Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Thank god, we can shitpost about elfgames again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
It's like a monkey's paw thing where we wished the forums back alive but they came back wrong.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

This forum is failing its FORT check am I right?

nice ironic gang tag, bro

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
That's not ironic. Bowser says that in the new Mario Kart: http://youtu.be/P27ZsrQ_wFE

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Swagger Dagger posted:

nice ironic gang tag, bro

Bowser's racism is neither ironic nor relevant to elfgames, sir.

So any fun RPG nerd drama happen over the forums crash?

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I had the best sales day I've had all month during no forums. I'm going to attribute this solely to people desperately throwing dollars at things in lieu of throwing them at Something Awful from sheer force of habit.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

It is SO good to be back. I was going into convulsions!

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Bowser's racism is neither ironic nor relevant to elfgames, sir.

So any fun RPG nerd drama happen over the forums crash?

https://www.reddit.com/r/elfgames

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh thank god. I was afraid I'd have to work at work tomorrow...

Covok posted:

And it looks like we're back.

So, how did Free RPG day go for everyone?
Pretty well. I got to play Fate Pokemon and picked up one good free thing (13th Age), one okay thing (Cosmic Patrol) and two mediocre things (Valiant and DCC/XCrawl).

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

What now?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It was a Pokemon game someone made using Fate. Well, FAE. There were no stunts, instead your 'mons type, personality, and moves were all additional aspects. Not really complicated.

It went pretty well even though I was the only one who every played Fate before; I was the only one using Create Advantage so I managed to defeat the electric gym leader with a Starly (create advantage, create advantage, attack, 6-stress hit).

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I'm glad Grogs.txt is back so Professor Cirno can purge, if we had to go another day they'd probably burst.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Seriously the timing was kinda crazy. THe forums went down RIGHT as these two or three people on ENWorld completely lost their poo poo.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

grogs.txt is bad for your health. :(

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Maybe for some people. I'm loving this poo poo!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

That's what worries me...

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I actually can't tell if you're being serious or not; if so, pop on into IRC, because I assure you nothing's wrong :)

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Is there a thread anywhere discussing Relic Knights? A lot of people at my local are getting into it, and it looks like a nice change of pace from Warmahordes and I'm curious about goon opinion.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

omnibobb posted:

Is there a thread anywhere discussing Relic Knights? A lot of people at my local are getting into it, and it looks like a nice change of pace from Warmahordes and I'm curious about goon opinion.

The miniatures are even more amazing than Infinity's. :allears:

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Ya. Thats part of what I wanted to see - if other people thought some of these are as creepy as I do.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Parkreiner posted:

Savage Worlds looks OK on paper but I have never had any fun playing it with three different groups.

Savage Worlds assumes you're going to have 2-6 generic mooks to control during minis combat, along with your painstakingly designed character who has to roll an 8+ (on, at most, a d12) to do anything but run away the second they get grazed, or spend one of the two or three bennies they'll get for the night on being able to act.

Well, tacitly assumes. The game designers are obviously pumped up about big battles with tons of figs and maybe they never looked too closely at what happens when you go one man, one mini.

In certain settings, having 2-6 generic mooks accompany you isn't really going to be workable with the setting assumptions, so that it's not really a good game to run, say, supers in. You remember when Superman brought Krypto and Streaky and Comet and Beppo to run interference so he wouldn't get stunlocked by parademons, right?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
How well do you think the game, TES III: Morrowind would adapt to Fate? I love the setting and think it would be fun to roleplay in, but I haven't really found a decent system to run it in.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

SunAndSpring posted:

How well do you think the game, TES III: Morrowind would adapt to Fate? I love the setting and think it would be fun to roleplay in, but I haven't really found a decent system to run it in.

There is very little that FATE cannot do out of the box. My only caveat is that if you and/or your players might want some of the crunch in that game, and you're up for a good deal more work, something heavier like GURPS might be in order. If not, embrace the fractal, my friend.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

SunAndSpring posted:

What from Morrowind is giving you problems converting to tabletop? Other than a few novel features The Elder Scrolls seems like a pretty standard Fantasy world, I would think it would be easy to play with just about any system.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The main issue you'll hit is the same issue I think you'll hit with just about any semi-generic game - you end up playing "Fate in the Morrowind Setting" rather then "Morrowind."

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I swear I've seen some hacked together Morrowind systems somewhere.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

SunAndSpring posted:

As a setting it would probably work just fine. A lot would depend on how comfortable you are with changing elements of the game to suit what FATE can do (which shouldn't really be a big deal considering what can be done in Elder Scrolls changes from game to game anyway).

Some elements of magic and item-crafting won't really carry over. Alchemy and Enchantment for instance probably won't be as important since Fate Characters generally won't carry around tons of potions and such and the game doesn't generally encourage magical equipment that isn't an Aspect, Stunt or a major plot object (which will likely have it's own aspects and stunts).

