Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

This sad thing is, that this is literally canon, when a much better explanation is 'Han was bullshitting in an attempt to wangle a higher fee out of the gullible old man'. You can see Obi-Wan smirking and not buying it in that very scene.

I had a similar reaction to a scene in Episode 3 where Palpatine tells Anakin a story about Darth Plageous; a sith dude who learned how to stop people from dying. The EU went and apparently made him a super powerful sith lord, but I always got the feeling Palps was just spinning some bs to play off Anakin's super obvious obsession with his loved ones not dying. Isnt it a little convenient he just happened to have the perfect solution to all Anakin's problems?

IIRC, he even says later that he doesn't know how to do it but if you keep doing what I say we'll totally figure it out. Trust me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Just saw Now You See Me, with Woody Harrelson, Isla Fisher, Jesse Eisenberg and so on. And I enjoyed it, even if the whole thing was far fetched, as of right now I'm feeling pretty well satisfied in that it covered all its angles well and isn't full of plot holes.

The one thing that's irking the poo poo out of me is Michael Caine's character, who funds their magic shows. And one show he funds is to fake a bank robbery in Paris. And I just can't get my head around him spending the millions it would take to go through all the set up and logistics for an audience that is only a couple of hundred, maybe a thousand people at best. There's just no way he'd come close to breaking even. So gently caress you, Now You See Me, for that part at least.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Apropos of nothing, but I loving love the Cloud to Butt extension sometimes:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I thought the idea of a fear based military was pretty cool, with the at-at being a completely pointless but terrifying weapon. if they just put a few side guns on the thing and a couple underneath it would still be silly but it would make sense in a "holy poo poo that stomping noise is a loving building on legs oh god" type of way.

The prototype AT-ATs we see in Episode III do have wider firing arcs. I think it's just indicative of Palpatine not giving a poo poo about the military for anything more than show. His ultimate plan was always the Death Star.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

ninjahedgehog posted:

Apropos of nothing, but I loving love the Cloud to Butt extension sometimes:

Butt city is a gas mining colony. That's perfect.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Star wars.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Gaunab posted:

Star wars.

its pretty dumb but i wasted many years of my childhood loving it and now this knowledge is still in my brain

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Gaunab posted:

Star wars.

"Straw warts" is a palindrome. That is more interesting that just about any Star Wars tactical realism :goonsay:

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Lead Psychiatry posted:

Just saw Now You See Me, with Woody Harrelson, Isla Fisher, Jesse Eisenberg and so on. And I enjoyed it, even if the whole thing was far fetched, as of right now I'm feeling pretty well satisfied in that it covered all its angles well and isn't full of plot holes.

The one thing that's irking the poo poo out of me is Michael Caine's character, who funds their magic shows. And one show he funds is to fake a bank robbery in Paris. And I just can't get my head around him spending the millions it would take to go through all the set up and logistics for an audience that is only a couple of hundred, maybe a thousand people at best. There's just no way he'd come close to breaking even. So gently caress you, Now You See Me, for that part at least.

He would have only funded building the fake vault which given that it was fake would maybe cost $10k. That venue was way more than a few hundred people, probably more like a couple thousand which at what is probably an average $100 per ticket is quite a bit of money.

The rest of the cost to pull of the heist would have likely been covered by the magicians.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The thing that really bugged me about that movie was that they couldn't decide whether they wanted the magic to be realistic or over the top. So there's stuff like a big part of the plot involving a mirror box but then you have Isla Fisher flying around in a big CG bubble.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The thing that bugged the crap out of me was Eisenberg. God drat I get it, he's a nerdy guy but why the gently caress does he have to monologue in every loving film he is in?

It's what's killing me about Batman Vs Superman.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

muscles like this? posted:

The thing that really bugged me about that movie was that they couldn't decide whether they wanted the magic to be realistic or over the top. So there's stuff like a big part of the plot involving a mirror box but then you have Isla Fisher flying around in a big CG bubble.

