Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

surf rock posted:

- Whoever's writing this doesn't have a high opinion of women.

I dunno about that. The Pans, Alternate Warrior Videl, and Super Bra are alright - although that might just be because they actually get to do some of the things as opposed to none of them like most actual Toriyama women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Spiritus Nox posted:

I dunno about that. The Pans, Alternate Warrior Videl, and Super Bra are alright - although that might just be because they actually get to do some of the things as opposed to none of them like most actual Toriyama women.

Yeah, Videl and the Pan characters who appear are fine. I guess I was mostly thinking about the group of women fighters who fought with, uh, pheromones and magically changing other fighters into women so that they would suck (although it's great that genderswapped Vegeta doesn't give a poo poo). Also, while I enjoy Super Bra, the whole "she can't power up because she gets TOO EMOTIONAL and can't control herself" thing is sort of annoying. I'm looking forward to when she gets past that point of her (presumed) character arc.

Edit: Alright, it's fair to say that I was being overly critical about a fan webcomic for a manga that didn't exactly have a wealth of well-written characters in the first place, let alone female characters. The writer(s) has definitely outdone Toriyama on that front, at the very least.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 26, 2014

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I always assumed her arc had more to do with her being born broly level as stronk and having to deal with that rather than that she was a woman.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I mean, it has women who are super saiyan, and one who actually is an elite level character. I don't know what more you want outside of a Goku-level bland "hero type" character.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

surf rock posted:

Yeah, Videl and the Pan characters who appear are fine. I guess I was mostly thinking about the group of women fighters who fought with, uh, pheromones and magically changing other fighters into women so that they would suck (although it's great that genderswapped Vegeta doesn't give a poo poo). Also, while I enjoy Super Bra, the whole "she can't power up because she gets TOO EMOTIONAL and can't control herself" thing is sort of annoying. I'm looking forward to when she gets past that point of her (presumed) character arc.

Edit: Alright, it's fair to say that I was being overly critical about a fan webcomic for a manga that didn't exactly have a wealth of well-written characters in the first place, let alone female characters. The writer(s) has definitely outdone Toriyama on that front, at the very least.

Her being another "Broly" and the child of Bulma and Vegeta "Temper Tantrum" PRINCE OF ALL SAYANS! (even fused) Feels like an appropriate use of that tired cliché in my mind.

Bra's got her daddies enthusiasm for training, but also her daddies pride, short fuse and running mouth. Its... magical.

surf rock posted:

With the forums down, I finally had time to read Dragon Ball Multiverse. Some impressions:

- I feel like Bra's character should be really annoying but she's actually pretty fun.

- Gag manga characters being overpowered never stops being funny.

- I had no idea how badly I wanted new DBZ stories. poo poo, this could be like ten times worse and I would still read it.

Amusing how all of that (not just the ones i quoted) were my train of reactions too. :haw: But i REALLY like Bra, the gag manga was perfect (and didn't outstay its welcome! 'tho there are two of the strange power girls left) and i was surprised at how much i was enjoying "new DBZ" too. Guess its a nostalgia thing. :allears:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

surf rock posted:

Also, while I enjoy Super Bra, the whole "she can't power up because she gets TOO EMOTIONAL and can't control herself" thing is sort of annoying.

I see this as more of an extension of other young characters than something misogynistic. It has unfortunate undertones, but let's face it, controlling emotions is difficult for any Saiyan. Bra being The Strongest There Is along with being only accentuates this.

Also, I agree that the women in Multiverse are far better than any women in the actual series, even if that particular hurdle is six feet underground.

Speaking of Multiverse, the current fight where one of the Vegetas goes berserk on the entire Saiyan race is equal parts chilling and hilarious.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jun 26, 2014

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

WhiffleballDude posted:

Probably thinking of Legendary Super Warriors, aka the best DBZ game.

Also best game.

And best music.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Speaking of Multiverse, the current fight where one of the Vegetas goes berserk on the entire Saiyan race is equal parts chilling and hilarious.

