Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
My commute just got a lot more enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
I've posted this in a few other nerd-related threads, but I figure y'all would get a kick out of my bike. I just finished it, it took a little over a year to make.

It's a yamaha V-Star, XVS 1100.

It's surprisingly comfortable. I took it out carefully, and after a few changes it's a lot safer. It still handles like a pig with a saddle on it, but it's not really built for long rides. I put 70 miles on it the other day, gonna try some longer trips as soon as these storm belts pass.

The bulky steel plates are actually plastic. The gas tank is a dual-chamber air compressor welded up like the old cross tanks. All the rust is fake, the bike is actually in really good condition.

The front turn signals are built into the horns. It's pictured here with super traps with little mufflers. I have some rain caps for shows, the bike is loud as he'll without the traps on.

Seat is a john Deere tractor, can't have a rat without one!

All the raised sculptures are two-part epoxy clay, think JB weld made to sculpt with.

I had to get rid of the surge box to fit on the tank, I jetted out the carbs with a kit that mounts the K&N filters directly to the carbs, hence no dog dish.

It gets a lot of strange looks, but all in all people seem to like it.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Hahaha holy poo poo that's awesome. WAAAAAGGGGHHHHH1

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Razzled posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo that's awesome. WAAAAAGGGGHHHHH1

drat, I just realized you can't see the plate in these pictures. It's "WAAAGH" of course. Explaining it to the guy at the DMV was hilarious.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

I like it. The rusted/faded red everywhere looks well done.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
That front fender looks like it's actively trying to give you a flat tire.

Powerstone
May 30, 2010

What the fuck is this?
That just means that the tire will be able to spin faster, as it fears for its life.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Disappointed to see that the horns aren't actually the handlebars. That's awesome though. The half-destroyed checkerboard really makes it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Excellent. What is the 2 part clay you used for making parts?

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

malal posted:

I've posted this in a few other nerd-related threads, but I figure y'all would get a kick out of my bike. I just finished it, it took a little over a year to make.

It's a yamaha V-Star, XVS 1100.

It's surprisingly comfortable. I took it out carefully, and after a few changes it's a lot safer. It still handles like a pig with a saddle on it, but it's not really built for long rides. I put 70 miles on it the other day, gonna try some longer trips as soon as these storm belts pass.

The bulky steel plates are actually plastic. The gas tank is a dual-chamber air compressor welded up like the old cross tanks. All the rust is fake, the bike is actually in really good condition.

The front turn signals are built into the horns. It's pictured here with super traps with little mufflers. I have some rain caps for shows, the bike is loud as he'll without the traps on.

Seat is a john Deere tractor, can't have a rat without one!

All the raised sculptures are two-part epoxy clay, think JB weld made to sculpt with.

I had to get rid of the surge box to fit on the tank, I jetted out the carbs with a kit that mounts the K&N filters directly to the carbs, hence no dog dish.

It gets a lot of strange looks, but all in all people seem to like it.

It need more DAKKA! (everything always need more DAKKA!!!)

Completely awesome :) Now just get your self a helmet with nob power jaw

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Excellent. What is the 2 part clay you used for making parts?

I prefer a brand called "Magic Sculpt," you order it online, it's around 40 bucks for five pounds. It works just like green stuff, 50/50 ratio of kicker and base.

adary posted:

It need more DAKKA! (everything always need more DAKKA!!!)

Completely awesome :) Now just get your self a helmet with nob power jaw

I will eventually make dakka for shows, for now though I just wanna ride. No strange helmets! Thing is squirrly enough to ride, I'll go with my stock Snell/DOT, thank you very much!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

No self-respecting ork would use those Imperial ammo boxes unmodified, what are you? Some kind of weakling humie? :orks:

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

malal posted:

I prefer a brand called "Magic Sculpt," you order it online, it's around 40 bucks for five pounds. It works just like green stuff, 50/50 ratio of kicker and base.

I will eventually make dakka for shows, for now though I just wanna ride. No strange helmets! Thing is squirrly enough to ride, I'll go with my stock Snell/DOT, thank you very much!

For those same shows you can get your self some sort of a contraption that would strap on to your dot/snell helmet and look like a power jaw (just a thought). You gotta go all the way with this one, at least for a photo shoot that will earn you bajillion geek points.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Assumed Poe's law by default, until I reverse GIS'ed

Still a little confused why you started with a black one instead of a red one, though

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

adary posted:

For those same shows you can get your self some sort of a contraption that would strap on to your dot/snell helmet and look like a power jaw (just a thought). You gotta go all the way with this one, at least for a photo shoot that will earn you bajillion geek points.

Oh, I see what your saying. I will put something together for shows for sure. It's like the Dakka cannons, Just something to drive in a parking lot of a show or con.I buddy of mine suggested those 3/4 helmets with the gasmask and goggles covering the face. I've gotten a good response from cops so far, I figure giant machine guns may cause some issues though!

