Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Because of that thread I watched Diebuster and then I wanted to talk about it but it was sadly taken from us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Speaking of which I finally got around to Gunbuster. Why the hell is the supposedly Soviet pilot named Jung Freud?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's funny, what some people would call a "joke".

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

jung freud is anno's rap persona

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Because of that thread I watched Diebuster and then I wanted to talk about it but it was sadly taken from us.

Gibbis is why we can't have good things.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Bring back my god drat Kill la Kill thread.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Bring back my god drat Kill la Kill thread.

reverse gas chamber challenge waitin for u

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

glomkettle posted:

Speaking of which I finally got around to Gunbuster. Why the hell is the supposedly Soviet pilot named Jung Freud?

My assumption was that she was from East Germany, which was formally annexed by the Soviet Union at some point in the show's alternate history. There's probably official supplemental materials that contradict this, though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

P4G is sort of what I expected it to be, but still a little bit disappointing. I was hoping for some new riffs on the original events since it's NG+, but they haven't taken advantage of that at all. That said, it is really nice to see the Golden original stuff get animated, and I don't mind a little more Persona 4. (It needs to loving stop after this, though.) It's nothing special, though.

Nozaki-kun is the other show I've followed so far in this season, and I gotta say, it's pretty loving great. It doesn't even try to pretend it's shoujo and mercilessly rips every single stereotype of the genre apart. The best part is how each and every single one of the characters is an adorable dorky loser, that makes them endearing. :3: Seo and Kashima are my favorites. If you only watch one thing this season, I say pick this one.

I remember reading the first chapter of Love Stage a long while back, so I figured what the hell, I'll check it out. My feelings are...mixed. As a comedy show, it's not bad. The comedic timing is pretty tight, the character design is great, and I've laughed out loud a good few times. Unfortunately, it's still a stupid loving yaoi, and suffers not from being about male/male relationships, but from the typical ridiculous bullshit that's developed around the genre. It went down the shitter fast right around the middle of episode 3, and you can probably guess why. I'm forgiving, so I'll give it another episode because to be fair it can be funny as hell sometimes. We'll see if I stick with it.

I still need to watch Sabagebu, I've heard amazing things.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Pollyanna posted:

Episode three of Sabagebu was a marked improvement over the first two IMO.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

My assumption was that she was from East Germany, which was formally annexed by the Soviet Union at some point in the show's alternate history. There's probably official supplemental materials that contradict this, though.

According to the first google result for "Jung Freud Gunbuster" (which may or may not be official - I have made no attempt to check) she was born more specifically in "Soviet Russia" so I dunno. It doesn't bother me that much, and I get where the name comes from, it just seems kind of a bizarre decision to make her Russian.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Unfortunately, it's still a stupid loving yaoi, and suffers not from being about male/male relationships, but from the typical ridiculous bullshit that's developed around the genre. It went down the shitter fast right around the middle of episode 3, and you can probably guess why.

Oh, I bet something went down the shitter alright. ;-*

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Years ago there was a really in depth look at Gunbuster on a blog, here's the post on episode two and Jung Freud. It's kind of nsfw because of screen shots.

http://animekritik.wordpress.com/2011/11/27/imperialism-translation-gunbuster-episode-two-nsfw/

Read the rest too it's good stuff.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 23, 2014

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

If anno were a real russian sperg she would have been named Jung Freudovna Pavlov

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Guyver posted:

Years ago there was a really in depth look at Gunbuster on a blog, here's the post on episode two and Jung Freud. It's kind of nsfw because of screen shots.

http://animekritik.wordpress.com/2011/11/27/imperialism-translation-gunbuster-episode-two-nsfw/

Read the rest too it's good stuff.

A lot of it strikes me as overstated/wrong. In particular, calling psychoanalysis "the culmination of Western thought" implies some pretty odd ideas about intellectual history, and the suggestion that Noriko is less sexualized than Jung seems wrong to me.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

coathat posted:

Why was the Gainax/ Trigger thread gassed? Are we not allowed to like them anymore?

Because studio megathreads are dumb? The same reason a Trigger thread was gassed years ago before Kill la Kill was even out, the same reason why I'd gas a Sunrise or Production IG megathread? If you want to discuss a show, just make a thread for the show. There's been at least three different Gunbuster/Diebuster threads over the years, nothing stopping you from make another.

Trigger has literally produced only two shows, both of which have threads (one of which is closed because it was being used just for fanart spam which isn't discussion, and also the discussion itself was pretty awful). I'm pretty sure there's one or two Gainax show threads floating around at the moment as well. Gainax is basically a production farm studio at this point.

coathat
May 21, 2007

That's just silly. We should be allowed to post about studios if we want too.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Zorak posted:

Because studio megathreads are dumb? The same reason a Trigger thread was gassed years ago before Kill la Kill was even out, the same reason why I'd gas a Sunrise or Production IG megathread? If you want to discuss a show, just make a thread for the show. There's been at least three different Gunbuster/Diebuster threads over the years, nothing stopping you from make another.

Trigger has literally produced only two shows, both of which have threads (one of which is closed because it was being used just for fanart spam which isn't discussion, and also the discussion itself was pretty awful). I'm pretty sure there's one or two Gainax show threads floating around at the moment as well. Gainax is basically a production farm studio at this point.

It was silly of me to think that I could discuss things related to anime here.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
While I'm sure you may think turning this forum into eight studio-specific megathreads would be great, it's not going to happen. Actually, given that the gassed thread united several studios into one megathread, I suppose the end game there would be "an anime forum that's just one megathread"? I'm pretty sure that very thread exists elsewhere on Something Awful if you look for it.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Yeah I'm going to go look elsewhere on SA for a place to discuss anime because that totally makes sense.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Yeah I'm going to go look elsewhere on SA for a place to discuss anime because that totally makes sense.

That is totally what I said 100%

coathat
May 21, 2007

It only got like 20 posts in a day. It was hardly a threat to the forum. There's general shonen and seinen threads but they seem to coexist with series specific threads just fine.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i would like to make a thread. am i allowed?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

The people hammering the report button the second someone tries to call them on their awful derails are the ones dragging the KLK thread down. Closing the thread as a response isn't moderation, it's ineptitude.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

coathat posted:

It only got like 20 posts in a day. It was hardly a threat to the forum. There's general shonen and seinen threads but they seem to coexist with series specific threads just fine.

It's been the policy for ages and you're not exactly making a convincing argument that it should be changed. The shounen & seinen threads are actually kind of awful for the very reasons I mentioned but they actually serve a purpose of supporting ongoing discussion of weekly / monthly releases of stuff too small to keep on top with their release schedule. It's a fight to kick that stuff into its own thread when it's justified either.

If you want to discuss any particular show, again: make a thread? The hope is that there would be actual interesting discussion.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Maybe have a general industry thread if you want to talk about specific going-ons within anime studios? Other than that, I don't see what's wrong with sticking to show-specific threads.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Out of all the things that could possibly be discussed in a Gainax/Trigger thread, the only ones that merit any kind of lasting discussion and wouldn't attract lots of negative attention either already have a thread (Evangelion) or could fit in the Super Robot thread.

I wouldn't necessarily be against one existing, but there's not really any reason for it to, either, and it would probably attract a lot of shitposting because the most recent thing they did is a notorious pile of poo poo.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

i would like to make a thread. am i allowed?

You can but you may not be allowed to keep it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm not sure what you would do in a studio megathread except gush over old things they made, at which point you might as well throw that in the recommendation thread.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
post the prisma ilya thread viggynash

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Question related to the topic at hand: Would making a thread about an individual director be kosher?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
...why would a character deserve a thread more than a show? What character jumps across multiple shows?
Never mind, I'm bad at reading stuff.

Squidster fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 24, 2014

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Srice posted:

Question related to the topic at hand: Would making a thread about an individual director be kosher?

I'm pretty sure there was a thread for Satoshi Kon and maybe even some other directors, so I would assume yes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Srice posted:

I would think so; we've had Satoshi Kon threads for example and of course there are a couple of manga author threads.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Srice posted:

Sure. In that case the topic is actively on the creator and their works, discussing them as much as the works themselves. Even though we have an Evangelion thread, for example, a Hideaki Anno discussion thread would be fairly different in overall subject matter and the type of discussion that follows. Discussing the creator itself and common themes, so on.

Ideally the OP would actually be informative and a starting point for discussion though. I don't think there's value in such a thread if it's just pigeonholing.

Vagithug
Dec 27, 2012

by Ralp

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

that feeling when you are watching the beach episode of an anime and your mom walks by right as they do a close up shot of the main girl wearing her bikini

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

I couldn't watch the wrestling girl anime anymore because my parents thought I was watching JAVs.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cool. I've tossed around a few ideas for that in my head and I might just do that when I have the free time to put together an effortpost.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

coathat posted:

That's because there's more reason for a genre-specific thread to exist than a studio thread. People would wander into a seinen thread and ask for some recommendations or discuss a new chapter of something that doesn't have enough interest to warrant it's own full thread. If someone went into a Trigger thread for similar reasons, what would they say? "Which of these two shows should I watch, or would I be better off reading the OP of the show's respective threads and make a decision myself?".

I guess you could talk about a studio's quirks :shrug: but I doubt you could reach 20 pages of meaningful discussion specifically centered on SHAFT head-tilts and crazy backgrounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

HiveCommander posted:

I guess you could talk about a studio's quirks :shrug: but I doubt you could reach 20 pages of meaningful discussion specifically centered on SHAFT head-tilts and crazy backgrounds.

This sounds like a challenge.

• Locked thread