Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

never played a cyoa (lol 'played' yeah right) are any of those actually good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
One of my favorite examples of games, in the same vein as fallout, are negotiation games... where the gameplay IS the writing.

These guys did it best: http://www.zapdramatic.com/ and it's also a very rare type of game to find.

Here are some of their examples that they shared on Newgrounds many years ago: http://www.newgrounds.com/collection/thenegotiator

Basically the entire game is about you navigating a conversation to get what you want, knowing only the information given. Trying to convince a boss to give you a raise, trying to settle a dispute between neighbors, trying to prevent a crazy person from blowing up everyone in the bank with his makeshift bomb... stuff like that.

I always wanted to see more stuff like this but never had the chance. It's sad that this kind of thing never caught on as an actual genre of entertainment. The closest I've ever found was Fallout and KOTOR, but the kinds of things I'm talking about are shorter things where it's easier to make each choice count.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I want to brutally murder anyone who mentions Spec Ops: The Line ever again.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Anyway, I don't understand why people try to make points in games, but I think all game writing would be improved if writers understood extremely basic rules about game design, like "The player wants to win", and "The player does not want to lose".

Dec 26, 2012

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Anyway, I don't understand why people try to make points in games, but I think all game writing would be improved if writers understood extremely basic rules about game design, like "The player wants to win", and "The player does not want to lose".

I'm not really joking here, btw. Any genuine emotion a player experiences in a game comes from him winning, or encountering obstacles which are preventing him from doing so.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Reset Button posted:

i enjoy games with good writing but only think it's absolutely essential if the game is primarily text-based
like if 999/vlr had lovely writing there would be absolutely no point to it
I'm not sure how to break this to you, son...

zen death robot posted:

It's poo poo and I'm kinda pissed that I spent $3.99 on it
I won it on Steamgifts. Now I can follow the dev's recommendation to turn it off when I encounter the PC being forced to do things I don't agree with and not experience buyer's remorse.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Love Stole the Day posted:

One of my favorite examples of games, in the same vein as fallout, are negotiation games... where the gameplay IS the writing.

These guys did it best: http://www.zapdramatic.com/ and it's also a very rare type of game to find.

Here are some of their examples that they shared on Newgrounds many years ago: http://www.newgrounds.com/collection/thenegotiator

Basically the entire game is about you navigating a conversation to get what you want, knowing only the information given. Trying to convince a boss to give you a raise, trying to settle a dispute between neighbors, trying to prevent a crazy person from blowing up everyone in the bank with his makeshift bomb... stuff like that.

I always wanted to see more stuff like this but never had the chance. It's sad that this kind of thing never caught on as an actual genre of entertainment. The closest I've ever found was Fallout and KOTOR, but the kinds of things I'm talking about are shorter things where it's easier to make each choice count.

I like the one where you have to retrieve a tape from a woman in a bar who's hiding it in her boobs and you have to dance with her to make the tape fly out. I agree, there need to be more games like that.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Fag Boy Jim posted:

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Gaspar Lewis posted:

The important thing is that we all agree we're pedantic classification-crazed bigots for not arbitrarily moving the goalposts of our judgments until Twine games are good.

The closest a Twine game has come to gameplay is making you pixel hunt for the right word to click to get the good ending. Good to see this new gaming medium is making all the mistakes of the old one.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ekster posted:

never played a cyoa (lol 'played' yeah right) are any of those actually good
better than bioware or david cage. true fact

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Fag Boy Jim posted:

specops taught me that war is bad. If not for spec ops THE LINE I might not know the difference between doom2: hell on earth and IRL wars

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

TWINE is a tool for making adventure games, which are already barely even games anyway

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

TWINE is a tool for making adventure games, which are already barely even games anyway

Hence why these days they call themselves Interactive Fiction. Twine is a tool for making Barely Interactive Fiction

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I think every video game writer needs to take cues from God Hand. God Hand was pretty deep and I think if every game story was like it gaming would be taken more seriously as an art form.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like video game stories. sometimes i laugh at video game stories. also sometimes i cry. i cried like a big dumb baby at the end of kingdom hearts. when you walk away, you don't hear me say, please, oh baby, don't go.

please continue with the next line of simple and clean, because i know everyone in this thread knows the lyrics

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
simple and clean is the way that you're making me feel tonight, it's hard to let it go

edit: didn't actually bother beating the final bosses in kh 1 and 2. whats the point? the game is done already

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
fan rendition of best vg story
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/222458

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

zen death robot posted:

i fixed it and denied the ban request because i think the OP should have to live with his/her/xir crimes

hey cool and now all my posts link back to this thread and the thread is stickied, so i absolutely cannot get away from looking like a human being. this is really cool and i definitely want to keep posting on these weirdly hostile and mean-spirited forums so i've changed my mind, please don't ban me any more

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Roger Tangerines posted:

hey cool and now all my posts link back to this thread and the thread is stickied, so i absolutely cannot get away from looking like a human being. this is really cool and i definitely want to keep posting on these weirdly hostile and mean-spirited forums so i've changed my mind, please don't ban me any more

pwned

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

requesting ban for slur, please

for real though maybe five people total will bother actually clicking on that or even realize it's a link, and you just made a dumb thread about video game writing, it's not like you're a literal rapist or anything. nobody's going to kick you out of the treehouse.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

memy posted:

Since anything that conveys information is writing according to our writing expert op, does that mean that stats and hitpoints are writing?

Unironically yes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lt. Danger posted:

Unironically yes.
My personal favorite is when games have Luck stats because it's literally always slanted towards characterization (happy-go-lucky girl has high luck, depressed guy with tragic backstory has poo poo luck) rather than any sense of gameplay balance.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Anyone who thinks narrative isn't important in games is a loving caveman who is terrified of having to think about anything deeper than "shoot mans = good *pops boner*"

JUST SAYING

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
good writing/narrative is part of good design overall. imagine if pac-man hadn't bothered to use recognizable shapes for the ghosts and powerups and it was purely abstract. sure, we'd be spared all those loving "insights" about astronauts with survivors guilt but I doubt the game would be as remembered and loved without the context it gives you

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Roger Tangerines posted:

it's called tough love

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

except gone home is actually good.

even without the lgbt element it would have been a good game.

Even if you don't like it, you can't say it deserved all the hste it got. I mean Dear Esther has even less gameplay than Gone Home, but nobody got insanely mad at that game did they? Or at least not enough for me to notice.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

sometimes minimalism is ok from a gameplay perspective, imo. I reckon a lot would have been lost if it wasn't interactive fiction.

Dec 26, 2012

Roger Tangerines posted:

roger tangerines, grow a pair.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

zen death robot posted:

Pacman is minimalist from a gameplay perspective. A fully 3D rendered home with tons of interactive objects isn't, aside from the fact that they deliberately left it devoid of anything other than narrative.

also you can put casset tapes into tape players and listen to them :D. It is minimalist. You can't tell me it's not, because that'd imply it had a lot of complex gameplay, which is incorrect.

ultimately, the narrative alone is enough to make it a fulfilling gameplay experience, to me. This is why I say it's a good game.

For this kind of thing there isn't a true correct answer because taste is subjective. It'd only be objectively bad if it was too buggy to play properly, had broken mechanics, or something like that.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Lt. Danger posted:

Unironically yes.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

Meis posted:

ultimately, the narrative alone is enough to make it a fulfilling gameplay experience, to me. This is why I say it's a good game.

Then you'll be excited to know there's this great new medium that's actually all-narrative and most of the time the writing is way, way better than YCS washouts who worked on Bioshock 2!

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

zen death robot posted:

What gameplay mechanics in Gone Home stood out, exactly?

none very much. I liked the secret passages and stuff though

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
how many versions of this thread are there now?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

zen death robot posted:

Gone Home was a bad game because it's all story and no game. Simple as that really. You just click on poo poo. It's fun to bring up only because people will accuse you of hating gay people if you don't like it. Other than that there is no challenge, just click on enough poo poo and nod your head. It might as well have been a movie, really.

Dear Esther gets ignored because no one gave it GOTY.

So there's lots of different kinds of ''games'' and while some games are very structured and logical (chess) or competitive (a footrace) others are more creative and imaginative (typically roleplay games like playing house) and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that or with having a preference.

But I don't know where Gone Home fits on the spectrum because I don't play stupid pretentious art games for hipsters.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Lt. Danger posted:

So there's lots of different kinds of ''games'' and while some games are very structured and logical (chess) or competitive (a footrace) others are more creative and imaginative (typically roleplay games like playing house) and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that or with having a preference.

But I don't know where Gone Home fits on the spectrum because I don't play stupid pretentious art games for hipsters.

yeah, that's what I'm trying to say. It's all down to preference. I've yet to see any reasonable argument for it being an objectively bad game.

It's ok to disagree about things!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Roger Tangerines posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Meis posted:

yeah, that's what I'm trying to say. It's all down to preference. I've yet to see any reason for it being an objectively bad game.

It's ok to disagree about things!

On the one hand, it's like, games are a broad medium that includes many different churches, you know? But on the other hand, Gone Home is a loving poo poo game for idiots.

• Locked thread