Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

FE6 hard mode isn't that bad, it's just just stupid. I would abuse the first arena to get Roy level capped so you can ignore him forever though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
This is impromptu as hell, but if you're interested, we're doing an Awful Emblem dev stream. Feel free to come hang out with us and ask questions, etc.

E: There was a stream here. It's gone now.

Artix fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 22, 2014

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

You don't want to play FE6 hard mode unless you *really* want a challenge, and you're okay with support grinding. It's alright once you get to the backhalf of the game but the early-going and a few middle chapters are torture.

I dunno if I'd go nearly that far, since the enemies are only really overwhelming until Chapter 5, where the endless stream of easily handled reinforcements leaves you way higher leveled than you'd be on Normal and almost restores the status quo. Rebellion in Ostia was the last really hard chapter for me, and that's mostly because of the huge dick move of adding another wyrven rider directly above Treck and Zealot.

Also, I'm on Chapter 2 of Genealogy. This game is really cool and ambitious, even if some stuff obviously doesn't quite work out, and there are some glaring problems like every non-Pursuit "attack twice" skill being kind of lame.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
That's Genealogy in a nutshell: A batch of good ideas, but marred by an absolute lack of finitions and balance.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Genealogy was really popular in Japan right? I hope they remake it on the 3DS with Awakening's engine and features, maybe with Thracia included as an interlude between parts 1 and 2.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nah I'm pretty sure it was the least popular, actually. Or one of the least popular.

e: I am wrong and dumb, it sold well, just worse than 3.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 22, 2014

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cake Attack posted:

Nah I'm pretty sure it was the least popular, actually. Or one of the least popular.

e: I am wrong and dumb, it sold well, just worse than 3.

The be fair, Fire Emblem sales in Japan strictly decreased from like FE3 all the way through FE12.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

cheetah7071 posted:

To be fair, Fire Emblem sales in Japan strictly decreased from like FE3 all the way through FE12.

They actually spiked for FE6, almost selling as well as FE3 if I remember correctly. But yeah, otherwise it's been going downhill since then and the Tellius games actually sold really, really terribly.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

cheetah7071 posted:

The be fair, Fire Emblem sales in Japan strictly decreased from like FE3 all the way through FE12.

makes you wonder how the hell they survived 12 games before awakening came along.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Tae posted:

makes you wonder how the hell they survived 12 games before awakening came along.

Smash Bros, at least after 3 games came out.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I had a good amount of fun with the Fe7 randomizer, but I haven't been able to find an updated version. I was interested in starting an FE8 play-through so is there a randomizer that works with fe8?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

dude789 posted:

I had a good amount of fun with the Fe7 randomizer, but I haven't been able to find an updated version. I was interested in starting an FE8 play-through so is there a randomizer that works with fe8?

Not yet but the character offsets for FE8 were recently posted on SF so you probably could with a little bit of tinkering.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So for Geneology of the Holy War, is there any reason not to sell most of Cuan and Ethilin's equipment before I finish Chapter 3? I'm guessing Leaf and Altenna eventually inherit their parents' weapons, and that inheritance is reversed, so Leaf gets Ethilin's swords and Altenna gets Cuan's lances, so I can at least sell the Heal staff so Claude can use it, right?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Well, children get everything their parents had. Including they can't use, or that their parents couldn't use (which can happens if a parent kills a boss carrying a droppable weapon they can't use). So, yeah, sell Ethlin's things to Adean, so that you have access to a lot of things right off the bat. Claude and Fury can be good ideas as well.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
Feel free to sell most/all of their stuff. Leif will be fine with the Light Sword, and Altenna doesn't need more than the Gae Bolg to be great as soon as she joins.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Iceclaw posted:

Well, children get everything their parents had. Including they can't use, or that their parents couldn't use (which can happens if a parent kills a boss carrying a droppable weapon they can't use). So, yeah, sell Ethlin's things to Adean, so that you have access to a lot of things right off the bat. Claude and Fury can be good ideas as well.

This is false. Children only inherit things they can use, and Holy Weapons.

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010
The randomizer now supports FE8.

They haven't made a fix patch for FE8 though, so everyone retains their original weapon ranks. There are also a few other issues floating around:

Of course, it's not like I'll ever get to use that. Joshua is my only dark mage so far, and he has a bit of an issue.

3 CON. 3 loving con. Flux has a weight of 8. Gleipnir has 20.

On the plus side, I'm drowning in stat up items and get to run rings around enemies with my endlessly dancing duo of Forde and Tana.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'm getting 'not found' errors when I try to go to the download links. :smith:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

I'm getting 'not found' errors when I try to go to the download links. :smith:

You can at least still download the .zip through the github link.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

JTDistortion posted:

Of course, it's not like I'll ever get to use that. Joshua is my only dark mage so far, and he has a bit of an issue.

3 CON. 3 loving con. Flux has a weight of 8. Gleipnir has 20.

I thought the randomizer didn't mess with unit bases. Joshua doens't have any negative Con modifiers, so how'd that happen?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Maybe Shaman does?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Checking SF, female shamans have a base con of 3.

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010
Looks like he has the base con of a female shaman. If he was a male shaman, he'd have a con of 7. Even when randomized, FE8 just doesn't want me to have a good shaman. :smith:

Edit: ^dammit, too slow.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Well, drat. It's kind of hilarious how bad IS shits on every female unit with Con.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Doubleposting to ask if there's a translation available for the configuration menu of Tharcia 776, since everything besides the story script is yrmnja;uoigwcing. Is Tharcia really that hard to patch, or is everyone just cool with not knowing what half the stuff means?

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Last time someone wanted to fix the translation, all of serenes dogpiled them, so no. The SNES is also generally harder to patch, I believe.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

SC Bracer posted:

Last time someone wanted to fix the translation, all of serenes dogpiled them, so no.

wat? Do they just hate usable interfaces or something?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
You have to understand, Serenes as a whole tends to be of the "Good enough" opinion. Sure, the main tool that people use to hack the GBA games totally ruins FE6, but it works fine for FE7, so that's good enough. Yeah, the FE5 translation has hosed up menus and it causes the game to crash at the big decision point, but it works the rest of the time so good enough.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
The new guy also wanted to make the names more consistent/less stupid sounding iirc, which is unforgivable.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Not like it matters once Nintendo announces Fire Emblem 4&5 HD for the Wii U!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Serenest Forest is basically a decade-long circlejerk, so it's no surprise that the forums hate change.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
To this day I do not regret never posting there. Fantastic source of information, though, credit where credit is due.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You have to be a certain kind of crazy to still talk about book of war equivalent text on tier lists for a game that came out over 10 years ago.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Terper posted:

Not like it matters once Nintendo announces Fire Emblem 4&5 HD for the Wii U!!

I seriously wish they would do this.

Or put it on the 3DS with Awakening's engine (hopefully with feet this time...). I've played all the Fire Emblems they've released in the west but I just don't have the tech know-how to put in language patches or whatever for the Japanese only ones.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's pretty simple to do, for the most part. You don't need tech know-how, it's like a two-step process. Only the SNES patches are finicky.

Like for FE6 it's just get translation patch, get rom, get visualboy advance, make sure patch and rom are named the same thing, run FE6 rom.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Considering Shadow Dragon nearly killed the series, to the point where FE12 (another remake) wasn't even released outside of Japan, I doubt they'll be going back to the old games any time soon.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

SC Bracer posted:

Last time someone wanted to fix the translation, all of serenes dogpiled them, so no. The SNES is also generally harder to patch, I believe.

This is pretty weird, considering most of the posters seemed pretty reasonable from what I saw of the new FE6 translation thread, and that has name changes and needed a new patch less than Tharcia does. I'd honestly expect the entire community to be making GBS threads on the old Tharcia 776 patch.

Endorph posted:

It's pretty simple to do, for the most part. You don't need tech know-how, it's like a two-step process. Only the SNES patches are finicky.

Like for FE6 it's just get translation patch, get rom, get visualboy advance, make sure patch and rom are named the same thing, run FE6 rom.

Also this. Visual Boy Advance is pretty much idiot-proof, as another guy who's also terrible with technical stuff.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

I dunno. I could see a remake of 4/5 working if they update it to be more like Awakening. Break up the huge missions into smaller individual battles, add the world map system, and use the modern support/relationship stuff.

It would be a remake instead of being a "HD collection" kind of thing, but it could be good. On the other hand, I'd rather just see a new game.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Well, it's been a little while since we had any Awful Emblem news, but today we have the most important update of all! As of last night, we are 100% done with our first proper demo. It covers from the prologue to Chapter 9, the first of three planned acts. And as of the bottom of this post, you can play it right now.

If you don't already have it, make sure you grab NUPS here, and the patch itself is right here.

Once you've given it a run through, we'd love to get your feedback! We have a doc set up here where you can leave feedback of any kind. If you loved it or hated it, we want to know so we can make the rest of the game that much better.

Special Thanks to the whole team:

FPzero: Project leader, Event scripting, Mapmaking, Battle palettes
Artix: Project leader, Writing supervision, Hard Mode madman
Blastinus: Mapmaking, General writing, editing and encoding.
PoorlyWrittenNovel: General writing, editing and encoding
Ddinkins112: General writing and editing, Supports writer
SCBracer: General writing and editing
Tyty: Portraits artist
Ryushikaze: Custom animations

And these people I guess:

CanOfWorms
Onmi
Temp
TactHack
luigimariokog
Shiny777
Mysticblade
Tanks
Cirvante
Arch

E: Growth rates for the curious:

Artix fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm gonna go get wasted in celebration. The last two weeks have been major crunch time in getting this ready.

Hopefully you all enjoy it!