Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

PantsOptional posted:

It's certainly implied. We're never going to have it answered outright though.

ADB says that question is never going to be answered unless BL lets the authors go beyond the current time frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
I find that so weird because honestly I have no idea how or why you would come to any other interpretation. Like, if he weren't their son, what would even be the thematic point of his existence or that chapter? Why the name? Etc.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

UberJumper posted:

ADB says that question is never going to be answered unless BL lets the authors go beyond the current time frame.

He also says that he hates that question, so...

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

AndyElusive posted:

For those interested, Black Library has also sorted all of the Horus Heresy releases into a suggested reading order to reflect the timeline on their webstore. There's a lot of audio drama and ebook only content squeezed in between the novels that I'm afraid I'll never get around to ever reading or hearing. :ohdear:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/our-ranges-horus-heresy.html

goddamn thats like, over £600 worth of horus heresy poo poo :negative:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Arquinsiel posted:

One of the Shiria Calpurnia novels is exactly that. Whichever one revolves around the Rogue Trader contract signed by the Emperor himself. Basically everyone wants it for various reasons.

Pretty much all of the Calpurnia novels are essentially political thrillers revolving around a highly complex world and the factions within the Imperium. They are all really good I highly recommend them. They're definitely on that second tier behind ADB/Abnett and well worth reading.

The rogue trader one was really good, which was the 2nd book if I recall.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Is it me or is the Age of Darkness thousand sons story a huge reference to the Blood Ravens from the Dawn of War games?

KramFoot
Sep 25, 2011

Sandweed posted:

Is it me or is the Age of Darkness thousand sons story a huge reference to the Blood Ravens from the Dawn of War games?

Yeah it really is , considering that according to the blood ravens codex their chapter founder was Arvida.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

maev posted:

goddamn thats like, over £600 worth of horus heresy poo poo :negative:

Still cheaper than actually playing Warhammer 30K! :classiclol:

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

KramFoot posted:

Yeah it really is , considering that according to the blood ravens codex their chapter founder was Arvida.

I did not know that, by codex you mean tabletop rule book?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

KramFoot posted:

There's no Blood Ravens codex. They're not even mentioned in the newest Space Marines codex, aside from maybe one little picture of a painted Blood Raven in the unknown founding chapter section. That's all implied stuff from some Horus Heresy stuff.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So I just finished off Ravenor, and might have actually enjoyed it more than the reread of Eisenhorn that came before it. Not sure how bad a person that makes me. :v: It did make me realize one thing though, having just caught up on Gaunt a couple months ago; GRRM is a goddamn amateur at killing beloved characters, Abnett's bodycount is not only higher but (personally) more meaningful.

KramFoot
Sep 25, 2011

SRM posted:

There's no Blood Ravens codex. They're not even mentioned in the newest Space Marines codex, aside from maybe one little picture of a painted Blood Raven in the unknown founding chapter section. That's all implied stuff from some Horus Heresy stuff.

I'm an idiot. I was thinking of the article they had in White Dwarf.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Apparently the next Horus Heresy book after the Damnation of Pythos is going to be another short story collection Legacies of Betrayal.

Apparently it has a 3 short stories, by Gav Thorpe, Chris Wright, and ADB. The Cypher Story is by Gav Thorpe :negative:

Also according to ADB, Abnett is super busy with writing for video games and marvel. But he has apparently started work on the next GG book.

*EDIT* Apparently ADB is also writing a novella about the duel between the Lion and Russ.

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 6, 2014

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

UberJumper posted:

Apparently the next Horus Heresy book after the Damnation of Pythos is going to be another short story collection Legacies of Betrayal.

Apparently it has a 3 short stories, by Gav Thorpe, Chris Wright, and ADB. The Cypher Story is by Gav Thorpe :negative:
That sounds like it'll be a decent book though I'm kind of curious what the other stories will be about. I'm not surprised that Thorpe's writing a Cypher story given what's going on in his 40k series. And if it means anything, Master of Sanctity wasn't bad at all. It thought it was a lot better than Ravenwing so maybe Thorpe is improving. :unsmith:

UberJumper posted:

*EDIT* Apparently ADB is also writing a novella about the duel between the Lion and Russ.
Yeessss :getin:

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

UberJumper posted:

Well gently caress consider me hyped

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Reading Age of Darkness. Why are the salamanders fighting ultra marines?

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

vigorous sodomy posted:

Reading Age of Darkness. Why are the salamanders fighting ultra marines?

It's a short story, it's not like it takes forever to get to the end of it. And it's revealed well beyond the end if I remember right. It's a simulation, the ultramarines are keeping an open mind as to who is a traitor and who isn't

I just finished Deliverance lost, it wasn't terribly bad, just average. Also apparently the more important you are, the worse your decision making becomes, with Corax trying really hard to outdo the Emperor when it comes to bad judgements.

So far I feel Descent of Angels, Battle for the Abyss and The outcast dead were the worst in the series.

kanonvandekempen fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jul 6, 2014

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children

UberJumper posted:

Also according to ADB, Abnett is super busy with writing for video games and marvel. But he has apparently started work on the next GG book.

So who are these guys? Sevatar, Lucius, Garro, Kharn, Cypher, Ahriman and Argel Tal (posessed)?

I've just finished Thousand Suns (backtracking some of the books I've missed so far) and it was seriously entertaining, one of the best so far. But my Choler Rises to the Fore so loving much with Mcneil's loving stupid 2nd millenium references. I think Ahriman literally quotes the American Revolution twice amongst countless other immersion breaking references. Honestly every HH author can gently caress off even mentioning 'Gyptus' or Londonium' and so on. It goes full on super retard when the Perpetuals can't stop talking about being at Verdun or the Iraq war in a t-62. There's 28 thousand other years of history between now and the 31st millenium to use. Part of the greatness of 40k is how distant humanities lost past seems, authors like Abnett and Mcneil seem to forget that.

maev fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 6, 2014

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Safety Factor posted:

That sounds like it'll be a decent book though I'm kind of curious what the other stories will be about. I'm not surprised that Thorpe's writing a Cypher story given what's going on in his 40k series. And if it means anything, Master of Sanctity wasn't bad at all. It thought it was a lot better than Ravenwing so maybe Thorpe is improving. :unsmith:

Yeessss :getin:

Thorpe isn't that bad of a writer but he isn't very imaginative. The first Legion has been around longer than any other legion, they have done stuff that no other legion has ever done. I would have liked for them to be a little bit more than "we are super mysterious because of the fallen!".

Its depressing that Abnett has given the best characterization for the Lion and the first legion when they weren't even the main focus of that book.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

How is Damocles? I want to read something about Tau. Never read any of the books yet.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

maev posted:

So who are these guys? Sevatar, Lucius, Garro, Kharn, Cypher, Ahriman and Argel Tal (posessed)?

I've just finished Thousand Suns (backtracking some of the books I've missed so far) and it was seriously entertaining, one of the best so far. But my Choler Rises to the Fore so loving much with Mcneil's loving stupid 2nd millenium references. I think Ahriman literally quotes the American Revolution twice amongst countless other immersion breaking references. Honestly every HH author can gently caress off even mentioning 'Gyptus' or Londonium' and so on. It goes full on super retard when the Perpetuals can't stop talking about being at Verdun or the Iraq war in a t-62. There's 28 thousand other years of history between now and the 31st millenium to use. Part of the greatness of 40k is how distant humanities lost past seems, authors like Abnett and Mcneil seem to forget that.

Maybe that's Honsu in the back with the Iron Warriors stuff? Not sure who the guy in the front left is.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

vigorous sodomy posted:

Maybe that's Honsu in the back with the Iron Warriors stuff? Not sure who the guy in the front left is.

I think they are just generic traitors.

Found an interesting ADB quote people might like

quote:

The 13th Black Crusade was launched in order to allow Chaos into the Imperium, no longer almost completely blocked by Cadia. It was about breaking the dam, not to just say "LOL LET'S GO TO TERRA!", but to change the very dynamics of Chaos and the Imperium. The Chaos Marine can now sail fleets into Imperial space much, much, much easier than ever before. The dam is broken. The Crusade's goals were achieved. As far as I know, that's the current deal. The subject is confused by poor phrasing and general online assumptions clouding the issue.

But a crusade is a crusade. That sounds obvious, but a lot of people miss the relevance of the word, and the intent of the warrior declaring it. Anyone thinking a single Black Crusade was to take Terra, or see the Golden Throne fall, is probably missing the point. After all, historically, crusades weren't declared to conquer the whole world, or to wipe out all of Islam. They were, variously, declared to recover territory; to take Constantinople; to capture and/or sack a certain city; with heavy side orders of political, social and financial gain. A crusade is a campaign targeted at achieving a certain goal - one that, say, requires a massive army.

To take the "Abaddon is the thematic Antichrist" trope one step further, the forces of Hell never "just appear and take over the world". Even with the Rapture, there's supposed to be years of war on Earth between angels and demons. To the Imperium, that's just happened. The Astronomican blinks on and off now, losing thousands of vessels in the warp, and the Golden Throne is failing. We have events called things like "The Night of a Thousand Rebellions". And Cadia, the unbreakable fortress world that guarded the Eye, was cracked open and the dam is broken: Because of Abaddon's last crusade, Chaos fleets enter the Imperium practically unopposed now, compared to how it's been the last 10,000 years.

The reason there's no 14th Black Crusade is because there no longer needs to be. The gates are open. The Gates of Hell, literally, are broken open. Chaos Marines are basically free, like never before, to do as they please. And to assume "They all totally want to kill the Emperor" is a wild, wild miscalculation. There's nothing to say most of them these days, after years / centuries / millennia in Hell, give a toss about the Emperor. Most published lore we have cites Chaos Marines concerned with their own amassing of power, wealth and renown, rather than in idealistic campaigns to destroy the Imperium. How many warbands want nothing more than a weak enemy to prey upon? Countless, countless numbers of them. Especially in Legions like the Night Lords. The Gates of Hell being open is pretty much exactly what they wanted. Their goals are achieved.

That's not to say they don't want the Emperor / Imperium to fall. It's just that that's a background theme to most of their lives, given their other interests, desires, allegiances and obsessions. It's a great overall objective, but doesn't apply to daily existence. That can be hard to grasp if all you ever see Chaos Marines as are essentially models based on stereotypes of Legions, but as a living, breathing soldier spending eternity in Hell, things would get a little different.

One of the core themes of 40K has always seemed to be "Every single one of these enemy races could (or probably will) wipe out the Imperium if they sped up and/or got their crap together". And as befits the end of the Dark Millennium, Chaos is one of them. The One, in fact. The greatest threat, but also because they're the enemy within, as well as the threat from without.

So, no. Abaddon isn't a failure. He's only a failure in, well, the "frequently espoused by younger player" terms of believing he wants to take Terra, and all anyone like him could be interested in was "Just killing the Emperor". Bit of a shallow overlook, that.

Really want Talon of Horus now

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
That's a pretty decent attempt at a defence, but I think he probably knows he's arguing from a standpoint of trying to justify something that's just endemic to the setting - Ezekyle Abaddon has had ten thousand years to get his poo poo together, so unless the death of Horus figuratively made the Legions immediately entirely fall apart (even by Star Wars 'The Emperor dies and everyone just forgets about all the Star Destroyers' level of storytelling) it just doesn't add up, and it's difficult to reconcile now they're having to actually write it.

He's had quite literally thousands of lifetimes to get this going - By this point, if you were writing him as a 'character' rather than a trope, he'd be a lot more wily, a lot more subtle and a lot less prone to 'villainry'.

This is why I like his Night Lords so much - They're actually far more believable as modern era Chaos Marines than most portrayals, because they at least make some sense. The only way Abaddon makes sense over the timescale he's been given is that either he's been successful in the aims he's set (and has, for whatever reason, made them quite limited, given that timescale) or he's been a monumental failure as a Warmaster, and the only reason he hasn't been desposed is because external rivals to the Black Legion are put off by the supremacy of the Black Legion, and internal rivals haven't because... reasons?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

maev posted:

They write about events in our "current" history because the reader can easily identify with them. You're less prone to identify with a character who talks about the time he spent fighting the Arglebargles of Flab Quarv 6 because you have no frame of reference for that. You know what Desert Storm, or Verdun, or the American Revolution was - that was real history. You're getting too angry over a few lines in a book about a war between fusion-powered knights with missile-guns.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children

berzerkmonkey posted:

They write about events in our "current" history because the reader can easily identify with them. You're less prone to identify with a character who talks about the time he spent fighting the Arglebargles of Flab Quarv 6 because you have no frame of reference for that. You know what Desert Storm, or Verdun, or the American Revolution was - that was real history. You're getting too angry over a few lines in a book about a war between fusion-powered knights with missile-guns.

I fundamentally disagree with this for a ton of reasons, but as someone with an actual history degree who has spent way too much time reading historical texts it makes me personally cringe. It's probably a pet peeve of mine which isn't shared by others to the same extent, but I generally read warhammer books as escapism and I'd much rather hear about That One Time in the golden age of technology than have Ahriman literally rallying his warriors in Tizca with quotes from George Washington.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I get you now - you've got a special viewpoint. I work in the computer industry, so I see that stuff all the time. As an added bonus, I was also in the Marines, so I can go apeshit whenever I see someone in a uniform with the wrong insignia, badges, etc. But yeah, I think you're being a tad too critical - seeing someone mention something about history in an otherwise completely fictional book shouldn't completely set you off into a rage. I could see that in an alternative history story, or where a writer just flat out got history wrong, but a few throwaway lines?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fried Chicken posted:

That World Eater is clearly Kharn, what with having a bare right arm covered in chains waving Gorechild around and all. Cypher literally just being the Cypher miniature with a slight repose is pretty much certain too. The scarred Emperor's Children marine is most likely Lucius, but heck, could be anyone I guess. The rest are up for debate, since they seem rather generic.

maev posted:

I fundamentally disagree with this for a ton of reasons, but as someone with an actual history degree who has spent way too much time reading historical texts it makes me personally cringe. It's probably a pet peeve of mine which isn't shared by others to the same extent, but I generally read warhammer books as escapism and I'd much rather hear about That One Time in the golden age of technology than have Ahriman literally rallying his warriors in Tizca with quotes from George Washington.
I guess it REALLY pissed you off when people say someone has "crossed the Rubicon" eh?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
And yet you don't hear me bitching about it (former history major) or basically anything in double eagle (current pilot). Really, just relax.

(That being said they coulda handled it like star trek. Two familiar one fictional)

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Fried Chicken posted:

Found an interesting ADB quote people might like

Really want Talon of Horus now

Yessss :fap:

One thing though, i thought the thirteenth black crusade, while the traitors won a ground battle on Cadia. The imperium more or less won the naval battle according to the massive campaign GW had?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

UberJumper posted:

One thing though, i thought the thirteenth black crusade, while the traitors won a ground battle on Cadia. The imperium more or less won the naval battle according to the massive campaign GW had?

In the last days of GW's timeline advancing events Chaos playing teams had wrecked Cadia but the Battlefield Gothic games gave the Imperium the win. Then someone at GW either saw or heard about the problems White Wolf had with their flagship franchise and them deciding to relaunch the brand with new everything and realized GW had written/plotted itself into a corner, and the easiest thing to do was just stagnate and rewrite old lore.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Shockeh posted:

That's a pretty decent attempt at a defence, but I think he probably knows he's arguing from a standpoint of trying to justify something that's just endemic to the setting - Ezekyle Abaddon has had ten thousand years to get his poo poo together, so unless the death of Horus figuratively made the Legions immediately entirely fall apart (even by Star Wars 'The Emperor dies and everyone just forgets about all the Star Destroyers' level of storytelling) it just doesn't add up, and it's difficult to reconcile now they're having to actually write it.
That's actually been a plot point since Index Astartes I in 2002. Horus tries his gambit because about 3 full legions of fresh well supplied marines howling for blood is about to arrive and catch his exhausted, undefended, and spent legions trapped outside the Imperial Palace. His gambit fails, Guilliman, Johnson, and Russ show up and scour Terra of the traitors. They get joined by Dorn and Khan and they spend the next 7 years never letting the traitors rest as they burn everything they touch to the ground, slaughter every traitor they encounter, until they are bottled up in the Eye of Terror. Once in there it starts with the rest of the legions butchering the Sons, but then Fabius Bile turns it into a free for all with the Slave Wars. It ends with everyone else so reduced that Bile and his cohort are the strongest faction and steal Horus' corpse, prompting Abaddon to form the Black Legion.

