Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

uwaeve posted:

Don't worry, I made a mech and the only thing the thread commented on was the dick.

It's goons v0v

Thanks to this series of posts all I couldn't help but notice the pug dicks. Please tell me I wasn't the only one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Knormal posted:

Thanks to this series of posts all I couldn't help but notice the pug dicks. Please tell me I wasn't the only one.

Nope, didn't stare that long at the pug pictures to notice their dicks.

Also the Research Institute had better not be a limited run, out of the two them there should be more chances for kids to get their hands on the lady scientists and more chances for me, a wearer of jorts, to actually get the set as well.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

SynthOrange posted:

Ahahahah the skulls on his tattoos are lego-ized.

I've got the set that comes in, and the printing on the torso is really good. I also love that the skulls are like that, it's a really nice touch.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

The Rage posted:

Nope, didn't stare that long at the pug pictures to notice their dicks.

Also the Research Institute had better not be a limited run, out of the two them there should be more chances for kids to get their hands on the lady scientists and more chances for me, a wearer of jorts, to actually get the set as well.

But little Suzzie, there are only 10,000 limited edition good fun jobs for women. Why don't you go make coffee at the firehouse/police station/hospital?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The research institute has made me consider building a modular museum to house them. Maybe I could buy a Town Hall and convert it..

Graveyardstick
Nov 18, 2007

Are you too depressed to finish biting through that piece of toast?

SynthOrange posted:

Ahahahah the skulls on his tattoos are lego-ized.

Holy poo poo the detail on that is tiny. I need to get the GotG sets. I need to get the GotG Lego vidya game whenever the hell it comes out.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I just got the little cheap one, and it's great. 3 super-detailed minifigs with 2 great helmets and a bunch of sci-fi guns. I wasn't planning on buying the other two but it's got me seriously thinking.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I like Lego stuff, played with mine a shitload as a kid, but do not have the time/space/money/mental skills to properly get into it as a hobby at this point in my life. However, I am somewhat interested in getting some of the TMNT minifigs.

As a relative outsider to the ways and means of the reselling / trading community, how much cost or effort would it be for me to get like let's say about 10 figures I have my eyes roughly on? Some checking on bricklink and ebay seems to show me pretty wildly fluctuating prices from 1-5+ dollars each. Am I best off sniping on ebay, making a bricklink order, or buying sets myself and reselling the bricks? Does anyone in this thread have spare turtles or a particular desire for the bricks in the sets?

I'm thinking I want to get a set of the turtles, a Splinter, probably both Karai figures, a foot ninja and a Kraang or two? Maybe Leatherhead if I wanna get crazy.

Ideally I'd kind of like to get an extra set of the turtle bodies and the different Raphael heads to make a Mirage styled set of turtles too, but looking it up there's only three different Raphael heads that are not the movie / have weird scuba gear on the face so I dunno, maybe I'd have to custom paint one there.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

The_Doctor posted:

The research institute has made me consider building a modular museum to house them. Maybe I could buy a Town Hall and convert it..

My friend has been working on a modular museum for a while. It's basically Town Hall + City of Atlantis for the facade.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
So today I learnt that the crappy Wild West glider set from the movie which I bought solely for the minifig of Sheriff Not A Robot comes with a spare moustache. The world seems a brighter place now that a Wild West comedy moustache is slowly making the rounds of all the minifigures on my desk.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

I like Lego stuff, played with mine a shitload as a kid, but do not have the time/space/money/mental skills to properly get into it as a hobby at this point in my life. However, I am somewhat interested in getting some of the TMNT minifigs.

As a relative outsider to the ways and means of the reselling / trading community, how much cost or effort would it be for me to get like let's say about 10 figures I have my eyes roughly on? Some checking on bricklink and ebay seems to show me pretty wildly fluctuating prices from 1-5+ dollars each. Am I best off sniping on ebay, making a bricklink order, or buying sets myself and reselling the bricks? Does anyone in this thread have spare turtles or a particular desire for the bricks in the sets?

I'm thinking I want to get a set of the turtles, a Splinter, probably both Karai figures, a foot ninja and a Kraang or two? Maybe Leatherhead if I wanna get crazy.

Ideally I'd kind of like to get an extra set of the turtle bodies and the different Raphael heads to make a Mirage styled set of turtles too, but looking it up there's only three different Raphael heads that are not the movie / have weird scuba gear on the face so I dunno, maybe I'd have to custom paint one there.

At first I was going to say it's probably easiest to get them on ebay, but a search for 'lego tmnt minifig' brings up loads of cheap knockoffs. I'm not sure any of these are legit unless they specifically say a Lego set number and aren't $3 for 6 figures. Someone in China stole a very, very good set of TMNT molds.

Bricklink would be the most reliable way to get legit figs at the minimum of hassle for you, but the ~$3+ per fig price is just what minifigures are worth these days, no matter what type. What you wanna do is add the complete minifig (like http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?M=tnt008 ) to your Wanted List, then click the Wanted tab, then the By Shop tab and choose the list, and sort by Lots (Unique). You want to get as many of the complete figs or parts from as few stores as possible.

Buying sets and parting them out has the potential to overall be the cheapest for you, but you obviously have higher initial costs and the issues of posting, selling, and shipping the unwanted bricks. People buying minifig-less sets generally expect a substantial reduction in price, but it still might be cheaper than buying the minifigs individually.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the advice, I will look into it and decide if I choose to follow this potential path to madness or not!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

So today I learnt that the crappy Wild West glider set from the movie which I bought solely for the minifig of Sheriff Not A Robot comes with a spare moustache. The world seems a brighter place now that a Wild West comedy moustache is slowly making the rounds of all the minifigures on my desk.

Are you me? I gave mine to the bobby with the nightstick. He had a painted one but the real one was much nicer.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I never noticed the mustache in that set was a separate piece. Welp, time to go buy a $13 set for a pair of minifig mustaches.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

Knormal posted:

Welp, time to go buy a $13 set for a pair of minifig mustaches.

And a horse and a lego cactus!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Finally started building the Tower of Orthanc, and this Ent is fantastic. If Groot is half as good as this I might have to get him.

Plus he's the first thing with hands like this I've managed to make rude gestures with. Yes, I am very immature.

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank
Hoping someone can help me here, I am doing a little project for my kids, and need to trace out a Lego Benny, Wyldstyle and Emmitt to make some chairs. I've been looking online and can't find enough suitable pictures.

I was wondering if someone could take a picture of the back and front of Benny, Wyldstyle and Emmitt, preferably from the same angle, and wyldestyle with legs (not dress) and hair (no hood). Emmitt with his scared face and hair, and Benny with his helmet.

Thanks guys, I'll post some results when I finish the chairs for the kids, I think they will end up really neat looking.

Any size of photo is fine, as I will blow them up for tracing out on the wood, but being able to see details (ie emmitts name tag, Benny's faded space logo with scratches) would be good.

a photo like this

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Benny_(The_LEGO_Movie)

is perfect, but I can't find good pictures of the back, or with the faces/hairstyles that I would prefer to do them in.

Fozzie Bear fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 12, 2014

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

That sounds really interesting. Looking forward to seeing them once they're done. Don't have any pictures though, sorry.

Also today my pick-a-brick parts arrived, so here are some Plastic Robot Knockoff Turtles. :3: (and the proper one with some aftermarket adjustments) I'm thinking of messing around with a bunch of extra bits to differentiate them a bit more as well. I've got a big pot of robot arms that need using.

e: also this Santa's Workshop looks excellent. love those reindeer. :kimchi:
http://brickset.com/article/11995/santa-s-workshop-unveiled

e2: also also the Tumbler is 1800+ pieces, 18 bags, and 5 instruction manuals. I bet it takes ages to build.

McDragon fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 12, 2014

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

McDragon posted:

Finally started building the Tower of Orthanc, and this Ent is fantastic. If Groot is half as good as this I might have to get him.

Plus he's the first thing with hands like this I've managed to make rude gestures with. Yes, I am very immature.

Groot is not as cool. Much smaller and uses some hinged plates for elbows, but if you really like Guardians, he comes in the same set as Rocket so you're going to get them anyway probably.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Fozzie Bear posted:

Hoping someone can help me here, I am doing a little project for my kids, and need to trace out a Lego Benny, Wyldstyle and Emmitt to make some chairs. I've been looking online and can't find enough suitable pictures.

I was wondering if someone could take a picture of the back and front of Benny, Wyldstyle and Emmitt, preferably from the same angle, and wyldestyle with legs (not dress) and hair (no hood). Emmitt with his scared face and hair, and Benny with his helmet.

Thanks guys, I'll post some results when I finish the chairs for the kids, I think they will end up really neat looking.

Any size of photo is fine, as I will blow them up for tracing out on the wood, but being able to see details (ie emmitts name tag, Benny's faded space logo with scratches) would be good.

a photo like this

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Benny_(The_LEGO_Movie)

is perfect, but I can't find good pictures of the back, or with the faces/hairstyles that I would prefer to do them in.

This is awesome! I just got WyldStyle and Emmitt this past week, I'll get a photo up in a little over an hour.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

McDragon posted:

I feel like this might look a million times more like Treebeard with one of these mounted right below his mustache somehow.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

imgur was hateful on my phone, so this took a little longer then I would have liked.

Front:

Back:

Back with pieces removed for clarity:

Pattern on WyldStyle's sleeve:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Here's some Benny pics. Let me know if you need more or ones that are less blurry.

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank
thanks guys, those should work. The wife and kids are gone for a week starting Monday, so I'll start on the project then. hopefully I remember to actually take pictures of it as I am doing it, but like most of my woodworking projects, I will probably get into it and forget all about the progress shots. I'll definitely post something when it's finished.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man. I tried building something else using the Research Laboratory, and honestly? It's wonderful for the instruction-based set and what it stands for, but as a proper Lego set itself, it really sucks. It's next to impossible to build anything meaningful using the pieces provided outside of the base sets by virtue of there simply not being enough normal parts to begin with. Most everything is specialized, very very few(less than ten) actual regular plate pieces are included in the entire set, the rest are all special parts, panels, and minifig accessories or bones/horns.

Still, I managed to make something using all the pieces included, a fossil dig/cleaning/analysis lab thing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That use of the brick separator owns.

Also, fun trivia: the robot arm greebles on the exo-suit were apparently cast from a mold that dates back to classic space. That's why everyone has been having so many problems getting them to stick tightly. The pieces used on the prototypes came from a different mold and they held tightly.

Since then lego has retired those molds and made new ones.

On one hand it sucks that I got a batch of crappy pieces, but on the other it's kind of cool to have a direct link back to the 1980's.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

xzzy posted:

Also, fun trivia: the robot arm greebles on the exo-suit were apparently cast from a mold that dates back to classic space. That's why everyone has been having so many problems getting them to stick tightly. The pieces used on the prototypes came from a different mold and they held tightly.

Since then lego has retired those molds and made new ones.

On one hand it sucks that I got a batch of crappy pieces, but on the other it's kind of cool to have a direct link back to the 1980's.

Whoa. I wonder if I can get them to send me new ones? I've got 2 exosuits with this problem and I had the same problem with the ones in the Spaceshipx3.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lego has such a generous part replacement policy I'm sure you'd have no issues.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Finally orderd Spaceshipx3 the other week and put it together while catching up on my DVR this past Sunday. I loved most of the build. There area few things I'm "eh" about.

I would have preferred if the robot storage was the section under Unikitty, and the...uh...."ops console" or whatever you want to call it, was the section under the radar dish. Since I want my robots out and about flying around, it leaves a large "blank" area on the ship. And I can't see the cool stuff under Unikitty.

I also can't, for the life of me, figure out why the two "rudder" pieces that hold the engine pieces/laser cannons are angled forward. I built it that way, kept it for a bit, looked at it from all angles, and decided I really, really didn't like it, and flipped them around o be angled back as God intended. :colbert:

ow if only I could get my drat Exosuit anytime soon! :argh:

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

Now if only I could get my drat Exosuit anytime soon! :argh:

I had to call Lego about the Exosuit I ordered on August 1 today since it never showed up. Apparently there was a mistake at the warehouse and I never got my order filled even though it says shipped. They said the computer shows an expected date of August 25th(at the latest) for them to be back in stock. I also got free express shipping and a bunch of VIP points added to my account because of the mistake.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Is that one lady-type scientist using a science plunger?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Knormal posted:

It's a very advanced scientific tool!

HairSlut
Nov 29, 2011

With New Spinning Barrel™ Action, The Gatling Flamethrower is the hot new armament for Exo-Suit!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I saw something a bit surprising today. New Spongebob sets...from MegaBloks. I've seen Lego steal brands away from Mega before (Marvel), but I've never seen it go the other way. Especially since Lego has TMNT, which is a Nickelodeon property (at least, the TV show stuff) like Spongebob.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Knormal posted:

Use your imagination! It's a brush!

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Finished the Star Destroyer tonight and it is amazing. Still can't believe that handle works - you can pop a little latch out of the top and dangle the thing from one finger to swoosh it, and it actually supports the weight. A feat of Lego engineering if ever there was one.

While we're on the subject of mostly grey sets, did anyone else add little transparent red pieces to their Exosuit as lights? Also, Protip: if you have any of those fire pieces with the tiny stem at the bottom, they are the perfect size to turn the waist of the suit into DUAL FLAMETHROWERS.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Is that on the new Star Destroyer or the 3k piece behemoth from a few years ago?

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Guzwar posted:

Is that on the new Star Destroyer or the 3k piece behemoth from a few years ago?

The new one. Never had much interest in the Super Star Destroyer, too unwieldy to be an actual playset. :)

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
Does anyone know how these new Fusion sets are supposedly to work? For example this is the one I would be slightly interested in: http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Fusion-Create-Race-21206?fromListing=listing

Now it's pretty dang expensive $34.99 to build a race car (A car with 200 pieces is typically around $20 or so isn't it?). Now it says the App part is free (but of course you must have the fusion base plate to play)so I can't imagine why else the set would be so expensive, because I think the bricks inside are just regular bricks? Considering all my son does is build cars, we probably have all the pieces already besides the baseplate since we have practically every car set from the last 2 years.

From the listing it say:
FUSION products are compatible with the LEGO bricks in the same colors and sizes as those in this building set.

So I take it to mean, that these are just normal lego bricks, and only specific bricks in specific shapes and colors are programmed to work with the app? I really think my son would enjoy building and racing a car, but I just know all the bricks are going to be mixed in together with the rest of our legos, and I really don't like limiting his creativity to only bricks that come in this set since he loves building cars mixing and matching all different things. I can easily see him getting frustrated building a car with bricks and it not working because he didn't use specific bricks or wanted to use his own in a specific way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

bloodysabbath posted:

The new one. Never had much interest in the Super Star Destroyer, too unwieldy to be an actual playset. :)

Yeah, the SSD is only good for one thing: Replicating giant space octopus attacks: