Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Baron Bifford posted:

In most Warhammer art, I think none of the artists thought to first draw a human form, then draw armor over it. This was pretty apparent to me in the Dawn of War games.

This artist at DeviantArt designed power armor around the human form.

Not gonna lie this looks terrible and not very 40kish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Baron Bifford posted:

In most Warhammer art, I think none of the artists thought to first draw a human form, then draw armor over it. This was pretty apparent to me in the Dawn of War games.
thats rather the point. In the future things are so lovely and dire we have to distort and mangle our children into monsters just to have a chance.

quote:

This artist at DeviantArt designed power armor around the human form.

more abstract from this debate and a general power armor art critique: the problem with designing it around the human form is that means the human skeleton is carrying the weight of it. You either need to go the Star Wars/Crysis way where you are reduced to a nervous system and a few organs in a metal body, or you end up with something like the real life exoskeleton/Aliens power lifter where it caries itself and the person is piloting it through a series of pre programmed moves that allow it to do things with the frame bearing the stress.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

vigorous sodomy posted:

Not gonna lie this looks terrible and not very 40kish.

It looks like a poor man's Enclave power armor.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
I can't get over how exposed the belly is.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

SRM posted:

It looks like a poor man's Enclave power armor.

I was just thinking it was very Fallout looking.

And nobody would think "oh, I'll just cover this exposed part of myself with explosives and my weapons that are not designed to provide me with armor protection."

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

vigorous sodomy posted:

I was just thinking it was very Fallout looking.

And nobody would think "oh, I'll just cover this exposed part of myself with explosives and my weapons that are not designed to provide me with armor protection."

Yeah that seemed like a great way to get a [chainaxe/eldar sword/tyranid claw/CHOPPA!] through the gut.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

vigorous sodomy posted:

Yes, but the Imperium is a place where looking cool is how things get done! After all, this is an army which encourages people to fight laser guns with swords and powerfists! Walking around with explosive ammunition strapped to your belly is just part of doing business in the 41st millennium.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

This website has another fun look at 'realistic' space marine designs and concepts.

http://www.philipsibbering.com/wh40k/10-01-marine-morphology.shtml

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Deptfordx posted:

This website has another fun look at 'realistic' space marine designs and concepts.

there is absolutely nothing 'fun' about any of this

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Deptfordx posted:

what the poo poo is this

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
The Warhammer Technical Commentaries.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Deptfordx posted:

I like how he swaps between "trial" and "trail" and the blocks of Text text text text

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Nephilm posted:

I can't get over how exposed the belly is.

I cant get over the spelling of 'patern'

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Deptfordx posted:

I am somewhat surprised that the author didn't devolve into discussing "Do space marines have gentials? And do they work?"

Do space marines poop?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Deptfordx posted:

im the basketball player 7'6 350 lol wtf

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Waroduce posted:

im the basketball player 7'6 350 lol wtf

Eh, Shaq is 7'1" and 325. Close enough

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Deptfordx posted:

I like the second illustration where he manages to fit a relatively believable marine physique inside power armor that resembles the in-universe silhouette, but then he starts asspulling all this stuff and it's like what no stop while you're ahead

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I remember seeing this images in a White Dwarf or another GW publication, so it's probable that they are official material, except maybe for the last one, which seems edited by this guy.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
He's the guy who did the False Gods cover art you hella nerds.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Nice to see someone take a shot at it, although I thought the model they did for the new Lord Inquisitor movie was better. Half the reason I enjoy 40k so much is that while it has a lot of "SCIENCE AS MAGIC" that is common in Sci-Fi, it is one of the few settings that takes the time to acknowledge just how complicated these things would need to be. As far as super-soldiers go I am pretty it has the most convoluted method of creation, but you can at least tell someone was putting some effort into the process.

Take Captain America for example, who pretty much gets his strength from magic-steroids. I imagine when they were coming up with Space Marine origins someone in the room said, "so why don't their massive muscles crush their own skeletons" and poo poo just rolled along from there.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'd really like to see a cross section of a suit of Terminator armor if anyone has anything like that. The helmet especially makes very little sense to me.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

jng2058 posted:

1 = This will, of course, never happen. Because it's become quite clear that the 40k universe will never actually advance beyond M40.999. Aaron Dembski-Bowden had a line about that in one of his novels, where one characterizes M40 as "the last millenium before the endless black" which is just a snarky way of commenting that GW will never do Warhammer 41,000.
It's not snarky, The Endless Black refers to "The Time of Ending." It pretty much signifies that the (tenuous) grip humanity had on the galaxy is slipping and poo poo is going downhill fast. The 40K Wiki has a pretty good entry on the events and the reason for the name.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

AndyElusive posted:

I'd really like to see a cross section of a suit of Terminator armor if anyone has anything like that. The helmet especially makes very little sense to me.

Yeah, the arms seem to high up on the body. Maybe the pauldrons are what gives me this impression, but it seems like the head is set way to low. Then again there are people who make actually suits of terminator armor for cosplay, and they fit in the drat things.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Uroboros posted:

Yeah, the arms seem to high up on the body. Maybe the pauldrons are what gives me this impression, but it seems like the head is set way to low. Then again there are people who make actually suits of terminator armor for cosplay, and they fit in the drat things.