quote:

He's had quite literally thousands of lifetimes to get this going - By this point, if you were writing him as a 'character' rather than a trope, he'd be a lot more wily, a lot more subtle and a lot less prone to 'villainry'.
Which is at least how ADB is handling him based off his appearance in Soul Hunter and Chosen of Chaos. I agree that Abaddo n has been a generic villain trope rather than a character for most of the IP. Hell you see that with stuff still being written - Kharn screaming about the Eightfold Path at Istvaan gives the impression that "falling to chaos" is flipping a switch and not a prolonged character change. But they do seem to be breaking from that and go with better handling.

quote:

This is why I like his Night Lords so much - They're actually far more believable as modern era Chaos Marines than most portrayals, because they at least make some sense. The only way Abaddon makes sense over the timescale he's been given is that either he's been successful in the aims he's set (and has, for whatever reason, made them quite limited, given that timescale) or he's been a monumental failure as a Warmaster, and the only reason he hasn't been desposed is because external rivals to the Black Legion are put off by the supremacy of the Black Legion, and internal rivals haven't because... reasons?
It looks to me like they are going with the former. There is another ADB quote I'm trying t dig out now where he drops a oneliner of "everyone says the crusades failed, no one asks what the crusades were for...". Apparently Abaddon and Chaos are playing a different game from everyone else. Which, given the timescale, their knowledge of the Imperium, and their knowledge of the truth of reality, makes a bit more sense.

And I'd point out that with the warp the timescale Abaddon may have had far less than 10,000 years. Or far more

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

UberJumper posted:

Chaos has the ground, the Imperium has the space, the final battle is about to be joined and the outcome will either mean that the Gates of Hell remain open and the Imperium is certain to fall, or Chaos will be devestated and wipe out what took 10,000 years to build and be bottled up again for all eternity. Now as to who won that final battle, you now how right before the big reveal, shows go to commercial? Well GW has been pitching it's commercial for plastic space army mans for 11 years now, but we will get back to the plot any second...

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
They're slowly trying to show that the Black Crusades are far from failed. See this map from the Black Legion supplement:

It shows that the 13th is The Big One, and it's stymied at Cadia. All the other Crusades had targets other than Terra.

Fried Chicken posted:

Chaos has the ground, the Imperium has the space, the final battle is about to be joined and the outcome will either mean that the Gates of Hell remain open and the Imperium is certain to fall, or Chaos will be devestated and wipe out what took 10,000 years to build and be bottled up again for all eternity. Now as to who won that final battle, you now how right before the big reveal, shows go to commercial? Well GW has been pitching it's commercial for plastic space army mans for 11 years now, but we will get back to the plot any second...

40k is a setting, not really a plotline that needs to be advanced. The Imperium is at the edge of oblivion from every angle. It's the end times. You can't really go beyond.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
There's more chance of In the Weirdo Darkness of the far future, there is only planet sized robotic nightmares: Warhammer 29k than them ever going into 42k.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It's really weird to me that the 10th Black Crusade targeted Medusa and the Iron Hands. They don't seem like the juiciest target.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Apparently it was get the favor of Perturabo and learn a secret route.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

So it seems to earn the favor of Perturabo you kill tons of Iron Hands and lay as much waste to their planet. I would have thought the Imperial fists would have pleased him more but I guess Peturabo also had his reasons

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

boredsatellite posted:

So it seems to earn the favor of Perturabo you kill tons of Iron Hands and lay as much waste to their planet. I would have thought the Imperial fists would have pleased him more but I guess Peturabo also had his reasons

There's only enough room for one Iron legion in this galaxy. Apparently Abbadon's knowledge of the Iron Hands came in handy during the 13th Black Crusade when he deployed a bunch of tanks on Medusa so the IH would have to commit all their forces to one planet.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
So... he was aware that they would defend their homeworld eh? Not exactly rocket surgery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Arquinsiel posted:

So... he was aware that they would defend their homeworld eh? Not exactly rocket surgery.

And Chaos lost anyway :shrug: