Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Nate RFB posted:

Didn't Crichton also write a book about "men can be raped too :qq:"? Yeah I guess he was a little bit of a shithead.

Are you saying men can't be raped? That's pretty sexist :smug:.

Anyone seen Evangelion@school?

It's 24 3D animated shorts featuring 'cutified' versions of Shinji, Rei, Asuka and unit 01 going to a school run by Gendo and Misato.

It was pretty funny to watch until the episode where Gendo is trying to give a bouquet of flowers to Rei but his own shyness(?) stops him. Pretty creepy! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm watching ghostbusters right now. Have you guys seen ghostbusters recently. Evangelion is just like ghostbusters except depressing as gently caress instead of hilarious.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

I'm watching ghostbusters right now. Have you guys seen ghostbusters recently. Evangelion is just like ghostbusters except depressing as gently caress instead of hilarious.

Don't insult Ghostbusters.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

Don't insult Ghostbusters.

It's the highest praise :colbert:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Evangelion is like Jurassic Park except with Angels instead of dinosaurs.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Are you saying men can't be raped? That's pretty sexist :smug:.

Anyone seen Evangelion@school?

It's 24 3D animated shorts featuring 'cutified' versions of Shinji, Rei, Asuka and unit 01 going to a school run by Gendo and Misato.

It was pretty funny to watch until the episode where Gendo is trying to give a bouquet of flowers to Rei but his own shyness(?) stops him. Pretty creepy! :v:

Never got why people liked Gendo so much until I saw some scans of this.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Pureauthor posted:

Evangelion is like Jurassic Park except with Angels instead of dinosaurs.

No no I'm serious. I don't mean the whole movie, I just meant the "window dressing" that catfish was talking about. In ghostbusters there's oodles of technobabble and crazy mystical talk about the end of the world and poo poo like that, just like in evangelion. Except in ghostbusters nobody fuckin takes it seriously, but it still gives the movie a really great atmosphere when you listen to it. It's the same thing in evangelion. Sounds cool! But there's nothin to it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

No no I'm serious. I don't mean the whole movie, I just meant the "window dressing" that catfish was talking about. In ghostbusters there's oodles of technobabble and crazy mystical talk about the end of the world and poo poo like that, just like in evangelion. Except in ghostbusters nobody fuckin takes it seriously, but it still gives the movie a really great atmosphere when you listen to it. It's the same thing in evangelion. Sounds cool! But there's nothin to it.

Ray takes it seriously!

Admittedly that is because Dan Ackroyd takes it seriously.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
And that's what makes it good, rather than just dumb!

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

NikkolasKing posted:

Never got why people liked Gendo so much until I saw some scans of this.

Brilliant, utterly brilliant. :allears:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It's rather peculiar... All my arguing against Eva has put me in an Eva mood.

Should I try Rebuild?

Also thinking about trying the manga adaptation. Viz has 3-in-1 sets for only $13.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Should I try Rebuild?

Also thinking about trying the manga adaptation. Viz has 3-in-1 sets for only $13.

Rebuild is interesting but unfinished so you'll have to take that into account. It's also very very much an emotion story, not a logic story. If you're looking for worldbuilding or whatnot, it don't got it and will actively mock your attempts to look for it.

The manga is basically the show but less interesting in most ways. It isn't a terrible read but it is basically 90% the same with some fleshing out or minor changes (Characters introduced earlier, certain questions answers) and the ending being different in a way that is pretty dull.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Should I try Rebuild?

I honestly think you should just drop Eva and find something else.

You purposely ignore the plot to focus on the characters because you find it boring/stupid/overly complicated, thus only taking in half of the experience as characters are effected by the plot and the plot is effected by the actions/inactions of the characters.

You're looking for an anime that you can dive into and buy tons of merch for, great! Except you don't enjoy 50% of what makes Evangelion what it is, so what would be the point? You're trying to buy into everything that came afterward when you thought the series was "meh".

You can't suspend belief over the tiniest detail, thus if any more items/names/things appear that have a reality based counter part you're going to have problems with it.

You're trying to like it, it's admirable, it really is but for your own sake, stop. You want to get into something you have said you didn't enjoy. Do not force yourself to like something just because other people like it, move along and find your anime.

I also suggest a new thread titled: "Neon Genesis Evangelion: You Can (Not) Suspend Belief".

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jul 20, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Except it's already been said numerous times in this thread and other places that the plot of Eva doesn't matter. What matters is the characters. You watch it for their trauma, their drama, their interactions, their triumphs and defeats. Where the Angels came from, what SEELE's motivation was, all that is fluff that I shouldn't have paid much attention to. Getting hung up on what the Lance thing was meant I was missing the entire point of the show.

Is that not correct?

I don't know if you played Xenogears but Imp at least should understand this. People likened Eva to Xenogears a lot, even before I played Xenogears personally about ten years ago. So I went into NGE thinking "okay, this is a mystery and this is a mystery andI'm not exactly sure what this character is up to, but eventually all will be revealed and perfectly understood." I was fixated on that part of the show and it hindered my ability to appreciate the show. Because Evangelion is nothing like Xenogears. The worldbuilding and unraveling the plot isn't what I'm supposed to care about.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 20, 2014

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Except it's already been said numerous times in this thread and other places that the plot of Eva doesn't matter. What matters is the characters. You watch it for their trauma, their drama, their interactions, their triumphs and defeats. Where the Angels came from, what SEELE's motivation was, all that is fluff that I shouldn't have paid much attention to. Getting hung up on what the Lance thing was meant I was missing the entire point of the show.

:ughh: If the plot of any story didn't matter, it wouldn't be in the story.

The opinions from people on the Internet are not facts.

You asked if you should watch the new films or read the manga. It's the same story that you experienced from the TV series. The same TV series that you described as 'meh' even after you focused on "their trauma, their drama, their interactions, their triumphs and defeats" for 26 episodes.

Where the angels come from, SEELE's motivation, is Adam an alien or the first human? Are all plot devices designed to round out the story and make it more robust. Yes it's fluff, but it's the fluff on the plot.

My opinion is that you should not try get into Eva based off your own opinion of the series after watching it. :shepicide:

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 20, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I mean, you've seen Rebuild I presume so your opinion is definitely of more worth than mine on this but all I've heard is people saying it's quite different. You're saying it's more or less the same as the original?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I mean, you've seen Rebuild I presume so your opinion is definitely of more worth than mine on this but all I've heard is people saying it's quite different. You're saying it's more or less the same as the original?

The 1st movie hits most of the plot points the same and covers up to Operation Yashima. The 2nd movie has some important changes in characterization and events. The 3rd movie onwards is pretty much its own thing.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Rebuild 1 is basically the same as the series up to Ramiel ( 5th angel).
Rebuild 2 is very similar to the series up till Zeruel (14th angel) but with a lot of content taken out ie multiple angel fights, and some world building/significant character development thrown in.
Rebuild 3 is in a completely different setting but the core plot/theme is the same along with the relationship building between Shinji and Kawrou (done much worse in my opinion), just played out differently. Still lots of techno/pseudo science babble.

The characters in rebuild are mostly the same to the series but ever so slightly different personality wise, along with some visual cues, this leads fans to believe rebuild is actual a continuation of the series after End of Evangelion when Shinji rejects instrumentality.

Also in my opinion rebuild 3 does not feel as Eva-y and suffers from even more stupidity prevalent in most modern anime thus watering down the (uggghhh) Eva experience.

Feel free to go watch them, it's just based off what you've said about Eva. I wouldn't say it's worth your time investing just to get the third movie if that's what interests you the most.

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 20, 2014

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

NikkolasKing posted:

Rebuild 1 is virtually exactly the same. Essentially a shot-for-shot remake with new visuals and one or two plot changes.

Rebuild 2 is similar. It's pretty much exactly the same, plot-wise, as the series although there are a number of differences. However, the film goes completely off the rails in the last fifteen minutes or so.

Rebuild 3 has some similar themes, ideas and characters from the last part of the series but is completely new as far as plot and story goes. This film is incredibly divisive - I personally love it.

I'd check out Rebuild. My girlfriend couldn't get past the third episode of the TV series but has seen all the Rebuild movies.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 20, 2014

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

NikkolasKing, you will probably dislike rebuild for the same reasons you disliked the show. Stop wasting your time and try something else.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well I mean how long are the movies? If I lose an afternoon, big deal. Not like I'm wasting money on this anyway.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Well I mean how long are the movies? If I lose an afternoon, big deal. Not like I'm wasting money on this anyway.

309 minutes total. We warned you.

Spectral
Mar 24, 2013

Arrowsmith posted:

Reminder that the "Angels" are actually Apostles in the original Japanese.

Digging a little deeper: there is no direct translation of "angel" in Japanese (although the word that is used in Evangelion is not the standard Japanese translation for angel and you are right that it literally means apostle).

However, the show frequently refers to them as angels even in Japanese:

So it's not obvious why there is an apparent discrepancy.

More dumb trivia: the episode title card for episode 24 (The Final Messenger) and Ritsuko's description of Kaworu as the "saigo no shisha" (final messenger) is a bi-lingual pun. Kaworu's name consists of katakana shi and kanji sha (which together spells "messenger") and the standard Japanese translation for angel (tenshi) literally means "messenger of god".

I do not envy the Evangelion dubbing team.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Midjack posted:

NikkolasKing, you will probably dislike rebuild for the same reasons you disliked the show. Stop wasting your time and try something else.

NikkolasKing posted:

Midjack posted:

309 minutes total. We warned you.

We warned you about that Eva bro, we warned you! Really though, if you don't like please, for the love of god do not come posting about how you didn't like it.

The rebuilds bar 3 are the easiest Eva media to buy currently and would probably set you back 20 bucks at the most.

This is why you probably won't like it as you haven't made any kind of investment towards it and refer to it as "wasting money". Buy it from amazon and at least let the waiting of package build your curiosity to if you're going to like it or not. gently caress this try before you buy bullshit.

EDIT: Also partly because your fanatical affection for Xenogears and desire to reverse-engineer your fandom into its root influence or something, based off what people have said.

We have told you, you said you disliked the show, you're most likely going to dislike the movies.

:cripes:This is whole thing has been like a child who throws up every time he eats peanuts but is determined that if he eats peanuts in just the right way he won't throw up and keeps asking for more peanuts.

Thanks to Oxxidation for this latest edit.

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 21, 2014

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Facepalm Ranger posted:

We warned you about that Eva bro, we warned you! Really though, if you don't like please, for the love of god do not come posting about how you didn't like it.

The rebuilds bar 3 are the easiest Eva media to buy currently and would probably set you back 20 bucks at the most.

This is why you probably won't like it as you haven't made any kind of investment towards it and refer to it as "wasting money". Buy it from amazon and at least let the waiting of package build your curiosity to if you're going to like it or not. gently caress this try before you buy bullshit.

We have told you, you said you disliked the show, you're most likely going to dislike the movies.

:cripes:This is whole thing has been like a child who throws up every time he eats peanuts but is determined that if he eats peanuts in just the right way he won't throw up and keeps asking for more peanuts.

I think it's partly because he has a fanatical (and totally incorrect on account of it being butts) affection for Xenogears and wants to reverse-engineer his fandom into its root series or something.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
I've never played xenogears, though Ive heard its the type of game to relieve my fears

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

I've never played xenogears, though Ive heard its the type of game to relieve my fears

Xenogears is pretty ok for an overly ambitious game that had most of its budget taken away so FF8 could happen. They actually did their research for the religious symbolism, it's just not from a mainstream religion so people get confused.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Xenogears is literally half a game.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Pureauthor posted:

Xenogears is literally half a game.

This isn't exaggeration, disc 2 basically replaces the majority of gameplay or even cutscenes with literal textdumps because all their money got vacuumed into the FF8 development budget. If you're interested in the game, you're probably better off just reading TheDarkId's fantastic Let's Play.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Xenogears is pretty ok for an overly ambitious game that had most of its budget taken away so FF8 could happen. They actually did their research for the religious symbolism, it's just not from a mainstream religion so people get confused.

Exactly. Having seen Eva now, I think most of the Eva comparisons happen just because they both use "religious terms" but Xenogear actually uses most of them well while Eva apparently just slapped them on whatever because it's kewl.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

EDIT: Also partly because your fanatical affection for Xenogears and desire to reverse-engineer your fandom into its root influence or something, based off what people have said.

Thanks to Oxxidation for this latest edit.

I appreciate the concern you've shown for me but I think your freaking out is a bit unnecessary. Just because you dislike one aspect of a series doesn't mean you're going to hate everything. As already said in this very thread, there ar people who couldn't stomach the original series but enjoy Rebuild.

3 posted:

This isn't exaggeration, disc 2 basically replaces the majority of gameplay or even cutscenes with literal textdumps because all their money got vacuumed into the FF8 development budget. If you're interested in the game, you're probably better off just reading TheDarkId's fantastic Let's Play.

I was there for that LP, and it was suitably great, but I really don't know why anyone would read it before playing the game. It's like trying to pass off the RiffTrax version of a movie as giving you the legitimate experience. TDI's LP should be reserved for after you actually play the game.

Dred, you can get it for cheap on PSN or it's about $30 on ebay.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Exactly, having seen Eva now...

...I appreciate the concern you've shown for me but I think your freaking out is a bit unnecessary. Just because you dislike one aspect of a series doesn't mean you're going to hate everything. As already said in this very thread, there ar people who couldn't stomach the original series but enjoy Rebuild.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Go eat some peanuts instead of trying to convince yourself and us that if you try peanuts differently you'll like them.

Stop applying other's experience of liking peanuts when served differently to your experience you have had.

Go eat some fuckin' peanuts instead of talking about eating them! Please! :shepicide:

I'm done talking about peanuts and NikkolasKing now, no more peanut talk. :colbert:

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 21, 2014

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
FPR, you are kind of grating, dude.

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
Please feel free to post up a storm about how awful Eva is, it would be a much more stimulating discussion than nerds falling over themselves to tell you that you don't get it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I have an actual question about the characters then. This is a hold-over from the original series but seeing Rebuild reminded me that I never understood it.

Gendo's whole motive and drive is "for Yui" right? It justifies and sustains him in all the evil poo poo he does. Some people use that one line from End of Evangelion to say "see! He did care about Shinji all along!" However, for the entire series, he was a straight-up jerk to Shinji. One of the many ways he mistreated Shinji was lavishing all his affection on another, namely Rei. As Shinji just said "Rei Ayanami, why does dad smile when he sees her and why doesn't he smile for me?"

And so I'm curious why he gives a crap about her? Or at leas the pretends to give a crap about her? He's at least superficially nicer to her than anyone else.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

So I have an actual question about the characters then. This is a hold-over from the original series but seeing Rebuild reminded me that I never understood it.

Gendo's whole motive and drive is "for Yui" right? It justifies and sustains him in all the evil poo poo he does. Some people use that one line from End of Evangelion to say "see! He did care about Shinji all along!" However, for the entire series, he was a straight-up jerk to Shinji. One of the many ways he mistreated Shinji was lavishing all his affection on another, namely Rei. As Shinji just said "Rei Ayanami, why does dad smile when he sees her and why doesn't he smile for me?"

And so I'm curious why he gives a crap about her? Or at leas the pretends to give a crap about her?

Rei is both central to Gendo's plans and a clone of Yui Ikari. There's not much else that needs to be said.

The thing to remember about Gendo is that he's really similar to Shinji. Gendo is Shinji taken to his farthest and most illogical extreme. Gendo probably does love Shinji but, like Shinji himself, has a remarkably hard time focusing on what he has instead of what he doesn't have. Gendo is doing everything he does because he can't accept that his wife is gone. It's a small-minded and frankly petty idea that he goes whole hog into.

Rebuild 3.0 plays really heavily with the similarity between Shinji and his father for this reason.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jul 21, 2014

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

And so I'm curious why he gives a crap about her? Or at leas the pretends to give a crap about her? He's at least superficially nicer to her than anyone else.

Because she looks like Yui, and also because she's also sort of his daughter that he made in a lab. At one point there's a flashback where Yui and Gendo are talking potential names for children, and the choice they make is Shinji for a boy and Rei for a girl.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Because she's a clone of Yui and actually useful to him as more than a pilot for the Eva's, in EoE he intended to use the Rei who he lavished all the attention on as the catalyst to make him the 'center' of Instrumentality, but that Rei was dead and the current Rei chose Shinji instead.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

She's a clone of Yui? *looks up pic of Yui* Um....I'll take your word for it.

So Yui's soul is in Shinji's giant robot but her "body" is Rei. Wouldn't it make sense to have Rei pilot the Eva with her soul thing in it? I dunno, that might be getting into too much plot.

Yeah I did recall the scene about naming their daughter Rei (and the same thing is in Rebuild) but I never knew they were actually related. I guess I forgot when that was said in NGE.

Anyway, thanks for the answers guys. (maybe I should have heeded the advice I got elsewhere and watched the anime through twice 'cuz I missed a lot. Even more than I realized)

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jul 21, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

She's a clone of Yui?

Um....I'll take your word for it.

So Yui's soul is in Shinji's giant robot but her "body" is Rei. Wouldn't it make sense to have Rei pilot the Eva with her soul thing in it? I dunno, that might be getting into too much plot.

Yeah I did recall the scene about naming their daughter Rei (and the same thing is in Rebuild) but I never knew they were actually related. I guess I forgot when that was said in NGE.

Anyway, thanks for the answers guys.

I'm not sure why you need a "take your word for it" thing. Her design is almost exactly the same as an older Rei but with darker skin and not-blue hair. In Rebuild Yui's name is even changed to Yui Ayanami instead.

Evangelion-01 works better for Shinji and Yui is less likely to reject her son. We saw a Rei clone pilot Eva-01 (the Dummy plug) but Yui rejected it afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm not good at seeing similarities in designs or facial structure or anything like that. I go primarily by the more obvious and distinct features like you mentioned such as hair color and skin tone. Are Rei's eyes different too?

As for your edit to your last post, that's an interesting observation and astonishingly accurate now I think about it. Thinking of Gendo being like Shinji is just pretty odd but it makes sense.