U13 Vegeta definitely seems to be channeling Renegade For Life. I can get behind that.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Is there a link for this one? It sounds amazing.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Vintimus Prime posted:

Is there a link for this one? It sounds amazing.

Here you go!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I just love how Raichi has tried to be a psychological puppet master the entire time. Dude rants about how evil and sadistic all Saiyans are, and then is completely blindsided by Vegeta being sadistic and evil.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Spiritus Nox posted:

U13 Vegeta definitely seems to be channeling Renegade For Life. I can get behind that.

It would be hysterical if DBM brought in Team Fourstar's rendition of the crew.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Best DBZ game is still Budokai Tenkaichi 3 in my opinion(if primarily due to having the largest roster, although I still think it didn't have enough characters in it)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Neo_Crimson posted:

It would be hysterical if DBM brought in Team Fourstar's rendition of the crew.

...Tempting, but it probably wouldn't really work. I mean, what's the big change to that universe? Everyone receiving an infusion of some combination of stupidity or snark?

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I just love how Raichi has tried to be a psychological puppet master the entire time. Dude rants about how evil and sadistic all Saiyans are, and then is completely blindsided by Vegeta being sadistic and evil.

Yeah. I'm not really sure how this fight, which kind of had the vibe of a big showdown to start with, is going to end with anything other than a curbstomp for U13 Vegeta. Maybe Ghost Broly or Hanasia or Raichi's Prince Vegeta turns the tide.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 26, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah. I'm not really sure how this fight, which kind of had the vibe of a big showdown to start with, is going to end with anything other than a curbstomp for U13 Vegeta. Maybe Ghost Broly or Hanasia or Raichi's Prince Vegeta turns the tide.

Universe 3 seems to have really cannibalized itself if King Piccolo was admitted as a powerful fighter. I get the feeling that no one in Raichi's ghost ball is going to scratch Vegeta from 13, even dudes who are monsters in other universes.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Universe 3 seems to have really cannibalized itself if King Piccolo was admitted as a powerful fighter. I get the feeling that no one in Raichi's ghost ball is going to scratch Vegeta from 13, even dudes who are monsters in other universes.

There's hackasack or whatever his name is, Raichi's trump card. That's all I can think of though.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

facebook jihad posted:

There's hackasack or whatever his name is, Raichi's trump card. That's all I can think of though.

Theres the thing from Plan to Eradicate all Saiyans and the thing from Wrath of the Dragon

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The best Dragon Ball game is Dragon Power, clearly.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Kild posted:

Theres the thing from Plan to Eradicate all Saiyans and the thing from Wrath of the Dragon

Well Raichi is from Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans so I'm talking about that one.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Yeah but the Hatichak gets blown up by what? Four super saiyans and Piccolo hitting it with energy beams.

The Prince here is at least Super Saiyan 2. I'm pretty sure he could wreck it.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm so confused by what you people are talking about.

What the hell are the multiple universes of Dragonball, what are you talking about.

Also, how come there's zero good Dragonball games on PC :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mans posted:

I'm so confused by what you people are talking about.

What the hell are the multiple universes of Dragonball, what are you talking about.

There's a fan-made comic which is a bunch of alternate-dimension DBZ characters fighting each other called Dragonball Multiverse. I found it entirely unreadable myself because it's a bunch of basically-identical characters talking at each other in extremely broken and incoherent English and often incomprehensible art but YMMV.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ImpAtom posted:

There's a fan-made comic which is a bunch of alternate-dimension DBZ characters fighting each other called Dragonball Multiverse. I found it entirely unreadable myself because it's a bunch of basically-identical characters talking at each other in extremely broken and incoherent English and often incomprehensible art but YMMV.

Calling it "extremely broken English," especially by the standards of a forum where people read bootleg, hastily-translated Japanese comics on the reg, is way much.

