Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Uznare posted:

Being worse than TV-N in a way that makes it seem like he isn't.

Also using a different name on every release so people don't realize it's him and avoid his retarded poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chromius
Aug 5, 2014

Stays shiny, even in milk.

Perigryn posted:

Edit: And now there's a pic of the suit

That's one good looking suit. Hope that the show is halfway decent though since the last main rider suit I really really liked was Kiva.

It will be amazing if he's basically Accel 2.0 and either turns into a motorcycle or docks into one.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Would anyone here want to buy my Japanese Gaia Memory Complete Selection 2 set (the one with all the T2 memories + extras)? I need to get some relatively quick money and hate dealing with ebay. I also have a small pile of Gokaiger mecha candy toys still in the boxes.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Hm. Well, I just finished watching it and it wasn't too terribly bad, barring a few typos. That said, I don't speak Japanese at all, so I can't tell how spot on he was or not.

I do wanna see it again though, so I guess I'll wait until Aesir does a treatment of it and compare/contrast.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Chromius posted:

That's one good looking suit. Hope that the show is halfway decent though since the last main rider suit I really really liked was Kiva.

It will be amazing if he's basically Accel 2.0 and either turns into a motorcycle or docks into one.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Trying to read about Decade because it seems like it keeps being relevant in the movies is confusing and frustrating.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Trying to read about Decade because it seems like it keeps being relevant in the movies is confusing and frustrating.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Just watch that trainwreck. There's not many episodes and Decade is the best rider.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

vkeios posted:

Just watch that trainwreck. There's not many episodes and Decade is the best rider.

It takes a lot of effort for me to be able to sit through something, so I only watch series' I can enjoy, and I don't think I'd enjoy Decade.

But I wish I could watch Taisen stuff without being confused as hell also. :argh:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

It takes a lot of effort for me to be able to sit through something, so I only watch series' I can enjoy, and I don't think I'd enjoy Decade.

But I wish I could watch Taisen stuff without being confused as hell also. :argh:

Watching Decade wouldn't help that.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Watching Decade wouldn't help that.

Totally Decade's fault!

Edit: which reminds me, Decade is my first Rider series that I watched. It made me curious about other rider shows and I've been watching ever since.

Dante Logos fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 18, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

No, seriously. Why was there a tiny Narutaki?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Potsticker posted:

No, seriously. Why was there a tiny Narutaki?

That's Decade's fault too.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Guys, Decade is totally going to destroy your world. Now I'm going to disappear in a giant silver pool of water.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Chromius posted:

I'm kind of hoping that his visor also doubles as headlights so that he can blind his enemies by just looking at them.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I've been watching dramas with toku actors and just started watching Watashi wa Kirai no Tante which has Haruto from Wizard in the goofy sidekick role. He's actually really entertaining, as is the rest of the cast. The writing is hilarious and the cast does an excellent job all around.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Haruto....act good? Amazing.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
It's almost like the script and the director have an impact on the performance an actor delivers.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
We knew Shunya Shiraishi had comic chops in Wizard. Every few episodes he'd do a little bit with a member of the secondary cast (or a donut) and it was actually really good.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Caphi posted:

We knew Shunya Shiraishi had comic chops in Wizard. Every few episodes he'd do a little bit with a member of the secondary cast (or a donut) and it was actually really good.

If Haruto was the Haruto from the Christmas episode when he kept cracking up looking at Rinko, or being an rear end to Beast, Wizard would have been a much better show.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The problem is that Wizard is about Wizard being pretty and correct and noble (except when he's in so much pain after one setback until a secondary character reminds him how great he is), so those were the only times anyone could sneak some personality in.

Though actually, I wonder how many of those moments are Haruto being either smug (plain sugar) or put-upon (mayonnaise).

Mr. Shiraishi still isn't to blame, I think. If anything, he heroically rolled with a bad script.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
The main issue with Wizard certainly wasn't the riders, it was the rest of the cast, the music, and the horribly boring plot.

