Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I was like 29-30 when I started the first thread. Goons be gettin' old physically, but we never really age online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

caberham posted:

Man 39? So old, I thought you would be 36 max but this makes sense.

He's just counting down the next 20 years until he can move to Hua Hin.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Chair Huxtable posted:

He's just counting down the next 20 years until he can move to Hua Hin.
I've already got a Click on layaway!

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Ao Nang verdict: awesome. Thanks for the recommendation. I got conned into going to Phi Phi for a couple days before this so the atmosphere here is even more enjoyable.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Glad you're enjoying it! Have you found The Last Cafe yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjBjyRkJLN8

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 20, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

mintskoal posted:

Ao Nang verdict: awesome. Thanks for the recommendation. I got conned into going to Phi Phi for a couple days before this so the atmosphere here is even more enjoyable.

Yeah I should have stayed in ao nang or krabi but I opted for railay. staying in a honey moon island alone sucks. The towels are arranged in a heart shape swan, everyone talking about plans and romance etc.

But then that krabi youth hostel was party central, people playing strip beer pong and drinking all night. Somehow I just got blazed and turned into house sitting dad. Giving first aid to different cuts and scrapes etc...

And yeah goons will be goons. I met my fair share of eastern Asia goons and you can see the gooniness deep down. Doesn't matter if they are bankers, lawyers, teachers, etc.

Everyone loves snickering and go all :henget:

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

I own two clicks. Does that make me a creepy white person? I wear my shirt when I ride them.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

ReindeerF posted:

Glad you're enjoying it! Have you found The Last Cafe yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjBjyRkJLN8

This is my goal for the next week or whatever.

^ I'm staying at a place called Slumber Party in Ao Nang. Really chill place owned by an American guy. Definitely worth checking out.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
On a family trip in Phnom Penh, and just saw a pack of geriatric, white Neo-Nazis roaming around near street 172, swastika tats, SS t shirts and all. Kingdom of Wonder.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
See if you can convince them to wander around in full regalia over by Pontoon during the wee hours. Could be interesting.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!
My wife, possibly my sister-in-law and I'll be in Bangkok for a few days in March and could use a little advice on how to see and do what we're planning on seeing and doing.

We'd like to get to a floating market but it seems like a lot of options are out since we're there from Monday to Thursday and a lot of them seem to only operate on weekends. I'm kind of hesitant to take a tour to Damnoen Saduak since everything that I've read about it says that it's just a tourist trap. Are there any floating markets closer to the city that are open weekdays and maybe a little less touristy? All we're really interested in is nonstop eating and maybe some cheap souvenirs.

I kinda want to see a ladyboy cabaret, something more campy and less ping pong balls flying around and the possibility of poking my eye out with anything penis shaped while shady dudes make me buy 1000 baht beers.

We're going to go see the temples and giant buddahs and stuff, that seems pretty straightforward.

My wife would like to see elephants somewhere.

We're thinking of getting a hotel in Sukhumvit, seems closer to a lot of what we're interested in and easier to get back to after a night of drinking but if we could save a few bucks on a nice hotel around Khaosan that's close to lots of alcohol I'd be interested in that too.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I'm PMing you about a hotel.

On the Floating Market, Taling Chan might be a good alternative. I can't remember if any actual floating goes on. There are some really cool and considerably more authentic tours through Withlocals - they're the real deal. I'm sure it'll get flooded with scammers eventually, but it's pretty legit right now.

For the ladyboy cabaret show, you'll want to go to the Asia Hotel at Ratchathewi BTS station. They have probably the classiest one in Bangkok.

The elephant tour they'll book you on out of BKK is up in Kanchanaburi, which is where the River Kwai / Hellfire Pass museum and other stuff is. Also a pretty area. Lots of tourists take the van up in the morning, 4 hours, do the thing and take the van back that night. I always tell them to go do a couple of days in Kanchanaburi and book the elephant thing locally. Seems stupid to me to spend 8 hours in a van in one day, heh.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you are willing to shell out 1000 Baht beers you might as well stay in the Peninsula. Or the Hilton or any of the nicer properties on the other side of the river. If you just want to eat a lot of food, you don't really "need" to hit a floating market though. I kind of liked going to Chaktuchak and getting Thai t-shirts, and eating food.

And don't go to the ping pong show.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Sometimes, people ask me: Chair, why do you say that most of the expats in SEA are weird. Well, because people like this are who ends up here.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Chair Huxtable posted:

Sometimes, people ask me: Chair, why do you say that most of the expats in SEA are weird. Well, because people like this are who ends up here.