Yeah there was that guy who did the amazing Imperial Fists one the other year.

As for the arms being high, the armor on those things is really thick right? So at the armpits you'd have double the amount of material between your arm and chest. To pull that off you'd probably need to walk around with your shoulders hunched up so you had room. It would be almost like trying to carry a box under each arm. And I just gave this more thought than the artists do

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
The shoulders appear a lot higher than they actually are, look at a model without the pauldrons on.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I read that worship of the Emperor in the Imperium varies a lot from world to world. The Ecclesiarchy tolerates some variety because it is futile and dangerous to impose a rigid standard across a million worlds. What are the minimum requirements for a denomination to be non-heretical?

Uroboros posted:

If you look at those videos of cosplayers, you will see that they can barely move in those things. Often, they walk on stilts, and those hands are fake.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 14, 2014

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Baron Bifford posted:

I read that worship of the Emperor in the Imperium varies a lot from world to world. The Ecclesiarchy tolerates some variety because it is futile and dangerous to impose a rigid standard across a million worlds. What are the minimum requirements for a denomination to be non-heretical?

Don't worship Chaos.

That's pretty much it. You can take nearly any pantheon and just say that the primary deity is really the Emperor and any lesser ones are Imperial Saints and just roll with it. That's one of the major remits of Ordo Hereticus, as well as certain Ecclesiarchical institutions, which is to vet a newly integrated world's beliefs and weed out anything that seems too strongly Khorne, Tzeentch, Slaanesh, or Nurgle.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 14, 2014

iminay
Dec 18, 2012
Has anyone read any of the Bastion Wars novels by Henry Zou? The BL just now released an omnibus of all three books and I was wondering if it's worth picking up or not?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

iminay posted:

Has anyone read any of the Bastion Wars novels by Henry Zou? The BL just now released an omnibus of all three books and I was wondering if it's worth picking up or not?

dont read zou

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

iminay posted:

I recommend you instead find out what the original author called them and read them instead.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

It'd be nice to know about all the literary thefts in Black Library novels, is there a list somewhere?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
It's probably safe to assume it's not exactly a systemic thing. The Zhou thing is the first thing I've heard of.

iminay
Dec 18, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

I recommend you instead find out what the original author called them and read them instead.

Ouch, just did some more researching, and this guy seems to lift whole passages from other books left and right. Thanks for the heads up.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

It'd be nice to know about all the literary thefts in Black Library novels, is there a list somewhere?

What do you mean by thefts? In Unremembered Empire, the last half of the book is pretty much the good terminator films, but I would hardly call that theft. Zou, now... Zou stole.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
At this threads high recommendation I've picked up and have started reading the Ciaphas Cain novels. Can someone give me a primer on the Tau? Most of the other races in 40k seem bent on destruction or are just omega dicks but the Tau don't seem too bad from what I've seen in Cain. Are they also secretly dicks?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

jng2058 posted:

Don't worship Chaos.

That's pretty much it. You can take nearly any pantheon and just say that the primary deity is really the Emperor and any lesser ones are Imperial Saints and just roll with it. That's one of the major remits of Ordo Hereticus, as well as certain Ecclesiarchical institutions, which is to vet a newly integrated world's beliefs and weed out anything that seems too strongly Khorne, Tzeentch, Slaanesh, or Nurgle.

Couldn't you spin a shitload of religions as being too Chaos, though? I mean take something like the classical Greek pantheon. Sure a reasonable person will look at it and realize that there aren't actually tentacles coming out of everything, but a core conceit is that the imperium isn't run by reasonable people. I'm fairly certain that an Inquisitor having a bad day, or just with an axe to grind, could point at Dionysus, say "Slaanesh!" and start burning people, and if there was ever any oversight to their actions it would probably ultimately nod and conclude that it was best to be on the safe side.

This ends up getting the Imperium coming and going, too, because guess what the Dionysian cult that's now in hiding is going to do? Chances are any day now they're going to get a "call" from someone who sympathizes with them and is willing to help them find the power to retake their belief systems. They don't even have to change much of anything about their philosophy, just make things a little bit more... excessive.

The thing about being paranoid about Chaos in the 40k vein is that you end up criminalizing a lot of things and calling out the hounds every time you need a scapegoat to be torn to pieces. The remaining ones dive underground or become reactionary because they're so stigmatized. It's actually an excellent satire of real-world moral panic, even if it's probably giving GW too much credit to call it intentional.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 15, 2014

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

At this threads high recommendation I've picked up and have started reading the Ciaphas Cain novels. Can someone give me a primer on the Tau? Most of the other races in 40k seem bent on destruction or are just omega dicks but the Tau don't seem too bad from what I've seen in Cain. Are they also secretly dicks?

Yes.

Everybody is a dick in the 40k universe, except the greenskins, Orks just wanna have fun.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Tau are "good", in that they hide their mass sterilization campaigns and imperialism slightly better than the guys screaming about how all aliens must be destroyed.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

VanSandman posted:

What do you mean by thefts? In Unremembered Empire, the last half of the book is pretty much the good terminator films, but I would hardly call that theft. Zou, now... Zou stole.

So just Zou, then.
I had the impression that it was more prevalent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

VanSandman posted:

"Good artists copy, great artists steal"

Seriously though there is a difference between drawing from great tension building action sequences and copying something near word for word