Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Pidmon posted:

So there's a Discworld Lego Set that's being voted on if it'll become an official lego set or not. It's going around tumblr at the moment and according to that post... "Hey! There’s a Discworld lego set being voted on over at Lego.com. It needs 10,000 supporters to be considered as a viable set, and if it gets made, 50% of the proceeds will go to Alzheimer research in Sir Terry Pratchett’s name!"

So, y'know, if you want to help kids get into the series maybe vote on it?

Holy poo poo, I'd love a Great A'Tuin lego set. And the little Rincewind is pretty great too. They're halfway with 311 days to go, so here's hoping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Pidmon posted:

So there's a Discworld Lego Set that's being voted on if it'll become an official lego set or not. It's going around tumblr at the moment and according to that post... "Hey! There’s a Discworld lego set being voted on over at Lego.com. It needs 10,000 supporters to be considered as a viable set, and if it gets made, 50% of the proceeds will go to Alzheimer research in Sir Terry Pratchett’s name!"

So, y'know, if you want to help kids get into the series maybe vote on it?

That project also links to a Tiffany Aching one, although aside from the little Pictsie Feegle bits it's not that amazing. Probably could have used a sweet night-sky painted witch hat or a kilted cheese.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

WhenInRome posted:

I don't know if I'd call Making Money awful. It had some good moments, but it was just really samey. "yep here's moist getting into wacky adventures to restore a dying old government institution with a weird obsessive kid and a slightly crazy traditionalist old dude!" Like, it wasn't bad, it was just...generic.

raising steam was poo poo though

I really enjoyed Making Money, but then again I was willing to roll with the plot being very familiar (as you say). At least Pratchett's prose and characterization were still, IMO, in top form at that point, even if he does reuse ideas.

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?
My main issue with Making Money is that Moist's character arch was really done in Going Postal. Making Money was well written and had interesting themes, but the characters weren't interesting enough.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm about 60% through Night Watch and it's really great. I'm digging the dark tone and getting to see the bad old days of A-M. I kinda miss the modern, big-happy-family City Watch though.

I'm probably a few days off from finishing, and at that point I will have read the following:

City Watch: Guards! Guards!, Men at Arms, Feet of Clay, Jingo, Fifth Elephant, Night Watch
Death/Susan: Mort, Reaper Man, Soul Music, Hogfather, Thief of Time
Witches: Equal Rites, Wyrd Sisters
Standalones: Small Gods, Amazing Maurice, The Truth

Just curious what people think are the books I can look forward to the most? I plan on reading each subseries in its proper order of course, but otherwise jumping around a bit (I might read another Witches book next, then Thud, then maybe jump back and read Color of Magic to begin the Wizards subseries). Any I should try get to soon?

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Terry's younger readers books from the 90's (The Johnny Maxwell and Bromeliad Trilogies) are fantastic. If you enjoy the Them stuff from Good Omens, or grew up with 80's kid flicks like the Goonies or the Last Starfighter, or loved Attack the Block, you'll really like the Johnny books. I believe that at one point TP considered the second one, Johnny and the Dead, his best work.

They're also really good books to give the young person/s in your life to get them into Pratchett, unlike his newer children's books which seem pitched at the people who give out awards to children's books, and which I can't imagine a lot of kids actually liking.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jun 26, 2014

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

I'm about 60% through Night Watch and it's really great. I'm digging the dark tone and getting to see the bad old days of A-M. I kinda miss the modern, big-happy-family City Watch though.

I'm probably a few days off from finishing, and at that point I will have read the following:

City Watch: Guards! Guards!, Men at Arms, Feet of Clay, Jingo, Fifth Elephant, Night Watch

Just curious what people think are the books I can look forward to the most? I plan on reading each subseries in its proper order of course, but otherwise jumping around a bit (I might read another Witches book next, then Thud, then maybe jump back and read Color of Magic to begin the Wizards subseries). Any I should try get to soon?

The next book in the Witches will be Witches abroad, which is hilarious. No vampire have ever been resurrected from the stomach of a cat. The rest of Witches is a mixed bag, ranging from great like Maskerade to merely Pratchett-average like Carpe Jugulum and Lords and Ladies.
City Watch went downhill after Feet of Clay for me.
Rincewind is probably the best series, starting from Color of Magic (which also brings a grittier Ankh-Morpork), and continuing with Light Fantastic, Sourcery, Interesting Times, EricFaust, Last Continent and finishing of with Last Hero (which should of course be in the illustrated version).
Of the stand-alones, Pyramids is pretty great. Good omens, the collaboration with Gaiman is great, even though it is not Discworld.
Finally, the Tiffany Aching series is really good.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Ugh David Jason again. Please go away, I don't like you in my Discworld anymore :smith:.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

You have Night Watch on your list of books to read after you finish Night Watch. Are you sure you don't mean Thud!?

