Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Finished reading Necropolis again, its so good. Does anyone know why Abnett didn't do the fluff chapters again as a neat way to wrap it up? The chapter with the artist commemorating the Tanith gave a great outside view of them and its my Gaunt's Ghosts chapter ever and its so sad not to get them for the other books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I believe that's a short story that was originally published separately.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
In Memoriam is a separate short story that's included in the omnibus. I haven't gotten there yet (almost done with First and Only) but the table of contents/back of the book mentions it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Oh I see, I have only ever had the omnibus.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma
Are there any HH books that are required reading before you can read Mechanicum? I want to read Mechanicum but I don't want to spoil too much.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lovable Luciferian posted:

Are there any HH books that are required reading before you can read Mechanicum? I want to read Mechanicum but I don't want to spoil too much.

Nope, Mechanicum is pretty much a standalone story.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Cythereal posted:

Nope, Mechanicum is pretty much a standalone story.

Also proof McNiel does his best, most humanizing work with the Mechanicu(m/s).

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Mechanicum was pretty sad. The Imperium came extremely close to making a functioning Acashic reader (basically being able to access all knowledge ever) but the heresy had to hit and nearly all of Mars's infrastructure and technology was either destroyed or corrupted.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The C'Tan stuff was also extremely creepy and interesting. Pity a new Codex subsequently retconned so much about them.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Black library wants $16 for a loving ebook? How the gently caress do they justify this?

Can anyone tell me anything about the Sanctus Reach books? I really haven't read enough about orks.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 17, 2014

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

amuayse posted:

Mechanicum was pretty sad. The Imperium came extremely close to making a functioning Acashic reader (basically being able to access all knowledge ever) but the heresy had to hit and nearly all of Mars's infrastructure and technology was either destroyed or corrupted.

Mars also had lots of actual forward thinking engineers and scientists as well, who basically only paid lip-service to the concept of a machine god and actually understood how their machines worked and were inventing new things. Then chaos gave the entire planet a computer virus and all the forward thinkers got themselves killed trying to defend the Imperium.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
I just finished reading Battle of the Fang which was actually pretty good, its great to have a new writer like Wraight come in and not be terrible. Magnus is a petty dicklord in that book and when he breaks the statue of lemen russ over his knee you can't help but roll your eyes at how sad he's become.

In the latest Space Wolf Codex it has the Battle of the Fang entry as Bjorn defeating Magnus, but in the book this patently doesn't happen. Is this an example of Codex fluff being legends and myths / propaganda?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's GW being GW. How would they sell more Bjorns if he didn't beat up a Primarch in the codex?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

vigorous sodomy posted:

Black library wants $16 for a loving ebook? How the gently caress do they justify this?

Can anyone tell me anything about the Sanctus Reach books? I really haven't read enough about orks.

You should still be able to download free excerpts from them. The one from the Ork perspective is one of the most dire pieces of fiction I've attempted to get through. I couldn't finish the free chapter they gave out. It reads like it was written by someone with a 4th grade understanding of English, and I don't mean the Orky speak. It's just badly written.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

maev posted:

In the latest Space Wolf Codex it has the Battle of the Fang entry as Bjorn defeating Magnus, but in the book this patently doesn't happen. Is this an example of Codex fluff being legends and myths / propaganda?

Towards the end of Battle of the Fang, when they're lowering Bjorn back into hibernation, the new Great Wolf says something about how everybody will remember it as Bjorn's victory even though that was not the case.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion

Khizan posted:

Towards the end of Battle of the Fang, when they're lowering Bjorn back into hibernation, the new Great Wolf says something about how everybody will remember it as Bjorn's victory even though that was not the case.

Thats not to say that Bjorn doesn't kick Magnus in his ethereal oval office but he doesn't like curb stomp him back into the warp like legend would dictate.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I can't be the only one who thought the Night Lords trilogy was kinda..lovely.

I spent the whole of three books hoping I was missing something and there was any possible reason to be rooting for Talos 'Killfuck Soulshitter' and his band of one note goons.

I think reading Gaunts Ghosts and Eisenhorn before any of the other BL stuff may have been a mistake.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

EyeRChris posted:

Thats not to say that Bjorn doesn't kick Magnus in his ethereal oval office but he doesn't like curb stomp him back into the warp like legend would dictate.

Yeah, Bjorn is great. Kicks Magnus in the balls then survives being punted off a mountain.
Battle of the Fang is a good book.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

EyeRChris posted:

How does an ancient dreadnought best a demon primarch?

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Because before that Magnus takes a kicking from some terminators and about three times goes emo and has to "remember" he's a primarch. He then gets exploded by a thunder hawk and shot multiple times from Bjorns plasma cannon. Bjorn gets a few hits in hand to hand then gets thrown off the fang.

Basically Magnus is both wounded and emo.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

vigorous sodomy posted:

How does an ancient dreadnought best a demon primarch?

Furiously.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

maev posted:

Because before that Magnus takes a kicking from some terminators and about three times goes emo and has to "remember" he's a primarch. He then gets exploded by a thunder hawk and shot multiple times from Bjorns plasma cannon. Bjorn gets a few hits in hand to hand then gets thrown off the fang.

Basically Magnus is both wounded and emo.

And 2 Wolf Lords as well. Magnus took one hell of a beating

Also I really loved the character of the White Wolf in that book. He went out with no regrets.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
But in Betrayer Angron literally prevents a *titan* from squishing Lorgar by *holding it's foot up,* and he didn't have any demonic possession to help him out. Magnus at this point should be able to think of a rift opening up under the fang and having it fall into the warp.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 18, 2014

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I don't think you understand just how angry Angron was at that moment.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I don't think you understand just how angry Angron was at that moment.

He literally had god like power.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Spuckuk posted:

I spent the whole of three books hoping I was missing something and there was any possible reason to be rooting for Talos 'Killfuck Soulshitter' and his band of one note goons.

I think reading Gaunts Ghosts and Eisenhorn before any of the other BL stuff may have been a mistake.

The Night Lords really depends on one thing and that is empathizing with Talos and his band of misfits.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
Also consider that before Bjorn showed up, Magnus was being whittled down by wave after wave of top-tier Wolves (most of which died immediately after delivering a major hit) while in the confines of an ancient fortress filled with anti-warp wards embedded into practically every square inch of the place, with the force of the Fenrisian world spirit and whatnot raging away all over the fang, while Magnus was kinda existing in two places at once and just getting his power consolidated into his incarnation on Fenris and so on and so on.

I'm a big Magnus fanboy but I feel it was done pretty well.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

And most important of all, Magnus did what he came to do. Ruin any chance of Space Wolves spreading across the galaxy with their descendant chapters.

Sure he was hurt but it took at lot of resources and still he succeeded

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Spuckuk posted:

I ~generally don't like ADB as much as most people here (I don't think he is nearly as good as Abnett yet, much less better) but I thought it was alright. Certainly better than most Chaos-centric media

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Not a single hit landed on Magnus truly wounded him, as well... except for possibly his pride. Magnus was literally projecting from the Eye of Terror and he STILL was too much for the Fenrisian equivalent of the All-Stars.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Does Magnus at least take a moment during the aftermath to survey the battlefield while on Fenris and proclaim that Revenge is indeed a dish best served cold?*

*Because Fenris is cold, you see. Like, Hoth Cold but times 100.

Also this reminds me I need to finish Prospero Burns and get around to reading Battle of the Fang.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
So that weird archeologist guy attached the Wolves...What exactly was he? Is he now a space marine?

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children

PupsOfWar posted:

I ~generally don't like ADB as much as most people here (I don't think he is nearly as good as Abnett yet, much less better) but I thought it was alright. Certainly better than most Chaos-centric media

His NL trilogy was really important in how it gave a lot more characterization to the motives of Chaos Marines and humanizes them well with interesting characters. ADB's work is usually the most 'adult' in wh40k fiction which can be a breath of fresh air which gets in danger of manchildren comic book characters.

He does have a fair bit of room to improve though. He often over-steps the mark on what humanization means. Talos, Argel Tal, Hyperion and so on all have a terrible knack of being extremely pedantic or just plain whiny. His female characters tend to always be very heavy handed in how they 'relate' to Astartes and the undercurrent of sexual tension in most of their interactions comes across sometimes like teenage fan fiction.

He is still one of the best writers BL has and the direction he takes his books is really positive for the whole setting, he aims very high with what he tries to do with spacemen and while it sometimes falls short its a hell of a lot better than some writers out there.

quote:

So that weird archeologist guy attached the Wolves...What exactly was he? Is he now a space marine?

He gets put with the Dreadnaughts beneath the fang to be woken up occasionally to tell future generations of the Vlka Fenryka stories of their past - I think.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

amuayse posted:

He's now a frozen story teller/historian/skald that is defrosted whenever necessary to tell tales of the past

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
If I remember correctly, Wraight goes out of his way to explain that the Magnus attacking The Fang was essentially a projection of the 'real' Magnus, who exists in the warp itself, and that he was weakened for every moment spent manifesting in reality. Them's the breaks of being a daemon prince.

I for one find the Horus Heresy's depiction of the Primarchs kind of dumb. They're supposed to be the perfect generals, but having them also be able to punch an Avatar of Khaine to death or blow up titans with mind powers doesn't add much to the drama.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 18, 2014

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Not exactly books but with a few decent mods for Dawn of War 2 I had a little 'burning of prospero' game with all the appropriate heresy armours. [Nerd alert]

maev fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 18, 2014

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

boredsatellite posted:

He's now a frozen story teller/historian/skald that is defrosted whenever necessary to tell tales of the past

He's a mortal Bjorn. It'd be nice if they'd just let Bjorn sleep and stop waking him up all the time to tell stories.

maev posted:

Not exactly books but with a few decent mods for Dawn of War 2 I had a little 'burning of prospero' game with all the appropriate heresy armours. [Nerd alert]

Why'd the Tzeenchen sorcerer say sacrifice their souls to Slanesh in that game?

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 18, 2014

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
I think that's a specific voice reaction to facing elder, Dow is cool like that

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I for one find the Horus Heresy's depiction of the Primarchs kind of dumb. They're supposed to be the perfect generals, but having them also be able to punch an Avatar of Khaine to death or blow up titans with mind powers doesn't add much to the drama.

In both circumstances weren't both Primarchs influenced and assisted by the ruinous powers of Chaos?

Take a genetic super human demigod and add a dash of warp powers and why the hell wouldn't they be able to punt an Avatar or smash the face of a Warhound Titan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

maev posted:

His NL trilogy was really important in how it gave a lot more characterization to the motives of Chaos Marines and humanizes them well with interesting characters. ADB's work is usually the most 'adult' in wh40k fiction which can be a breath of fresh air which gets in danger of manchildren comic book characters.

He does have a fair bit of room to improve though. He often over-steps the mark on what humanization means. Talos, Argel Tal, Hyperion and so on all have a terrible knack of being extremely pedantic or just plain whiny. His female characters tend to always be very heavy handed in how they 'relate' to Astartes and the undercurrent of sexual tension in most of their interactions comes across sometimes like teenage fan fiction.

He is still one of the best writers BL has and the direction he takes his books is really positive for the whole setting, he aims very high with what he tries to do with spacemen and while it sometimes falls short its a hell of a lot better than some writers out there.

Having just read The Emperor's Gift and Helsreach back to back I agree with pretty much all of this.

To add to it a little I'd also say that he doesn't really experiment with the setting or try to spin things in a semi-new way like Abnett does. Everything he writes is absolutely by the book without much...I hesitate to say 'imagination', since he clearly doesn't lack for that, but I really do get the impression that he's playing it safe most of the time and not trying to push 40k's boundaries to any great degree. Of course, I've only read two books by him so perhaps I'm not really qualified to judge.