Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Aston posted:

Man, I don't know about your cool rap, but then again I don't think Jon Snow would either. This is the best I got.

Yo, Night's Watch, Let's kick it!

All right stop, collaborate and listen
Snow is back from my Wilding mission
Something grabs a hold of me tightly
Dead men are rising daily and nightly
Will it ever stop? Yo – I don't know
Turn off the lights and blue eyes glow
A thousand dead Wildlings - too much to handle
Get a bonfire burning and light 'em up like a candle.

Ghost, go rush the Walker that staggers
I'm killing your brain like a dragonglass dagger
Deadly, when they're immune to our weaponry
But to break our vows would be a felony
Love it or leave it, I topped the poll
You got a new Lord Commander in charge of the wall
Winter is coming but I'll survive it
Stab my body to death but Melisandre revives it

Snow Snow Baby. Snow Snow Baby.

:iceburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
The only explanation for the Pink Letter that makes sense is that Stannis is purposefully faking his death in collusion with Manderly. That's why he tells that knight to keep pursuing mercenaries even if he hears that Stannis has died. Likely they smash the Frey force, give Manderly the magic sword and convince Ramsay he's won for the minute, before pulling off a Trojan horse maneuver.

Or he's dead. Which would be a bummer.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

At first I was thinking how could they not do Informer by Snow but really that was just fantastic, as was the previous one.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mike N Eich posted:

The only explanation for the Pink Letter that makes sense is that Stannis is purposefully faking his death in collusion with Manderly. That's why he tells that knight to keep pursuing mercenaries even if he hears that Stannis has died. Likely they smash the Frey force, give Manderly the magic sword and convince Ramsay he's won for the minute, before pulling off a Trojan horse maneuver.

Or he's dead. Which would be a bummer.

That is most likely, as really I am not sure how much longer GRRM can stretch out the Bolton story. At least if Stannis wins their can be trying to gain the throne shenanigans. The Boltons have peaked. Sansa's story would just be the exact same thing Stannis was doing.

Plus it is an endpoint for the "North Remembers" thing they have going on. Blueballing us is just dumb.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 1, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Mike N Eich posted:

Wow, that's probably it right there. He probably sends the ravens back to Winterfell saying he's dead and goes Metal Gear Stannis.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Metal Gear Stannis.

Would

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Wow, that's probably it right there. He probably sends the ravens back to Winterfell saying he's dead and goes Metal Gear Stannis.

how does Stannis get anything from telling Jon about this though? Unless he expects and wants Jon to go break his fuckin oath and also thinks that his plan is going to take a long rear end time so Jon can get there. Either way Stannis would not be happy about Jon breaking his oaths.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Great now I'm imagining the MGS comm screens with Stannis and Colonel Davos and Merylsandre.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

:confused: "Whom's footprints are these?"

*QTE button mash sequence to choke down the need to correct the gaurd*

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

CharlestheHammer posted:

No I mean that someone else (Mace is usually who they pick) wrote it. Like I said forgery not false.

Am I just mixing the popular theory up?
If Mance Raydar did it to needle Jon into showing up at Winterfell with an army of his Wildlings, that seems like pretty a good gain.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

jsoh posted:

how does Stannis get anything from telling Jon about this though? Unless he expects and wants Jon to go break his fuckin oath and also thinks that his plan is going to take a long rear end time so Jon can get there. Either way Stannis would not be happy about Jon breaking his oaths.

He doesn't, Ramsay is still the one who wrote the pink letter.

The sequence goes...

Winterfell force marches out to fight Stannis and are defeated, Manderly turns cloak at some point
Stannis takes their Ravens and send a letter back to Winterfell saying "Stannis is dead", gives Manderly Lightbringer
Manderly and Co return to Winterfell with some excuse as to why only Manderly/Stannis loyal peeps have returned
Ramsay feels emboldened by his "win" and sends the Pink Letter.