I figured they were gonna explain how they did things like turning into cash but nope. Guess that's the point.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Being a part of the Imperial fleet sucked once Luke and the gang started wrecking house but it seemed to me that prior to that it was a great gig. The implication in that early scene in A New Hope is that the Emperor hasn't been all that hands on and Vader hasn't either in terms of meting out discipline. That one guy felt like he could get way with mouthing off to him before getting a like force choke action.

It's one of the things I liked about TESB, Vader went absolutely apeshit because they couldn't catch Solo/Luke and just mowed through Admirals in his rage. All that "All too easy" and other stuff was for show, he was desperate to regain control of the entire situation.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Action Tortoise posted:

I figured they were gonna explain how they did things like turning into cash but nope. Guess that's the point.

Holograms and confetti cannons. They were actually jumping off the other side of the roof - that's why the cop wasn't hitting them when he fired at them. Holograms! :gonk:

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
While we're on Star Wars here's something I don't understand: why bother with a death star? It would take trillions of $Space, why not just nuke 'em? Failing that pushing asteroids into a planet or causing seismic activity, both seem like ideas that would be magnitudes cheaper than a death star.

I mean what are they the American military?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Bushmaori posted:

There's a poor Vietnam War allegory in Star Wars, so yes. Basically.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

WoodrowSkillson posted:

its pretty dumb but i wasted many years of my childhood loving it and now this knowledge is still in my brain
Well whose fault is that?

It's mine. I used the force to manipulate you into reading stupid poo poo for Baby Einstein dropouts.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Bushmaori posted:

While we're on Star Wars here's something I don't understand: why bother with a death star? It would take trillions of $Space, why not just nuke 'em? Failing that pushing asteroids into a planet or causing seismic activity, both seem like ideas that would be magnitudes cheaper than a death star.

Because the first Star Wars movie would have been about six minutes long and not included that kickass trench run scene.

For content:
Riddick was a halfway decent, dumb action movie, but there's one part that just infuriates me. They shoot Riddick's wolf with a barium dart or whatever it was so they can track it back to Riddick, knowing it will run home when injured. How in the hell did they know that the wolf was Riddick's? Also, the one woman in the entire movie, who happens to be a lesbian, suddenly gets all hot for Riddick after he manages to not die. "Riddick has proven his alpha-ness. Suddenly I am no longer a lesbian!" But I guess that's a whole other can of worms.

Now that I think more about it, Riddick sucked and I'm ashamed to admit I spent five bucks renting it on Amazon.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Eh, it was a GREAT Riddick movie, but a kinda crap sci fi film. Just a higher budget retread of Pitch Black.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

HairyManling posted:

Because the first Star Wars movie would have been about six minutes long and not included that kickass trench run scene.

For content:
Riddick was a halfway decent, dumb action movie, but there's one part that just infuriates me. They shoot Riddick's wolf with a barium dart or whatever it was so they can track it back to Riddick, knowing it will run home when injured. How in the hell did they know that the wolf was Riddick's? Also, the one woman in the entire movie, who happens to be a lesbian, suddenly gets all hot for Riddick after he manages to not die. "Riddick has proven his alpha-ness. Suddenly I am no longer a lesbian!" But I guess that's a whole other can of worms.

Now that I think more about it, Riddick sucked and I'm ashamed to admit I spent five bucks renting it on Amazon.

They made it pretty clear that he and Dahl didn't do anything, she was just messing with him because of his whole prophecy thing. Because if you pay close attention, you'll notice nothing in his little prophecy happens the way he says it will. That's why at the end he says "keep it warm for me", he's implying that he wants to make another attempt to get in her pants someday.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Eh, it was a GREAT Riddick movie, but a kinda crap sci fi film. Just a higher budget retread of Pitch Black.

In the creators defense, after Chronicles everyone everywhere started bitching that they wanted Pitch Black again. So that's what the writers gave'em. I for one thought Chronicles was an extremely well made, epic sci-fi opera that just oozed personality. The movie blew me away. But I seem to be alone in that regard.

Esroc has a new favorite as of 07:59 on Jun 13, 2014

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Esroc posted:

In the creators defense, after Chronicles everyone everywhere started bitching that they wanted Pitch Black again. So that's what the writers gave'em. I for one thought Chronicles was an extremely well made, epic sci-fi opera that just oozed personality. The movie blew me away. But I seem to be alone in that regard.