Shame we can't get a fixed remake of Wizard that retroactively replaces it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Except for maybe Shunpei, I don't think Wizard's cast was that bad at all. And evem then it was his job to be an annoying archetype.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Wizard was sort of fun watching weekly until you realized the plot build up was non existent, the dramatic series reveal was telegraphed from miles away, and the two main characters never actually got developed as characters.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Wizard also had the best belt.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Elfgames posted:

Wizard also had the best belt.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of MAXIMUM DRIVE

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Solaris Knight posted:

The main issue with Wizard certainly wasn't the riders, it was the rest of the cast, the music, and the horribly boring plot.

Shame we can't get a fixed remake of Wizard that retroactively replaces it.

I thought the riders sucked, their actors may have had talent but it certainly wasn't used on screen for the most part with the characters themselves being similarly bland.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
The best belt is the Sengoku Driver, sorry fellas :colbert:

I recall being so underwhelmed by the White Wizard being some guy who never appeared before and was obviously the white wizard when he showed up, that I hosed off of Wizzles until the ending.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Some Numbers posted:

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of MAXIMUM DRIVE

That's a weird way to write TAJADORUUUU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

If you guys insist on using letters, I'll have you know it's spelled THREE. TWO. ONE.

This discussion is a good segue into something I was thinking about at work, though. What's everyone's favorite Belt and favorite Henshin? I'm sure we've covered it before in this thread or the last, I'm just curious because I was wondering myself what my favorites were when I realized it was highly difficult to choose the belt I liked most, referring to its design and functionality and such, without my opinion being colored by how it's used by the Rider to transform.

For example, I adore the WizarDriver for it's crazy sounds and hand-switching to cast spells. So it's a great belt. But Haruto just scans the Flame Ring and holds his hand out and he's Wizard. So he has a boring henshin. At least, in my opinion.

For me, my favorite belt will always be the Double Driver because Gaia Memories are cool as hell and the mix-and-match function leading to uniquely named and executed finishers for every combination is just the best. Personal favorite is Joker Grenade, even though it's only used once. Meanwhile, my favorite henshin has to be Fourze's, as seen above, for the awesome count down and switch-hitting and the cool pillar of light that reminds me of the healing rings from Phantasy Star Online.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

My favorite belt is the Faiz gear. I love its little Smart Brain carrying case and how Takumi takes it out and puts it all together before strapping it on. Every other Rider seems to have magical belts that CG around them or just materialize out of nowhere. But Takumi actually puts on his belt and for me, it makes it less of some magic thing that only the hero can/gets to use.

For sounds, GaiaMemories are hard to beat, but the DecaDriver does a good job. Picking a favorite is tough because they're both so good. I think the Memories have a bit of an edge due to how many different ones there are. They are so fun to say, too! Wizard gets an honorable mention for it's catchy shabadoobie jingle, and Faiz's sounds were great as well.

As for posing and actually transforming, OOOs is pretty tops. I love Takumi and Kusaka dialing in for their powers, but there's something about Eiji swiping down the medals and hitting his pose that I just adore. Fourze gets pretty close as well with his countdown and arm raised up towards space. And I love Kusaka's little flip he does with the Kaixa driver.

As for belt mechanisims, secondary Riders I think win out here, Zeronos especially, but Diend gets high marks as well. I especially love on Zeronos' belt how the track line motif changes letters based on what card gets used and the form it represents. Meteor also had a really interesting belt with it's crazy design and buttons. The Birth Driver was also pretty neat. On the flip side Delta and Beast both had really terrible belts. Delta spoke into the weird little handset thing and even though it kinda looked like a cool Championship Wrestling Belt, Beast really just had a big hunk of plastic with doors.

Blade, Ryuki, Kiva and Hibiki ( understandably with the final one) all are sort of in the back, though the "Advent" soundbite was especially memorable and the Ixa Knuckle I thought was kind of cool looking, though some of the actors seemed to have trouble slotting it in. Den-O's belt was kind of weak in that all the forms were decided by which button you pushed, which felt weird because theoretically Ryotaro should have been able to access his four basic forms from the get-go!

Gaim has probably the worst belt overall. Kouta strikes kind of a cool pose, but the design of the Sengoku Driver and accompanying lockseeds are all over the place. First off, it has a tiny yellow and white plastic chopping sword on it, and is otherwise a blank hunk of black plastic. The lockseeds themselves are fairly colorful, but why do the Helheim fruit turn into locks? And then the belt chops them instead of unlocking? Oh, and they have to be opened and closed first? With the chopping and juicing from the Genesis Diver, fruit is the overwhelming stronger theme, so why locks? Oh, and the Kiwami lockseed has sort of a key on it as well-- which fits into the Kachidoki lockseed both of which aren't really fruits anymore. Kachidoki especially is just a rectangular cube of orange. The sounds are okay, there's a couple of standout phrases like "Mister Dangerous," but overall it can't stand up to others which far surpass it.

Which show did I forget? Oh. Kabuto! Okay, the Zectors were pretty cool. With good sounds and simple, but neat mechanisms they don't top any categories, but don't manage to take the gold. It's okay, though because Kabuto pretty much has the best suits. It also has has Tendou, so you win some you lose some.

Finally, Accel gets props for having the most-- unique method of shouting "Henshin!" One that will be hard to top I think for a long while.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Any henshin, even Sentai, is automatically awesome if they have Decade's theme.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Potsticker posted:

Finally, Accel gets props for having the most-- unique method of shouting "Henshin!" One that will be hard to top I think for a long while.

HEN

SHIN
is starting to grow on me a little, mostly because Ryu being that angry is oddly entertaining, but drat if I still can't get over how terrible Accel itself looks.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shaezerus posted:

HEN

SHIN
is starting to grow on me a little, mostly because Ryu being that angry is oddly entertaining, but drat if I still can't get over how terrible Accel itself looks.

This, but for the originator of that style of Henshin- WITH BONE CRACKING FURY.

*HEN-SHIN* KAMEN RIDER! BLACK!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Potsticker posted:

Oh, and the Kiwami lockseed has sort of a key on it as well-- which fits into the Kachidoki lockseed both of which aren't really fruits anymore. Kachidoki especially is just a rectangular cube of orange. The sounds are okay, there's a couple of standout phrases like "Mister Dangerous," but overall it can't stand up to others which far surpass it.

The Kachidoki lockseed is a fruit box.

I haven't seen many henshins other then the ones in Kiva, Gaim, and the reboot movies, but I like the way the sounds for the lockseeds and belts play even when they aren't just standing there waiting for the transformation to finish.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

This discussion is a good segue into something I was thinking about at work, though. What's everyone's favorite Belt and favorite Henshin?

Hennnnnn-SHIN!

Definitely my favorite belt. Dude's a cyborg, and the belt looks like part of a cheesy sci-fi cyborg. Also my favorite henshin; I like how it looks like he can barely contain how angry he is (drat YOU, GORGOM!) before all the big transformation movements. Also, when those horns kick in you know it's GO TIME.

Zero_Tactility fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 19, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Shaezerus posted:

HEN

SHIN

It's so good that when you get to the double rider henshins Terui's long pause is just enough to fit in both Phillip and Shotaro saying it.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's so good that when you get to the double rider henshins Terui's long pause is just enough to fit in both Phillip and Shotaro saying it.

I hated Accel's "hen.........shin" basically until there was a double transformation and Phillip/Shotaro's fit in between, and it all made sense.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

point of return posted:

I hated Accel's "hen.........shin" basically until there was a double transformation and Phillip/Shotaro's fit in between, and it all made sense.

If you like that you'll love this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ccPhFQECqM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Fezz posted:

If you like that you'll love this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ccPhFQECqM

This is fuckin' great.

• Locked thread