By all accounts Stannis just plain doesn't care about Jon after he refused his offer to become lord of Winterfell.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Ramsay deffo didnt write the letter. He hates the word bastard and his writing is noted for being really lovely and there is no flesh in the envelope, also there is no way newly Ramsay Bolton would have not sealed the letter with his sigil

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

jsoh posted:

Ramsay deffo didnt write the letter. He hates the word bastard and his writing is noted for being really lovely and there is no flesh in the envelope, also there is no way newly Ramsay Bolton would have not sealed the letter with his sigil

But why would anyone else give a poo poo about Reek and fake-Arya?

I would say the only other candidate I would buy would be Mance in some sort of collusion but that seems far fetched.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

The Boltons have peaked.

I think Ramsay has, but I'll never get tired of Roose. He's such an awesomely creepy motherfucker.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Majorian posted:

I think Ramsay has, but I'll never get tired of Roose. He's such an awesomely creepy motherfucker.

Well I meant there isn't much more they can do, getting the North is about as far as they can go. Roose is interesting, Ramasy was too, but after the stuff during the wedding his gimmick has just run thin.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well I meant there isn't much more they can do, getting the North is about as far as they can go. Roose is interesting, Ramasy was too, but after the stuff during the wedding his gimmick has just run thin.

Ah, right. Yes, it seems unlikely that they will accomplish much more at this point.

e:

jsoh posted:

Ramsay deffo didnt write the letter. He hates the word bastard

He did before he was legitimized, but now that he's a Bolton and not a Snow, perhaps he's taken a liking to it?

Majorian fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 1, 2014

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

jsoh posted:

I've never found this all that convincing. Sure the letter doesn't have all the hallmarks of a Ramsay letter but I just don't think Ramsay has a standardized version of the way he writes letters. I chock up the lack of a seal on the letter to Ramsay being in a rush to send it and doesn't really care about the pleasantries. He calls Jon "bastard" a bunch because he wants to lord over his legitimized status to someone he knows would feel the sting of being a bastard. I can't imagine anyone else can really capture his "voice" except really Theon, and there's no motive for Theon to write the letter.

Maybe someone else wrote it? I dunno and we'll never find out (because the books never coming out, lol)

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
HBO might tell us!

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
I could see Mance writing the letter to trick Jon into coming south with an army of wildlings, at which point Mance dramatically reveals himself and takes the wildling army from Jon.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

keiran_helcyan posted:

I could see Mance writing the letter to trick Jon into coming south with an army of wildlings, at which point Mance dramatically reveals himself and takes the wildling army from Jon.
Then he sends a Wildling to tell Stannis "Hey, you said we can we have some holds as part of the alliance you're trying to maintain with us, right? Well, some of us found one we really like!"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Seems like kind of a gamble to assume Jon would come down at all, much less break his oath and march on Winterfell with a bunch of wildlings. And especially weird seeing as the stabbings would seem to put the kibosh on that scenario before it's even revealed.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

It's legit to doubt that he could predict Jon's actions that well, but is it really a gamble? What would Mance have to lose by doing it?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Lycus posted:

It's legit to doubt that he could predict Jon's actions that well, but is it really a gamble? What would Mance have to lose by doing it?

Depends entirely on his actual situation at Winterfell which is a complete unknown I think. Interesting stuff I hadn't thought about before though. I'm jazzed for the HBO show to catch up so I have a decent excuse to re-read this hulking masses of wonderful crap.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Yeah the letter seems designed to taunt Jon and provoke the wildlings into taking action (and that's because it is). The talk of Mance being alive, the overuse of the word bastard, the threats against children, the revelry in the torture of the spearwives - all deliberately provocative.

If you consider Mance's current situation, probably holed up in the crypts below Winterfell while the castle is in lockdown and a blizzard is preventing any escape, his current options are: wait until Ramsay finds him and kills him painfully, wait until Stannis finds him and kills him painfully, or hope Jon takes the bait. Jon is literally the last person in the North with any semblance of power who wouldn't immediately kill him on sight, especially since (as far as Mance is aware) he just rescued Arya.

