Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kevsop
Jul 20, 2011

Pork Pro
i still want one if they're going out but I'm a pretty bad poster so its up in the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

━━━━━┒try to take some Women and
┓┏┓┏┓┃genders study classes
┃┗┛┃┃┃\○/
┃┏┓┃┃┃ /
┃┃┃┃┃┃ノ)
┃┃┃┃┃┃
┃┗┛┃┃┃
┃┏┓┃┃┃
┃┃┃┃┃┃
┃┃┃┃┃┃
┃┃┃┃┃┃
~~~~~~~~~~

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

┃┗┛┃┃┃\○/
┃┏┓┃┃┃ /
┃┃┃┃┃┃ノ)
┃┃┃┃┃┃
┃┗┛┃┃┃
┃┏┓┃┃┃
┃┃┃┃┃┃
┃┃┃┃┃┃
┃┃┃┃┃┃
~~~~~~~~~~

lol

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

┃┗┛┃┃┃\○/
┃┏┓┃┃┃ /
┃┃┃┃┃┃ノ)
┃┃┃┃┃┃
┃┗┛┃┃┃
┃┏┓┃┃┃
┃┃┃┃┃┃
┃┃┃┃┃┃
┃┃┃┃┃┃
~~~~~~~~~~

lmfao

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

discount cathouse fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jun 29, 2014

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

where can i get one of those "original gamer" tags?

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.

Games are fart

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

the walking dead game is a really poor choice of things to stake that sort of argument behind imo.

like you could make it for sure but a mainstream licensed television show game ostensibly about making choices but with ultimately little impact on a fixed narrative is ummmm, problematic to say the least

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

also the unique art-ness of games has very little to do with storytelling and almost everything to do with gameplay, but i'll just stop going on about this before i ascend into the human being dimension

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The Walking Dead game is good

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
The Walking Dead games are a really great example at how even a tiny bit of engaging interactivity (and good writing) can make even an interactive novel really emotionally investing and is a testament to how loving bad games that can't even pull that off are

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Hat Thoughts posted:

The Walking Dead game is good
its extremelx bad, even by the standards of virtual novels (vn)

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Heavy Lobster posted:

The Walking Dead games are a really great example at how even a tiny bit of engaging interactivity (and good writing) can make even an interactive novel really emotionally investing and is a testament to how loving bad games that can't even pull that off are

if you're playing games to see writing, then i dont know why you want to play games in the first place. books are real, and the whole thing that makes video games stand out is all of their aspects which are not completely fixed and authored.

its like the exact sort of thing stanley parable addresses: if your only gameplay interaction is to follow a limited number of pre-destined paths then are your choices meaningful at all? Not really.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Do you not like Asura's Wrath too then?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Hat Thoughts posted:

Do you not like Asura's Wrath too then?

its pretty cool and i do like it, but its mostly an animated movie.

i like stanley parable a whole lot too, its extremely good, but i honestly can't really call it a good game because it doesnt do the things that are good for games to do. it's just a good, uh, interactive written thing.

but i'd still call it a good game in more casual contexts, of course, because nobody ever really goes into specific "what is game, what should game be" stuff like that normally

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jun 29, 2014

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
There are good storygames, but none of them involve zombies.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Huh, personally, if a game can get any kind of positive reaction out of me then I think it's good. Whether or not that experience was scripted or organic, I suppose the form doesn't really concern me much. Vidcons are mostly timewasters to me

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Game storytelling on an actual writing level is nothing special but it's also a really good medium for super easily conveying settings + empathy and that's not really a bad thing? Games writing is bad because game devs hire whatever schmuck in the testing department came up with a cool name for a subboss once not because the medium is inherently terrible at storytelling, and while having variables in a story can be one of games' strengths it's also not like every game is under the pretense that you're doing anything more than filling a role and uncovering a predetermined story

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Hat Thoughts posted:

Huh, personally, if a game can get any kind of positive reaction out of me then I think it's good. Whether or not that experience was scripted or organic, I suppose the form doesn't really concern me much. Vidcons are mostly timewasters to me

i mean, i do still think those things are good. that was my whole point, in fact, good is good regardless. quality is independent of whether or not something is good as a game (or whether or not something is art, to leave gaming behind and speak generally about qualitatively looking at creative stuff).

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Is it fascism yet posted:

Uuhm resident evil you pleb

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Is it fascism yet posted:

Good storygames list:

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

I think the real answer we can all agree on is that devs need to stop writing lovely stories for video games and instead write good ones.

e:

qnqnx posted:

Good storygames list:

Dungeon World is pretty fun

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

make a thread about whether games are Art or not if you want to argue about that, instead of ruining the good thread with the funny bowsers in it please, thanks

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

qnqnx posted:

Good storygames list:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kCn8I_fAd8

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

rip good tony hawk games, goddamn

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Heavy Lobster posted:

I think the real answer we can all agree on is that devs need to stop writing lovely stories for video games and instead write good ones.

they don't need to bother writing any stories in the first place, or only write the barest bones lazy thing if they really want to, because games are most able to be expressive mechanically rather than by trying to mimic other media forms

basically writing a pure-story game like Walking Dead is like making a movie that is just text scrolling on a screen. you're using the wrong medium and ignoring all the unique strengths of what you're trying to work with, it misses the point right from the start.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Heavy Lobster posted:

I'd rather have no stories and focus what is really important: gameplay

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Dwight Evans posted:

make a thread about whether games are Art or not if you want to argue about that, instead of ruining the good thread with the funny bowsers in it please, thanks

Good idea.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
Story games that own:
Good written classic graphic adventures
Phoenix wright
Ghost Trick
999/vlr
[In snake voice]: Metal gear?!?!?!?!

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

I'm sorry for derailing.......... *ahem* friend of the family.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

lesbian baphomet posted:

I'm sorry for derailing.......... *ahem* friend of the family.

Thank you

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

lmao u nerds spend money on this

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

FutureFriend posted:

What

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

all the fives in my heart that i can give.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

FutureFriend posted:

The gang tags were free, pal

Dec 26, 2012

FutureFriend posted:

nobody spent money on this

not yet anyway