic schools. Thomas Nast's cartoon The American River Ganges (above) shows Catholic Bishops, directed by the Vatican, as crocodiles attacking American schoolchildren.[19][20]

Republican Senator James G. Blaine of Maine proposed an amendment to the Constitution in 1874 that provided: "No money raised by taxation in any State for the support of public schools, or derived from any public source, nor any public lands devoted thereto, shall ever be under the control of any religious sect, nor shall any money so raised or land so devoted be divided between religious sects or denominations." The amendment was defeated in 1875 but would be used as a model for so-called "Blaine Amendments" incorporated into 34 state constitutions over the next three decades.

In 1875, President Ulysses S. Grant supported the Blaine Amendment – a Constitutional amendment that would mandate free public schools and prohibit the use of public funds for "sectarian" schools. Grant feared a future with "patriotism and intelligence on one side and superstition, ambition and greed on the other" and called for public schools that would be "unmixed with atheistic, pagan or sectarian teaching."[21]

These "Blaine amendments" prohibited the use of public funds to fund parochial schools.[22]

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Nessus posted:

The Catholics also place much less emphasis on the Bible - not that they say it isn't holy or true so much as that they don't practically worship it in a single English translation the way a lot of the wacky American protestant groups do.

I briefly dated a crazy Baptist girl (I didn't realize she was super into religion when we met mind you) whose church exclusively used the King James Bible.

Which by my count is: an English translation of a Latin translation, of a Greek translation, of a largely Aramaic translation of a compilation of stories written across 3,000 years in many different local dialects where often one "book" might compile the same story written 1,000 years apart (see flood chapters).

I probably missed a few steps but Goddamn.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The NT is mostly Greek so that's only if you're talking about the OT.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Pook Good Mook posted:

Which by my count is: an English translation of a Latin translation, of a Greek translation, of a largely Aramaic translation of a compilation of stories written across 3,000 years in many different local dialects where often one "book" might compile the same story written 1,000 years apart (see flood chapters).

I probably missed a few steps but Goddamn.

Don't forget that the base text is a revision of a revision of the incomplete Tyndale bible!

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

KKK is driving out intolerance, among other things!

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

computer parts posted:

The NT is mostly Greek so that's only if you're talking about the OT.

I was.

Which incidentally is basically all nutbag Baptists can talk about too.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

icantfindaname posted:

IIRC it was a fight over the legality of private Catholic schools and Jesuit colleges. Protestants wanted them made illegal and replaced with public schools which would teach the correct biblical religion as opposed to the evil papist Catholicism

edit: here you go

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Catholicism_in_the_United_States#Parochial_schools_under_attack

Lets be honest, those amendments may have been founded in bigotry, but they really would be helpful now.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Debate Disco > Politically-loaded religious schisms

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Stefu posted:

I'm confused about this image. Is St. Padraig driving off the snakes of Catholicism, or are the Klansmen driving him off alongside the snakes?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Stefu posted:

One of those snakes is labeled "Temporal Power". Did the Catholics have time manipulation magicks?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Crowsbeak posted:

Lets be honest, those amendments may have been founded in bigotry, but they really would be helpful now.

They really wouldn't since they're specifically about schools.

Also 38 states currently have the laws on the books and it hasn't changed much.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Ditocoaf posted:

One of those snakes is labeled "Temporal Power". Did the Catholics have time manipulation magicks?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporal_power

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

computer parts posted:

Actually Nevada has such an amendment, which has been used to keep public money from going to religious charter schools. Unfortunately, I guess many states don't interpret theirs that way.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Stefu posted:

Pretty great that the whole "[insert minority here] is the REAL intolerant ones!" thing was already in use in the 1920's

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Stefu posted:

Weren't the Irish still considered non-white back then, along with everybody that weren't Anglo-Saxon or Germanic?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Disco Infiva posted:

Weren't the Irish still considered non-white back then, along with everybody that weren't Anglo-Saxon or Germanic?

In nearly 1930? I mean I guess among old old old school conservatives. Given the subject matter, I'd say it's more anti-papist than the Irish are not white. By that point they'd been in the country for a few generations and while I wouldn't want my daughter dating one, there were clearly some good ones (sentiment in context).

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Now was any of that anti-Irish bigotry ever directed to the more predominantly Presbyterian Scotch-Irish?

e: I guess it could be motivated by nativist sentiments?

Frostwerks fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jun 10, 2014

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
I thought the Scotch-Irish were supposed to be descendants of the Anglo-Scot colonists from the Ulster plantation era, i was always under the impression they were ethnically distinct from the native Irish.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
They were, but bigots aren't the loving brightest bunch.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Nessus posted:

The Catholics also place much less emphasis on the Bible - not that they say it isn't holy or true so much as that they don't practically worship it in a single English translation the way a lot of the wacky American protestant groups do.

What I find most baffling is that they still read it so selectively. There you have people that say only the bible is valid and then they ignore various things. Like the bible says faith alone is not enough to get into heaven but apparently good deeds are too stressful and papist? The bible even has passages referring to purgatory in all but name that Protestants deny.

Still, I find the greatest irony here in the fact they use(d) the Catholic Latin bible as base for their translations.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

computer parts posted:

I'm thinking about Louisiana and its school system right now. Seriously we could stop one part of the charter school movement fraud that way.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Frostwerks posted:

They were, but bigots aren't the loving brightest bunch.

The Scotch-Irish were some of the first immigrants to what would become the united states and most protestant-Irish immigration to America basically dried up by 1845. They were generally committed protestants who had been in America for centuries so they tended to be members of the KKK rather than victims of it (in fact the very moniker 'Scotch-Irish' was only used after major Catholic Irish immigration after the great famine, the Scotch-Irish were horrified that people would yolk them together with the new immigrants and as such emphasized their Scottish connections, which were admittedly very deep, to distinguish themselves).

I guess you could say that condescension towards 'White trash' often counted as prejudice towards them.

Disco Infiva posted:

Definitely not by 1920 except among the most backward, intransigent ultra protestants. Which is important because a lot of early prejudice against the Irish was more directed at their religion rather than their ethnic background.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 10, 2014

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

as a norfolker, i'm not sure how i feel about this

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Pakled posted:

Uh, so, the Catholic Church wants to keep the Bible out of public schools?

Whereas some Protestants like to criticize Catholicism for worshiping the Popes and Saints, some Catholics accuse protestant groups of Biblical idolatry. Scripture is not ultimate reality but a sign that points to ultimate reality. It is not infallible and should not be studied at the exclusion of other aspects of the faith, like Tradition. By elevating the Bible to an unquestionable status, Protestants are unintentionally replacing God with the Bible.

There are some Catholic scholars that go further by saying that the Bible is not even necessary to be Christian. The early Christian communities obviously had no scripture. Until the printing press the Bible was not accessible to anyone except the most educated and the most wealthy so Christian communities relied on oral tradition to keep the faith.

Provinces and diocese of the Catholic Church in the United States. Each colour represents an ecclesiastic province, each shape is a diocese.

Diocese designated by the Church to be "Mission Diocese" requiring financial or institutional aid. These are generally communities where there is severe economic hardship or limited institutional presence (i.e. there are no ordained leaders, Catholic schools or religious buildings).

EDIT: Just noticed how the diocese borders for Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia line up with that ancient shoreline that appears so frequently on political maps.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 10, 2014

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Haha, I can just imagine some starry-eyed just ordained priest getting sent into some dirt-poor hellhole where half of the congregation only speaks Spanish and the other half is addicted to meth. Though maybe that's exactly what a starry-eyed priest would be looking for, I don't know.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

QuoProQuid posted:

Diocese designated by the Church to be "Mission Diocese" requiring financial or institutional aid. These are generally communities where there is severe economic hardship or limited institutional presence (i.e. there are no ordained leaders, Catholic schools or religious buildings).

EDIT: Just noticed how the diocese borders for Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia line up with that ancient shoreline that appears so frequently on political maps.

Interesting, I went to Catholic elementary and middle schools for years what is apparently one of the few Dioceses in the South that has Catholic schools, and I sorta assumed Catholic schools were everywhere.

I'm not quite so sure race is the reason those Dioceses in the South have financial hardship, since very few Catholics are African-American to begin with. Seems more like it's just rural areas that are more difficult to minister to, perhaps because the population is more spread out.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

QuoProQuid posted:

Hmmm I wonder just why the Stockton Diocese needs financial help, my parents sure seem to say that bishop Blair is always begging for money.

Oh yeah, that's why.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pakled posted:

Interesting, I went to Catholic elementary and middle schools for years what is apparently one of the few Dioceses in the South that has Catholic schools, and I sorta assumed Catholic schools were everywhere.

Plenty of those areas have catholic schools. I know for a fact the Boise one does, and the Santa Rosa one probably does too.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I went to the Catholic Extension website to double check. Here's how a "Mission Diocese" is defined in the institution's own words:

FAQ and Policies posted:

A mission diocese is a place where the Catholic Church is emerging, and even thriving, but the financial resources are scarce. A mission diocese is often limited in terms of infrastructure, Catholic educational institutions, professional opportunities, and philanthropic opportunities.

In a Catholic Extension supported mission diocese, often one or more of the following conditions exist:
  • There are many Catholics, but little institutional Catholic presence (i.e. ordained leaders, Catholic schools and church buildings).
  • There is a rapidly growing Catholic population, but limited financial means to support this growth.
  • Catholics are spread throughout great geographic distances, making pastoral outreach difficult.
  • Catholics are located in areas facing economic hardships.
  • Catholics represent the religious minority in their communities.

