Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

HonorableTB posted:

you guys are being trolled

they'll be very relieved to find out 3 years later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

DrPop posted:

Tyrion's "whitewashing" was really strange. Guess his character's gonna change from how emo he was in the books from this point on.

I can't help but see this as a good thing. I had more than enough of Tyrion moping about where whores go, I'm so mad at Jaime, etc, completely ineffectually in the fifth book.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Weiss: I would call him Lawful Neutral.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/15/game-of-thrones-showrunners-on-season-4-finale-twists/

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

equity posted:

they'll be very relieved to find out 3 years later

lol

gently caress dude how long was that tab open?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't know what is worse, the ignorance of Tywin telling the Mountain pillage anything and everything in his way, murder children and basically turn a blind eye to rape and murder because he benefits from it and calling that lawful, or trying to fit a character in a series that deals in shades of grey into a morality chart.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Michelle Fairley was busy filming 24 when this season was being filmed, I imagine.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I almost want Aegon to be real just so that speech would also be real. It was by far my favorite part of ADWD.

P.S. Desperately seeking gif of Stannis not giving a gently caress about the wildling making a run at him

Not very good quality, I'm afraid it was a bit of a rush job.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Aurain posted:

Sansa's a little behind the show because we know a little about how Petyr is intending to solidify his hold on the Eyrie in the books, though they have diverged from it.
That said, it's only one or two Sansa scenes worth of material and then they're ahead and they could cover that in a single episode with ease.

Don't act like you don't know that they are going to fill the time with a bunch of scenes of Littlefinger leering at her creepily while expositing about random plots.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Warmed my cockles anyways, thanks!

Here's a cool interview with the director of last nights ep:

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Game-Thrones-Finale-Postmortem-Children-1083048.aspx

The skeleton warriors were a purposeful reference to Harryhausen, Stannis cavalry shots were on a pretty strict budget. Edit: Gotta agree with the take on the Hound/Brienne/Arya scene, that one stuck with me for all the exact reasons mentioned. It's such a perfect way to set up Arya losing all ties to Westeros, remind everyone that she has exactly no one to save her and nowhere to go, exposes the fact that Brienne is on an idiots quest for a bunch of dead people and the assholes who killed them in the first place, gives the hound an actual explicit scene of finally saying he's doing the knightly thing and protecting a young girl who's got nothing left.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 16, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Was Davos beyond the wall?

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
^^^
I didn't say it earlier but I did get a real Clash of the Titans vibe from the skeletons. Cool that it was intentional I guess

Just had a thought: Tyrion and Jaime both saved the kingdom, and nobody knows they did it or even cares that they did.

I think thematically it makes sense for something similar to happen re: the cold ones. To that end, probably either Bran, Jon, or Arya will save the realm and some Targ will get the credit.

I really want Bran to save the entire world, something a bunch of armies, kings, and even dragons can't do, as a tree. I just love the message that the little guy is the most important

visceril fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 16, 2014

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Aurain posted:

I don't know what is worse, the ignorance of Tywin telling the Mountain pillage anything and everything in his way, murder children and basically turn a blind eye to rape and murder because he benefits from it and calling that lawful, or trying to fit a character in a series that deals in shades of grey into a morality chart.

Well, to be fair, I do think that alignments in D&D, when used by a skillful player or DM, can be less set-in-stone bonds to a character's behavior and more an "average" of that character's moral and ethical choices. But yeah, I do think the call on his alignment is off - Tywin's the ultimate Lawful Evil character, as far as I'm concerned. He has a vision for the Seven Kingdoms, and if that vision were to actually play itself out perfectly, it would almost certainly be better for everybody in the country than the current chaotic state of affairs. The two problems with this are, 1, he only wants this to happen if he gets to be Zeus atop Olympus while his vision plays out; and 2, he's willing to order any manner of evil poo poo as long as it helps fulfill his long-term goals.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Kurtofan posted:

Was Davos beyond the wall?

