Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Oh no, I tried to understand the plot. That was my great failing. I paid so close attention to it, trying to give meaning to Proper Houns that had no meaning, that it actively hurt my enjoyment of the series. I was PISSED at the anime's ending because it answered none of the plot-related questions I had. I wanted to know what that Lance thing was, I wanted to know about what SEELE was up to, about these Dead Sea Scrolls and what the hell Human Instrumentality even meant. I was super-invested in the story.

Then End of Evangelion answered all of this, or so it seems. Like I said, I gave up about a half-hour into the movie but people assure me that all is explained. The Dead Sea Scrolls that were written like a couple thousand years ago somehow record the history of a super-ancient civilization that created the Angels and one of these angels made humanity. I guess Young Earth Creationism is the answer in NGE because even I know enough about science and how old the human race is to understand why this makes no sense.

Anyway, after EOE, I decided the anime's ending was best because the story was thoroughly unenjoyable; it was just a series of Terms being spat at you with no context or explanation for a long, long time. I won't hide the fact I didn't understand a great deal of the storyline so that is my fault and could easily be why I try to ignore the story aspect.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
What you're talking about isn't story, it's scenery. None of it matters, except insofar as it helps the viewer get into Shinji's equally confused shoes.

Which isn't to say that the "answers" don't exist, as long as you don't mind a bunch of videogame writers playing telephone with Anno's off-the-cuff replies, just that knowing them has only the faintest bearing on the actual story, which is about depression and trying to find a sense of purpose/belonging.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 17, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sorry if I'm blunt about this but this is how I feel about most fantasy "worldbuilding" and NGE is one of the few cases where the show actively resists that kind of mechanical dissection. I mean it's named after a religious document written by at least four different authors for christ's sake, what do you expect? :v:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 17, 2014

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice

NikkolasKing posted:

I guess Young Earth Creationism is the answer in NGE

I don't know why people keeping calling it this. The way it is explained it is more akin to Panspermia with a heavy element of guided evolution.

But, yeah, as Tuxedo Catfish says, it is just window dressing.

Utritum fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 17, 2014

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Basically quit getting hung up on the poo poo that doesn't loving matter you goddamned manchild.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Oh that's not what I meant. I know about that thing you linked to from Xenogears but what I meant by saying "young earth" is because the Dead Sea Scrolls, written less than 2,000 years ago, apparently contain all the records of this ancient civilization and the genesis of humanity and the angels. That only seems to make sense to me if the Earth and humanity has only been around for a few thousand years, as opposed to something like, what, 50,000 years for humans and a few billion years for Earth?

SHISHKABOB posted:

Basically quit getting hung up on the poo poo that doesn't loving matter you goddamned manchild.

...I'm not hung up on it. That's why this whole thing started, by me saying I ignored the plot and just enjoyed the characters.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 17, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe the Dead Sea Scrolls are, in fact, divinely inspired.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

NikkolasKing posted:

...I'm not hung up on it. That's why this whole thing started, by me saying I ignored the plot and just enjoyed the characters.

He says after several posts containing a wall of text. Its cool, whats the problem with be hung up on it anyway.

Sigh, when is the last rebuild slated for btw ?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I will be disappointed if Rebuild 4 doesn't consist entirely a live action Anno walking onto the set, flipping the bird to the audience, and walking off again.

The credits will be every single death and suffering scene played in slow motion while 'We Are the Champions' plays in the background.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
If there isn't some kind of "the truth is..." bit I will be supremely disappointed

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

All I want from Rebuild 4 is catharsis.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

NikkolasKing posted:

No seriously, why do people like End of Evangelion again?

:420: x10000000000000

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I liked the part where there were random clips of random things including: early animation frames from coloring with no outlines or shading where the background is not being cleared between each frame, panorama views of an alternatingly full or empty cinema, pictures of hate mail to the producer, and god knows what else was there. That is some stellar writing right there.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

EoE is Anno loving with the fans and putting in a bunch of stuff that people said they wanted in a 'real' ending and twisting it all horribly.
Also I'd love any film that was the authors rage manifest on screen.

Actually untrue. The internet's built this narrative about EoE that's just snowballed into a myth.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Again: most of the mail Anno received about the ending of the series was positive, and the rough draft of EoE was written before the television finale aired. In fact, it was the original television finale, right up until the censors laughed them out of the room.

There's also some neat stuff that got cut from EoE, including several What A Wonderful Life-esque scenes of live action Rei and Misato in a world without Shinji while his disembodied spirit watches and realizes how different things could be.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 17, 2014

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Again: most of the mail Anno received about the ending of the series was positive, and the rough draft of EoE was written before the television finale aired. In fact, it was the original television finale, right up until the censors laughed them out of the room.

There's also some neat stuff that got cut from EoE, including several What A Wonderful Life-esque scenes of live action Rei and Misato in a world without Shinji while his disembodied spirit watches and realizes how different things could be.

