Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Oh man post #1000, better make it a good one.

These gals are looking a lot less gross today.

Babgoat what are you doing?

Being cute.

Still can't believe we got all girl goats this year. Heath has celebrated by getting stuck in the fence 6 more times.

The one in the front is a white and the one behind is a fading red I think.

And some ships. The jacob ram back there is looking very handsome so I'm hoping one of the people who contacted me about a ram will want him. Minnie is a huge white beast like her mom.

There might be someone interested in Panzer too. He's such a good looking guy.

Truffleumps is pretty much as friendly and in your face as Taffy.

Taff is surrounded by dog hair here, Maj is blowing coat big time.

Truffle is just hovering like its no big deal.

Such a pretty girl :3:

Not a ton of Taffy pictures because she spends every moment I'm outside wedged between my legs trying to find milk she knows I must have hidden somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Oh my god, Truffle is sooo pretty. And everyone loves Panzer's hookerboots

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
Thank you for the photo update Instant Jellyfish! Truffle and Taffy are just gorgeous! The color is so beautiful! WOW! Sorry for gushing! I can just hear all those baby goats now! Thank you again for the updates! :love:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Buns lots of buns. They've all settled in just fine and I still can't get over how adorable they are. Rabbit name theme is apple varieties but I haven't gone through and picked names for the girls yet.

Big boy is Artie though because all giant white floofs must be Artie.

Someone asked about their tattoos. They're from a show breeder and all show buns need a tattoo for identification in their left ears. That way no one accidentally takes home the wrong rabbit or anything like that. The lady uses a tattoo pen and it takes like 30 seconds to do and really doesn't hurt them much at all. A common one is to list the first letter of the rabbit's mom's name, the first letter of the rabbit's dad's name and what number rabbit in their litter they were. So Artie is PW3 because his mom is Purl2, his dad is Whirl, and he was the 3rd bun to be tattooed in his litter.

Here's a video of someone doing an ear tattoo. The rabbit doesn't freak out at all and its over in seconds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODg2O3k_wIA

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I approve of the Artierabbit. :3: Also you should totally call one of them Granny Smith.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
Aaaagh buns! :3: I know you mentioned they were part of a project, but I'm clueless about rabbits... Are you going to be making things out of all that fluff?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

morcant posted:

Aaaagh buns! :3: I know you mentioned they were part of a project, but I'm clueless about rabbits... Are you going to be making things out of all that fluff?

Floofbuns are what my mom has always wanted to raise so she's going to be taking the lead on deciding if/when to breed them, which ones to keep, grooming them etc. They'll be plucked and trimmed when they shed out and the fur will be used to make the softest, warmest yarn you could ever want. I think she was talking about mixing it with the kid mohair this fall.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Rose had triplets last night! We weren't expecting her to go for a couple of days, but I walked out to feed last night and, hey, baby on the ground. Thank god we did the prep work early. Fortunately, it turned out to be a fast, uneventful delivery.

#1 (girl), getting cleaned by mom. We haven't come up with names for them yet.

#1 on the left, #3 (girl) yawning in the front, #2 (boy) on the right. You can see their half-brother Jack lingering around in the background.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Buns lots of buns. They've all settled in just fine and I still can't get over how adorable they are. Rabbit name theme is apple varieties but I haven't gone through and picked names for the girls yet.

In order, they should be:

Granny (Granny Smith)

Pink (Pink Lady) or Fuji

Gala

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Haystack posted:

Rose had triplets last night! We weren't expecting her to go for a couple of days, but I walked out to feed last night and, hey, baby on the ground. Thank god we did the prep work early. Fortunately, it turned out to be a fast, uneventful delivery.

#1 on the left, #3 (girl) yawning in the front, #2 (boy) on the right. You can see their half-brother Jack lingering around in the background.

LOOK at those LONG ears! CUTIES!

Instant Jellyfish, will your mom spin the bun fur then? I guess I'm thinking that would be a LOT of work but ohhhh so soft!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Haystack posted:

Yay! Congrats on the floppy eared little ones!

Sociopastry posted:

In order, they should be:

Granny (Granny Smith)

Pink (Pink Lady) or Fuji

Gala

Excellent choices. We're going with Cameo for the blue but REW is Pink Lady and chestnut is Gala. A+ bunny naming sociopastry.

piscesbobbie posted:

LOOK at those LONG ears! CUTIES!

Instant Jellyfish, will your mom spin the bun fur then? I guess I'm thinking that would be a LOT of work but ohhhh so soft!

I'm not sure if she will be spinning it or if we'll hire someone. She doesn't have a ton of time to practice and angora is hard for beginners. We'll see though!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

The smallest of babby goats. Their mom has finally let them out of the barn and they have decided I am not as evil and scary as I first appear.

