Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Lord Twisted posted:

After oby, the show watchers are gonna see quentyns horrible death coming if they get attached to him. Seems to similar. Likable dornishman who dies around episode 8-9

It's going to be like killing off Nikki and Paulo in Lost who seemed to be inserted into the show to fill time. People are going to be cheering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

More like "survive an incredible hostage situation and not lose your head". Sansa can't run around doing whatever she wants 'cause she'll die if that's the case. Her chapters are more there to provide court intrigue and politics. Though you could say Tyrion does that as well.

I agree with this fully. Sansa put up with a lot and at least you were waiting for her to stick a knife into someone. It never happened though because Sansa knew it was pointless because it would lead to her death and the delight of Cersei. And beside she is in the books all of 15 or 16?

Yeah I hated Sansa at first too but once we hit late Storm and Dance she was, and still is, one of my more favorite characters due to her growth as a person. Petyr might just give her the tools she needs to become a great queen and get revenge her own way.

If you expected Sansa to go Rambo on the court I don't honestly know what to tell you.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Hunky Joe posted:

I agree with this fully. Sansa put up with a lot and at least you were waiting for her to stick a knife into someone. It never happened though because Sansa knew it was pointless because it would lead to her death and the delight of Cersei. And beside she is in the books all of 15 or 16?

Yeah I hated Sansa at first too but once we hit late Storm and Dance she was, and still is, one of my more favorite characters due to her growth as a person. Petyr might just give her the tools she needs to become a great queen and get revenge her own way.

If you expected Sansa to go Rambo on the court I don't honestly know what to tell you.

I...don't think anyone does. He was responding to me, but I was only describing her narrative function, not criticizing her actions. I didn't hate her at any point.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Jeffrey posted:

I...don't think anyone does. He was responding to me, but I was only describing her narrative function, not criticizing her actions. I didn't hate her at any point.

She was just a soft person who couldn't really think interestingly and was still a great POV character due to her circumstances. The problem with Quentyn is that he's in Essos where fun goes to poo poo in a field.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

TK-42-1 posted:

She was just a soft person who couldn't really think interestingly and was still a great POV character due to her circumstances.

Sansa's thought process getting more sophisticated is one of the best parts of the story. I love it.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

kaworu posted:

Yeah, Bran is learning how to warg into weirwoods, which is really freaking cool and exactly what greenseers were always purported to do. Even more to the point, ever since Tolkien and the ents, trees and their like have basically been considered extremely wise and ancient and powerful. I always loved the concept of the weirwood and the tree itself as a place/object of worship, with the eerie faces carved into them and the eyes weeping sap. Utterly fantastic imagery.

If the "Bran learns to fly" scene hadn't been literally the most disappointing passage in the entirety of the series, you might have a point here, but considering the pathetically lazy way in which that was written, you're being far too optimistic. Your imagination of how good it's going to be doesn't square with how bad it already is.

Hunky Joe posted:

This is GRRM we're talking about. She was 11 or 12.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The Book Barn > ASoIaF: Your imagination of how good it's going to be doesn't square with how bad it already is.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Cornwind Evil posted:

If you dig and twist, Quentyn DOES have aspects of interest about him. He's a further examination of the toxic nature of medieval hegemony that GRRM has been attacking the whole series, because it gets romanticized in so many other fantasy novels: Quentyn gets sent on his mission because he's the firstborn son and there's been a pact signed, and even a supposedly brilliant man like Doran can't see that this is not something that holds power in and of itself, but only has as much power as people perceive it does, ignoring all the other issues like Quentyn's lack of attractiveness (though funnily, official art doesn't really depict him as such, which suggests the artist missed the point) and anything resembling charisma or a personality, which again means his mission is doomed to failure. Of course, the whole point of a story is to entertain, and Quentyn's 'interesting aspects' ensure he doesn't.

Quentyn not being a POV and just being a little side character found dead in the dragon pit would've been funny but he works as a POV for the reasons you listed for sure. I think GRRM very much intends for Doran and Quentyn to be idiots because for the most part, all of the other schemers do quite well for themselves, but the Martells can be used an example of it not working.

Plus his accidental release of the dragons will cause Brown Ben Plumm to re-enlist with Dany's side as the fighting starts plus will have them out in the open for when Victarion pulls up and toots his horn. Seems like a big deal imo.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Cersei is quite the schemer and her poo poo is most def not working at the moment.

Edit: I hope Victarions horn really does work and nets him one dragon and forces Kelly C's hand (into his pants) in order to keep the set complete.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 13, 2014

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

Quentyn would have been fine as a POV if the rest of the book had more momentum for the rest of the plot. Quentyn is on a futile journey, and that's the point of his arc. It just sucks that there is not more forward momentum for our other characters to compare it to. Instead, Quentyn becomes a microcosm of the pointlessness of Dance.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

mkay0 posted:

Quentyn becomes a microcosm of the pointlessness of Dance.

Goddamn that is so true.

meandering journey, new side characters no one gives a poo poo about, lots of Mereen poo poo no one cares about, seemingly builds to a climax where like 1 neat thing happens and teases a much much cooler situation to (never) come.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Cersei is quite the schemer and her poo poo is most def not working at the moment.

Edit: I hope Victarions horn really does work and nets him one dragon and forces Kelly C's hand (into his pants) in order to keep the set complete.

Victarion is an idiot who thinks the horn must be "claimed with blood" means he needs to rub his blood on it and not that you need to kill the owner to claim it. His thralls will die and Euron will get a dragon.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

Victarion is an idiot who thinks the horn must be "claimed with blood" means he needs to rub his blood on it and not that you need to kill the owner to claim it. His thralls will die and Euron will get a dragon.

Ooo nice

I forgot about all the very legalese verbage in all of GRRM's prophecies. The true God in this world must be a criminal defense lawyer.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
I don't get it: if the horn binds a dragon to you, but the horn also makes you die, how does it make your master get a dragon?

What if the horn blower is a greedy idiot who thinks "gently caress the greyjoys, I want the dragons"--does that make the dragons bound to the dead horn blower and no one else?

How does the horn know who is your serjent and who you're leal to?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
That seems to be the problem 24/7 urkel found a solution to.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

visceril posted:

I don't get it: if the horn binds a dragon to you, but the horn also makes you die, how does it make your master get a dragon?

What if the horn blower is a greedy idiot who thinks "gently caress the greyjoys, I want the dragons"--does that make the dragons bound to the dead horn blower and no one else?

In Dance Vicatarion asks the red priest Moqorro about this, and his response is that the dragon is bound to the owner of the horn, not the one who blows it, and the horn is bound by blood.

So maybe you spill your own blood on/in the horn to claim ownership? The sound of the horn draws the dragon but the scent of the blood signifies its master?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

TK-42-1 posted:

The problem with Quentyn is that he's in Essos where fun goes to poo poo in a field.

Dany was never fun.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

Dany was never fun.

She ruled in ASoS

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

mkay0 posted:

She ruled in ASoS

I was so excited for her back then :(

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

Kylaer posted:

This is GRRM we're talking about. She was 11 or 12.

Well I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. What little there is.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

p.crestmont posted:

In Dance Vicatarion asks the red priest Moqorro about this, and his response is that the dragon is bound to the owner of the horn, not the one who blows it, and the horn is bound by blood.

So maybe you spill your own blood on/in the horn to claim ownership? The sound of the horn draws the dragon but the scent of the blood signifies its master?

Oh now

Makes sense--hahaha this is totally what happens: an Ironborn not realizing he has to pay the Iron Price for the horn

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014

Franz von Dada posted:

I was so excited for her back then :(

I was so excited for everyone after reading ASOS but now Im fairly confident it will remain the series high-point until the end.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

I somehow missed this, but yeah this is definitely what's going to happen.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
Sansa is going to win the game of thrones.

:lemoncake: Team Sansa :lemoncake:

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

Franz von Dada posted:

Sansa is going to win the game of thrones.

:lemoncake: Team Sansa :lemoncake:

QUEEN IN THE NORTH

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I was going to make a joke about how by the time we get to the end of this series, Sophie will be playing a real-scale mockup of the Wall, but then I looked it up. She's only 5'9".

The second-tallest woman on this show is only 5'9". Jesus. :psyduck:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

mkay0 posted:

QUEEN IN THE NORTH

Then Arya can kill her, Bran can become the new Night's King, Jon can sit the Iron Throne with Dany, and Rickon can take over the north. A place for everything and everything in its place.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

This is glorious:

http://www.clickhole.com/blogpost/when-i-started-writing-game-thrones-i-didnt-know-w-292

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I was going to make a joke about how by the time we get to the end of this series, Sophie will be playing a real-scale mockup of the Wall, but then I looked it up. She's only 5'9".

The second-tallest woman on this show is only 5'9". Jesus. :psyduck:

That's pretty tall for a girl, though. That's the average male height in the US.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
How often is the height on the Google search updated anyway?

If that's her actual present-day height, I don't know if they should have her in such high shoes on set if Aidan Gillen is 5'10".

Lycus fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 14, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This is onion levels of "I'm not sure if this is real".

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lycus posted:

If that's her actual present-day height, I don't know if they should have her in such high shoes on set if Aidan Gillen is 5'10".

The kiss scene was priceless because I got the sense that yeah she's a child and that's nasty but it looked like she could have made a fist and driven him into the snow with it.

Actually I guess it makes it double nasty that she didn't hit him because, well I'm gonna stop thinking about this.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

Lycus posted:

Male actors constantly round their height up, his height is hardly definitively 5'10"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Sophie Turner just rounded her height down from 6'0.1" to 5'9".

Lycus fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 15, 2014

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Aurain posted:

This is onion levels of "I'm not sure if this is real".

It's run by The Onion.

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

01100110 01110101 01100011 01101011 01100101 01110010

Lycus posted:

his head is still significantly bigger

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

lol

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

with the way the show is making totally explicit things the books hinted at, like oberyn's bisexuality, i won't be surprised when the novice gravedigger pulls his hood aside and winks at the camera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

visceril posted:

Well, the only person who has so far blown the horn got his insides charred. Daenerys (and possibly past Valyrians) are resistant/immune to fire. Perhaps they, and only they, can blow the horns and live.