Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

All Nines
Aug 12, 2011

Elves get all the nice things. Why can't I have a dinosaur?

regulargonzalez posted:

Please don't troll

Speaking as someone who just got to the New Testament and will also have finished reading the Bible in a few days (minus the Apocrypha, since it's just the KJV my dad gave me and it doesn't have those--I guess now I'll ask if those are worth reading, or at least which ones?), I agree with Fellwenner. Even the books that aren't referenced as often can be interesting, or are at least carried well by a consistently entrancing prose style. Also anything involving visions is pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Sir John Feelgood posted:

What books of the Bible are most essential?

I'm going to read the Inferno and Paradise Lost and I'd like to go in having read some of the Bible.

I'm thinking I'll read the first four books of the OT and the Gospels. What else, though?

For Dante, you might also want to read up on some classical Roman and Greek mythology/poetry.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

I was going to read the King James Version, the David Norton version with paragraphs. I hear it's got some editing blunders in it (like inappropriately getting rid of thines), but overall it sounds good. The Penguin Classics version of the Bible is D. Norton's KJV. Haven't bought it yet, so if you have a better suggestion I'll hear it. The two-volume Norton Critical Edition of the KJV has been highly praised, but I'm hesitant. I'm fearing tracing-thin paper and footnotes taking up three quarters of the page.

Also, I will eventually get around to reading the rest. I just wanted to know what were the Greatest Hits so I can get more out of some of the Medieval and Renaissance stuff I'm about to read.

xcheopis posted:

For Dante, you might also want to read up on some classical Roman and Greek mythology/poetry.
Which stuff in particular?

Sir John Feelgood fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 16, 2014

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Can anybody recommend any good works of nonfiction, in English, dealing with the Mexican drug wars/cartels? Bonus points if it's historical in nature. I tried reading El Narco and didn't care for its style.

Shitshow fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 17, 2014

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Shitshow posted:

Can anybody recommend any good works of nonfiction, in English, dealing with the Mexican drug wars/cartels? Bonus points if it's historical in nature. I tried reading El Narco and didn't care for its style.

Narcoland by Annabel Herrera. It's really detailed and starts rather early in the last century, although the main part covers the rise of El Chapo. I also recommend you look up Charles Bowden's The Sicario: A Juarez hit man speaks. It's a feature available online for free, one of the most chilling pieces of nonfiction I've ever read.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Maybe not necessarily in line with what you need, but when available, go with Fagles translations for Classics. His Iliad is the best by a lot (though Lombardo isn't bad).

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

13Pandora13 posted:

Maybe not necessarily in line with what you need, but when available, go with Fagles translations for Classics. His Iliad is the best by a lot (though Lombardo isn't bad).

I actually think that for the Iliad and the Oddysey, Lattimore's translations are more accessible than Fagles' but I think that's just down to preference, both are quite highly regarded.

Shirtless Rob
Feb 9, 2014

by Ralp
edit: Didn't notice you tried El Narco and didn't like it.

Shirtless Rob fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 18, 2014

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Octavia E. Butler's Wild Seed has given me a taste for stories of immortal superhumans living through various eras of history. Are there any other good books along those lines, that don't involve vampires?

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Time Cowboy posted:

Octavia E. Butler's Wild Seed has given me a taste for stories of immortal superhumans living through various eras of history. Are there any other good books along those lines, that don't involve vampires?

You might want to try Kage Baker's Company series. No vampires, just immortal cyborgs living through all of recorded history. The first one in the series is In the Garden of Iden.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Time Cowboy posted:

I could swear I've recommended this before in the thread, but Ben Bova's Orion series. It's probably a lot pulpier than Butler, though.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

HollowClown posted:

You might want to try Kage Baker's Company series. No vampires, just immortal cyborgs living through all of recorded history. The first one in the series is In the Garden of Iden.

Is it appreciably better than Baker's The Anvil of the World? I've rarely been so disappointed with a book (at least one I bothered to finish). It went from promising fantasy to discount bin Terry Pratchett in barely a hundred pages.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

I'm mostly joking. You don't have to do any reading up at all, since any decent translation will have excellent footnotes. Dante packs the poem with all sorts of medieval Catholic beliefs, allegories, and references to various aspects of Roman and Greek myth and history. You don't really need to be any more conversant with the Bible then you do the Aeneid.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Time Cowboy posted:

Is it appreciably better than Baker's The Anvil of the World? I've rarely been so disappointed with a book (at least one I bothered to finish). It went from promising fantasy to discount bin Terry Pratchett in barely a hundred pages.

