Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
I can't believe that episode just happened.

It was good, but in a very weird way. Glad Dandy saved the day through the power of dance and song.

Viva All!

That really seemed like an American episode though with the whole 90210 + High School Musical vibe + 1980's Teen Movie. Does Japan have anything comparable to that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Spectacle Rock posted:

This is more or less what I was thinking the entire time. It's been a while since an episode of Space Dandy caused me to just sit, stare, and go "what the gently caress is happening at me?" but here we are.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Spectacle Rock posted:

It was good, but in a very weird way. Glad Dandy saved the day through the power of dance and song.

Viva All!

That really seemed like an American episode though with the whole 90210 + High School Musical vibe + 1980's Teen Movie. Does Japan have anything comparable to that?

Don't forget a Sentinel from X-Men walking around and containing the Hulk. And E.T. in the background.

This was the greatest thing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Space Dandy and I share a lot in common; we both love rear end (animated or otherwise)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I have no idea what I just watched but I was smiling most of the time, and the animation was just downright stunning. Just what is their budget?!

edit: and that next episode preview! :aaaaa:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Spectacle Rock posted:

Viva All!

Kamen Rider Fourze is basically Japan going "Let's make The Breakfast Club, but one of them is a superhero."

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I was totally waiting for QT to sing. That was awesome.

Even if I liked the episode, I wasn't that nuts about the singing and dancing. I think I was expecting something closer to High School Musical, and I got something more like that dance they did at the end of Haruhi Suzumia.

... except for Dandy's booty song, that was some next level poo poo.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

LiquidRain posted:

I have no idea what I just watched but I was smiling most of the time, and the animation was just downright stunning. Just what is their budget?!

edit: and that next episode preview! :aaaaa:

I think that Watanabe just has to walk into the Japanese Ministry and stare at someone for a very long time and they give him all the money he wants.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That was a great episode. I am glad it didn't go all too over the board with the singing.

Dandy's booty song was the greatest.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Wow, I was not expecting that episode to be as good as it was, pleasantly surprised.

Next weeks episode though, I'm very confused as to what to expect.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
No scene where Dandy runs late with toast in mouth, worst episode ever.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

TwoPair posted:

No scene where Dandy runs late with toast in mouth, worst episode ever.

It's not a parody of that kind of high school thing

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Man, I didn't know what to expect going into this episode, and I got blindsided by it in the best way.

Has anyone else pointed out that the jocks looked like the Ambiguously Gay Duo?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Can someone just throw an even bigger pile of money at Watanabe and keep Space Dandy going for the rest of the year? The first season was great but the second season has just been ridiculous in all the best ways.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

madmac posted:

Can someone just throw an even bigger pile of money at Watanabe and keep Space Dandy going forever? The first season was great but the second season has just been ridiculous in all the best ways.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Raku posted:

It's not a parody of that kind of high school thing

I know

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Does anyone know who was in charge of this episode?

VV Cool, Thanks

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 28, 2014

aers
Feb 15, 2012

director/sb: Takaaki Wada script: Hayashi Mori animation director: Hiroyuki Aoyama

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

So when does the training montage song come out? :allears:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Oh my god, that episode was an uncontrollable smile and gigglefest all the way through. Absolutely fantastic animation, I think Watanabe really outdid himself with this series, if he keeps this up, this series is soon headed towards 'instant classic' territory.

I dont mean to sound hyperbolic, but this series is seriously one of the best case scenarios for anime and reaching a wide audience, I know the term 'Saving Anime' is thrown around, but this series really feels to me like that, it has the wonder, the passion, the action and the funny and awesome parts of all anime, while leaving out all the pretentious, creepy, or too obscure stuff anime tends to lose itself in.

The only other studio that approaches that territory nowadays is Trigger, but their problem is that while their cartoons are extremely amazing and awesome, they always shoot themselves in the foot (in terms of reaching a wide audience) with their nonsensically sexual character designs and innuendos that reach super creep territory which I cant recommend to non anime fans without staining my good name in their eyes.

thank you, Watanabe, keep this the gently caress up, and you've got something people will put in the same shelf as cowboy bebop.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 28, 2014

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I don't think anyone could ever deny the skill of Watanabe's overall supervision, the record speaks for itself, but for me the wonderful thing about Space Dandy is that, by his own intent and design, it literally goes above and beyond just him, more than in any other anime series.