Eatin a leaf.

Eatin a grass.

Trying to eat a stick then kicking it out of her own mouth.

I'm super excited about having 2 pink goats now, although Taffy is more of an apricot color now.

So cute!

The white one is almost 2 lbs bigger than the pink one.

The rare two headed baby goat.

Keeping an eye on me.

Maybe just one more leaf.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

The white one is almost 2 lbs bigger than the pink one.

:stare: Look at how loving cute this little goat is. LOOK AT IT

It's got a big fat belly and the tiniest head ever

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Oh I forgot I took a video too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yri77_biuY

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

That grass is too big for you, little one!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

How's Mom handled having two babies? Is she adjusted to the grafting, yet, or is there still a lot of convincing required?

Haystack posted:

I can't stand these ears, oh my god. The urge to nibble on them is overwhelming. I love these goatlings!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

my cat is norris posted:

How's Mom handled having two babies? Is she adjusted to the grafting, yet, or is there still a lot of convincing required?

Oh those are both her own babies, she had twins, no grafting needed. Electra struggled to produce enough milk at first but seems fine now after a bunch of tasty oatmeal. The big white one is 2 lbs more than the little pink one so I'll be keeping an eye on them to make sure they're both growing alright but they seemed horribly offended when I offered them supplemental milk so their tummies must be full enough.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Aaa I can't keep these babies straight.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
How can you stand it?! All the cute!

Seriously.. you have pink goats. That is just ridiculous. Pink. Your flock is becoming dangerously adorable.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I don't think I knew goats could come in pink. :3: Also I love that she is pink all over apart from her white head.

e: and pink ears as well :3:

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Two more babies, the last of the year.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Haystack posted:

Two more babies, the last of the year.

What precious little nubs! I love the blue roan one :kimchi:

My babgoats are growing and growing. The new little ones aren't packing on the pounds like Truffleumps and Tifftaff did but there's two of them fighting for the udder and its later in the season. They'll catch up eventually.

I still haven't come up with names for them. My mom suggested Marzipan for one of them but I'm not sure which.

I don't take enough pictures of the big boys. Here's Rex trying to pull down a tree.

Goliath, who is so sweet and gentle. He's up for sale this year because I really need to cut back on boys but I sort of hope no one wants him.

Sherman who is also for sale and is sort of a pushy jerk so I don't feel as bad about it.

He is so fat! How did he get so fat on just grass? Seriously he's the fattest animal on the farm.

Big Two, looking impressive as always. I thought he had a mild case of ryegrass staggers (he had a head nodding tic for months) but it went away and now he's fine.

And Windsor who is looking like a grown up ram now as a 2 year old. His horn never did grow back right after getting infected and removed by the vet.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Big Two, looking impressive as always. I thought he had a mild case of ryegrass staggers (he had a head nodding tic for months) but it went away and now he's fine.

drat, that is impressive!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Hello Instant Jellyfish. I have a question about the Jacob Sheep. How heavy are those horns? They look to be big, heavy and massive! Are looks just deceiving? Thank you in advance for being so kind and answering my stupid questions!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

piscesbobbie posted:

Hello Instant Jellyfish. I have a question about the Jacob Sheep. How heavy are those horns? They look to be big, heavy and massive! Are looks just deceiving? Thank you in advance for being so kind and answering my stupid questions!

They are very heavy. The have a bone core covered in thick keratin and Twofer's are over a foot long each. Rams have an incredibly thick and heavy skull to begin with because they enjoy smashing them into things and then you add giant horns and its going to weigh a ton. The 2 horned skull I have weighs probably 25 lbs I'd guess (maybe I will remember to weigh it today).

Rams have massively thick and muscular necks though so holding up the horns isn't a problem. Two will even use them as a head rest, plonking one point into the ground to hold his head up while he sleeps. The only tricky part is that I can't put hay feeders or water buckets or minerals next to walls or fences because then Twofer can't get to them because his horns are in the way. I've had people who've seen him get worried then he could impale you with them but he's actually the easiest to lead because the horns are wide enough that they go on either side of my body as I'm leading him and even if he lunges towards me his horns are well out of the way. Plus he's a big teddy bear and just wants cuddles anyway.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Two will even use them as a head rest, plonking one point into the ground to hold his head up while he sleeps.

We desperately need pictures of this.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

How did Windsor's horn get infected? Was it right at the base? How did the vet remove it?

He is very 80s Vogue.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Heath wound up with so many babies :stare:

Goliath :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Tasty_Crayon posted:

How did Windsor's horn get infected? Was it right at the base? How did the vet remove it?

He is very 80s Vogue.