KozmoNaut posted:

No self-respecting ork would use those Imperial ammo boxes unmodified, what are you? Some kind of weakling humie? :orks:

Orks take trophies from enemies they respect. They're Steel Legion Ammo boxes.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Assumed Poe's law by default, until I reverse GIS'ed

Still a little confused why you started with a black one instead of a red one, though

Well, the project was started on a lark. I was walking by the construction department on a show I was working on, and saw the bike. turns out it was being sold by a friend of mine, the price and condition were right for the warbike so I bought it.

The original color would not have mattered though, save for the battery box cover and the tool cover. I pulled off the front and rear fenders and gas tank, everything else was chrome. I built the current fenders and gas tank, I still have all the original tin from the bike.

The bike is actually red so it goes faster. It's just buried under the rust and dirt.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Give it some dignity, take it out the back and shoot it.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

KARMA! posted:

Give it some dignity, take it out the back and shoot it.

You're right, it needs some bullet holes too.

Get on it malal.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

malal posted:

The bulky steel plates are actually plastic. All the rust is fake, the bike is actually in really good condition.

This is the most important part, I think. You made it look a very specific way, but you didn't ruin it (too much).

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Coming from a place where rust is a normal part of life, I'm still boggling over the "fake rust" thing. I mean... wtf :tinfoil:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

apatite posted:

Coming from a place where rust is a normal part of life, I'm still boggling over the "fake rust" thing. I mean... wtf :tinfoil:

It's hard for cars to get rusty for some folks :ca:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

apatite posted:

So I take it you've never seen one of these before?

(that's real rust, but deliberately applied)

tjones
May 13, 2005
I don't get it. Just, why?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Some of you would poo poo at what I do as my side job if you think that hood is retarded. Think doing that to copper. On $10m+ houses. For absurd money. Like 5 figures absurd.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Looks cool bro.

Don't look deeper, that is literally all there is to it. Take another notch out of your faith in humanity and move on with your life.

BlackMK4 posted:

Some of you would poo poo at what I do as my side job if you think that hood is retarded. Think doing that to copper. On $10m+ houses. For absurd money. Like 5 figures absurd.

Same reason, more money.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

tjones posted:

I don't get it. Just, why?

The same reason why people like Harley Davidsons. Because they like it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

BlackMK4 posted:

Bitches love green copper

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

nsaP posted:

Bitches love green copper

Green copper is what we avoid... we patina then clear.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 28, 2014

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Everyone here is apologizing that their copper isn't farther patina'd.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
People around here want this kinda brushed look above the window:

We do other colors/textures/shine levels but that is most common. If copper sits in Arizona it turns black and splotchy.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Odette posted:

The same reason why people like Harley Davidsons. Because they like it.

That's not a reason though? Why do they like it? Because they like it!! :engleft:

hit the bricks pal!
Jan 12, 2009
Got my license a few days ago, so much fun!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

brotastrophe posted:

Got my license a few days ago, so much fun!

With a username like that, I'm disappointed that your first pic isn't of a gixxer 1000 wadded up into the side of a Camry.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

With a username like that, I'm disappointed that your first pic isn't of a gixxer 1000 wadded up into the side of a Camry.

The real brotastrophe is the case of Natty Light that was tied to the tail, now scattered across the road. Dented, ruined cans as far as the eye can see.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Got a dedicated trackbike: 2001 F4i

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ripoff posted:

The real brotastrophe is the case of Natty Light that was tied to the tail, now scattered across the road. Dented, ruined cans as far as the eye can see.

What percentage is american 'light' beer out of curiosity? All those retarded drinking games I've seen on TV are endlessly fascinating; why can't you just get wasted normally?

kuffs posted:

Got a dedicated trackbike: 2001 F4i

Get a sticker that says '-vey' to complete the bit by the screen :v:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Slavvy posted:

What percentage is american 'light' beer out of curiosity? All those retarded drinking games I've seen on TV are endlessly fascinating; why can't you just get wasted normally?

Usually around 4%. There is also a special category of low-alcohol beers that are all 3.2%, which is the maximum that can be sold in Utah.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Usually around 4%. There is also a special category of low-alcohol beers that are all 3.2%, which is the maximum that can be sold in Utah.

A friend of mine just got back from a trip thru Utah and said he bought some higher ABV beer - either they changed the law or it's not enforced a lot.

I rarely play drinking games, but they're always fun while they last. I had a good drinking game going a few superbowls ago but by halftime everyone was too smashed to pay attention. Beer pong is a lot of fun too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sagebrush posted:

Pretty sure I got normal 5-ish% beer last time I was in 'ol Joe Smiths backyard.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

You can buy higher than 3.2 at state-owned liquor stores, everywhere else sells 3.2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
IIRC 3.2 is the upper limit on draught. Bottled stuff comes higher.