Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
I bought a bunch of cheapo 12 Litre buckets to use as pots today, as well as some compost and a few starter chilli plants that were significantly more developed than my home grown ones. I drilled a bunch of holes in the buckets and I have a bunch of broken crockery and beach stones for drainage, but I'm unsure how much to use. Does it just need to be enough so the soil does not escape / clog the drainage holes?

Also, on the way home I noticed that the plants had a few aphids on them. I've scanned the whole plants top to bottom and removed any aphids and egg sacs that I can see, but I was hoping that you guys could recommend a soap or solution to napalm the fuckers with, as my last attempt with spraying my plants with soap had something in it that killed the gently caress out of my plants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

I know I gave you bad advice with the last batch of aphids, but I've used diluted Murphy's Oilsoap to great effect.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
Yeah I'm not mad about that or anything, it was my fault for not checking what was in it, it was one of those liquid lemon dish washing soaps.

I'm going to keep the starters exposed outside, since they look hardy enough. I'm looking at a bunch of stuff like neem oil and cornflower solutions. I might just make some soapy water out of a soap bar or something.

Lord knows what's going on with my cloche'd chilies, they seem to be doing OK one moment, then all of their leaves are starting to turn brown and die the next. I don't know if they are diseased, getting to hot, or enough air circulation or what.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Another thing I tried recently when I found some rear end in a top hat ants farming aphids on my morning glories was neem oil. I know everyone recommends it but I only recently got ahold of some. Anyway, it stopped those fuckers in their tracks. Only thing is, you have to apply it to each leaf underside (or wherever the aphids are) individually, so it may not be viable if you have a lot of plants.

As for the dying chili plants, it does sound like they might be getting too hot, or are not being watered enough, or both. Do the leaves wilt a lot before turning brown?

E: oh you mentioned neem oil in your post.

Hummingbirds fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 11, 2014

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Crossposting from the space thread.

Lettuce grown on the ISS.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
^^^^^ That's cool as poo poo. I never ever get tired of seeing how plants grow while in orbit. I am too lazy to look it up, but I'm really curious if they use some kind of a grow light like an HPS or if they simply "open the curtains" and let in the raw rear end sunlight from a window or something.

Maldraedior posted:

I feel bad for everyone with drought issues but holy poo poo it will not stop raining here. Today is day 16 of every day is a rainy day. 10 or so of those have had severe thunderstorms. I don't even know what to do anymore. When its dry you can water but at this point there's no other option but be wet. I had to use the string trimmer on the lawn because the wheels on the mower wont turn they just dig in.

We've only had 2 days of monstrous crazy rain and I'm already tired of it and so is most of my garden, so you definitely have my respect for putting up with it for 16+ days. The only thing in my garden that's not figuratively treading water (and my garden is on top of a hill) are my 2 sunflowers, and those mothers are SKYROCKETING into orbit to join the ISS. The gnarly winds have given them some impressive stems for their age too. I'll try and get a picture when/if it stops raining.

Belloq
Nov 22, 2005

coyo7e posted:

So I took some of the saucer-sized lower leaves off my brussels sprouts, sliced them into ribbons and cooked 'em up like collard greens (collard up some greens?

I gave everything in my garden a shot of 12-1-1 a couple days ago and everything but the jalapenos are looking great. Next year I'm gonna go all :science: with soil tests and poo poo, once I have a couple of baselines to work from. The jalapenos are a bit yellowish still and a little limp. I'm not too concerned since it's not my plant and jalapenos are cheap as hell, although I am curious as to the cause.

Cool to hear about the brussels sprouts leaves. Jals get weak when conditions are too wet or when they get a magnesium deficiency. Given as you hit them with the 12-1-1, I would bet that a foliar feed of epsom salt would work wonders. If you want to try to bring them to life, dissolve one tbs of epsom salt in a gallon of water and give them a good spray. I often do this after a nitrogen heavy feed and have a ton of luck. If it's been raining constantly then there may not be much you can do.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
In the home made compost versus store bought compost, the home made is creating happy green monsters and everything not direct sown in the store compost is going- meh, why try.