No, you're not. I was hoping for a continuation of Chronicles. Chronicles was somewhat overwrought, but I liked where they were going, and was hoping the next one would become the sci-fi equivalent sequel of where the end of Conan The Barbarian was heading. Protagonist face-palming while sitting on the throne motif. I get what you're saying about about Dahl, but it still irrationally irritated me.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I got the impression that Dahl was straight, she was just a professional and had no interest in "loving dudes". Like, she was there to do her job, not get raped by a disgusting piece of poo poo.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Kruller posted:

I got the impression that Dahl was straight, she was just a professional and had no interest in "loving dudes". Like, she was there to do her job, not get raped by a disgusting piece of poo poo.

Ok, I concede this point. But what about the god drat wolf? No one had any reason to believe it was Riddick's wolf!

HairyManling has a new favorite as of 08:29 on Jun 13, 2014

BlackCircle
Oct 21, 2005

I did Nazi that butt coming

HairyManling posted:

Ok, I concede this point. But what about the god drat wolf? No one had any reason to believe it was Riddick's wolf!

Is it actually said that its Riddicks wolf? Maybe they just shot it with a dart to make it go to the cave it hangs out in because that might be the most logical spot for Riddick to hide in.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Didn't the wolf attack some of the mercs with Riddick when they first arrived?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bushmaori posted:

The point of the Death Star is that it's scary, not that it's practical. It exists more of a demonstration of the empire's power than as a thing that they'd actually use. Everyone knows that space ships and nuclear bombs exist, using them wouldn't be a useful demonstration because it would be just more oppression, more likely to help the rebels than hinder them. Completely obliterating a planet was something no one had ever been able to do before, it feels like a game changer even if it actually isn't in a practical sense. The Empire wasn't even at war with any planets. Actually destroying planets isn't of any value to them in itself, but it does make people sit up and take notice.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Tiggum posted:

The point of the Death Star is that it's scary, not that it's practical. It exists more of a demonstration of the empire's power than as a thing that they'd actually use. Everyone knows that space ships and nuclear bombs exist, using them wouldn't be a useful demonstration because it would be just more oppression, more likely to help the rebels than hinder them. Completely obliterating a planet was something no one had ever been able to do before, it feels like a game changer even if it actually isn't in a practical sense. The Empire wasn't even at war with any planets. Actually destroying planets isn't of any value to them in itself, but it does make people sit up and take notice.

Another reason that I always presumed was that Alderaan was just a demonstration; the ship's not actually meant to destroy planets. It's just that, if it can blow away a planet in one shot and could be kept grouped with the rest of the main fleet, no other ship or fleet would stand a chance.

For those of you who played Freespace 2: the Death Star is to the Empire what the Sathanas is to the Shivans.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is 17 years enough time for people to stop believing in a religion? The space admiral in the first movie says that no one believes in Vader's dead religion, but that guy was pretty old, he had to have been around when the Jedi were, or at least heard stories about Jedis. Jesus hasn't done anything in 2014 years and people still believe in him.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The admiral is an atheist redditor

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It's also a religion where the believers have magic powers. If every priest could shoot lightning or levitate stuff, you'd see a lot less atheists.

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Is 17 years enough time for people to stop believing in a religion? The space admiral in the first movie says that no one believes in Vader's dead religion, but that guy was pretty old, he had to have been around when the Jedi were, or at least heard stories about Jedis. Jesus hasn't done anything in 2014 years and people still believe in him.

If you remove that movie from the later context and just go on what's said, jedis were unheard of and Vader was just some creepy rear end in a top hat in a weird suit. That doesn't even change much in empire or jedi, either. It wasn't until the EU made everyone and their dog a force user and the prequel movies made darth vader into the most important thing ever that this hole opens up, but man, it sure does swallow a big portion of what made the jedi so mysterious and cool.

