Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Rumda posted:

I don't think so Dalinar said he already knew both the curse and boon...

He thinks Renarin's blood weakness and epileptic fits are the curse, doesn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Xachariah posted:

He thinks Renarin's blood weakness and epileptic fits are the curse, doesn't he?

Oh God that fits way too well, except we know it can't be true since you have to seek to nightwatcher for her to have power over you, but I can easily buy Dalinar thinking that. His wife dies maybe in childbirth he goes west in his grief seeks the nightwatcher and as Renarin grows his fits start and Dalinar's over grown sense of guilt kicks in...

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
In case the idea of having fun figuring things out is anathema to you, Sanderson has publicly responded to a question on the topic by saying (paraphrased), "Huh, I never thought of that. His curse is not remembering his wife."

I can't remember the exact source.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Is book 3 or book 4 the Dalinar based book? I'm betting we find out more detail on the old magic in that book, right before it screws over him or someone close to him.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Democratic Pirate posted:

Is book 3 or book 4 the Dalinar based book? I'm betting we find out more detail on the old magic in that book, right before it screws over him or someone close to him.

Book 3 is supposed to be Szeth, I though Book 4 was supposed to be Eshonai.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
He was deciding between Dalinar and Shallan for book 2, I wouldn't be surprised if Dalinar finishes off part 1 in book 5.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I just read Alloy or Law in a day. I was kind of grumbly going into it because I usually hate western stuff? But that book was really good and I'm sorta glad he's writing a trilogy out of it.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
I just got into Sanderson a couple months ago and read Elantris, Mistborn trilogy, Alloy of Law, Emperor's Soul, and Warbreaker so far, and I have to say Alloy of Law was by far my favorite. To be fair, I doubt that would have been the case had I not read the original Mistborn books.

Alloy of Law is awesome. I wish it had a bit more of a conclusion, but I'll forgive that since it seems like the 2nd book is only a year or less away.

I'm still looking forward to tackling Way of Kings and Words of Radiance, however I've taken a little break to read some Discworld to cleanse my pallet a bit because I didn't want to OD on Sanderson and spoil my enjoyment of what is supposed to be his best work. I've had the first few Discworld books on my shelf for like, 12 years and I've finally dived in and read Colour of Magic and I'm midway through The Light Fantastic and I'm kicking myself for having taken this long to read this series. It's been a long time since I've laughed out loud at a book. It's doing a great job to get my mind out of Sanderson land for a while.

Damo fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 13, 2014

cams
Mar 28, 2003

How similar is the "Wheel of Time" series to Sandersons' storytelling style? I know he only did the last 2 of like 50 books, but I'm considering picking it up since I've been on a Sanderson kick and I've almost read everything he's published.

EDIT: Mostly I'm curious about how Wheel of Time deals with characters, is it constant throughout or is each book new poo poo? I enjoy characters.

Also, finished Elantris last night. It's pretty funny going through it after I already read the Stormlight books and all the Mistborn stuff. From the first chapter you spend the rest of the book just WAITING for someone to go anime. It is really the prototype to Kaladin's of "dump piles and piles of poo poo and sorrow on this dude to build up to the good stuff."

Other than that, fun read. You can definitely tell it's one of his earlier works just on polish and style though. I have to say I am extremely interested in the entire "cosmere" thing and find it impressive how well he does it.

cams fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 13, 2014

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Damo posted:

I've had the first few Discworld books on my shelf for like, 12 years and I've finally dived in and read Colour of Magic and I'm midway through The Light Fantastic and I'm kicking myself for having taken this long to read this series. It's been a long time since I've laughed out loud at a book.

Terry Pratchett is a good dude and it's sad as hell that he won't be with us for much longer.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

cams posted:

How similar is the "Wheel of Time" series to Sandersons' storytelling style? I know he only did the last 2 of like 50 books, but I'm considering picking it up since I've been on a Sanderson kick and I've almost read everything he's published.

EDIT: Mostly I'm curious about how Wheel of Time deals with characters, is it constant throughout or is each book new poo poo? I enjoy characters.