Re: the censors. Woah, really? My spotty knowledge from 10 years ago about why the TV show ended the way it did (i.e. in a very minimalist, not-actually-ending way) tells me "mostly budget." Was censorship more of an issue, or was it just a huge combination of things overall?

Also, where can I find more about the stuff cut from EoE or originally planned about it? I'd really like to learn more.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bisse posted:

I liked the part where there were random clips of random things including: early animation frames from coloring with no outlines or shading where the background is not being cleared between each frame, panorama views of an alternatingly full or empty cinema, pictures of hate mail to the producer, and god knows what else was there. That is some stellar writing right there.

I know. I know it let you down.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Szmitten posted:

Actually untrue. The internet's built this narrative about EoE that's just snowballed into a myth.

I prefer thinking that Anno just made EoE as a less obvious rehash of the subtext from episodes 25-26.

For gods sake, instrumentality is described several times as death and rebirth, the mini films of the series before EoE were called death and rebirth and Shinji literally sheds his old beliefs and gains enlightenment of a new way of being(choosing his own destiny and loosing his hang ups).

EoE is like that bit out of the Simpsons where the FBI are telling Homer his new witness protection name. Instead of the FBI agents, just picture Anno, instead of Homer picture the viewer. But instead of the viewer/Homer not getting he is now called mister Tompson it is that they do jot get the subtext, despite the FBI/Annos repeated prompts and obvious hints. That whole scene sums up EoE

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DrPop posted:

Re: the censors. Woah, really? My spotty knowledge from 10 years ago about why the TV show ended the way it did (i.e. in a very minimalist, not-actually-ending way) tells me "mostly budget." Was censorship more of an issue, or was it just a huge combination of things overall?

Also, where can I find more about the stuff cut from EoE or originally planned about it? I'd really like to learn more.

The original cut of the ending involved a gas attack on NERV HQ. This was shortly after a for-real terrorist nerve gas attack on a Japanese subway. Upon reading the uncut script, at least one censor instantly turned to ice and shattered.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

I know. I know it let you down.
It did not let me down - it surpassed my expectations and, quite literally, blew my mind.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

DrPop posted:

The reason the last two episodes are so minimalist is because their plans got shot down so late they didnt have time to make a proper ending. By all accounts the last two episodes would have involved a gas attack on NERV HQ, which is what set the censors off since, you know, there was a major terrorist attack in Japan around the time NGE was airing that involved sarin gas in the Tokyo subways.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bisse posted:

It did not let me down - it surpassed my expectations and, quite literally, blew my mind.

Then you've been a fool to yourself.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
[edit] gently caress too slow

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
As fun as it sounds, and even as fitting as the final product is to the idea...I really doubt anyone out there has enough hate and willpower to direct the production of a full length animated movie fueled by nothing but pure spite for the people who want to buy it.

(fully expecting a laundry list of Anime movies made on nothing but spite now)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Then you've been a fool to yourself.

Man, now he'll never love again. His world is ending. :smith:

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

After every one of us watches the ends of NGE and EoE, I think we all wish we could turn back time.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
If I could turn back time
If I could find a way
I'd take back those scenes that hurt you
And you'd stay
If I could write without
Religo-techno gobbledy-goo
Then you'd love me, love me
Like you used to do

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

DrPop posted:

After every one of us watches the ends of NGE and EoE, I think we all wish we could turn back time.

yeah, so i can watch it again

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

mr. stefan posted:

The reason the last two episodes are so minimalist is because their plans got shot down so late they didnt have time to make a proper ending. By all accounts the last two episodes would have involved a gas attack on NERV HQ, which is what set the censors off since, you know, there was a major terrorist attack in Japan around the time NGE was airing that involved sarin gas in the Tokyo subways.

Also untrue, it was less an issue of budget and more of time, but Anno also changed his mind and wanted to go all in on the minimalist episode 25 (episode 26 was always gonna be minimalist) and the movie was already greenlit by this point.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

If I could turn back time
If I could find a way
I'd take back those scenes that hurt you
And you'd stay
If I could write without
Religo-techno gobbledy-goo
Then you'd love me, love me
Like you used to do

Trent Reznor - ~If I Can't Be Yours~

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Rah Xephon is about a pedophile who wants to bang the time-frozen, still-teenaged version of her highschool crush and was dating his clone for years. :v:

so he's gendo then.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Rah-Xephon: Gendo Did Nothing Wrong

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

NikkolasKing posted:

Oh that's not what I meant. I know about that thing you linked to from Xenogears but what I meant by saying "young earth" is because the Dead Sea Scrolls, written less than 2,000 years ago, apparently contain all the records of this ancient civilization and the genesis of humanity and the angels. That only seems to make sense to me if the Earth and humanity has only been around for a few thousand years, as opposed to something like, what, 50,000 years for humans and a few billion years for Earth?