The lesson here is the same as always: nerds ruin everything

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Didn't the prequel movies and Clone Wars cartoon show the Jedi as a rather small order that was mostly based out of one or two planets? I imagine once you're off of Coruscant, the chances that you'll ever be on the same continent as a Jedi are slim to none. Not hard to believe a military commander would believe it's a phony religion with smoke and mirrors.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Varjon posted:

If you remove that movie from the later context and just go on what's said, jedis were unheard of and Vader was just some creepy rear end in a top hat in a weird suit. That doesn't even change much in empire or jedi, either. It wasn't until the EU made everyone and their dog a force user and the prequel movies made darth vader into the most important thing ever that this hole opens up, but man, it sure does swallow a big portion of what made the jedi so mysterious and cool.

The lesson here is the same as always: nerds ruin everything

Eh, not quite. Obi Wan even talks about the wars and stuff, so you'd think that he would've at least been aware of the magical power users jumping around the galaxy.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

nucleicmaxid posted:

Eh, not quite. Obi Wan even talks about the wars and stuff, so you'd think that he would've at least been aware of the magical power users jumping around the galaxy.
I thought Darth Vader went on a personal quest to wipe out every force user. This is how in just a few years the Jedi/Sith go from being literally everywhere to a nothing more than a myth. Assuming they're all dead or in hiding and then give it twenty years or so for Luke to grow up it wouldn't be strange to think that normal people wouldn't believe in hocus pocus.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
If you look at Meiji-era Japan or Communist-controlled China you can see how religions and social institutions can vanish in less than a generation, it's really not that unbelievable that the Jedi could vanish in a similar span of time.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

...of SCIENCE! posted:

If you look at Meiji-era Japan or Communist-controlled China you can see how religions and social institutions can vanish in less than a generation, it's really not that unbelievable that the Jedi could vanish in a similar span of time.

The USSR was not fond of religion but new Russia is apparently nuts for it.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I guess it sort of makes sense if the Empire went whole hog into supressing any knowledge or remants of Jedi, but this guy was on a capitol ship with Darth Vader. He never saw him force choke someone during a teleconference or do any other space magic?

Were they also just going to kill any force sensitive kids that popped up, or were they going restart the Sith Academy or something?

Also why are there only two Sith, a Master and an Apprentice? Why would you apprentice someone you know is going to eventually kill you and take your place?

This is the smallest problem with the Phantom Menace but at Qui Gon Al Ghul's funeral they are all sitting like 4 feet away from a burning bodie. A fire has to be incredibly hot to reduce a body to ash but no one seems to even be sweating,not to mention the horrendous smell.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I guess it sort of makes sense if the Empire went whole hog into supressing any knowledge or remants of Jedi, but this guy was on a capitol ship with Darth Vader. He never saw him force choke someone during a teleconference or do any other space magic?

Were they also just going to kill any force sensitive kids that popped up, or were they going restart the Sith Academy or something?

Also why are there only two Sith, a Master and an Apprentice? Why would you apprentice someone you know is going to eventually kill you and take your place?

This is the smallest problem with the Phantom Menace but at Qui Gon Al Ghul's funeral they are all sitting like 4 feet away from a burning bodie. A fire has to be incredibly hot to reduce a body to ash but no one seems to even be sweating,not to mention the horrendous smell.
Because George Lucas is an awful storyteller and has horrendous instincts.

quote:

George Lucas: I was thinking that this old guy could have been the mentor. He could have known this little girl when she was just a kid. Had an affair with her when she was eleven.

Lawrence Kasdan: And he was forty-two.

George Lucas: He hasn’t seen her in twelve years. Now she’s twenty-two. It’s a real strange relationship.

Steven Spielberg: She had better be older than twenty-two.

George Lucas: He’s thirty-five, and he knew her ten years ago when he was twenty-five and she was only twelve. It would be amusing to make her slightly young at the time.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
I'm not touching the other stuff, but them some bad math skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mister Nobody posted:

I'm not touching the other stuff, but them some bad math skills.

Lucas was the one responsible for the seemingly throw-away line about Indiana Jones' ex saying "I was a child" but then it turns out he really wrote her as a child in the timeline. Like 12 or something.