Also, finished Elantris last night. It's pretty funny going through it after I already read the Stormlight books and all the Mistborn stuff. From the first chapter you spend the rest of the book just WAITING for someone to go anime. It is really the prototype to Kaladin's of "dump piles and piles of poo poo and sorrow on this dude to build up to the good stuff."

Other than that, fun read. You can definitely tell it's one of his earlier works just on polish and style though. I have to say I am extremely interested in the entire "cosmere" thing and find it impressive how well he does it.

Wheel of Time follows the same main and "main side" characters, though the "side side" cast is always expanding. The characters undergo growth through massive intertwining story arcs and frequently come out majorly changed in personality and depiction, though the progression is nearly always in-world logical and well-established.

Brandon Sanderson wrote the last 3 of 15 books--by text volume he wrote almost a full quarter of the Wheel of Time series, something like 1.1 million out of 4.4 million words total. Overall he did a fine job in picking up and carrying forth with the themes and ideas Robert Jordan was playing with, and the characters for the most part remain well-represented through Brandon's interpretation.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Wheel of Time is a lot more about character archetypes and softer magic than Sanderson usually writes. Rand is the messiah, Perrin is the peaceful warrior, Matt is the trickster, the Forsaken are mini-bosses. Each character has things that make them unique, but it's 100% a hero's journey / Christ allegory / Fisher King story. That's not to say it's bad. It gets a little lost around books 8-10, and Jordan admitted he messed up with 9 and 10 since he was trying to do a heavier overlap in time than the other books had done, but overall it's a very solid series. I personally think it's as important to the fantasy genre as Tolkien and GRRM, but where Tolkien jerks off to language and GRRM just jerks off, Jordan spends a lot of extra time world building. You will have a very solid idea of how that part of the world works by the end of the series, which is a good thing, but MAN does it drag in spots. Sanderson got it at the climax, so all the action scenes in the last 3 books are pretty kick rear end. If you do read it, in the final book if you decide "just one more chapter" do NOT make that chapter "The Last Battle". It's 200 pages long.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Kruller posted:

if you decide "just one more chapter" do NOT make that chapter "The Last Battle". It's 200 pages long.

...which I really enjoyed. I thought it was hilarious that the never-ending final battle should be just as physically/emotionally draining to the readers as it's supposed to be for the characters

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Clockwork Gadget posted:

Terry Pratchett is a good dude and it's sad as hell that he won't be with us for much longer.

Yeah it's very sad for anyone to be diagnosed with Alzheimer's, it's one of the most terrible afflictions. However to happen to a writer with a mind like who has created a world like he has, is doubly awful and makes you lose faith in the universe.

Also, being diagnosed with it before he was even 60 years old is absolutely the most hosed up part. Too goddamn young.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Damo posted:

Yeah it's very sad for anyone to be diagnosed with Alzheimer's, it's one of the most terrible afflictions. However to happen to a writer with a mind like who has created a world like he has, is doubly awful and makes you lose faith in the universe.

Also, being diagnosed with it before he was even 60 years old is absolutely the most hosed up part. Too goddamn young.

He keeps spitting out books, though! The 'about the author' on the back page of one of his latest ones says something like "Terry Pratchet spends a lot of time talking to his computer these days. Sometimes it talks back."

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
Yeah it's good to hear that it's only affected his physical/motor skills mostly, and apparently he has trouble reading as well, which I suppose is part of that. Since his cognitive function seems Ok, he's apparently able to dictate his writing to an assistant or computer software and just skip the typing part, luckily.

He's lasted a lot longer than anyone probably thought so here's to hoping he has a decent number of years yet.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Damo posted:

Yeah it's good to hear that it's only affected his physical/motor skills mostly, and apparently he has trouble reading as well, which I suppose is part of that. Since his cognitive function seems Ok, he's apparently able to dictate his writing to an assistant or computer software and just skip the typing part, luckily.

He's lasted a lot longer than anyone probably thought so here's to hoping he has a decent number of years yet.

I saw a recent interview with him and it's definitely worse than it sounds -- he's having a lot of aphasia. There were excruciatingly long pauses where he was trying to come up with the word he wanted to use.

Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TahN-09_WDo

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Grundulum posted:

...which I really enjoyed. I thought it was hilarious that the never-ending final battle should be just as physically/emotionally draining to the readers as it's supposed to be for the characters

Forget the "Last Battle" chapter. I felt the entire thousand page long book was a Sanderlanche. Massive payoff for an epic 15 book series. I only wish there was more time devoted to the epilogue after the climax. It was buildup Buildup BuildUp BUILDUP BUILDUP BUILDUP!!! FINAL RESOLUTION!!!! End. After a thousand pages of pure adrenaline, approximately a dozen pages of relief just wasn't enough for me.

But yeah, very exhausting, and the series EARNED it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Anyone read Sixth of The Dusk yet? It just came out in the new Writing Excuses anthology.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Yeah, nothing special. It wasn't bad by any stretch but it just didn't catch me like a lot of his other stuff, but it's still an okay read. The only interesting note was the Cosmere ties, which comes in the form of space travelers we learn pretty much nothing about The fact that they exist is pretty much the point of interest.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I just realized how many overpowered point of view characters Sanderson's ultimate cosmere endgame book is going to have.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

Democratic Pirate posted:

I just realized how many overpowered point of view characters Sanderson's ultimate cosmere endgame book is going to have.

Well if everyone is overpowered then no one is overpowered at least.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Strumpy posted:

Well if everyone is overpowered then no one is overpowered at least.

Ah, the Marvel vs. Capcom philosophy

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Dalinar's inability to remember his wife or even hear her name is definitely going to turn out to be plot-important later in some spectacular way. She's Chekhov's Lost Love.

I still have money loaded up on Renarin developing into a major hero of the second half of the series after the love triangle is solved by Adolin's demise.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I finally finished Words of Radiance after a couple days of doing nothing but reading it. Good book. It absorbed me as much as the previous Stormlight book did a few years ago, even though I'd wondered with being older and with all the Game of Thrones seriousness since then whether I'd find Sanderson's fantasy too sanitized. Thankfully that wasn't the case, though sometimes the characters do seem too noble and the story filled with too many made up fantasy words.

It was only in this book that I realized all of Sanderson's works are related through this "Cosmere" thing, and that Wit has also appeared in Mistborn under another name. That means the villain of Stormlight could end up very similar to how Ruin was in Mistborn, which I didn't like. Evil forces that are evil because that's their nature but are also sentient are uninteresting. I prefer either the mindless conquering force (white walkers) or people with ambition who believe they're doing the right thing the whole time. So King Taravangian of Kharbranth is a much more interesting villain than this "Odium" they're facing. I hope he continues to have an interesting part to play over the next few books.

I liked how Adolin killed Sadeas at the end of this book. I wasn't looking forward to another book of Sadeas and his plots and Adolin killing him sets the stage for a new dynamic that's different from what we got here.

Also they talk about how the Everstorm is going to go around the world. But I thought the storms always got broken up when going around Shinovar. So I guess Shinovar is gonna get hosed up by the Everstorm then? Kinda sucks.

Anyway looking forward to reading the next book in a couple years. Good thing Sanderson is a faster writer than Martin.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Ccs posted:

I finally finished Words of Radiance after a couple days of doing nothing but reading it. Good book. It absorbed me as much as the previous Stormlight book did a few years ago, even though I'd wondered with being older and with all the Game of Thrones seriousness since then whether I'd find Sanderson's fantasy too sanitized. Thankfully that wasn't the case, though sometimes the characters do seem too noble and the story filled with too many made up fantasy words.

It was only in this book that I realized all of Sanderson's works are related through this "Cosmere" thing, and that Wit has also appeared in Mistborn under another name. That means the villain of Stormlight could end up very similar to how Ruin was in Mistborn, which I didn't like. Evil forces that are evil because that's their nature but are also sentient are uninteresting. I prefer either the mindless conquering force (white walkers) or people with ambition who believe they're doing the right thing the whole time. So King Taravangian of Kharbranth is a much more interesting villain than this "Odium" they're facing. I hope he continues to have an interesting part to play over the next few books.

I liked how Adolin killed Sadeas at the end of this book. I wasn't looking forward to another book of Sadeas and his plots and Adolin killing him sets the stage for a new dynamic that's different from what we got here.

Also they talk about how the Everstorm is going to go around the world. But I thought the storms always got broken up when going around Shinovar. So I guess Shinovar is gonna get hosed up by the Everstorm then? Kinda sucks.

Anyway looking forward to reading the next book in a couple years. Good thing Sanderson is a faster writer than Martin.

shinovar and every single city or town protected by hills and rocks face just the right way

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
And when the regular highstorms collide with the Everstorm, all bets are off

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Ccs posted:

I think the highstorms are broken up by the time they reach shinovar because they've already passed over a lot of rugged terrain and expended their energy (it might have something to do with the amount of stormlight a storm has and it using it all up passing over places where people have gemstones.)

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Lobsterpillar posted:

I think the highstorms are broken up by the time they reach shinovar because they've already passed over a lot of rugged terrain and expended their energy (it might have something to do with the amount of stormlight a storm has and it using it all up passing over places where people have gemstones.)

That and a big mountain range to the north and east.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

i think there's more to Shinovar than simple natural formations, I'd bet Cultivation has a hand in protecting them as well.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

treeboy posted:

i think there's more to Shinovar than simple natural formations, I'd bet Cultivation has a hand in protecting them as well.

And those natural formations are not her hands?

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Rumda posted:

And those natural formations are not her hands?

definitely could be part of it, I just think she's taking a more active role in preventing damage from occurring there. I don't know if that literally means "invisible force field" but something along those lines.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
I see Cultivation being to sort bend the natural order to protect rather than imposing her Will monolithically on it. It would be more in line with her Shards focus plus more efficient.

Though given the symmetry of the dawn cities they may be more protected than the modern works of Rosharans. It us also conceivable that Cultivation could have well... Cultivated protection for the Shin from the west.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

But the question is will it protect them from the Everstorm? Or is Shinovar about to get wrecked.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Pretty sure everyone is about to.get wrecked

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Yeah pretty sure that by the time Szeth and Nalan get there it will be a literal wasteland.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
Brandon Sanderson Reads First Chapter From Stormlight Archive Book 3!

Being the first chapter, a lot of this is recap, but there's a few interesting tidbits.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Jorenko posted:

Brandon Sanderson Reads First Chapter From Stormlight Archive Book 3!

Being the first chapter, a lot of this is recap, but there's a few interesting tidbits.
As much as I like Brandons performances, I find audiobooks etc. hard to follow so.. Is this available somewhere in text form?

I love everything by Sanderson except Alcatraz and those videogame short stories but for some reason Sixth of Dusk hasn't gotten me pumped at all. I guess I'll read it anyway and hope for pleasant surprise. At least it's short and not based on games I know nothing about.. :shrug:

mallamp fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 9, 2014

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

mallamp posted:

As much as I like Brandons performances, I find audiobooks etc. hard to follow so.. Is this available somewhere in text form?

I love everything by Sanderson except Alcatraz and those videogame short stories but for some reason Sixth of Dusk hasn't gotten me pumped at all. I guess I'll read it anyway and hope for pleasant surprise. At least it's short and not based on games I know nothing about.. :shrug:

There is a link to a transcript in that article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
After reading all other Sanderson cosmere books in order of publication, I've finally started Way of Kings. Only about 70 pages in but I already have to say wow has his prose improved dramatically this book. I mean, he almost reads like a different author. It's fantastic. I don't even think a single eyebrow has been raised yet!

As far as the story goes, it's interesting so far. Hard to follow some stuff a bit what with all the weird names and places and stuff referenced but not explained yet, but it's expected given it's the first hundred pages of an epic fantasy. I'm enjoying it. It really seems like he's got his poo poo together with this story.