Ugh..I'm..I'm sorry to do this. Basically the Dead Sea Scrolls were a 'how to' to bring about the Human Instrumentality (breaking down individuality physically) and build the Evas the Catalyst for Human Instrumentality. That's about it.

Also in a fictional show where giant "robots" exist the point where you can't suspend your belief any longer is how long ago humanity was formed? How do you enjoy fiction?! I want to help you!! :gonk:

Also something written less than 2,000 years ago can contain information from earlier in time, thus making a record on it! :eng101:

Anyway back to the thread:

Even without the series The End of Evangelion is still one of my favourite movies.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well why name them after a real thing? I get that Eva is full of shoehorned in SYMBOLISM but the Dead Sea Scrolls are not symbolic. They are a real thing. There's a world of difference between naming your made-up How To guide after something real and say, naming the Angels after mythological creatures.

I dunno, just seems needlessly obtuse to me. Metal Gear Solid 2 is another one of those things people like to compare to Evangelion but you didn't have a cutscene with the Colonel going "mwahahaha, all is going exactly as foretold by the Declaration of Independence!" (Although I guess that wouldn't have been too out-of-place...)

I don't even know why people like to compare NGE to so many things. I found a whole topic elsewhere discussing "what is the Evangelion of video games?"

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I think it's handwaved away somewhere or other: the Dead Sea Scrolls we know in reality were not the complete collection in Eva's world, and that's because SEELE seized the ones saying "yo, Angels are loving terrifying, and here's Instrumentality too while you're here, I guess."

jvempire
May 10, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Well why name them after a real thing? I get that Eva is full of shoehorned in SYMBOLISM but the Dead Sea Scrolls are not symbolic. They are a real thing. There's a world of difference between naming your made-up How To guide after something real and say, naming the Angels after mythological creatures.
I'm not the most well versed in the history of discovering and figuring out the Dead Sea Scrolls, but before the texts were fully translated many people believed it would hold the answers to the end of the world. As NGE is about end of the world apocalypse, I believe that's what the reference is for choosing that name specifically.

Edit:
Like it's not the best reasoning to use it's name, as everything has an end of the world conspiracy, but that's the 90's for you.

jvempire fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 18, 2014

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

NikkolasKing posted:

I dunno, just seems needlessly obtuse to me. Metal Gear Solid 2 is another one of those things people like to compare to Evangelion but you didn't have a cutscene with the Colonel going "mwahahaha, all is going exactly as foretold by the Declaration of Independence!" (Although I guess that wouldn't have been too out-of-place...)

I don't even know why people like to compare NGE to so many things. I found a whole topic elsewhere discussing "what is the Evangelion of video games?"

Why should they live in a city called Tokyo(-3)?! Why didn't they just make up one? Why do they talk about Lilith and Adam?? It sounds cool or interesting or fits the theme of the story according to what the writer says fits.

Yes the Dead Sea scrolls are a real thing but, this is representation of them in a fictional cartoon, they are not going to be the same! When they start talking about them and you have knowledge of what they are, as soon as you hear that they're clearly different just roll with it?

You. Are. Thinking too much!!

Please NikkolasKing, I feel the need to find you out there in the world shake you and scream "how do you enjoy fiction, if when they talk about/use something that exists in reality differently??"

The frustration of this is breaking me as a person.

Robots, monsters, clones all fine, but the concept that the Dead Sea scrolls maybe different to what you know???:gonk:

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

In a futuristic mecha anime with cybernetic organisms being manufactured by the state in a convoluted plan to liberate/enslave humanity depending on your viewpoint, in a world where there exists a floating rorschach orb that submerges you in a black sea of nothingness, where Antarctica is a red wasteland and where the Spear of Destiny is a major plot point, the thing that upset you most and where your immersion breaks is that the Dead See Scrolls may differ slightly from the real life version of them.

Sperg much, or christian warrior?

There is also liberal use of crucifixes, the enemy monsters are called Angels and are literally named after biblical angels, I could go on and on.... but, man, those Dead Sea Scrolls huh? Important stuff!

To answer your questions of 'why':
In FMA, there was a chapter where a character was bound to a cross before submerged (sacrificed!! according to internet neckbeard warriors) in some kind of liquid of death. When translated, the cross was censored and replaced with just a concrete slab.
When the author was interviewed about the situation - why did you choose to draw a cross? Was there some deeper meaning to it? Was there a religious motif to the scene? - her answer was, verbatim:
"No, I just thought it looked cool. I didn't put much thought into it."

And that should be all you need to know about religious motifs in EVA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

I think I love you Bisse...

Take me in your mech and take me away from 3D Pig-Ugly world where we'll write our own Dead Sea Scrolls...of Love!

Or let's keep talking about animoos in this forum instead, ahem.