Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

The only thing I know about Romania is that I dated a Romanian boy once and he had the longest and widest dick I have ever encountered in my entire life. Dumb as a post though.

I don't know why I felt like sharing that but you're welcome.

Could you post the country's map it most resembled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ah yes, the eurocoin cock and balls.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Sweden, pre-castration.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

what do the different shades of green represent?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

What beautiful memories. :sweden:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

a pipe smoking dog posted:

what do the different shades of green represent?

The wikipedia file doesn't tell but I'm guessing the light green is Sweden ca 1300, medium ca 1500 and dark green ca 1700.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 7, 2014

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Kennel posted:

The wikipedia file doesn't tell but I'm guessing the light green is Sweden ca 1300, medium ca 1500 and dark green ca 1700.

Sounds about right, here's a map of scandinavia 1219:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SaltyJesus posted:

This is interesting, the Serbian word for "to repent" is "pokajati se" ("se" is just the reflexive part of the verb). The repentant ones would be "pokajnici". I suppose it could be an older word that escaped Francization of the Romanian language?

Slavic languages share a Proto-Slavic origin of that particular word "kajati", which means "to punish". This word in turn hares a genealogy with Greek and Indo-European words "tinó" and "cayate", respectively.

It's pretty clear that "pocaiti", "kajati" and "cayate" are one of the cases when words share a very clear common history.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Kennel posted:

I have played enough paradox games that I should have realised that.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kamrat posted:

What beautiful memories. :sweden:

"Once we controlled a bit more empty wasteland."

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kamrat posted:

Sounds about right, here's a map of scandinavia 1219:

This map introduced me to the existence of the Livonian Brothers of the Sword, but whose territory does yellow represent? The Hanseatic League?

Edit: It appears to be land conquered by Valdemar II of Denmark. The Hanseatic League was not founded until the following century.

Edible Hat fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 7, 2014

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Edible Hat posted:

This map introduced me to the existence of the Livonian Brothers of the Sword, but whose territory does yellow represent? The Hanseatic League?

wikipedia posted:

The realms of Denmark, Norway, Sweden and the Sword Brethren. In yellow; the conqued territories by Denmark in 1219.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The sword brethren sounds like the name of a mercenary troupe in loving lovely high fantasy novel. Or low fantasy novel.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Frostwerks posted:

The sword brethren sounds like the name of a mercenary troupe in loving lovely high fantasy novel. Or low fantasy novel.

Sounds :black101: as gently caress to me, so yeah I guess exactly what you said

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Ah yes, the only :flaccid: that successfully managed to regrow its foreskin back, only to get castrated later.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Disco Infiva posted:

Ah yes, the only :flaccid: that successfully managed to regrow its foreskin back, only to get castrated later.
Please do not imply that Scania had any connection to Sweden before they stole it from us.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Please do not imply that Scania had any connection to Sweden before they stole it from us.

Well it has a fairly undeniable geographic connection.

tough stains
May 23, 2007

Desire gets the upper hand over insight and foresight and the results are often needless entanglement.
The US Department of Agriculture's Economic Research Service keeps tabs on household expenditures for food, alcohol, and tobacco around the world.

Source: http://www.vox.com/2014/7/6/5874499/map-heres-how-much-every-country-spends-on-food

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Rumda posted:

Well it has a fairly undeniable geographic connection.
You know what I mean. :colbert:

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Frostwerks posted:

That was an unofficial name. Their official Latin name "Fratres militiae Christi in Livonia" means something like "The Fighting Brothers of Christ in Livonia".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livonian_Brothers_of_the_Sword

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Ah yes, the olden days. My only regret is that the Russian tsar didn't demand the Finnish border further west :I could swear there was a Finland smilie with a crying Nokia phone*

Pictured: the Kalix river, the righteous border between Sweden and Finland and what unquestionably should have been :argh:

Fabulous Knight fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 7, 2014

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

IntricoInutile posted:

The US Department of Agriculture's Economic Research Service keeps tabs on household expenditures for food, alcohol, and tobacco around the world.

Source: http://www.vox.com/2014/7/6/5874499/map-heres-how-much-every-country-spends-on-food

Is that a politically loaded map, because for some reason the USA is the only nation in the "best" category?

I'm just going to quote this from the Eastern Europe thread:

OddObserver posted:

Oh god, CNN:

Well, at least it's not in Pakistan this time?

Note that Slovyansk and Kramatorsk are in reality only 16 kilometer apart (according to the internet at least). And of course, the Ukraine recapturing cities in the Russian controlled Crimea would lead to much different news.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

Torrannor posted:

Is that a politically loaded map, because for some reason the USA is the only nation in the "best" category?

I'm guessing that has to do with our government's very high farm subsidies which drive down the price of food in America, combined with it being a relatively wealthy nation.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

duckmaster posted:

They're all ridiculous and the islands quite clearly belong to Freedomland!

quote:

The Free Territory of Freedomland should not be confused with the Principality of Freedomland or the Republic of Koneuwe which was set up by a French swindler also in the Spratlys but not on the same islands.

Best part of the article.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/07/us-states-tightness-looseness-map

made of bees
May 21, 2013
For a second I thought this was going to be a map about to what degree each state is stuck in the mid 90s.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
If "access to alcohol" is just "number of counties that allow alcohol" instead of weighing by actual population access then that makes the whole thing pretty silly.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

oldswitcheroo posted:

I'm guessing that has to do with our government's very high farm subsidies which drive down the price of food in America, combined with it being a relatively wealthy nation.
It also excludes people eating out, which I don't really think makes sense. Especially not in a country where fast food is as important as it is in the US. I assume it's excluded for everyone else too, but since I doubt the proportions are equal between countries, it's going to skew things. Plus the US is only just below the 7% divider, at 6.6%, if we ignore eating out which pushes it all the way to 11%.

Subsidies and low minimum wages compared to other rich countries probably help keep things cheap in the US, while taxes in for example Europe widens the gap further, even if this map is not entirely truthful.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 7, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Wait, under 40 what, exactly? 40 laws? I read the article linked but didn't see what numbers they were showing with that map.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
It's an index of various factors, the methodology is in the paper's supporting information. Some of it sounds a bit suspect, but I don't know much about psychology.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Wait, under 40 what, exactly? 40 laws? I read the article linked but didn't see what numbers they were showing with that map.

The units are in PSI.

rear end PSI.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

steinrokkan posted:

"Once we controlled a bit more empty wasteland."

It wasn't empty. There was a bunch of ore and trees and poo poo.

and Finns

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
On that note, here's a forest map of Europe.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Wow, the UK must really hate trees.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Most of the UK was deforested some time before they started using coal, correct?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Most of the UK was deforested some time before they started using coal, correct?

That's correct.

Believe it or not that map shows an improvement compared to 100 years ago.

I heard a stat that says New England has 2 million more trees now then it did in 1900. Ironically we can thank the Industrial Revolution for partially saving the environment.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pook Good Mook posted:

That's correct.

Believe it or not that map shows an improvement compared to 100 years ago.

I heard a stat that says New England has 2 million more trees now then it did in 1900. Ironically we can thank the Industrial Revolution for partially saving the environment.

Also westward expansion. New England is a terrible place to farm compared to practically everything west of the Appalachians.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Yeah, if you're looking for the culprits its the Britons/Romans/Saxons/Normans who chopped down most of the trees. In fact some of the first conservation laws were put into place by medieval kings because they wanted intact forests they could get their hunt on in.

I seem to recall reading something as an undergrad about how the "discovery" of North America saved the last scattered bits of forest in Europe. Really huge trees for things like roofing and sailing ship masts were easier to just ship across from the Americas than drag out from the remains bits of woodland on the continent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
All over the Northeast (pretty much wherever you see Eastern White Pines grow) you'll find tons of roads named "Mast Road" for this reason.