Yep

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

visceril posted:

Just had a thought: Tyrion and Jaime both saved the kingdom, and nobody knows they did it or even cares that they did.

Tyrion didn't save the kingdom. He saved King's Landing for the Lannisters and Tyrells. It's up for debate whether that was good for the general populace of the city.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Warmed my cockles anyways, thanks!

Here's a cool interview with the director of last nights ep:

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Game-Thrones-Finale-Postmortem-Children-1083048.aspx

The skeleton warriors were a purposeful reference to Harryhausen, Stannis cavalry shots were on a pretty strict budget. Edit: Gotta agree with the take on the Hound/Brienne/Arya scene, that one stuck with me for all the exact reasons mentioned. It's such a perfect way to set up Arya losing all ties to Westeros, remind everyone that she has exactly no one to save her and nowhere to go, exposes the fact that Brienne is on an idiots quest for a bunch of dead people and the assholes who killed them in the first place, gives the hound an actual explicit scene of finally saying he's doing the knightly thing and protecting a young girl who's got nothing left.

That exchange between Brienne and the Hound when she asks "So, are you going to protect her" "Aye, I am" was better than any of the cut iconic dialogue book readers have whinged about

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Junkenstein posted:

Tyrion didn't save the kingdom. He saved King's Landing for the Lannisters and Tyrells. It's up for debate whether that was good for the general populace of the city.

Given how medieval sacks of cities inevitably played out, regardless of the intentions of their commander, I think we can safely say that Tyrion saving King's Landing was good for the general populace.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
The whole Tysha thing was important, in the books, where a large chunk of the narrative takes place from Tyrion and later Jaime's viewpoints. That's something you really can't translate to the TV medium: everyone going off on inner monologues would ruin the show and turn it into a parody of a hard boiled detective show. So we get third person viewpoints, which means things have to be changed, and hence things have to be cut. It's better to remove them then try and force them and end up with an inferior result.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Cornwind Evil posted:

The whole Tysha thing was important, in the books, where a large chunk of the narrative takes place from Tyrion and later Jaime's viewpoints. That's something you really can't translate to the TV medium: everyone going off on inner monologues would ruin the show and turn it into a parody of a hard boiled detective show. So we get third person viewpoints, which means things have to be changed, and hence things have to be cut. It's better to remove them then try and force them and end up with an inferior result.

This is correct.

Also this

Mike N Eich posted:

That exchange between Brienne and the Hound when she asks "So, are you going to protect her" "Aye, I am" was better than any of the cut iconic dialogue book readers have whinged about

Was just the best.

When the Hound was dying (he's dead deal with it) and he said he should've raped Sansa so he'd have at least one happy memory, I wanted to Arya shout 'no Sandor, you do have happy memories--with me!' And then the rain starts pouring as they gently embrace.

And then Arya loving stabs him.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

visceril posted:

When the Hound was dying (he's dead deal with it)

I'm going on believing he's the monk that Brienne meets and he finally found peace, whether the show wants to confirm that or not :colbert:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Majorian posted:

Given how medieval sacks of cities inevitably played out, regardless of the intentions of their commander, I think we can safely say that Tyrion saving King's Landing was good for the general populace.

But what if one of the most well known stories about said commander is that he even exacts justice on a man who saved his life, his family's life and everyone who lived on his islands life? And for the sake of argument pragmatic Stannis would have likely been a lot smarter about preparing the city for the coming Winter rather than drinking a bunch and trying to get people to gently caress Margaery on some paranoid revenge trip. If things keep going the way they look like they're going KL is going to be in deep poo poo when winter comes in earnest no matter who's in charge. The white Raven already landed and there's no more Iron Bank money coming in. No Littlefinger to make loans show up out of nowhere either.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 17, 2014

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I personally think that D&D asked Gurm where the Tysha storyline was going, and that in response Gurm spouted off some descriptions of the last thing he ate and then looked at his feet. D&D decided to just drop it after that.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'm pretty sure they just did what everyone did and read "where do whore's go" 40 times and then said gently caress you George get the gently caress out of here