Also, disregarding all other evidence, we know the letter was written by a wildling because only wildlings use the term "black crows" to refer to brothers of the Night's Watch. "Crows" is common vernacular, but in five books "black crows" has been used eleven times exclusively by wildlings (and Jon, in one instance where he is talking to wildlings and mocks their term).

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
Alliser Thorne wrote that letter you dorks.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Ever since I discovered whispersync on Kindle, I've been loving listening to audiobooks.

...but MAN, why does every drat character have to sound like the drat Lucky Charms leprechaun?

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Well, I have *really* been trying to take my time with ADWD. Despite having been well-spoiled going into this one book (which I really didn't much care about) I have been taking my time over the last three months and just reading a chapter here and there between other books, given that I know it'll be a long wait for the next one yet still. But unfortunately I'm like 750 pages in now and almost finished so far. Some thoughts:

I was shocked that Tyrion wasn't asking more people "Where do whores go?" I actually really liked that motif, and the concept of him posing it as an incredibly obvious yet unanswerable question. I actually sort of connected with it, because it nicely represented this disconnected nihilism that pervades much of his early chapters, and how shell-shocked he is both over his actions and over what an awful joke his life is, with the punchline finally being revealed when Jamie told him the truth about Tysha. Of course he's going around asking "Where do whores go?" He *wants* to find Tysha, and knows it's utterly irrational and foolish and impossible, but he cannot help but go through the tired motions. Also, he likes provoking people and asking foolishly obvious questions, something he has done from the dtart.

I've also been extremely pleasantly surprised at how by and large excellent all the chapters taking place in The North have been - the Theon/Reek chapters in particular being some of the best stuff Martin's written since ASoS. Those chapters really have a lot going for them - not only is Theon a truly fascinating and complex character to be in the head of (as far as this series goes) but he's also witnessing some really fascinating plot developments. His chapters also have Ramsay, arguably more purely terrifying/horrifying and psychopathic than Joffrey. The Davos chapters were similarly a lot of fun, not only because Davos owns but because Wyman Manderly also turns out to be one of the book's secret heroes - a plot point I wasn't spoiled on, happily. Also that was totally Frey Pie.

Jon Snow's chapters have been good so far, too. I also wanted to add that I officially am on team "Bisexual Jon Snow". He talks about how pretty/lovely Satin is at least as much as Tyrion inquires about the whereabouts of whores, and then takes him on as "personal steward". Right Jon, wink wink nudge nudge. All of Castle Black knows what's going on there.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I am livid. gently caress you for posting zenpencils.

I hope you meet GRRM at a convention, you son of a bitch. I hope you meet GRRM. :mad:

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

In It For The Tank posted:

If you consider Mance's current situation, probably holed up in the crypts below Winterfell while the castle is in lockdown and a blizzard is preventing any escape, his current options are: wait until Ramsay finds him and kills him painfully, wait until Stannis finds him and kills him painfully, or hope Jon takes the bait. Jon is literally the last person in the North with any semblance of power who wouldn't immediately kill him on sight, especially since (as far as Mance is aware) he just rescued Arya.

Also, disregarding all other evidence, we know the letter was written by a wildling because only wildlings use the term "black crows" to refer to brothers of the Night's Watch. "Crows" is common vernacular, but in five books "black crows" has been used eleven times exclusively by wildlings (and Jon, in one instance where he is talking to wildlings and mocks their term).

Witerfell is colossal. And Mance is very experienced when it comes to sneaking around. I can't see him cowering in one place when he's always bragging about being able to climb around so easily. He was looking for the Horn of Joramun that was probably taken by the Starks and that would explain the spearwives interests in finding the location of the crypts. Parts 8 and 9 here are really interesting: http://branvras.free.fr/HuisClos/Horn.html

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I hope you meet GRRM at a convention, you son of a bitch. I hope you meet GRRM. :mad:

:aaa:Holy poo poo! I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Not anyone!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

So Jon is a white walker and probably similar to that Black Ranger that Bran met right?