Is there anything I can do since my current compost batch is still entirely too young to use?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Your store bought compost probably has a lot more woody debris in it. Try some fish emulsion, bloodmeal or other source of nitrogen.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
The trellis idea sounds amazing. I'm thinking I'm going to have to do that and just rig up support for the pumpkins.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Amykinz posted:

The trellis idea sounds amazing. I'm thinking I'm going to have to do that and just rig up support for the pumpkins.

July 21st, 2012:

August 13th, 2012:

3 plants in a 9x3 space. I think they yielded about 30 spaghetti squash.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Anybody know what this plant is?

I'm pretty sure it's a weed, but I sowed a wide assortment of seeds so I can't be sure. For a weed it has nice looking leaves and they even taste kinda nice. I have several of these in my little plot.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Looks like pokeweed to me. I'd recommend against eating unidentified plants in the future.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Comb Your Beard posted:

Anybody know what this plant is?

I'm pretty sure it's a weed, but I sowed a wide assortment of seeds so I can't be sure. For a weed it has nice looking leaves and they even taste kinda nice. I have several of these in my little plot.

heeeyyy buddy, please don't randomly sample leaves of plants when you don't know what they are.
You'll end up like the guy who used Gympie Gympie to wipe his rear end in a top hat and shot himself because of the pain.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tyson Tomko posted:

^^^^^ That's cool as poo poo. I never ever get tired of seeing how plants grow while in orbit. I am too lazy to look it up, but I'm really curious if they use some kind of a grow light like an HPS or if they simply "open the curtains" and let in the raw rear end sunlight from a window or something.

Considering the size of the windows and the orbital period of the ISS (about 1 orbit every 90 minutes) I'd imagine they use grow-lamps. Though the effect on plants of 45 minutes of intense unfiltered sunlight followed by 45 minutes of total blackness, repeat forever, might be interesting to study.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
Here's the buckets and stuff,

Is this adequate enough for drainage, or should I put in a few more holes and more broken pottery etc?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Maldraedior posted:

I feel bad for everyone with drought issues but holy poo poo it will not stop raining here. Today is day 16 of every day is a rainy day. 10 or so of those have had severe thunderstorms. I don't even know what to do anymore. When its dry you can water but at this point there's no other option but be wet. I had to use the string trimmer on the lawn because the wheels on the mower wont turn they just dig in.

We are actually better than last year here. A bit more snowpack this past winter. I make good use of our irrigation (irrigation water right for our property is pretty much the only reason we have a $11/mo HOA fee) for our lawns and plantings.

It's just a tightrope to walk. I want to water less often but more deeply. But unless we have mulch/compost on the surface, things dry out so comically fast. The sun is that intense here. The near daily strong winds aren't helping either.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 12, 2014

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
For anyone having trouble getting a hold of neem oil, you can find some for very cheap at an Indian convenience/grocery store if it have one. It's in the hair product section.

I think my whiteflies are back/never left. Any recommendations?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Dilettante. posted:

Is this adequate enough for drainage, or should I put in a few more holes and more broken pottery etc?
Drill four more holes, maybe use an 8mm diameter for the drill, just to be sure. I don't even use any gravel/broken pottery/whatever, so I'm pretty sure what you have there is technically adequate.

Though check the bottom of the buckets to see whether they are resting on a continuous ridge that would almost seal against a flat floor. If that's the case, use a file to provide a way for water to drain from underneath the bucket as well.

detectivemonkey posted:

I think my whiteflies are back/never left. Any recommendations?
I tried water with some raw/natural/organic linseed oil (floor)soap in it and that seems to have worked exceedingly well. Though I think you might damage the plant if you need to use it more than a couple of times. I'm also guessing it won't do much against whiteflies that have nestled themselves in already (?)

Sprayed the underside of the leaves, rinsed the topsides pretty generously with water to get my sprayer cleaned out (that soap can do poo poo with some plastic weakeners) and to prevent leaving a film on top of the leaves. Did that twice in two days, haven't seen a whitefly since.

Linseed oil soap is excellent, aggressively degreasing soap suitable for a whole bunch of cleaning jobs and should be cheap if not bought from some sort of nature store.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I believe I heard that the gravel/pottery in the bottom is a practise that has fallen out of style. If you know that the plant specifically needs great drainage and you care that much, then you should probably be adding vermiculite to your dirt.