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
"Where whores go" is going to be really important when we discover there's a secret city amidst the ruins of Valyria where the world's lost whores all congregate, and they're forming a huge army to take over the world, led by Queen Tysha.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
grrm is gonna play up all the parts they cut out on purpose in the winds of winter

holy poo poo what an opportunity:

absolute fucker posted:

A lot of the secondary prizes and extra rewards have been snapped up, however. Have no fear! We're adding more. I am donating more books and collectibles, two more breakfasts (one at San Diego Comicon, one when I am in NYC this October), and even a couple pair of my infamous suspenders (braces to you Brits).

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Stannis smirking his way around in that episode will never not be the best. He's not only the one true King, he is ~~The Mannis~~ of my heart. God I hope he wins, just to watch Stannis fight a loving dragon.

I want to watch Stannis fight a loving dragon so badly, you don't even understand

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

HookShot posted:

Michelle Fairley was busy filming 24 when this season was being filmed, I imagine.

It's possible they won't bring her back at all for it. Lady Stoneheart is a waterlogged mess at this point. Her throat is slit so she doesn't really talk and she barely moves. They could get away with some crazy make-up on some other actress that has no lines for it.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Junkenstein posted:

And barely. The peasants were starving during his region as hand. "King Bread!"

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Looked at not a blog for first time in a while, GURM is pimping some magician at his theater.

Can you imagine if it were your job to he part of his publishing house? The show is getting white hot and is HBO's biggest ever. ASoIaF is basically a 100 million dollar project now, and he is loving around with some stupid magician.

At a certain point, aren't we talking about enough money that someone needs to really apply real pressure to GURM?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I almost want Aegon to be real just so that speech would also be real. It was by far my favorite part of ADWD.

P.S. Desperately seeking gif of Stannis not giving a gently caress about the wildling making a run at him

I had to shrink it down to fit it on imgur, but here you go:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mkay0 posted:

Looked at not a blog for first time in a while, GURM is pimping some magician at his theater.

Can you imagine if it were your job to he part of his publishing house? The show is getting white hot and is HBO's biggest ever. ASoIaF is basically a 100 million dollar project now, and he is loving around with some stupid magician.

At a certain point, aren't we talking about enough money that someone needs to really apply real pressure to GURM?

Nope. They only manged to get Dance out within months of the show premiering because his editor pushed the panic button and fired the manuscript off to the printer without the ending GRRM totally had 100% written out and it was so awesome you guys, honest, no really.

ASoIaF was already a multi-million dollar project prior to Game of Thrones and not even that was enough to leverage him away from "football, cons, and WILDCARDS".

I think as of the Night's King reveal, everyone everywhere just sort of accepted that the show is guaranteed to overtake the books now by the end of next season. That made it suddenly plausible. Even GRRM has shifted away from saying he thinks the books will precede the show now to saying the books should precede the show, ideally. As in it's not in his control to decide otherwise anymore.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Nope. They only manged to get Dance out within months of the show premiering because his editor pushed the panic button and fired the manuscript off to the printer without the ending GRRM totally had 100% written out and it was so awesome you guys, honest, no really.

ASoIaF was already a multi-million dollar project prior to Game of Thrones and not even that was enough to leverage him away from "football, cons, and WILDCARDS".

I think as of the Night's King reveal, everyone everywhere just sort of accepted that the show is guaranteed to overtake the books now by the end of next season. That made it suddenly plausible. Even GRRM has shifted away from saying he thinks the books will precede the show now to saying the books should precede the show, ideally. As in it's not in his control to decide otherwise anymore.

Not to mention he recently made headlines by suggesting there should be an eighth book, and since ADWD the only pages he's written has been the stuff that was cut from ADWD.