This is based off what I remember from reading the entire series in a few days when I was recovering from appendicitis, so it may be is stupid.

EDIT: or maybe melisandre did that mance rayder poo poo again and it wasn't really jon. gently caress I don't know I'm really tired right now.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

GreyPowerVan posted:

So Jon is a white walker and probably similar to that Black Ranger that Bran met right?

Nah, Jon got stabbed by mutineers in the Watch, but he's probably not dead because that would be too stupid a move for even GRRM to make.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Majorian posted:

Nah, Jon got stabbed by mutineers in the Watch, but he's probably not dead because that would be too stupid a move for even GRRM to make.

See, I need to reread that section. I thought he was 100% dead (or an illusion like mance/rattleshirt). I probably just mistook it.

EDIT: Looking back, weren't most of his chapters titled LORD COMMANDER, yet that is is simply titled JON SNOW. Makes you think.

While we're on it... Jon is Rhaegar/Lyanna's son, right? That's what I'm gathering.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 2, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The chapter ends with him losing consciousness, and we don't get any Wall POVs afterward to tell us his status.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Rosscifer posted:

Witerfell is colossal. And Mance is very experienced when it comes to sneaking around. I can't see him cowering in one place when he's always bragging about being able to climb around so easily. He was looking for the Horn of Joramun that was probably taken by the Starks and that would explain the spearwives interests in finding the location of the crypts. Parts 8 and 9 here are really interesting: http://branvras.free.fr/HuisClos/Horn.html

He would be cowering in one place now that he's been exposed by association as being involved in the plot to steal Arya. The spearwives were found out, so he's in deep poo poo. The castle would be in lockdown and everyone would be looking for him, and the blizzard would inhibit his ability to climb or escape the walls (not to mention the army outside the walls). The crypts are the only place where he might be safe since only Barbrey Dustin and Big Walder know where the entrance is, and the true depths of the crypts have never been explored. Plus, hiding in the crypts is the natural thematic conclusion of Mance's recreation of the story of Bael the Bard, because Bael hid in the crypts as well.

Of all the Winterfell Huis Clos' conclusions, Mance finding the Horn of Joramun is the most out there. I think Bran Vras is much better at identifying symbols, imagery, and themes than theory crafting. I find it more likely that Mance wanted to find the crypts in order to have a place to hide and discuss his plans in private and/or because of his interest in folklore and history (again, Bael the Bard).

Why would Mance even want the Horn of Winter anyway? It allegedly destroys the Wall, and the entire point of his mass mobilization of wildlings was to lead his people behind the Wall for protection. Even if he only wanted to recover it so that it could not fall into the wrong hands (which wouldn't make much sense since according to Bran Vras it's apparently been kept safely hidden in Winterfell crypts for thousands of years), that wouldn't explain why he blew it. Twice.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 2, 2014

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Solice Kirsk posted:

:aaa:Holy poo poo! I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Not anyone!

There's a reason I have to hide my true identity on these forums, Solice Kirsk. The Mossad has decided I'm depraved enough to be a war criminal, and they hunt me day and night.

If you'll excuse me, I need to move to a new location. My VPN is no longer securely routed through three dozen proxy nodes.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

If Mance sent the letter to get an army brought to him, the plan might not even be a failure. Tormund can be all like, "Sorry you got all stabbed up, Jon. But I'm gonna go save Mance."

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

There's a reason I have to hide my true identity on these forums, Solice Kirsk. The Mossad has decided I'm depraved enough to be a war criminal, and they hunt me day and night.

If you'll excuse me, I need to move to a new location. My VPN is no longer securely routed through three dozen proxy nodes.

Too late - I'm secretly Fassbender's version of Magneto, and I'm coming for you.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Majorian posted:

Too late - I'm secretly Fassbender's version of Magneto, and I'm coming for you.

BoT is a Targaryen Nazi? :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Actually, I have been at a convention where he was talking. Stuff he talked about : going to conventions, stuff he didn't talk about : writing books.