I recommend Going Postal and Making Money, by the way. The main character's name is Moist Von Lipwig and that will never not be funny.

For the Watch Series, I love The Fifth Elephant.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
You definitely need some Rincewind in there, but I'm not sure what to reccomend as he doesn't have any stand-out books like all the other groups do. Sourcery is probably a good bet, and Interesting Times. Maybe even try the two video games! Only read The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic if you are ready for a huge change in tone and style after stuff like Night Watch.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Nilbop posted:

You definitely need some Rincewind in there, but I'm not sure what to reccomend as he doesn't have any stand-out books like all the other groups do. Sourcery is probably a good bet, and Interesting Times. Maybe even try the two video games! Only read The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic if you are ready for a huge change in tone and style after stuff like Night Watch.

How about interesting times and the last hero?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Nihilarian posted:

You have Night Watch on your list of books to read after you finish Night Watch. Are you sure you don't mean Thud!?

No I don't. I have Night Watch on my list of read books.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

No I don't. I have Night Watch on my list of read books.
I must have inserted a "to" in there while reading. Whoops.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Hedrigall posted:

The next Witches book, Witches Abroad, is OK, but the one after that - Lords and Ladies - is the best of that arc and probably in my top 10 overall. Unfortunately the Watch arc has now peaked, although Thud is still pretty brilliant.

I actually only just read Snuff and Raising Steam after not reading any Pratchett in years, and while I still enjoyed to them it seemed to me that he'd peaked. But maybe that's because I read most of those books when I was a lot younger, and they were actually formative for me, whereas now I'm more widely-read? Or maybe it's because I know he has Alzheimer's and I'm subconsciously thinking it? I dunno! There does seem to be a lot more lecturing going on these days and Vimes in particular has become, at points, tediously infallible. Also the ending of Snuff is largely a repeat of the ending of Night Watch, particularly the main antagonist - can't even remember his name - being a carbon copy of Carcer.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I wonder if I'm just being in denial by not considering Snuff a Watch book since it's more about Vimes coming to terms with his aristocratic status. Similarly, I consider the Aching books separate from the Lancre Witches storyline.

Though honestly, under those definitions, Maskerade's the only book I wouldn't actively seek out to read again.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Hedrigall posted:

The Witches books get way better. Witches Abroad is hilarious, and personally I'm a big fan of Lords and Ladies. Equal Rites is a weird proto-Witches book that feels completely different in tone and character from the later ones.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

freebooter posted:

The next Witches book, Witches Abroad, is OK, but the one after that - Lords and Ladies - is the best of that arc and probably in my top 10 overall. Unfortunately the Watch arc has now peaked, although Thud is still pretty brilliant.

I actually only just read Snuff and Raising Steam after not reading any Pratchett in years, and while I still enjoyed to them it seemed to me that he'd peaked. But maybe that's because I read most of those books when I was a lot younger, and they were actually formative for me, whereas now I'm more widely-read? Or maybe it's because I know he has Alzheimer's and I'm subconsciously thinking it? I dunno! There does seem to be a lot more lecturing going on these days and Vimes in particular has become, at points, tediously infallible. Also the ending of Snuff is largely a repeat of the ending of Night Watch, particularly the main antagonist - can't even remember his name - being a carbon copy of Carcer.
Snuff did a lot of rehashing. For example:

Young wannabe copper tries to arrest a public figure. (Guards! Guards!)
It looks like the most visible antagonist is going to get away with it, but justice is delivered by a street tough who elevated himself to a better position. (Unseen Academicals)
The evil species that humanity used to be in conflict with is perhaps not as inherently evil as it seems. In fact the worst atrocities seem to be committed by humans. (Unseen Academicals)

Those are off the top of my head.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Entropic posted:

The Witches books get way better. Witches Abroad is hilarious, and personally I'm a big fan of Lords and Ladies. Equal Rites is a weird proto-Witches book that feels completely different in tone and character from the later ones.

Equal Rites is his third book which shows in comparison to latter books which are more refined. Also the first Pratchett book I read more than 20 years ago. Weatherwax for example is not the main protagonist in the same way as she is in Wyrd Sisters, but is more of a sidekick.

I just checked the Wikipedia-page for when Equal Rites was published and realized how incredibly productive Pratchett have been. There is only 10 years between the release of Light Fantastic (the second in Discworld) and Hogfather (the 20th in Discworld).