I'd only bother doing this with, say, an expensive indoor perennial which I wouldn't be transferring up to a larger container for a couple/few years. And if I was doing that, I'd be using a real planting container instead of a bucket. v:shobon:v

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

coyo7e posted:

If you know that the plant specifically needs great drainage and you care that much, then you should probably be adding vermiculite to your dirtsoilless potting mix.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Packing peanuts. Keep things light.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
OK cool, it must be just an English thing with the pottery and stuff. I was just wondering because my other pots had plenty of holes but the soil stayed damp for days, probably because they were sitting flat against a plastic tarpaulin sheet and the water had nowhere to go. thanks for the tips.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
Anyone here know about insecticides and spraying?

We are renting a house which has a large wooden fence running all the way around. Our landlord just emailed me saying that it's time for the yearly termite inspection and insect spraying. They sprayed last year but it was right when we moved in, so I didn't really know what was going on at the time. They sprayed the entire fence, threw granules all over the yard and walked around the house spraying the sides and interior.

Our garden really struggled last year. Lots of insect problems (caterpillars, mites, aphids, etc) and a lot of unpollinated flowers.

I didn't think about the spraying and it's potential impact until this year...because our garden is doing great! We have tons of wasps, bees and dragonflies around the yard, and I really think they are managing the critter population. Is this a valid theory? Do these companies use broad-spectrum insecticides, or do they only target termites?

We do have carpenter bee problems with the fence, but I've been spot-spraying those and filling in the holes with wood putty. So other than termites, I don't really want the landlord to spray for anything.

And this is coming from a guy that basically has a wasp-phobia...but I've learned to cope because I want them near my garden :)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ Ask the landlord what pesticides they're using, and make sure they're aware that you've got a food garden which you're concerned could be contaminated. In my experience with property management places and absentia landlords - they'll probably lie through their teeth because they have no loving idea what their landscaping crew is using (tip: it's the nastiest poo poo they can find because it lasts the longest,) but they may have an answer.

Dilettante. posted:

OK cool, it must be just an English thing with the pottery and stuff. I was just wondering because my other pots had plenty of holes but the soil stayed damp for days, probably because they were sitting flat against a plastic tarpaulin sheet and the water had nowhere to go. thanks for the tips.
Yeah that would be more a factor of creating a seal. Why not poke a couple holes in the side, 1/2" from the bottom of the bucket?

The potsherds thing is oldschool, my parents used to do that with everything but nowadays they don't bother with it at all. I doubt it'll hurt anything but i think the bird has flown the coop on anyone really doing that and recommending it, anymore.

As for packing peanuts, I'd be concerned about them getting gross and mildewy (I'd also be concerend about old broken potsherds that've been outdoors for a while, whatever used to grow in them and which might've gotten sick and died, plus stuff trying to grow on the broken pieces while they've been left out in the elements, could be a wildcard that I could imagine bringing in non-beneficial stuff. They'll also compress over time. If they're using rocks and broken pottery, they're not going to :spergin: out on magic not-dirt mixtures.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Dilettante. posted:

If you are really worried about over-watering, drill a few holes on the bottom 2-4 inches of the sides of the pots too.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I finally got my wish and it stopped raining here. I got home from work today after a really nice sunny day, and drat my garden has taken off. My tomatoes are getting really bushy and I officially have 3 little tomatoes (2 other ones looked like they had brown holes in them so I pinched them off) and I've got a feeling poo poo is going to take off QUICK from this point on. They are starting to really really branch out and some are touching each other, so tomorrow when I get home I've got some serious staking and tying off to do.

On a cooler note, when I was waiting outside the physical therapy place my wife is going to (dislocated kneecap OUCH) I was waiting outside at a random little table because the black parking lot was like an oven. While I was sitting there chillin, I see the smallest praying mantis I have ever seen come up to me and just sway back and forth, then scurried off. I tried to grab a picture with my awful phone so check it out:

And the digitally enhanced zoom in:

Keep in mind that table is really really thin tile too.