He got his leg stuck in a wall and between him thrashing around and the other boys beating him up it got snapped right at the base. It was a bloodbath! It didn't come all the way off and I got the bleeding stopped but infection set in so I called the vet out. He said we could try to save the horn but really Win is more important than his horn so he took a gigli wire saw to it and lopped it right off. He needed to cauterize the base to burn away infection and keep it from bleeding too much and it damaged the horn bud so it didn't grow back the same. It's actually fused with his vertical horn on that side now instead of being its own separate horn.

Writer Cath posted:

Heath wound up with so many babies :stare:

Goliath :3:

I had to do some serious apologizing to Heath because he did a good job despite me mocking him so much. All girls!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

I had to do some serious apologizing to Heath because he did a good job despite me mocking him so much. All girls!
[/quote]

Oh that's right. You took him to the doc and they pulled out his boy bit! Was the doc visit before or after he saw the man sheep doing their 'thing.' I know I shouldn't laugh at that... More girls by Heath means more girls for Rex next season?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

piscesbobbie posted:

Oh that's right. You took him to the doc and they pulled out his boy bit! Was the doc visit before or after he saw the man sheep doing their 'thing.' I know I shouldn't laugh at that... More girls by Heath means more girls for Rex next season?

He got tutored by Mr. Win before the vet came out. Truffle and Taffy were conceived before the vet came out, the little twins were after.

I've just started doing breeding plans. Truffie, Taffy, and the little twins will probably be bred to Rex next year and it should produce a lot of red babies with less fading. This year Heath will get Pearl and Opal at least and Rex will get Angela and Ginger. Dido will hopefully have a Rex kid in September so she'll have the fall off while I see how winter kids do and I'll have to see how Electra and Tootsie look in the fall before deciding to breed them then or wait until spring for Sept 2015 kids if I decide winter kids are alright.

My friend was working nights at the hospital this weekend so she needed baby goat pictures for strength.

Littlest pink goat.

And her sister.

Pouty lips

They needed to start coccidia prevention this week and I mix it with snow cone syrup so the littlest goats are now my best friends.

The pinkest babby :3:

Its a rough life when you're a small goat and have to use your own floof as a pillow.

Rexy is so big and square and shaggy.

Heath remains the dumbest creature so he had to have the rod of shame installed again.

My big buddy Goliath.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Heath remains the dumbest creature so he had to have the rod of shame installed again.

Bah ha ha Heath, you produce some pretty rear end babies but you are just so stupid. i love you Heath :3:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

YAY! More pictures! They are just so precious Instant Jellyfish! Heath is such a character! Thank you for the update and the photos!:h:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

We call it the Rod of Shame too!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

It's an important piece of goat equipment! I may have even gotten the idea from your thread.

I got really sick of going out every few hours to pull him out of the fence. For some reason he just compulsively had to do it so now he gets the rod until his horns are too big. None of the other goats have ever had this issue, even though I see them sticking their heads in and out of the fence all day. Heath just can't figure out the getting back out part of it.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

None of the other goats have ever had this issue, even though I see them sticking their heads in and out of the fence all day. Heath just can't figure out the getting back out part of it.

Are the goats just curious about how the grass on the other side tastes, or are they trying to get out?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

morcant posted:

Are the goats just curious about how the grass on the other side tastes, or are they trying to get out?

Both, and every other stupid idea their mind. Goats are always thinking, you see. "I could eat this hay here, or stick my head out over there and maybe get some dirt over there. I know, I'll climb this, hop here, balance on this, shoot this sentry, ninja like crazy to MAAAAAHHHH MAAAAAHHHH MY HEAD IS STUCK IN SAVE ME TERRIBLE HUMAN"

It takes a mighty mind to end up in such catastrophically stupid situations. Or at least, ambition.

\/\/ Nubians are the exception. They are the least goat goats. \/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 9, 2014

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

My nubians, on the other hand, seem to be too dumb to get into trouble. I once removed a fence panel from the boys pen and then forgot to put it back for a couple of hours, and they didn't even notice, let alone escape.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
I am of the opinion that there is no actual way to contain a goat. They only remain contained if they wish to. My goat would go on all sorts of adventures and would only come back when his horse buddy called to him. He loved standing on the neighbors porch and staring at them through the sliding glass door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

morcant posted:

The grass is always greener...

I mow around the perimeter of all my fencing but sometimes tall grasses and things grow up along the fenceline and the goats think its so much better than any grass they have growing in their pastures and stick their heads out to munch it. Only two of my goats actively try to escape and they mostly just want to go to my neighbor's hay fields and stuff themselves or sneak into my orchard and cram windfall apples into their faces. They always come back, they have a strict self imposed 8:30 pm bedtime.

• Locked thread