Magic won't scale quite as much throughout the game since most non-attack/defense spells will basically consist of various forms of Overcome or Create Advantage actions. Spells also probably won't be individualized, instead you're more likely to have a magical skill (like say Destruction) which can be used to attack/create advantage/etc and Stunts that modify how you can use it (such as a Stunt that allows destruction attacks to affect an entire zone, or a Stunt to create multiple advantages at once, etc).

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

I'm currently running a TES game ( Oblivion Crisis, originally set on the Cyrodiil Morrowind border, but now moved firmly into Morrowind ) in 13th Age, mostly becuase I wanted top play 13th age though. I'm sure you can make it work in basically any fantasy rpg that isn't too closely married to a specific setting.

13th age works great though since it actively encourages you to make up your own stuff, backgrounds and OUT's give you a lot hooks into the setting from a character viewpoint. Icons wise you'll have to make up your own set depending on what time and place your campaign is set.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Obviously the various factions would be the Icons.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Icons are the new aspects.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
If you mean "a cool idea that's easily ported to other systems with a minimum of effort" then yes, yes they are.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I remember someone or the other was working on a MOREowind conversion (They called it that, not me) for Reign.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

As a fan of both systems, yes I do. They're also great for bypassing a lot of mechanical "how do I convert <thing> to this system" wonkery.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
So while the forums were down, the Bundle of Holding was the Mongoose version of Traveller. I have both bundles now, the Mongoose version and the original Traveller. What version plays better? I know next to nothing about Traveller besides that it's in space, there are many versions, and you can die during character creation.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Spincut posted:

So while the forums were down, the Bundle of Holding was the Mongoose version of Traveller. I have both bundles now, the Mongoose version and the original Traveller. What version plays better? I know next to nothing about Traveller besides that it's in space, there are many versions, and you can die during character creation.

Mongoose, by leagues. I've heard the quality of the supplements is kind of spotty, but the base book is pretty good.

Original Traveller, on the other hand, really shows its age. It's not particularly terrible or unplayable or anything, it just came out in the same year as D&D 1E, so it fits into the end of that weird early paradigm where RPGs were still breaking out of being a subgenre of wargames.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I think Mongoose version plays better and I am one of the two major Classic Traveller grogs on SA.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
To those who have backed or bought Dragon Kings, what do you think of it? I'm thinking of picking it up.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Halloween Jack posted:

Continued from the last thread:

I really want to like this game. But the rules are killing my passion for the premise. Nine ability scores, nine more derived scores, and three pools? Potentially infinite skills, rated 1-10?
Aww thanks for picking this up Ha-Ja, and I liked your Antonio Inoki joke.

Yeah, I have literally no idea what happened when they were creating the system. If it helps I know at least a couple of the designers are people who love RIFTS even if they know mechanically it is bad; they may figure since it is more coherent than RIFTS that they have done their job.

I felt pretty justified in giving myself a Typing of 10. It has come up twice in five convention games.

Halloween Jack posted:

Conventional wisdom says "the players play themselves" is a bad idea for several reasons, and they made sure to cram each and every one of those reasons into their game. They started off with several good points on why the Sliders style premise is good for newbie players and GMs and handles player absences well, but no, I do not want to have a conversation about whether or not I live up to that 7th point in Rugby and Using A Photocopier.
Haha. In reality the game is not really played that way even by its designers but I would hardly defend putting that in the rules if they do not want the game to work that way (I never read that part of the rules so I had no idea it was there).

Plus, to go with the mechanics advice, you would barely know the game had mechanics half the time you are playing, since JUMPS can be as short as 15 minutes and often it is back-to-back panicked shouting with only a roll or two in sight. Jumpers may be the game that actually started convincing me that old-school style mechanics can be a serious detriment to the way a game is supposed to be played, actually.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Spincut posted:

Mongoose Traveller is an amazing piece of work - I'd call it flat out better than OG Traveller, just because it keeps the stripped down style and vibe perfectly while improving and modernising all the elements.

However while they've done a great job of keeping basically all the rules you need into one book, it does mean you do a lot of flipping back and forth to find the rules you need. And space combat is really only tuned for a couple of ships, it kinda breaks down if you want to do a squad engagement (or maybe I'm just not smart enough to manage all the numbers).

Get Pirates of Drinax if you're doing anything Traveller related - it's free, and just phenomenally good. Standouts of the (currently unfinished) ten episode arc are Honor Among Thieves, Treasure Ship and Ihatei.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

So, is this just going to a home away from home for Trad Games, or a gimmicky joke subreddit?

And hey, the moderator's also named Winson Paine!

• Locked thread