I'd suggest reading the first book, and not judging Baker by Anvil of the World. That book was truly terrible.

Overall, I thought the Company series started off quite strong, but started getting significantly weaker after about book 4 (The Graveyard Game), with the exception of the short story collections. Generally speaking, I quite liked the concept of the series and Baker's writing style; she has some interesting takes on living through history with access to modern sensibilities. Towards the end of the series it was focusing more on a love story that felt like a generic pastiche of cyberpunk and Mansfield Park. If you're willing to put the series down when it starts getting unwieldly, the first few books are probably worth reading.

Baker doesn't write as well as Octavia Butler, but then again, who does?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
My girlfriend loves Fifty Shades of Gray. It seems to be a pretty awful book and even the people who are into the scene depicted in it bad mouth it. Are there any good recommendations in the genre? I'm looking to gift it something that's actually considered "good" by the people who like the genre, but I don't even know where to start looking.

Also, anything in the political fantasy genre besides G.R.R.M?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Dump her.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Azran posted:

My girlfriend loves Fifty Shades of Gray. It seems to be a pretty awful book and even the people who are into the scene depicted in it bad mouth it. Are there any good recommendations in the genre? I'm looking to gift it something that's actually considered "good" by the people who like the genre, but I don't even know where to start looking.

There's that Jaqueline Carey Kushiel fantasy series that's supposed to have S&M stuff in it. I haven't read it but I've seen it get positive reviews and I've read a different series of hers that was good.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Azran posted:

The Man Who Was Thursday, A NIghtmare, by G K CHESTERTON might just be what you are looking for on both counts.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

savinhill posted:

There's that Jaqueline Carey Kushiel fantasy series that's supposed to have S&M stuff in it. I haven't read it but I've seen it get positive reviews and I've read a different series of hers that was good.

It's very love-it-or-hate-it. Very politically dense, but if sex in books is too prurient for one's tastes they'll despise it. I'm like a half step from being asexual and it still didn't bother me, so v:shobon:v

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
On a similar note, any good books like ASOIAF set in the 20th/21st century or equivalent? Someone recommended American Tabloid, which I enjoyed, but I couldn't get into the sequel.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Azran posted:

The absolute gold standard author for erotica written for women is Anais Nin, the books Little Birds and Delta of Venus should interest your girlfriend.

Pork Pie Hat fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Aug 21, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Pork Pie Hat posted:

The absolute gold standard author for erotica written for women is Anais Nin, the books Little Birds and Delta of Venus should interest your girlfriend.

There's also My Secret Garden. http://www.amazon.com/My-Secret-Garden-Nancy-Friday/dp/1416567011

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

For a horrible five seconds I was sure you were talking about this book, and I was about to call a halt to the whole conversation.

Dr Rotcod
May 20, 2004
I see the consistently reoccurring disappointment and failure you will continue to cause yourselves.
Looking for something with these traits: Grounded science. Moody, atmospheric, other worldly. Weaves a variety of philosophical themes into the narrative. Some political allegory. At least one witty, likable central character. High stakes.

Relevant movies/TV I enjoy for reference: No Country For Old Men, Total Recall (1990), The Wire, Aeon Flux, and the first four episodes of True Detective.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dr Rotcod posted:

Looking for something with these traits: Grounded science. Moody, atmospheric, other worldly. Weaves a variety of philosophical themes into the narrative. Some political allegory. At least one witty, likable central character. High stakes.

Relevant movies/TV I enjoy for reference: No Country For Old Men, Total Recall (1990), The Wire, Aeon Flux, and the first four episodes of True Detective.

How about Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick? (aka "the Blade Runner book").

Dr Rotcod
May 20, 2004
I see the consistently reoccurring disappointment and failure you will continue to cause yourselves.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How about Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick? (aka "the Blade Runner book").

