Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

chrisoya posted:

The AI will be able to reconstruct you based on the frozen bits and any evidence if your existence that remains when it goes online.

Entropy is not a concern, because it will find a way to defeat entropy - this has to happen, because the laws of thermodynamics have to be wrong in a way we're just not smart enough to see yet, because Yudkowsky's fear of death extends to rejecting the heat death of the universe.

It is really amazingly ironic that a man who rejects the idea of infinity as a mathematical concept wants to live literally forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

potatocubed posted:

I'm sure I read somewhere in one of his treatises that because we can recover data from a crashed hard drive, one day we will be able to recover the data from a crash-frozen brain.

:monocle: Yeah. Because the human brain, much like a hard-drive, consists of a storage medium neatly separated from the read-write mechanism and the logical units. :pseudo:

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Patrick Spens posted:

That's unfair, trepanation was surgery, and likely helped with recovery from traumatic brain injury. It was crude, and likely failed often, but it did have some uses.

Good point, I'm sorry. Better example: Compare modern pharmaceutical medicine to alchemical medicine, where you could get healing draughts full of lead, arsenic, and cinnabar!

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Swan Oat posted:

Yudkowski began his monthlong vacation in the wilderness of North Carolina to finish up his stupid fanfiction yesterday.

Greater than 50% probability! everyone update your priors.

I was trying to find the chapter where Harry's Carl Sagan patronus totally owned everything, but couldn't. Do any gentle readers of this thread have further information or quotes?

Google tells me he first summons his Carl Sagan patronus at the end of chapter 45. But read on to chapter 46, because that's where he starts getting snotty about it, and Yud has Dumbledore be in awe of it, and they start talking about him as if he'd discovered new magic which he has the right and privilege not to teach anyone else about!

If you're looking for more obnoxiousness, check out how he thinks an adult should handle "bullies" in a position of authority over you. Chapter 18 demonstrates that his Harry Potter, whom he keeps insisting is supposed to be fully adult in every way except physically, should throw a screaming hissy fit at the first sign of a teacher not "respecting" you. And then he continues to throw a hissy fit at Snape's boss, and then he fake apologizes, but goes right back to being completely insubordinate and throwing temper tantrums repeatedly.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Iunnrais posted:

Google tells me he first summons his Carl Sagan patronus at the end of chapter 45. But read on to chapter 46, because that's where he starts getting snotty about it, and Yud has Dumbledore be in awe of it, and they start talking about him as if he'd discovered new magic which he has the right and privilege not to teach anyone else about!

If you're looking for more obnoxiousness, check out how he thinks an adult should handle "bullies" in a position of authority over you. Chapter 18 demonstrates that his Harry Potter, whom he keeps insisting is supposed to be fully adult in every way except physically, should throw a screaming hissy fit at the first sign of a teacher not "respecting" you. And then he continues to throw a hissy fit at Snape's boss, and then he fake apologizes, but goes right back to being completely insubordinate and throwing temper tantrums repeatedly.

If I remember correctly, MoR Harry was pulled out of regular school and home schooled because he bit a teacher when she was wrong, and steadfastly believes it was the right thing to do with the hysterical justification of "but she was wrong!"

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

pentyne posted:

If I remember correctly, MoR Harry was pulled out of regular school and home schooled because he bit a teacher when she was wrong, and steadfastly believes it was the right thing to do with the hysterical justification of "but she was wrong!"

That is a realistic portrayal of a certain kind of child, which makes me suspect it's autobiographical.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The thing about cryonics that I don't get is, even assuming that it can work reliably, how the hell are they going to get me frozen before my brain tissue starts degrading? That takes what, five minutes? The only thing that I can think of is freezing while I'm still alive, and that's impossible since they'd still have to replace all of my blood with antifreeze (probably not a five-minute process) before starting the freezing itself.

To be fair, you can be recovered after like an hour of drowning if you fell in barely-above-freezing water. Mammalian diving reflex is one hell of a drug.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 27, 2014

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Iunnrais posted:

I see, so the key difference between Harry and Voldemort becomes Voldemort's greater degree of emotional maturity and social ability.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The only thing that I can think of is freezing while I'm still alive, and that's impossible since they'd still have to replace all of my blood with antifreeze (probably not a five-minute process) before starting the freezing itself.

Here you go.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

That is a realistic portrayal of a certain kind of child, which makes me suspect it's autobiographical.

Well, yeah, you'd expect a smart child with relatively mild autism/aspergers to do something like that and have no concept of why its considered inappropriate, but said child is also not going to be a super-being capable of rationally explaining everything and dismantling an entire society that's existed for centuries at the age of 11.

I mean, Yud must have had parents at some point when he was at elementary/middle school age. He never speaks of being home-schooled, there's no indication of when he left schooling besides his claims of getting a 1410 on the SAT at 11, he founded his AI think tank in 2000 (at age 22), so does anyone really know what he was doing from the ages of 11-22?

...Does he think he was at Hogwarts? I wouldn't be surprised.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 28, 2014

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Antivehicular posted:

This is a perfect multiple-choice question of "what about this scenario is worst?":

a) That a nonprofit that claims to be doing work vital to the survival of humanity gives its leader a month off to write fanfiction;
b) That someone donated a month's (presumably) rent-free stay in a vacation home for the use of this guy writing fanfiction;
c) That, even given a month removed from all responsibility, the guy only gives a "greater than 50% probability" that said fanfiction will be complete by the end of the year; or
d) That, if/when Big Yud spends his month of isolation frantically masturbating to All-Purpose Cultural Catgirl Nuku Nuku and completes no writing at all, whatever insincere apology he offers will be cheerfully accepted by the people whose generosity he abused?

You're ignoring the probability of the fan going all Misery on him.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, that's a piece about Alcor, the company that Yudkowsky recommends for all aspiring head-freezers.

E: here is the book a former president of Alcor wrote about people sticking cans of tuna to the heads of the dead people they froze, and something about baseball bats? Anyway, it doesn't look good for you once you're in the vat. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003156B2C?pc_redir=1408884189&robot_redir=1

E2: Huh, apparently the author has been sued for defamation (obviously), but the lawsuit was dismissed because he went independently bankrupt. http://www.alcor.org/press/response.html

SolTerrasa fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 28, 2014

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I am unable to imagine any of his fans going violent on him, largely because I'm pretty sure all of them look down on physical pursuits as insufficiently rational and haven't any idea how to use a knife for anything more dangerous than a steak.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I was going to make a joke about the fan torturing him to demand that he bring Hermione's troll-mauled, cryogenically-preserved corpse back to life, but I'm sure that's actually how the story is going to end: Harry triumphing over death, bringing Hermione back for a big cinematic kiss! Unfortunately, tragedy strikes when Hermione reveals that the troll touched her breast while mauling her and Harry concludes that this incidental sexual assault has decreased Hermione's mate utility value enough that he must go with the thankfully rape-free Luna instead.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Now I wonder how big the overlap between LessWrong cultists and MRAs is. Yudkowsky seems like the kind of guy to buy hard into the :biotruths: stuff.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cardiovorax posted:

Now I wonder how big the overlap between LessWrong cultists and MRAs is. Yudkowsky seems like the kind of guy to buy hard into the :biotruths: stuff.

There's a decent contigent of PUAs at least.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

He seems like the kind of person who honestly believes he could logic a woman into dating him.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

Someone posted a screenshot of his okcupid profile somewhere upthread; he's looking for another submissive woman to add to his harem.

The whole thing is a fascinating read in the same way that reading Free Republic is fascinating.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

There's a decent contigent of PUAs at least.
Well, I guess that answers that, then. They're basically the same thing anyway.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Christmas Present posted:

Someone posted a screenshot of his okcupid profile somewhere upthread; he's looking for another submissive woman to add to his harem.

The whole thing is a fascinating read in the same way that reading Free Republic is fascinating.

Imagine being submissive to that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

AlbieQuirky posted:

Imagine being submissive to that.
YOU HAVE COME TO A WORLD CALLED HPMOR

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Nessus posted:

YOU HAVE COME TO A WORLD CALLED HPMOR

3^^^3 whipcracks.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Christmas Present posted:

Doesn't he... already have a full-time slave? What the gently caress do you need another one of those for?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Hobnob posted:

3^^^3 whipcracks.

But is that better or worse than a mote of dust in all of the other people in Yud's life for 3^^^3 years?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Don Gato posted:

But is that better or worse than a mote of dust in all of the other people in Yud's life for 3^^^3 years?
You know, though, does his theory account for masochism? Maybe I'd LIKE to have 3^^^3 copies of me get stepped on by a woman in high heels, for instance. Maybe that'd be a REWARD to me from the Super Future AI!

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Doesn't he... already have a full-time slave? What the gently caress do you need another one of those for?

Pimpin' ain't easy.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Antivehicular posted:

I was going to make a joke about the fan torturing him to demand that he bring Hermione's troll-mauled, cryogenically-preserved corpse back to life, but I'm sure that's actually how the story is going to end: Harry triumphing over death, bringing Hermione back for a big cinematic kiss! Unfortunately, tragedy strikes when Hermione reveals that the troll touched her breast while mauling her and Harry concludes that this incidental sexual assault has decreased Hermione's mate utility value enough that he must go with the thankfully rape-free Luna instead.

ahahaha what is Hermione really dead and in cryogenic storage?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's like Pokemon, isn't it?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Swan Oat posted:

I haven't actually read HPMOR -- I have better things to do with my time, like cleaning the cat box and staring aimlessly at walls -- but I've definitely read in the thread that this is a real plot development. Hermione gets mauled to death by the dungeon troll (since apparently this story is still happening in the first year?) and Harry has her frozen in the infirmary or something because HE WILL CONQUER DEATH!. Or something?

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax

AlbieQuirky posted:

It's like Pokemon, isn't it?

Nah it's like Pokegirls except a bit less hideous.

Anyway, I would like to remind everyone out the sad state of humanity that Arron Swartz liked this abomination of a wank-fic.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Swan Oat posted:

Came to post this. Did Voldequirrel still child logic a troll into the school at Halloween/harry's birthday?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
The troll attack was there, killed Hermione but I don't remember the cryogenics thing and I'm not going back to check.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Try asking a plantation owner.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Namarrgon posted:

The troll attack was there, killed Hermione but I don't remember the cryogenics thing and I'm not going back to check.

It happened, Harry's immediate crisis response was to attempt to get her core body temperature down as quickly as possible. Nobody else wanted to do this because it's dumb. This makes them deathists, I think? I don't think he convinced them that it was worth it.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

one of the best written fanfics posted:

Dumbledore was also looking healthier, though not fully restored. The old wizard's head turned for a moment, locked eyes with Professor Quirrell, then looked back to Harry. "Harry," Dumbledore said, "are you about to collapse in exhaustion and possibly die?"

"No, strangely enough," Harry said. "That took something out of me, but a lot less than I thought it would." Or maybe it gave something back, as well as taking... "Honestly, I expected my body to be hitting the ground with a thud about now."

There was a distinct body-hitting-the-ground-with-a-thuddish sort of sound.

How do people read this poo poo

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Easy, read exclusively Douglas Adams and watch exclusively Joss Whedon shows.

Malderi
Nov 27, 2005
There are three fundamental forces in this universe: matter, energy, and enlighted self-interest.
Let's make fun of something new, like Yudkowsky officiating at a wedding.

http://lesswrong.com/lw/dqz/a_marriage_ceremony_for_aspiring_rationalists/

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

quote:

But in this day, and within this community, marriage necessarily takes on a different meaning. 'Until death do you part' is a different concept if you suspect that indefinite lifespan extension may be invented sometime in the next few decades. Once, getting married at age 20 meant you were probably a quarter of the way through your life. In this day, and in this community, you know that you might actually be getting married at zero point zero zero zero and some more zeroes one percent of the way through your life.

:newlol:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Djeser posted:

Easy, read exclusively Douglas Adams and watch exclusively Joss Whedon shows.

And think fanfiction is high art, instead of mediocre at best authors simply rewriting established IP with their own twists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Malderi posted:

Let's make fun of something new, like Yudkowsky officiating at a wedding.

http://lesswrong.com/lw/dqz/a_marriage_ceremony_for_aspiring_rationalists/

It's totally not a religion, guys.

• Locked thread