In reality, the TV series will probably wrap up by season 9/10, and the book series will remain unfinished after GRRM dies from a heart attack when the Jets (that's his team, right?) lose a playoff game.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pentyne posted:

Not to mention he recently made headlines by suggesting there should be an eighth book, and since ADWD the only pages he's written has been the stuff that was cut from ADWD.

In reality, the TV series will probably wrap up by season 9/10, and the book series will remain unfinished after GRRM dies from a heart attack when the Jets (that's his team, right?) lose a playoff game.

If Buttfumble didn't kill him nothing football related will.

For those of you not in the know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAp57G1hLn0

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Just imagine how much waxing poetic about Daeny diarrhea we missed out on!:qq:

Intel&Sebastian posted:

But what if one of the most well known stories about said commander is that he even exacts justice on a man who saved his life, his family's life and everyone who lived on his islands life? And for the sake of argument pragmatic Stannis would have likely been a lot smarter about preparing the city for the coming Winter rather than drinking a bunch and trying to get people to gently caress Margaery on some paranoid revenge trip. If things keep going the way they look like they're going KL is going to be in deep poo poo when winter comes in earnest no matter who's in charge. The white Raven already landed and there's no more Iron Bank money coming in. No Littlefinger to make loans show up out of nowhere either.

Yeah, but after a nasty, bloody siege like that, had Stannis' forces taken the city, there's no way he could have stopped them from just raping and murdering the poo poo out of everything that breathed.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 17, 2014

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

computer parts posted:

If Buttfumble didn't kill him nothing football related will.

For those of you not in the know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAp57G1hLn0

I'm pretty sure he's a Giants fan. I however, am a Jets fan. Not sure how I survived the Mark Sanchez era.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jeffrey posted:

grrm is gonna play up all the parts they cut out on purpose in the winds of winter

l'ultime enculeur posted:

even a couple pair of my infamous suspenders (braces to you Brits)

We call them suspenders. Braces go on your teeth.

e:

EA getting on the GRRM is going to die before he finishes ASOIAF bandwagon.
You can it's only a game though because he's in close proximity to a book.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 17, 2014

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Hound vs Brienne arguably isn't in the books because it makes too much narrative sense. Two non-knights who out-knight all knights. Too tall and ugly for anyone but each other. In a better world, they'd marry. In this, they kick each other in the genitals. It's like poetry. So GRRRM thought, this is cliche, I'll have them never meet, like the Stark kids.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/16/game-of-thrones-finale-martin/

GRRM walks through Book Tyrions thought process - and I think it also highlights why Tysha was important. I can see why they dropped it from the show, but I thought it was important in the book read.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Cingulate posted:

The Hound vs Brienne arguably isn't in the books because it makes too much narrative sense. Two non-knights who out-knight all knights. Too tall and ugly for anyone but each other. In a better world, they'd marry. In this, they kick each other in the genitals. It's like poetry. So GRRRM thought, this is cliche, I'll have them never meet, like the Stark kids.

Yeah, the show deciding to actually have characters meet each other is pretty loving cool. Brienne and Jaime at the Purple Wedding was rad, Hound vs. Brienne was baller, Hot Pie meeting Pod and Brienne owned, and I'm excited for Davos to actually be at the Wall next season.

Basically any new thing they've made for Brienne on the show has been nothing but good decisions.

CPFortest fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jun 17, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

CPFortest posted:

Yeah, the show deciding to actually have characters meet each other is pretty loving cool. Brienne and Jaime at the Purple Wedding was rad, Hound vs. Brienne was baller, Hot Pie meeting Pod and Brienne owned, and I'm excited for Davos to actually be at the Wall next season.

Basically any new thing they've made for Brienne on the show has been nothing but good decisions.
I really want the Boltons to drop by the Wall, I want a Stannis/Roose scene and a Jon/Ramsey scene, brimming with tension.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jun 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cingulate posted:

If only GRRM had learnt to write poetry he could have figured out this beautiful symmetry. Alas, he is no Tolkien.