Was looking for something more obscure instead of the obvious Philip K. Dick, Cormac McCarthy and Nic Pizzolatto creations as I mentioned in my TV/Movies influences. Maybe an author who is a cross between those styles and touches on the themes I mentioned.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Ok. Hrm. I have to make the obvious recommendations first because the big names are generally big names for a reason. I mean, if you haven't read Electric Sheep, you really should start there.

Maybe Gun, with Occasional Music but Johnathan Lethem. There's William Gibson of course but he might be too mainstream for you.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
I have a coworker who for a going away present I bought a Kindle. This coworker is an older lady (60 something) and her favorite genre is True Crime, and her favorite True Crime author is Anne Rule.

I know nothing about the genre, but I stuffed the kindle with every Ann Rule book I could find, and just wanted to throw some more stuff on there for variety. So any Ann Rule/True Crime fans out there, what do you think I should put on there for her? I have no idea which stuff she has read, so I was hoping by just shoving a lot on there I'd get lucky with something she likes.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Suggestions for books about the future being hosed up, but cool dudes set out to make it less hosed up through the power of their meaty paws?

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Obese Janissary posted:

I have a coworker who for a going away present I bought a Kindle. This coworker is an older lady (60 something) and her favorite genre is True Crime, and her favorite True Crime author is Anne Rule.

I know nothing about the genre, but I stuffed the kindle with every Ann Rule book I could find, and just wanted to throw some more stuff on there for variety. So any Ann Rule/True Crime fans out there, what do you think I should put on there for her? I have no idea which stuff she has read, so I was hoping by just shoving a lot on there I'd get lucky with something she likes.

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

noirstronaut posted:

Suggestions for books about the future being hosed up, but cool dudes set out to make it less hosed up through the power of their meaty paws?
Foundation by Isaac Asimov and A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller Jr. are good examples of this.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

frenchnewwave posted:

Cool, I have never met another person who's read this book. Have you read Filth (or pretty much anything) by Irvine Welsh? Or anything by Bret Easton Ellis?

From forever ago, but yeah, Irvine Welsh was my jam a few years ago and I've pretty much plowed through everything of his. I only picked up Morvern Callar because I read something where he was praising it. I gave Bret Easton Ellis a shot but I sort of gave up in the middle of American Psycho as I think maybe the point went over my head. It seemed shocking for the sake of being shocking, but I didn't finish it so I could be wrong. I wouldn't mind giving one of his books another shot.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I recently read Fiasco by Stanislaw Lem and thought it was absolute torture to read. Is it pretty indicative of Lem's writing style, or is there something else of his worth checking out?

Also, did anyone read Godbody by Theodore Sturgeon and can give their impressions, especially compared to his other stuff?

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I tried reading The Ancestor's Tale recently, but couldn't get past all the Dawkins smugness. I'm really interested in the subject matter though, so I was hoping there is a similar book (or books) that I could enjoy without all the r/atheism Dawkins bollocks. Can anyone suggest anything?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I recently read Fiasco by Stanislaw Lem and thought it was absolute torture to read. Is it pretty indicative of Lem's writing style, or is there something else of his worth checking out?

My favorite Lem books are his robot fairy tales from Mortal Engines and The Cyberiad -- I think they're more fun, and certainly less bleak, than some of his other work.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Looking for something along the lines of Harry Potter, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, and T.H. White Once and Future King. Something where magic is fun and imaginative, and based off folk and fairy tales. Help?

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Aug 29, 2014

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

DirtyRobot posted:

Looking for something along the lines of Harry Potter, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, and T.H. White Once and Future King. Something where magic is fun and imaginative, and based off folk and fairy tales. Help?
You should check out The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Also Lud in the Mist by Hope Mirrlees.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I'd throw in John Bellairs' The Face in the Frost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harpomarxist
Oct 7, 2007

Useless twat opinions from everybody's favorite British coffee shop revolutionary!
You know what is sometimes pretty great. Films. That's right, films is pretty great. Especaially when you want to retain that slight edge of superiority despite both lit and film being a dying medium. I mean we aspire to your Delillo's with vague imitations (Hal Hartley, Cronenberg, whichever filmmaker is working with P Auster nowadays for his ultra fragile epic) and drat son, JG Ballard, his themes shadowed by Kiyoshi Kurosawa, et al.

I'd love to hear your opinions on film, maybe what you think is a good adaptation and why?

harpomarxist fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 30, 2014