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 13, 2014

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Marchegiana posted:

Looks like pokeweed to me. I'd recommend against eating unidentified plants in the future.

Ok I think you are right about it being pokeweed. Right for my geographical area too. Apparently some people do eat the young leaves, but still not the best idea.

In other news by Thai hybrid pepper plant shot up a whole inch practically overnight after some heavy rain!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Breaky posted:

Crossposting from the space thread.

Lettuce grown on the ISS.

I bet that motherfucker doesn't have to deal with aphids. :argh:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

My cucumbers are getting a bit angry at the lack of more upward room :ohdear:

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT

Grand Fromage posted:

I bet that motherfucker doesn't have to deal with aphids. :argh:

Space Aphids.

Spaphids

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Tater question:
Is mulch (it's a nice natural cedar mulch) acceptable fill for burying/mounding a potato vine?

It's a sweet potato if that affects the answer.

Also. Spaphids are some starship troopers / starcraft poo poo.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
What are the gross grey dust bugs that are growing in the stems of my broccoli heads and how do I get rid of these disgusting fiends that I may or may not have eaten because they're difficult to see.

To further explain, it looks like a dust bunny inside the heads of broccoli, except inside the dust there are about 10 grey bugs.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

alnilam posted:

Tater question:
Is mulch (it's a nice natural cedar mulch) acceptable fill for burying/mounding a potato vine?

It's a sweet potato if that affects the answer.

Also. Spaphids are some starship troopers / starcraft poo poo.

Use straw. That way, anything that gets mixed in the soil when you're harvesting will help lightening it up a bit, and certainly won't do you any harm. Bonus, it's soft on your hands and easy to rake aside come harvest time. Pine trees are also full of all sorts of natural compounds that are unpleasant. And, any bits that get tilled into your soil (which is guaranteed to happen when you dig your taters) will suck the nitrogen right out of your soil via their decomposition process. :)

Mulch with straw, erryday.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

AlistairCookie posted:

Use straw. That way, anything that gets mixed in the soil when you're harvesting will help lightening it up a bit, and certainly won't do you any harm. Bonus, it's soft on your hands and easy to rake aside come harvest time. Pine trees are also full of all sorts of natural compounds that are unpleasant. And, any bits that get tilled into your soil (which is guaranteed to happen when you dig your taters) will suck the nitrogen right out of your soil via their decomposition process. :)

Mulch with straw, erryday.

Ty, now i have to figure out how to get enough straw without a car :smith:

Just straw, or straw+dirt?

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

alnilam posted:

Is amazon an option for you?

I don't know if there's better straw, that's just the first one I saw searching.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.
Veggie people,

Tips for preventing neighbor cats for using nice soft tilled garden soil as a litter box?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
^^ Some kind of wire fencing or I've heard sticking a lot of bamboo skewers in the bed can work. There are some chemical repellents made from stuff like capsacin that might work. Or make a more desirable place for them to go besides your garden.

alnilam posted:

When I tried just straw for hilling up potatoes it never produced any tubers in the straw. I don't think it was dense, moist and soil-like enough. Now I hill with soil but cover each hilling with straw mulch so it ends up layered.

My preferred local nursey/garden supply store sells straw by the bale. They used to sell a bale for about $9 that had a fair amount of seed in it. Now they sell a slightly smaller but much more compressed bale with virtually no seed for about $12.

You'll have to find someone with a vehicle, preferably a pick-up truck (and then get as many as you can fit). If you do it in a car trunk or hatchback be sure to put down a tarp first and offer to vacuum out all the straw bits afterwards.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

boberteatskitten posted:

Veggie people,

Tips for preventing neighbor cats for using nice soft tilled garden soil as a litter box?

Chemical scent repellents, ant/or a whole bunch of plastic forks stuck in the ground handle side down so that the tines are sticking up--just barely above the surface. Discourages digging. Fencing as a last resort, if you don't already need fencing for rabbits, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

boberteatskitten posted:

Veggie people,

Liquid deer fence/other smell stuff or my favorite: the scarecrow. Works for so many things.

http://www.amazon.com/Contech-CRO101-Scarecrow-Activated-Sprinkler/dp/B000071NUS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402706964&sr=8-1&keywords=scarecrow