So some areas are designated as mission communities just because they are extremely rural. I was hoping there would be a specific breakdown on why certain areas were selected but it doesn't look like they publish that information.

My grandparents used to have a calendar with information on the Mission Diocese and it only ever discussed economic hardship or limited institutional presence as factors determining which areas were chosen.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I wonder if people in Latin America are forming Catholic Leagues to stop the Protestant menace now that so many people there have been converting to various obscure Protestant denominations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

QuoProQuid posted:

Provinces and diocese of the Catholic Church in the United States. Each colour represents an ecclesiastic province, each shape is a diocese.

I'm not a christian but man I love the Catholic church because they have great heraldry:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Coats_of_arms_of_dioceses_of_the_United_States

ex:
Coat of Arms of the Diocese of Evansville

Crescent because evansville is on a crescent in the river, wall because of the city built on a bluff/the levee that protects the city, water for the ohio river. Clean, pretty, easy to figure out.

Seal of the City of Evansville

Scales.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Peanut President posted:

I'm not a christian but man I love the Catholic church because they have great heraldry:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Coats_of_arms_of_dioceses_of_the_United_States

ex:
Coat of Arms of the Diocese of Evansville

Crescent because evansville is on a crescent in the river, wall because of the city built on a bluff/the levee that protects the city, water for the ohio river. Clean, pretty, easy to figure out.

Seal of the City of Evansville

Scales.

American heraldry and vexillology is awful compared to Europe. About half of the state flags are a samey-looking white or yellow state seal in front of blue. My state had this abomination for a few years a while back:

It was changed from a design that was mostly the Confederate flag, but it's still awful. There's too much text, there are flags inside of flags, it has that generic "state seal in front of blue field" design, and it still has the Confederate flag. Luckily they've since changed to a design that's neither Confederate nor designed by committee.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

I wonder if people in Latin America are forming Catholic Leagues to stop the Protestant menace now that so many people there have been converting to various obscure Protestant denominations.

I hope so because a lot of those Protestant denominations are even more intolerant and backwards than the Catholic Church.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Badger of Basra posted:

I hope so because a lot of those Protestant denominations are even more intolerant and backwards than the Catholic Church.

Reminder the Protestant reformation happened because they thought the Catholic church had become too liberal. The Protestants are the zealots trying to restore the faith!

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Pakled posted:

Luckily they've since changed to a design that's neither Confederate

:banjo: It's based on the "stars and bars" confederate flag.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Riso posted:

What I find most baffling is that they still read it so selectively. There you have people that say only the bible is valid and then they ignore various things. Like the bible says faith alone is not enough to get into heaven but apparently good deeds are too stressful and papist? The bible even has passages referring to purgatory in all but name that Protestants deny.

Still, I find the greatest irony here in the fact they use(d) the Catholic Latin bible as base for their translations.
There's actually an entire mythology around the creation of the King James Bible that's so obviously fatuous bullshit made up to turn that particular Olde English Translation into some mystical tome like in D&D. It's kind of great, or would be if they didn't run a third of the country.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Pakled posted:

American heraldry and vexillology is awful compared to Europe. About half of the state flags are a samey-looking white or yellow state seal in front of blue. My state had this abomination for a few years a while back:

It was changed from a design that was mostly the Confederate flag, but it's still awful. There's too much text, there are flags inside of flags, it has that generic "state seal in front of blue field" design, and it still has the Confederate flag. Luckily they've since changed to a design that's neither Confederate nor designed by committee.

Hahah yeah Georgia's flag is actually the confederate flag it just doesn't have the battle flag/rebel flag/KKK flag on it.

Confederate flag^

Georgia flags^

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Riso posted:

Reminder the Protestant reformation happened because they thought the Catholic church had become too liberal. The Protestants are the zealots trying to restore the faith!

Well, that and the combination of vernacular translations plus Gutenberg's printing press meaning that people could and did interpret the Bible for themselves, the sale of indulgences incensed many, including Mr. Luther, and the opulence of the Renaissance Popes-- reminder that a Borgia was Pope just 14 years prior to the nailing of the 95 theses. Julius II (who died 4 years prior) plunged Italy into war and spent vast sums on beautifying Rome, which I suppose was nice for a Roman but not very endearing to a German. Heck, at the very time Luther was writing his theses, Pope Leo X was busy using Church money to fund a nepotistic war to seize the Duchy of Urbino for his nephew.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I do enjoy the way these fanatics fixate on that particular version of the bible. Do they know that King James VI was gay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Peanut President posted:

Hahah yeah Georgia's flag is actually the confederate flag it just doesn't have the battle flag/rebel flag/KKK flag on it.

Confederate flag^

Georgia flags^

Oh dammit, I knew that was the CSA's flag but I never made the connection to Georgia's flag because it's not as iconic as the battle flag. :v: