Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Perigryn posted:

John Cena posted this on his twitter

My god...

I looked at this on my phone and didn't realize it was a video game until someone pointed it out. I'm used to screenshots of WWE games looking like THQuality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

In one of the other threads they're going over the old WCW Thunder game and its selection screen promos. Just imagine such stilted delivery delivered a hundred times over and addressed to your CAW. It'll be glorious.

I do wonder about the career mode, tho. It's a linear story mode in other 2K games, right? Lots of character customization and unlocking and the like, but little branching? I've never played one, but the flaws I'd read of in NBA2K14 (specifically, baffling coach AI and lack of emphasis on team play) won't be a big problem in a WWE game. It's gonna be at least a little silly if they keep kayfabe for all characters.

It'll be like a big budget SLAMMED! without all the smark. I'd actually just as soon assume that they'll give us the Daniel Bryan arc as it (unintentionally) played through WM30 - start your character up through NXT, debut on the main roster and gun for midcard belts, a shameful display on the WM undercard, then a gradual comeback as a fan favorite to headline WM and win big. Practically writes itself. But would they make a fictional character (ala ~*SUICIDE*~) to be your nemesis or would you go up against a real member of the roster? Assuming you're a heel, Cena would be the obvious choice. But what if you're face? Lesnar? Triple H?

Come to think of it, playing a Bryan surrogate against the authority in a 100% kayfabe world would be pretty drat fun.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Career mode exclusive to Xbox One / PS4. Seems kinda lovely.

I'm disappointed we aren't going to see a true WCW retrospective with Sing on-board. They couldn't make something that really does it justice, but with all the licensing and blacklist restrictions they put together some drat entertaining Attitude/Wrestlemania modes the past couple of years. Seems like this would have been the perfect year to do it, while they hammer out this new career mode behind the scenes. Especially if they're gimping the last-gen versions.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Really glad to see them abandoning the previous gen as quickly as possible given how long they gimped the 360/PS3 games to keep parity with the previous gen. Although on second thought they might just have been gimped because the devs are/were terrible. Anyway that Cena shot looks reallll nice considering how limited the current consoles are anyway. I wonder if they'll have 6 people playable at once plus two commentators with models that detailed.

There will be the unintended consequence of CAWs looking shittier than ever in comparison, though.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Any news of a PC version, or not yet? I'm at least somewhat hopefully since NBA's on PC.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The game's been officially announced so if a PC version hasn't been mentioned yet it's probably not in the cards.

And if the Visual Concepts VFX are all-out for career mode cutscenes, leaving them off last gen would make sense.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
I don't think leaving out MyCareer was a specific decision for WWE - NBA2k14 only had the newfangled MyCareer on current-gen as well. In that case, they did have it in the previous-gen systems, but only because it was a holdover from previous years - it went virtually untouched from 2k13 to 2k14 on those systems.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, we're not getting just two storylines in the Moments stuff, right? I could see WCW stuff or even ECW stuff getting thrown in there if they are gonna instead chronicle feuds from different eras.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If they ever get around to making a PC version--one can only hope for 2K16, I guess--I can throw my 360 in the dustbin.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Very interested in the crowd for this gen, hoping that they can finally get crowd signs in the tiered seating, that's one thing that always bugged me. There's so much to be wide eyed and optimistic for this year, sort of like coming out of prison after being locked away in THQ hell for however long :)

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

If they ever get around to making a PC version--one can only hope for 2K16, I guess--I can throw my 360 in the dustbin.

It would be nice, but I don't see it happening. Outside of soccer and basketball there are just no PC sports games.

Hell, they haven't even made a Madden game for PC since like 2009 or so.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Good times. [from reddit]

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

WWE 2K15 may be what gets me to pull the trigger on getting a PS4. I've known that I've wanted one and would eventually get one, just didn't know when. If the game looks as great as that screenshot implies and the gameplay is smooth, then I think that'll do it especially considering the fancier stuff will only be available on the next-gen consoles.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Wait, does this mean we can also customize our crowds with clothing of our CAWs?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Skunkrocker posted:

Wait, does this mean we can also customize our crowds with clothing of our CAWs?

I don't read it that way at all, just that the game can randomly generate individual members of the crowd from a pool of parts so they don't always look alike.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
No Ign stuff, but news from the front:

quote:

http://forums.2k.com/search.php?searchid=18830641 or
http://forums.2k.com/member.php?792801-Jared2K

Rivalries
here's a lot of content within the two rivalries that'll be available in WWE 2K15. Not only do they contain a lot of matches, but additional, high-quality video content as well. There's a few other little tricks that you'll learn about soon. The best way to think about it is the 2K Showcase is similar to the single-player content you've seen in previous years, only much higher quality.

Entrance
Entrances are definitely improved and are more accurate. Some of this comes from the superior visuals and lighting, and others simply from improved camera work. There are some new details under the hood in regards to how the camera can be manipulated by the developers. For example, during John Cena's entrance, when it sweeps over the crowd during the opening chords of his theme, it feels a bit more authentic. You get a sense that it's actually being operated by a crane and not just "its a video game so it moves how it wants." It's subtle but it helps it feel more true to life.
And since we've more or less revealed Randy Orton with his butt, here's another example. You know how during his entrance, there's that huge strobe light that turns on and fills the arena with each guitar riff? That looks utterly spectacular in WWE 2K15. With the new lighting engine Randy gains a natural back-light. It reflects off the ramp and the barricades, his shoulders and highlights his silhouette. It looks and feels just like it does in real life in a way that's very natural and, well.. not video-gamey. Needless to say, it is very, very cool.

I would say similar to in the past. We're lucky to have some of the Superstars MoCap their entrances (I was there for Cesaro, actually!), but others are performed by actors. The 2K motion capture facility itself is fantastic. As the actors are performing they get visual and audio queues. They have instant access to both video of the actual Superstars as well as their own performance. Everyone on the roster got new entrances so you'll see improvements there for sure.

Crowd
Much better, actually! If you've seen the crowds in NBA 2K15 then you'll have some idea of what to expect. The movement is more organic with everyone moving at different timings. If models are repeated they're at least wearing something totally different. Variations in genders and sizes. MORE SIGNS! It's not mega mindblowing, but man is it ever a step up.

Models
To clarify a couple of points:
- Yes, that is an actual, in-game screenshot using developer screenshot tools (just like all the 2K14 screenshots you see us post on Twitter/FB). It was taken during gameplay, so it's not during an entrance or cut-scene or anything like that. The lighting, the depth-of-field, the light reflecting off the ropes.. it's 100% legit in-game.
- The really cool thing? It gets better. While this screenshot is impressive, it also doesn't get into the insane details of the character models. The advantage of both facial and body scans really comes through when you start noticing details about these people that you ordinarily take for granted, from bone structure to pigment variation to moles.. It's super nuts and it'll be a lot of fun to dissect each coming screenshot for these types of details.
- To that end, one detail that stands out to me here is John's veins. They're always very clear during a match, especially that squiggly one that goes down his right arm. You can see those here and rendered accurately, where in the past its always just been little highlights here and there. It's crazy.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

By the way, it should have raised eyebrows when they said they were using resources/teams from NBA2k14. NBA2K14 is all about immersion and production quality.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Super vein technology!

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Now all I need to hear about is customisation options and all my worries will have been unfounded

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
To know what to expect, the commentary for NBA 2K14 is so good that if the work they've done on WWE 2K15's commentary makes it even half as good as NBA's, they're probably better off real-life firing Cole, Lawler, and JBL and integrating the commentary for WWE 2K15 into the actual live television shows.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Check out that vascularity!!!

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

triplexpac posted:

Sorry man too busy checking out all those sweet moles

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Sorry man too busy checking out all those sweet moles

I can't even pay attention to those with the lights flicking on and off.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Batista's noodley veins will haunt us forever in video game form

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Blasmeister posted:

Now all I need to hear about is customisation options and all my worries will have been unfounded
If it's more or less ripped straight from NBA2k14 then it's unlike CAW modes of games past. There's a point buy system for stat upgrades using credit earned via gameplay. You'll also probably be buying non-basic gear (ala No Mercy) and personality / style "badges" that give you advantages in certain circumstances. In NBA2k that meant things like "better shooting in traffic" or "better performance when team is underperforming". For WWE we would probably expect that to translate into your typical power / flyer / submission categories. So you'll be building a dude from the ground up.

Note that this system naturally lends itself to DLC for players without the time or patience to accrue points. It's also unclear whether there will be a Universe mode (which would be the season mode analogue, I guess) or whether we can make woman wrestlers.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 5, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

EDIT: How did I get beaten on this? ^^^^^

Did they figure out the technology to allow men and women to wrestle together again?

I'm being glib, but I really miss being able to use wrestling games to make DIY fighting games.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I've never found myself caring one iota what the crowd looks like. Hell, they could get rid of the crowd and I wouldn't notice.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Davros1 posted:

I've never found myself caring one iota what the crowd looks like. Hell, they could get rid of the crowd and I wouldn't notice.

I only care when I see like 10 identical people moving in the exact same way, it's too distracting.

If they can make a way that you don't notice the crowd at all, great. But when it's poorly done it draws your attention.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Potsticker posted:

EDIT: How did I get beaten on this? ^^^^^

Did they figure out the technology to allow men and women to wrestle together again?

I'm being glib, but I really miss being able to use wrestling games to make DIY fighting games.

gently caress yeah. Smackdown vs. Raw 2006 was great. Just made a bunch of my friends, or had them make themselves, and we'd play every time they came over. Except Garrett. Garrett was always the gayest pink and leather clad gay stereotype we could possibly make.

D Lambent
Jul 28, 2014
What is the best way to start with TEW? I love EWR and I'm really, really good at it.. but I have no idea where to begin with TEW 2013. Booking WWE is so loving daunting. I tried starting unemployed but I'm 2 months in and I haven't had a single bite on anywhere I applied and I'm basically just simming through weeks and reading news stories from HoH and Hollywood Wrestling that I don't give a poo poo about.

I just tried to start a game with a made-up company and I haven't really dove into that yet, but I may mess with it when I get home.

Best place to start? Anyone?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Book TNA. Their roster is much smaller and they have lots of good workers on it. You've only got to worry about a 2 hour show, a 1 hour show, and a few PPVs a year.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

If it's more or less ripped straight from NBA2k14 then it's unlike CAW modes of games past. There's a point buy system for stat upgrades using credit earned via gameplay. You'll also probably be buying non-basic gear (ala No Mercy) and personality / style "badges" that give you advantages in certain circumstances. In NBA2k that meant things like "better shooting in traffic" or "better performance when team is underperforming". For WWE we would probably expect that to translate into your typical power / flyer / submission categories. So you'll be building a dude from the ground up.

Note that this system naturally lends itself to DLC for players without the time or patience to accrue points. It's also unclear whether there will be a Universe mode (which would be the season mode analogue, I guess) or whether we can make woman wrestlers.

I think you're conflating "ability to customize how character bodies look and how CAWs animate" with "upgrade path within single-player mode." No clue if the latter is going to be like that or not, but certainly for customizing the raw character's attributes (height, weight, dimensions, etc) it should be an improvement.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Yeah, don't start with WWE. Whip up your own small-sized fed in the editor and get used to the rhythms of the game. Also, turn on partial multi-advance in the options and go into user preferences to mess with those settings, depending on whether or not you're willing to dive into the deep end with features like "perfect show theory".

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

D Lambent posted:

What is the best way to start with TEW? I love EWR and I'm really, really good at it.. but I have no idea where to begin with TEW 2013. Booking WWE is so loving daunting. I tried starting unemployed but I'm 2 months in and I haven't had a single bite on anywhere I applied and I'm basically just simming through weeks and reading news stories from HoH and Hollywood Wrestling that I don't give a poo poo about.

I just tried to start a game with a made-up company and I haven't really dove into that yet, but I may mess with it when I get home.

Best place to start? Anyone?

Yeah. It's a level of nerdom that I regret falling into. All in all it's a really unsatisfying and alienating hobby to have... It's a fun game. If you grew up playing poo poo like Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and you like wrestling, you'll like this game. I'm burnt for life on the game, but it's a good game nonetheless.

So that said...

The Cornellverse. gently caress around in the Cornellverse for a bit. It's fun. I preferred the Cornellverse 97 mod to the original in this 2013 iteration of TEW. The TEW 2013 original data is kinda deadened, like the real world of wrestling, where there was a lot of exciting competition in the past, but that's gone for good.

If you want a balanced, realistic real-world mod, the only one I've found for TEW 2013 is The Montreal Aftermath. It plays as an alternate universe version the night after Survivor Series 1997 to 2014. Most fun I've had playing TEW. The only other mod to come close in terms of fun and interest was Death of the Territories back in 2005.

*note. If you don't want AOL/Time Warner to go out of business, and you don't want Paul E to blow 80 percent of your money in 2001, you have to modify those events not to happen.

I'd avoid Capt. Charima's stuff. It is okay if you're new. But has gotten worse with time. It's really not very challenging, and in my opinion, the statistics are just game breaking.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

There's a 1996 mod too that's set the day after Hogan turns heel at Bash at the Beach '96 that's balanced and fun. I think it's by the same person, I haven't played the 1997 mod. The Captain Charisma mod is the one where Kurt Angle and Daniel Bryan have A* in every statistic right?

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

There's a 1996 mod too that's set the day after Hogan turns heel at Bash at the Beach '96 that's balanced and fun. I think it's by the same person, I haven't played the 1997 mod. The Captain Charisma mod is the one where Kurt Angle and Daniel Bryan have A* in every statistic right?

Yeah. I'm pretty sure it's the same Capt Charisma as this crabby rich kid who used to post on this forum back in the day. He was alright I guess, but his mod, not so much.

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 6, 2014

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Watcher games are fun just to see how people progress and how the game AI kind of works, I always get burnt out of booking anything but it's fun to see the numbers go up.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Apparently there won't be custom music on the PS4/XBONE versions due to an inability of those systems to rip music.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Sucks, but that one's not really on 2K.

I'd expect them to go the usual sports game route and license a few dozen songs, but I wouldn't expect any of them to be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Basic Chunnel posted:

Sucks, but that one's not really on 2K.

I'd expect them to go the usual sports game route and license a few dozen songs, but I wouldn't expect any of them to be good.
Sony keep promising to patch that in but who knows when that'll happen.

I'd be happy if 2K just included as many old themes as possible (that WWE owns the rights to).

• Locked thread