DrMelon
Oct 9, 2010

You can find me in the produce aisle of the hospital.
I felt that somehow Raising Steam wasn't quite as good as the other Moist von Lipvig books - I can't really put my finger on it, but it feels like a lot has been lifted from Snuff as well as Moist's character being weakened in some way. For example, in Going Postal he was barely able to contain his inner con-man, but in this book he seems almost a paragon of good behaviour.. In addition to that, while it's not uncommon for two or more plotlines to weave throughout one book (Jingo is a good example), it feels like there has been an attempt to do that in this book but it falls flat. To be honest, I was a little let down by this one, it just felt kind of thin. Anyone else know what I mean?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So people can be deified after death on Discworld if enough people believe in them, as demonstrated by The Duchess in Monstrous Regiment, right?

I'm just imagining Vimes dying and getting a rude shock at discovering the side effect of every copper on the Disc firmly believing in Vimes the ultimate copper.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

MikeJF posted:

So people can be deified after death on Discworld if enough people believe in them, as demonstrated by The Duchess in Monstrous Regiment, right?

I'm just imagining Vimes dying and getting a rude shock at discovering the side effect of every copper on the Disc firmly believing in Vimes the ultimate copper.

Vimes'll go spare.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Pope Guilty posted:

Vimes'll go spare.
Man, I need to re-read The Fifth Elephant.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Pope Guilty posted:

Vimes'll go spare.

ARREST THE GODS :black101:

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

MikeJF posted:

It's either that or he'll just pop right back up as a zombie. Either way, he's not getting a peaceful afterlife.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Pope Guilty posted:

Vimes'll go spare.

Totally Librarian-poo.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004
Man, gently caress Alzheimers

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jul/02/terry-pratchett-cancel-appearance-alzheimers-discworld

That last paragraph is making me well up, no joke.

Hemp Knight fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 2, 2014

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
He'll be with them in spirit :smith:. Oh, and still gently caress you Alzheimers.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Hemp Knight posted:

That last paragraph is making me well up, no joke.

Yep me too just a little bit.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

freebooter posted:

Yep me too just a little bit.

I think the day he's talking about is not too far off, :smith:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Some of the new editions of the Discworld books are pretty:black101::

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
I got 39 books on audiobook and put them in my phone so I can listen to them during the day.

I put in 20 first and by the time I got to the last books I had forgotten that there was 19 left and I got really sad that I was about to run out of books and it turns out I was only half way.

Currently I'm at the later parts of Feet of Clay. I LOVE "the night watch" By far my favourite discworld side story.

I love the Anguar parts and I nearly laughed out loud when robbers kidnap her and they're taking her out of the door while then other guards yell "Don't play with your food"

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Oh man, you've got such good stuff to come with the Watch.

Today I finished listening to The Truth which I wasn't super impressed with (it was okay), but I've started Going Postal and it's immediately WAY better. Though it is weird to see (hear?) chapters. I thought Pratchett hated them.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

After the books about the night watch. I'd say that my favourite so far is "small gods"

I didn't really care for "moving pictures". The whole Hollywood theme got a bit too much for me.

I felt the same about "soul music". But only the rock music parts. The side story about Susan sto helit was pure gold. I just didn't care for the rest.

I also find the books about the witches to be on the fence mostly. My favourite character in those books has to be human form Greebo. The commentary for those scenes are always pure gold.

I really do like Rincewind and his side story but I have a hard time imagining what he looks like. He talks and acts like he's in his late 20's or early thirties but then all of a sudden he has a beard.

I do love what they did with the wizards though. The early backstab wizards in an unseen university filled with students were no fun at all. But I love Mustrum Ridcully and his university.

Didn't The Bursa start off as sensible character as a parallel to Ridcully's lunacy?

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 5, 2014

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Zephyrine posted:

Didn't The Bursa start off as sensible character as a parallel to Ridcully's lunacy?

Yeah, but Ridcully drove him mad.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Terry Pratchett posted:

And with Thomas Tallis on my iPod, I would shake hands with Death.

Gotta say, if you're going to go out, this is some fuckin' beautiful music to do it to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cn7ZW8ts3Y

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Zephyrine posted:

I really do like Rincewind and his side story but I have a hard time imagining what he looks like. He talks and acts like he's in his late 20's or early thirties but then all of a sudden he has a beard.

People in their late 20s and early 30s can often have beards :ssh:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zephyrine, this is the current main artist's Rincewind:

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

MikeJF posted:

Zephyrine, this is the current main artist's Rincewind:

Aw now you ruined it. I always imagined him looking like Fry from futurama but with a wizard hat.

He's kind of cute though. I like it.

What others characters has he depicted?

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jul 6, 2014

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Zephyrine posted:

Aw now you ruined it. I always imagined him looking like Fry from futurama but with a wizard hat.

He's kind of cute though. I like it.

What others characters has he depicted?

All of them. Google image search "Paul Kidby discworld"

edit: Also check here: http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=paul%20kidby

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

All of them. Google image search "Paul Kidby discworld"

edit: Also check here: http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=paul%20kidby