I'll agree to the rest, though. At least they stopped letting truly terrible people draw guest chapters. Really, how much you're going to like it is determined mostly by how much you like the what-if concept.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
It's clear English isn't the writer's first language but aside from some awkward sentence structure it's perfectly readable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calling it "extremely broken English," especially by the standards of a forum where people read bootleg, hastily-translated Japanese comics on the reg, is way much.

I'll agree to the rest, though. At least they stopped letting truly terrible people draw guest chapters. Really, how much you're going to like it is determined mostly by how much you like the what-if concept.

"Did you subscribe Gotenks?" "Yes we did!" is the definition of broken English.

I'm also fond of the not-quite-wrong-but-close-enough "Did you think you scare us with your crazily gigantic telekinesis powers?!"

I'm capable of puzzling out what it means more often than not but it's still pretty goddamn bad.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 27, 2014

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a universe where Yamcha is the strongest warrior according to the wiki.

I need to read this tournament comic.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Mans posted:

There's a universe where Yamcha is the strongest warrior according to the wiki.

I need to read this tournament comic.

Because he's an android and everyone else is dead

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

WhiffleballDude posted:

It's clear English isn't the writer's first language but aside from some awkward sentence structure it's perfectly readable.

The author is French, apparently.

I quite like the universe with Turtle Hermit Krillin, personally.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

facebook jihad posted:

Well Raichi is from Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans so I'm talking about that one.

Except he also dealt with Taipon or whatever his names Box from Wrath of the Dragon in DBM.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Kild posted:

Except he also dealt with Taipon or whatever his names Box from Wrath of the Dragon in DBM.

Hildegarn.

Jesus, it's like you p only don't even watch subpar dragonball films. :colbert:

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Mans posted:

I used to have a lot of fun playing Earths Special Forces, a Half-life 1 mod. If it still has a community its worth checking out but I havent played in a long long time.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

My favorite universe in DBM is definitely the one where Krillin has become the Turtle Hermit and just distrusts the hell out of all non-Earth things because they are dangerous.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

dr.acula posted:

I used to have a lot of fun playing Earths Special Forces, a Half-life 1 mod. If it still has a community its worth checking out but I havent played in a long long time.

On the other side I always played Bid for Power, the Quake 3 mod. It always seemed like people were with either one or the other.

MastG
May 25, 2014
At least the new version of Earth's Special Forces is set to look absolutely amazing.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

MastG posted:

At least the new version of Earth's Special Forces is set to look absolutely amazing.

I can't wait for it's release date in never.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone remember a fan-made game called Bid for Power that was in development? And then Funimation or whoever got wind of it and made them change all the characters so that it wasn't Dragon Ball related? I remember one of the characters ended up being some brown alien with pointy ears.

edited to add:
Found it!

Blue Star fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 28, 2014

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Blue Star posted:

Anyone remember a fan-made game called Bid for Power that was in development? And then Funimation or whoever got wind of it and made them change all the characters so that it wasn't Dragon Ball related? I remember one of the characters ended up being some brown alien with pointy ears.

edited to add:
Found it!

Literally 3 posts up...

Squallege posted:

On the other side I always played Bid for Power, the Quake 3 mod. It always seemed like people were with either one or the other.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

MastG posted:

BFP was the first forum I ever posted on, then some spaz had a meltdown and deleted it in a fit of nerd rage.

I also don't think that new ESF will ever be released. Their final version trailer or whatever it was called was released around Christmas 2012 and there has been practically no work done since then.

MastG
May 25, 2014

Bushmaori posted:

Their final version trailer or whatever it was called was released around Christmas 2012 and there has been practically no work done since then.

Except that's wrong. They release pictures of development often on their ModDB page, plus they've had several videos showing off progress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxP-ow2CbPI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

MastG posted:

Except that's wrong. They release pictures of development often on their ModDB page, plus they've had several videos showing off progress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxP-ow2CbPI

Never been so glad to be wrong.

Still I'm going to play it safe and say it wont ever be released, I hope you can correct me on this point as well at some point.

Also is that still the Half Life 1 engine because if so maybe they are taking so long on account of their code actually being spells.

• Locked thread