I met a stereotypical hippy backpacker - beard, long craggly hair, elephant pants, smelled like BO - on Koh Phi Phi who was studying to be an alternative therapist. That apparently involves feeling energy and giving crystal massages or some dumb poo poo. At least all he did is meditate and smoke weed all day but he was weird as all hell. That post could have been written by him.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Chair Huxtable posted:

Math Debater has a YouTube channel too, it's videos for the forums where he sings songs. About half the time I think he's a character, but in my senior year of college the room I moved into was available because a math major had gone nuts and started taking ice cold baths for hours and making GBS threads in the compost bin outside and eventually made piles of everyone's electronics in their rooms and set them on fire.

In any case when he gets to Thailand maybe I'll send RF the guest house that Big Suave was probably staying in so that he can take Math Debater there and that way when we have our second thread death it can be at the same place and then everyone can chip in for a little plaque.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

I must be a noob, what was the first thread death?

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Big Suave died backpacking in Thailand a few years ago. I'm pretty sure this happens like every month on khmer440.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Second night in Huahin. Currently in a bar by the Hilton. Bargirls look bored, not many people.

Worst behavior so far wasn't by a sexpat but a group of about five drunk American girls in 7-11.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Honestly, most (all?) floating markets are the absolute worst attractions in Thailand. I advise everyone ever going to Thailand to skip them unless it's something like the 'not really a floating market' floating market in Bangkok operated by the monks. The one in Pattaya is especially odious. The amphibious boat is terrible, the water is vomit inducing, there are dead mice littering the strip around the restaurants. There is zero cultural value in visiting one in Thailand, whereas the kind of 'get in a boat and go shopping amongst other boats' style floating markets of Vietnam are more what people probably want to see.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 21, 2014

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Seconding what that guy just said. It's a market on a boat, whoop de loving woo. And because lots of tourists go they stop being markets on boats and start being boats with markets on them so tourists will visit.

I can't speak for Thailand but the floating market illusion was ruined for me in Cambodia when I saw stall after stall piled up with Dr Dre BEATS headphones. I'm no expert but I think that product may be directed towards tourists.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

The thing about floating markets, street vendors etc. is that they all sell the same poo poo, too. So I bought a small leather pouch one place thinking it theoretically could have been made by the stall owner only to later see several more just like it at a floating market, night market etc. So not only is the food worse than street food found elsewhere; but there is nothing unique to buy nor see.

The most disgusting thing (as in non-hygienic) you see at these places are performers wading into the water that surely has feces, urine, motor oil and cum in it up to their waist to perform staged fights while balancing on a beam or simply dancing (in the case of young women). Every time one of them fell into the water completely I felt like I should bathe in hydrogen peroxide.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
I'm playing host to family, otherwise I'd offer to schedule a Hua Hin goon meet. With three in town at once it must be some sort of record. Back in Bangkok soon, though, if anyone wants to meet in the next couple weeks.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

XyrlocShammypants posted:

The thing about floating markets, street vendors etc. is that they all sell the same poo poo, too. So I bought a small leather pouch one place thinking it theoretically could have been made by the stall owner only to later see several more just like it at a floating market, night market etc. So not only is the food worse than street food found elsewhere; but there is nothing unique to buy nor see.

That has been driving me insane. I really need to get some new shirts but literally everyone wears the same thing because the shops all sell the same thing.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
A couple ends up in jail in Thailand after their lovely travel agency gave them fake visa stamps.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/generationemigration/2014/06/21/banged-up-in-bangkok-after-job-agency-bends-the-visa-rules/

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

mintskoal posted:

That has been driving me insane. I really need to get some new shirts but literally everyone wears the same thing because the shops all sell the same thing.

If you don't have the time for a tailor (~1 week, not expensive) go to a mall and look in the department stores or a Tesco Lotus. I'm 6'3" and could find clothes in places like that without much trouble.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

So I'm now living in Phnom Penh. If there's any goons around let me know! It would be good to have some local knowledge and tips. Can't wait for the Aeon mall to open.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
SE Asia Megathread: I'm now living in Phnom Penh, can't wait for the mall to open

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
You've made a much better choice than Chiang Mai.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

MothraAttack posted:

You've made a much better choice than Chiang Mai.

Haha thanks! I'm liking it so far. Everyone's really nice, even if there are more tuk tuk drivers than tourists.

Sheep-Goats posted:

SE Asia Megathread: I'm now living in Phnom Penh, can't wait for the mall to open

What can I say? It has a bowling alley and a 4D cinema!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Ringo R posted:

A couple ends up in jail in Thailand after their lovely travel agency gave them fake visa stamps.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/generationemigration/2014/06/21/banged-up-in-bangkok-after-job-agency-bends-the-visa-rules/

Embassies will only help you if you are rich/powerful :smith:

Sheep-Goats posted:

It's better than a floating market. And I hope the mall will have Burger King!

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

caberham posted:

It's better than a floating market. And I hope the mall will have Burger King!

I dunno about Burger King, but there'll be at least three KFCs.

Also, three goons in Hua Hin right now? I thought the crowds looked a little creepier than usual last night.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Chair Huxtable posted:

I dunno about Burger King, but there'll be at least three KFCs.

Also, three goons in Hua Hin right now? I thought the crowds looked a little creepier than usual last night.
It was weird seeing young misanthropes sitting in a corner alone drinking and looking awkward.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Honestly, most (all?) floating markets are the absolute worst attractions in Thailand. I advise everyone ever going to Thailand to skip them unless it's something like the 'not really a floating market' floating market in Bangkok operated by the monks. The one in Pattaya is especially odious. The amphibious boat is terrible, the water is vomit inducing, there are dead mice littering the strip around the restaurants. There is zero cultural value in visiting one in Thailand, whereas the kind of 'get in a boat and go shopping amongst other boats' style floating markets of Vietnam are more what people probably want to see.
There are one or two legit floating markets, but the vast majority are tourist attractions, yeah, and awful - whether for the domestic market (Amphawa) or the international market (Damnoen Saduak).

Lately the trend has taken a quantum leap in tourist kitsch with the opening of the Floating Market in Hua Hin, which is a completely concocted sort of, I don't know what to call it - it's not a market, it's like a big EPCOT Floating Market (tm) theater with a lake in the middle where they do shows or something. Here are some photos:

If people want to see a cool old school market on the water that's actually legit, instead of a functioning daily market like Talatt Khlong Toei or Talaat Non, I send them to the market at Wat Rai Khing out by the Tha Chin River.

EDIT: Richard Barrow recommended the Floating Market, by the way. Also the Sheep Farm.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 22, 2014

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

You can see many sheep at the sheep farm.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
There is a Burger King at the airport in PP, only one in Cambodia! I highly do not recommend the mushroom burger.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The new food stuff at PNH is quite an improvement. On airside they used to have this lovely pub sponsored by Angkor that served about six horrendous dishes and that was pretty much it. There's a Vietnamese place outside, or was unless it's closed, as you exit that serves tap beer and decent pho. I wouldn't use it if you're arriving, but if you're heading out and have time to kill it's not a bad choice.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

There are one or two legit floating markets, but the vast majority are tourist attractions, yeah, and awful - whether for the domestic market (Amphawa) or the international market (Damnoen Saduak).

Lately the trend has taken a quantum leap in tourist kitsch with the opening of the Floating Market in Hua Hin, which is a completely concocted sort of, I don't know what to call it - it's not a market, it's like a big EPCOT Floating Market (tm) theater with a lake in the middle where they do shows or something. Here are some photos:

If people want to see a cool old school market on the water that's actually legit, instead of a functioning daily market like Talatt Khlong Toei or Talaat Non, I send them to the market at Wat Rai Khing out by the Tha Chin River.

EDIT: Richard Barrow recommended the Floating Market, by the way. Also the Sheep Farm.

I was there in May but there were gently caress all people around for some reason. Totally disappointed. The tourist trap floating market in Bangkok was rubbish too. Same poo poo, different stalls. I do like convincing white people to try durian though so it wasn't all bad.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Alan_Shore posted:

What can I say? It has a bowling alley and a 4D cinema!

PP you're weirding me out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

The floating market has overpriced versions of the same crap you buy at the night market (which is already overpriced) and the sheep farm is stupid as hell, unless you really like to pay money to see sheep wandering aimlessly in a field. When we went on our class field trip there last year, there was a wedding taking place at the same time. An immaculate bride and groom having a billion photos taken in front of sheep attacking everyone they saw for grass and trying to get away from a pack of screaming toddlers.

Last night in Hua Hin was such a bust. I ended up getting stupidly overdressed, and then everything closed down at 12 like we were still under curfew. I knew I should have gone to bangkok.