What we have here is a wonderful anthology of industry talent, a puzzle where dozens of very capable individuals, including people like Shingo Natsume, Kimiko Ueno and all the rotating staff members for each episode, have come together and contributed to making Watanabe's vision for Space Dandy a reality.

wielder fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 28, 2014

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Anybody have any gifs of the dancing? God that animation was insane.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm just happy the dub actually used the word "weebs." I love you, Funimation.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
Has anyone made any avatar-sized gifs from this episode? I would love it as my new avatar. I've had this pony for like 3 years and I've been ready to get rid of it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

I think that Watanabe just has to walk into the Japanese Ministry Cartoon Network and stare at someone for a very long time and they give him all the money he wants.

Watanabe works typically don't do so hot in Japan, but enjoy a healthy popularity overseas.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Was the janitor a reference to anything? I feel bad that the guy pales in comparison to Mr. Hirata. :smith:

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

The sudden animation leap when Hanahana started singing reminded me a lot of the Monogatari series, what a great episode.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
There were some really bad timing problems with some of the shots in the first musical number, though. Lots of lingering on absolutely nothing happening with characters just seeming to wait for their next lyric.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Space Dandy is too good for this earth

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
This episode should have been titled Barakamon In Space.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
This episode was a very good followup to the last one, cute, calming and my god that soothing bass groove in the middle. so good.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
drat, that episode was pretty.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Now, thanks to two episodes with somewhat similar themes, I'm genuinely wondering if there's a life form somwehere in the universe that planet hops to procreate or something each time two planets coincide in the same way life on Earth experiences changes due to seasons.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Everything about this episode is so much fun, just completely refreshing.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Looking as good as this episode should be illegal

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
after having a rather busy/stressful week, the areally chill feel of that episode was exactly what I needed

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Dessel posted:

Now, thanks to two episodes with somewhat similar themes, I'm genuinely wondering if there's a life form somwehere in the universe that planet hops to procreate or something each time two planets coincide in the same way life on Earth experiences changes due to seasons.

Maybe.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2014/08/05-1/feature-bones-15th-anniversary-panel-at-animagic

quote:

He started off his section about Space Dandy with an excuse because the first episode was so "special" and asked the viewers not to be deterred by it, especially the female ones after hearing Dandy's introductory monologue. He and Shinichiro Watanabe wanted to create a show that would be entirely different than anything that is popular at the moment. They had met up regurlarly after Bebop, through which they had become good friends, and he told the audience how hard it was to restrain their ideas in order not to alienate the viewers with their "strangeness". But he was glad that they could go all-out with season 2 since he assumed that the viewers would be accustomed to it by then. He further noted that they actually encouraged their animators to work as freely as they want which resulted in some employees not even looking at the character sheets, leading to some heavy alterations in designs between different episodes, e.g. the length of a character's hair.

At the end of his presentation, he emphasized that he intends to work as closely with his animators as he has up until now. He also announced that BONES will release 3 adaptations as well as one original show in 2015 as well as expressing his wish to produce a Space Dandy movie should the TV series become a success.

During the Q&A part, he stressed how much he would love to produce more material for Soul Eater and Eureka Seven but that there are unfortunately no plans currently to do so, especially considering how hard it would be to write more stories featuring Renton & Eureka. He also explained that he could not produce anything related to The Vision of Escaflowne due to Sunrise possessing the rights to it, yet he is always happy when someone mentions it to him because of such an old production of him still being relevant today. He further showcased his great interest in simultaneous releases worldwide and would love if international releases like with Space Dandy could become more common in the future.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Aw, no more Soul Eater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Aw, no more Soul Eater.

Mostly good things aside from this, yeah. Still hoping it gets the Brotherhood treatment sometime down the line.

• Locked thread