Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Cornwind Evil posted:

I think Durkula just made the first of the mistakes that will end up his undoing. This was the first real time that he gave off a 'a demon wearing Durkon's skin' vibe instead of 'Durkon now undead' vibe. I suspect its not ordering Belkar to jump that will cause him later problems, but the idea that he can that will make him keep making little slip ups until it all falls apart.

One of the strip's earliest running jokes was V setting up Exploding Runes to mess with Belkar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Angela Christine posted:

If he hadn't snagged on the boat, would Belkar have died? As a high level ranger/barbarian at full health, he can fall quite a long way, can't he?

It probably wouldn't kill him, but it would get him off the airship and out of the way for a good long while.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

MikeJF posted:

Well, in terms of the WIS stat, V's is mediocre and Elan is through the floor.

Haley might have a decent Will save, has it ever been shown?

Élan's CHA score is through the roof,
not his WIS. He probably has an above average Wisdom at best.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Who What Now posted:

What could possibly give you guys the idea that Elan's wisdom is anything better than abysmal

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Who What Now posted:

I said his WIS was through the floor, not roof.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

There's a feat that lets you swap out your charisma for your wisdom for certain kinds of will saves, not terribly unlikely that he would have taken it (or it might be a Dashing Swordsman bonus feat, or whatever).

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Ya know what Durkula's problem is? His search was too narrow. If he hadn't added "that only the two of you would know" the Parcheesi game memory might actually have worked for his purposes.

Also, looks like Belkar grabbed Favored Enemy: Undead. Good choice, little guy.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I hope that Gnomengrad they're going to has some mind blank items at low, low prices.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Protection from Evil would do the trick almost as well, and that's a first level spell. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if nobody thinks to grab any wands or anything, though; the best strategic thinker on the team is still trying to convince himself it's a problem that can be put off indefinitely.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Heatwizard posted:

Protection from Evil would do the trick almost as well, and that's a first level spell. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if nobody thinks to grab any wands or anything, though; the best strategic thinker on the team is still trying to convince himself it's a problem that can be put off indefinitely.

I think casting it on Belkar might be a no-no on par with putting a bag of holding inside a portable hole. :D

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Heatwizard posted:

Most healing spells are touch range though, so they'd have to be careful to use it only when needed or lose access to their main healer just in case he decides to do something.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

seaborgium posted:

Most healing spells are touch range though, so they'd have to be careful to use it only when needed or lose access to their main healer just in case he decides to do something.

He has to use the staff to heal them anyways, like Malakk used to, or he level drains, and PoE doesn't protect from heals unless you want to force a roll. It WILL protect from his dominate ability. Also, as far as I can tell, there's no harm in putting it on Belkar, unless he tries to punch himself.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
How viable would it be for Vaarsuvius to cast some kind of Perpetual PfE to keep the IFCC from getting their claws on him again? I have no idea how effective it is in 3.5 but in 2e it prevented even really powerful demons from harming you.

It was fun to dick around with in Baldur's Gate.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

razorrozar posted:

How viable would it be for Vaarsuvius to cast some kind of Perpetual PfE to keep the IFCC from getting their claws on him again? I have no idea how effective it is in 3.5 but in 2e it prevented even really powerful demons from harming you.

It was fun to dick around with in Baldur's Gate.

I don't think he knows the spell.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think he knows the spell.

Wizards can use any normal arcane spell, they just have to prepare it beforehand.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

mr. stefan posted:

Wizards can use any normal arcane spell, they just have to prepare it beforehand.

You're thinking of Clerics and divine spells. Wizards have to have a spell in their spellbook to prepare it.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Protection from Evil doesn't protect against forced teleportation, right? If the fiends' plan for V only involves yanking the wizard from the team for a few moments like the first time, it wouldn't even matter.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
We need to cast Protection from Rich Being Unwell

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Colonial Air Force posted:

We need to cast Protection from Rich Being Unwell
I'd rather cast Protection from Alignment Discussions.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think the contract nature of the agreement would likely prevent it from working on V even if it would in other circumstances.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think the contract nature of the agreement would likely prevent it from working on V even if it would in other circumstances.

Good point. You probably can't use magic to escape a magically binding contract. Maybe something on the level of a Wish, but I don't expect to see that.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

razorrozar posted:

Good point. You probably can't use magic to escape a magically binding contract. Maybe something on the level of a Wish, but I don't expect to see that.

No, deals made with fiends (in 3.5) are covered under one of the underlying laws of creation(the pact primeval).

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Clearly, then, you use two Greater Wishes: One to do away with that particular part of the underpinnings of creation, and another to then annul that contract. :pseudo:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Regalingualius posted:

Clearly, then, you use two Greater Wishes: One to do away with that particular part of the underpinnings of creation, and another to then annul that contract. :pseudo:

And then you make a personal enemy of the most forward thinking powers of all three hells. Yay!

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Eifert Posting posted:

And then you make a personal enemy of the most forward thinking powers of all three hells. Yay!

What if you wish it never happened in the first place?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Eifert Posting posted:

So what you're saying is we'll need a total of three wishes to solve this problem.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Just two. First you wish all wishes were calculated in absolute value, then you wish for 100,000 fewer wishes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What happens if you wish that true is false and one equals zero?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MikeJF posted:

Then your wish becomes true and you have one wish left.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

MikeJF posted:

You get a big book of discrete mathematics, a sticky note with a field-related joke, and a dirty look.

Cat Mattress posted:

:drat:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Cat Mattress posted:

I love that the Wish spells were designed with the express intent that the genie/game runner would attempt to give you precisely what you asked for and exactly what you didn't want.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shugojin posted:

I love that the Wish spells were designed with the express intent that the genie/game runner would attempt to give you precisely what you asked for and exactly what you didn't want.

BG2 sets it up so that when you cast a Wish, you have to negotiate with the genie, and if you have low Wisdom it's harder to get a deal in your favor. I think the first time I tried it the most beneficial option was knocking everyone in the area away from me and stunning them. I didn't make that mistake again.

Also, casting Limited Wish and wishing to get stronger summons three super-powerful golems. Hey, if you beat them, you get a lot stronger!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I seem to recall that the Baldur's Gate games had a lot of fun with Wish and Limited Wish. Your ability to get a useful effect from Wish required your hero to have a high WIS as well as INT stat and Limited Wish had a few repeateable wishes and a few non-repeatable wishes. One of the ones was "I wish to be protected from undead right now!" which somehow got interpreted as a whole bunch of vampires appearing to attack you.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Well, if six vampires are suddenly bearing down on you, you're gonna need some protection from the undead now aren't you? :v:

The "correct" version of the wish is "I wish to be protected from the undead" and gives you negative plane protection.

My favorite is "I wish for my spells to be restored" de-memorizing all of your spells for the day. Once you rest, they're restored! :v:

Jerk genies are fun.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I remember the cursed wishing gem from tomb of Horrors. It's entire thing was telling you that it grants Wishes but it does not tell you that it corrupts the wish in a way that will somehow kill you.

Like say you wished that you were teleported to the Dungeons Treasure chamber it would kill you and teleport your corpse to the chamber. I remember a wish in a comic from the cursed gem. Were a fighter wished he was the King of a country that was mentioned earlier and had a ton of gold. The Cursed Wishing gem created a plague in that country that wiped out the entire Royal Family and anyone else in line for that throne until the Fighter was next in line. Then in order to grant his gold wish it created the gold inside him killing him.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MonsterEnvy posted:

I remember the cursed wishing gem from tomb of Horrors. It's entire thing was telling you that it grants Wishes but it does not tell you that it corrupts the wish in a way that will somehow kill you.

Like say you wished that you were teleported to the Dungeons Treasure chamber it would kill you and teleport your corpse to the chamber. I remember a wish in a comic from the cursed gem. Were a fighter wished he was the King of a country that was mentioned earlier and had a ton of gold. The Cursed Wishing gem created a plague in that country that wiped out the entire Royal Family and anyone else in line for that throne until the Fighter was next in line. Then in order to grant his gold wish it created the gold inside him killing him.

You can't mention it and not post it, that is literally illegal.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wait a minute, the arch of reversal doesn't just flip your alignment, it flips your gender? HAW. Bet it also changes whether you're left or right-handed.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Speedball posted:

Wait a minute, the arch of reversal doesn't just flip your alignment, it flips your gender? HAW. Bet it also changes whether you're left or right-handed.

It converts your body from matter into antimatter. :getin:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Speedball posted:

If you go back through it again it deals a tiny bit of damage to you and turns your alignment back to normal but Gender is still reversed. If you go through it a 3rd time it turns you back to normal and also teleports you nude to the entrance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

If you go back through it again it deals a tiny bit of damage to you and turns your alignment back to normal but Gender is still reversed. If you go through it a 3rd time it turns you back to normal and also teleports you nude to the entrance.

Pfft. In a module filled to overflowing with things that kill or massively damage you, they throw in one room designed by Rumiko Takahashi.