Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

im pooping on this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Prefuse posted:

im pooping on this thread

Greetings.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

drat this dude is gay lol

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Games that do the Banjo Kazooie style grunts in place of actual voice acting ftw.
This, also games where it makes little beeps as the text scrolls but the beeps are different for different characters, like Illusion of Gaia

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Prefuse posted:

He requested a ban from 3 different mods because he got an av that linked back to this thread.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Prefuse posted:

can you not ruin this swell topic idiot

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Illusion of Gaia sucks

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

videogames have some really good writing.....for me to poop on

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

He requested a ban from 3 different mods because he got an av that linked back to this thread.
im gonna ban him too

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

fronz posted:

Illusion of Gaia sucks
Kind of yeah, but some of the music is nice, and being centered around weird ancient monuments from actual history is kind of neat

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
if no game had voice acting imagine how much worse the bad writing would already be

I mean Bioware's dialogue is cringeworthy enough when you've got a fairly talented voice actor doing their damndest to salvage it. Imagine if it had to stand on its own.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

fronz posted:

Illusion of Gaia sucks

woah now you've gone too far

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

The Sharmat posted:

if no game had voice acting imagine how much worse the bad writing would already be

I mean Bioware's dialogue is cringeworthy enough when you've got a fairly talented voice actor doing their damndest to salvage it. Imagine if it had to stand on its own.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Gaider#Novels

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Hideo Kojima is unironically a better writer than all of Bioware.

Reset Button
Jan 25, 2011

The Colonel posted:

Hideo Kojima is unironically a better writer than all of Bioware.

anyone that puts a homo scene not defined by player choice (in the sense that ur completionist rear end is obligated 2 be gay to get a rly nice item, not just an achievement branding u a homo) in their games and counts his money when nerds get mad is a-ok with me
"b-but kojima they're too close in the trailer" "they have a strong manly bond gently caress off"
Kojima Forever.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

"The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for books"

ahahahaha

EDIT: The Amazon.com reviews for this poo poo are bewildering. Right on the first page I see a guy who in his review states that "this is one of the most tedious things I've ever read", but gives it 3 out of 5 stars

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 7, 2014

Reset Button
Jan 25, 2011

they might have read Ayn Rand and are using her work as a baseline
this is why I can stomach bioware games.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm not sure even that would explain his books getting 4.5/5 customer reviews on average.

The only thing I can think of is that only Dragon Age fans ever read them, and Dragon Age fans have also never read anything else in their lives.

Reset Button
Jan 25, 2011

you're exactly right probably

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

The Sharmat posted:

EDIT: The Amazon.com reviews for this poo poo are bewildering. Right on the first page I see a guy who in his review states that "this is one of the most tedious things I've ever read", but gives it 3 out of 5 stars

Video Game Review Scoring has hit the big time!

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
that dude messaged me asking if i would ban him but i didnt

also who gets all bent out of shape because they made a hugeass game thread and look like a dork gee whiz

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Come to think of it even that doesn't explain the reviews because there is fanfiction better written than Bioware tie-in novels and I'm pretty sure Bioware fans consume a lot of loving fanfiction

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

The Sharmat posted:

Come to think of it even that doesn't explain the reviews because there is fanfiction better written than Bioware tie-in novels and I'm pretty sure Bioware fans consume a lot of loving fanfiction

they're probably bioware employees

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
the book review industry is owned by EA as well. I've been such a sheep

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I give it like a month before he regrets it and reregs or buys another account tbh

Dec 26, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

i never read one but i assumed they were on the level of every trashy fantasy novel that sells, except with a name people recognize

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

The Sharmat posted:

I give it like a month before he regrets it and reregs or buys another account tbh

probably already bought another account and is just avoiding posting about video game writing

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

01011001 posted:

i never read one but i assumed they were on the level of every trashy fantasy novel that sells, except with a name people recognize

tbh all I've seen are excerpts out of one of the more widely mocked Mass Effect novels but the writing in that was just so much worse than even that kind of generic trash it was hard to believe. there are seriously highschool students that could write better than what I saw of that

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Fag Boy Jim posted:

it was worth it over FNV's pathetic choices of Rawls from The Wire, Tigh from BSG, Danny Trejo, and Michael Dorn. not a single a-lister.

Ring a ding ding, baby

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm happy that me making GBS threads up this thread as the first post caused this dude to realize how loving stupid his thread is and that he selfbanned like a bitch. :D

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Babyface Mingo posted:

I'm happy that me making GBS threads up this thread as the first post caused this dude to realize how loving stupid his thread is and that he selfbanned like a bitch. :D
This misconception is older than Grandma's toaster.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Endorph posted:

dan mcneely did voice acting for dust: an elysium tail

yeah and the voice acting in the game SUCKS

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I don't think the OP should have been banned, even if he asked for it.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
the fmv's in dust were deviantart as hell. poo poo was great

Dec 26, 2012

he would have figured out how to autoban eventually so whatever

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

mabels big day posted:

I don't think the OP should have been banned, even if he asked for it.

if the narrative of video game masterpiece Mass Effect has taught us anything, it's that choices have consequences

Dec 26, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

if the narrative of video game masterpiece Mass Effect has taught us anything, it's that choices have consequences

will you beg for a ban, spam goatse threads until you get put down like a rabid dog, or post a thread with one of the bannable tags? the choice is yours, friend - but remember, everything you do has consequences

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Does the ban come with an email reminding you of what you did though?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
it's time for the legend of Roger Tangerines to be rewritten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
WHAT IS THIS THREAD

• Locked thread